• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Mmmkay... here we go:

• Wonder Momo
  • Bravoman
  • Tower of Druaga
  • Legend of Valkyrie
  • Burning Force
  • Dig Dug
  • Gradius & Salamander
  • Captain Commando
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins / Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Lucas Arts Adventures (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, ...)
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Balloon Fight
  • Shin Onigashima
  • Space Invaders
  • Arkanoid / Alleyway
  • Duck Hunt
  • Act Raiser
  • Shining-series (Shining Force, ...)
  • Ristar
  • Out Run
  • Phantasy Star
  • Lost Vikings
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Metal Slug (although it's not really "retro")

That's what I can think of scratch.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Chief Mendez draws awesomely. He did a kickass Mach Rider artwork (check the MYM Social Group to see it).

Since some classic characters aren't really available in a nicely drawn version (because hardly appeared ever again) I was asking Mendez if he did some art for me.

Oh, and about the forgotten-list, how could I forget DIG DUG

Edit: And Out Run. Durr...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mmmkay... here we go:

• Wonder Momo
  • Bravoman
  • Tower of Druaga
  • Legend of Valkyrie
  • Burning Force
  • Gradius & Salamander
  • Captain Commando
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins / Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Lucas Arts Adventures (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, ...)
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Balloon Fight
  • Shin Onigashima
  • Space Invaders
  • Arkanoid / Alleyway
  • Duck Hunt
  • Act Raiser
  • Shining-series (Shining Force, ...)
  • Ristar
  • Phantasy Star
  • Lost Vikings
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Metal Slug (although it's not really "retro")

That's what I can think of scratch.
Okay so...just to be clear, you're suggesting I'd simply redesign these characters, right? You're not thinking I'd actually make a whole moveset for any of them, correct?

Because honestly the only one I could see a moveset for are Erik, Baleov and Olaf...and maybe Ristar...and possibly Tarma (but only because I love Metal Slug so much--yeah, it's not really "retro").

If, however, you're just thinking of me making a neat picture for one of them, that you'd then use in a moveset...sure, I think we can work something out there. :bee:

Smady

Smash Master
The MYM... social group. Wut?

I shall never believe that Mendez is more than a pretty face who can copy and paste movesets. :flame:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Okay so...just to be clear, you're suggesting I'd simply redesign these characters, right? You're not thinking I'd actually make a whole moveset for any of them, correct?

Because honestly the only one I could see a moveset for are Erik, Baleov and Olaf...and maybe Ristar...and possibly Tarma (but only because I love Metal Slug so much--yeah, it's not really "retro").

If, however, you're just thinking of me making a neat picture for one of them, that you'd then use in a moveset...sure, I think we can work something out there. :bee:
In fact I only was stating that I'd like to see more Retro characters, since they have a lot of potential to be highly awesome and all. ^_^

Oh cool, a Lost Vikings moveset... is it gonna have Scorch and Fang as ATs, maybe? Ristar would be very nice, too.

Yeah, some pics would be nice... Mainly for Kirby hats, though. Do you think you'd be able to pull off Kirby hats? If yes, I'll contact you if I'm in need. :3

Also, now that I listed all of these Classics, I think I will include a lot of Retro Namco stuff into my Wonder Momo moveset (Stages, ATs, Items, Bosses, ...). I'm already having ideas.

Edit:
@Smash Daddy:
MYM Social Group

Smady

Smash Master
Those are indeed very good drawings, but I hope this kind of conversation and level of privacy between members isn't carried over to MYM4; it's unwelcoming. It should be reserved for private messages.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Mendez is ... a pretty face
*blushes*

Spadefox said:
Yeah, some pics would be nice... Mainly for Kirby hats, though. Do you think you'd be able to pull off Kirby hats? If yes, I'll contact you if I'm in need. :3
I'm actually making a Kirby Hat for Mach Rider, so just wait and see how well that turns out before you go requesting them for your own people.

To date the only Kirby Hat I've done is one for MasterWarlord's Magikarp moveset, which I daresay is a work of art rivaling that of Donatello or indeed, Michelangelo himself.

Smash Daddy said:
I hope this kind of conversation and level of privacy between members isn't carried over to MYM4; it's unwelcoming.
How do you mean? I never said I'd only help out Spade, or anything like that. Man, if we wanted privacy, we'd be talking about this vis PMs, right?

Smady

Smash Master
How do you mean? I never said I'd only help out Spade, or anything like that. Man, if we wanted privacy, we'd be talking about this vis PMs, right?
I edited. :psycho:

Once the offer is extended, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss private matters in this thread surrounding particular
blow
jobs given between users. I'm not a COMMIE, though, so what I propose is moot. :urg:

Smady

Smash Master
Pfft, I'll un-bunch my panties when you remove your puckered lips from Spadefox's clenched butthole, Mendez. :embarrass

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Wow, there's been more random newb movesets in the last few days that in the last month. How... coincidental.

Reviews cooooming up! And advertisements, too! Unless someone else wants to publicize smasherk's N. Tropy...

By the way, I'm thinking you may have missed my question, half_silver:

Also, half_silver, are you only going to list the winner of each category, or the top 3, or the top something depending on the category?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
@TWILTY: I'm sorry. I actually started reading through your Drake & Josh 'set, with the intent of probably making an ad for it...but Lord...I just can't do it.

I just hate that show so much. :mad: Maybe--MAYBE I'll do one for Leonardo.
Lol....did you even watch the show? It's hilarious!

SRSLY, i did finish reworking Drake and Josh. Someonez checkz it out.

Someone advertise one of my movesets. NAO.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
GENESIS

Yeah, it's The_Great_Panda's turn! This is the last of my original queue, so let's hop to it!

RELEVANCE TO CHARACTER: The most vital element of his character - degradation - is definitely present here. Plenty of wing attacks and sword attacks. I could surely see Genesis playing like this if he made it in. 8/10

DETAIL: Well, I think you did quite a good job explaining stuff in a little space. You've got lag, range, and all the essentials on pretty much all the attacks. The descriptions themselves are a bit vague at times; see Neutral Air for an example. 7/10

BALANCE: In a way, Genesis seems like Ike with a better recovery. His stats and many attacks certainly seem to suggest that. Not to mention his multiple projectiles and high power Aerials - and ridiculous throws. He isn't broken, but he does seem overpowered to an extent. High or top tier, methinks. 6/10

ORIGINALITY: Most feather attacks and all look interesting. I'm a huge fan of the Up Smash. However, your specials all seem a bit dry, with the Down B being the only really interesting one among them. Degradation is neat, but not the most fascinating mechanic. All it really does is make you even easier to kill at higher %s. But is anyone likely to get to 300% to see it? Still, not too bad in this department; little to no attacks are cloned, it seems. 7/10

PLAYSTYLE: Pretty cool, for another swordsman. His single wing adds a more aerial element to his wall of giant sword. His projectiles seem arbitrary, but of course go with his character. The playstyle section is sadly brief and hard to read, but at least you have one. Not bad. 6/10

ORGANIZATION: Eeesh... grammar and spelling mistakes abound. And there's way too much colour. The neon paragraphs are really painful. And your headers should probably be more descriptive and bigger. Not horrible, but could be better. 6/10

EXTRAS: Plenty of them, as in all of your movesets. They don't have the detail of Cervantes - and this one doesn't have the detail of your later Fayt - but they're there. +2

OVERALL: An interesting twist on the traditional swordsman. This is a kind of neat moveset, but I do believe Fayt Liengod was your best work. It's those dang bland specials that really drag you down; that, and the amount of pros compared to the few cons.

42/60

Coming up (hopefully today): I pick apart one of the Chief's movesets! How will Naota hold up? Don't miss it!

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
LEONARDO

Hyper Ridley said:
Leonardo looks good.
Cheap Josh said:
Nice Ninja Turtle moveset TWILTHERO, I like those spritesets you used as visual aid. Cool stuff.
Mantlecore77 said:
TWILTHERO, you do Leonardo so much justice that I may just piss my pants.
MasterWarlord said:
I'm amazed how much you've improved, Twilit Hero, that moveset is really exceptional, the sprites help a lot.
Mantlecore77 said:
Oh, I do have room to say one thing: TWILTHERO, Leonardo is godly. The visual aid is kick *** and is deffinately from one of my fav fighting games as a kid. Vanilla Ice fits in well, and I seriously watched that youtube video. Good work.
MasterWarlord's Review said:
Originality: Considering you ripped most of the moves directly from a 2D game, you’d think they wouldn’t be original. . .But they surprisingly translate well into Smash and most of them are rather unique motions, making for interesting attacks.
Detail Nazi's Review said:
Detail: You never go on too long with your attack descriptions, yet you still give me a very good picture in my mind of the move. It’s not as much your words that do the talking as it is the pictures, which greatly help in getting me to figure out how the move basically works, and keeps you from really needing to have to say that much.
Balance: Leonardo has a lot of fast moves, but thankfully they’re for the most part short ranged, even his projectiles. Leonardo also lacks very reliable KO moves, although he can still KO in the higher percents, keeping him from being too under or over powered.
Relevance to character: As Chief Mendez said in his review, most of this is true to Leonardo.
Organization: This moveset is by far the easiest on the eyes I’ve seen due to the pictures.
Overall: By far your best moveset, it was a real turning point for you when you released this one, TwiltHero. I still personally feel this moveset is your best, the use of pictures being really phenomenal. Sweet moveset.
Chief Mendez's Review said:
Fitting to Character: This is basically spot-on. 9/10
Chief Mendez's Review said:
It’s a **** fine moveset. So maybe it was pretty easy making moves for him by just copy and pasting his moveset from some other games. I can’t fault you for that, and it actually makes the moveset more true-to-character, so everybody wins!
Chief Mendez's Review" said:
FINAL = 27/40
This moveset was the spark that made TwiltHero vastly improve his movesets, it was his turning point. After this one is released, all his future movesets were much better, and he even revised his old movesets to match this new quality. Leonardo is to TwiltHero as Voldo is to me, only Leonardo is still good by today's standards. This is one of two movesets which make excellent use of pictures to illustrate to make the moveset a joy to read, the other being Dancingfrogman's Tails. This is still Twilthero's best moveset IMO, give it a read and decide for yourself.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Lol....did you even watch the show? It's hilarious!

SRSLY, i did finish reworking Drake and Josh. Someonez checkz it out.

Someone advertise one of my movesets. NAO.
It looks a lot better than before, but Josh's aerials are really underdetailed. Still, I'd certainly consider it at least a "good" move set now.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
MasterWarlord said:
This is one of two movesets which make excellent use of pictures to illustrate to make the moveset a joy to read, the other being Dancingfrogman's Tails.
Oh there are more than that. If I remember correctly, Chao had some pictures in it...but I think along with Leonardo's exemplary use of them, both of HeoandReo's movesets are excellent examples of how inserting pictures into the moveset can really help illustrate an author's point.

Plus I think Dan Hibiki is one of, if not my only favorite moveset in the contest. :chuckle:

I'm planning on popping up a dual-ad for both of them later, but for now: check this sh*t out!

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
It looks a lot better than before, but Josh's aerials are really underdetailed. Still, I'd certainly consider it at least a "good" move set now.
Yeah thanks. I'll add detail to Josh later tonight.....and finally giving me enough time to finish my SSEs future 6-8 chapters :dizzy: Yay, Drake and Josh is now a good moveset.
:chuckle:

Yay for advetising my movesets!!! Thanks Warlord.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I love it so much.

If he were in the game I'd never play as anyone else. Seriously, nobody. Ever.

EDIT - Also BEST FINAL SMASH OF ALL TIME
Which one, the 999% self-damage, or the epic taunt montage? Becuause I nearly had a heart attack from both of them. Seriously, the only thing I would have changed is that if he competes all of his taunts, he instintly wins due to the epicness.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Behold my little preview to Guntz~

Final Smash
Shinigami Fire
"Just when you thought it couldn't get worse..."
... Guntz grabs the Smash Ball. Which, in fact, is bad news. To anyone who's not Guntz. Shinigami Fire is a very vicious Final Smash... When activating, Guntz strikes this pose while grinning. He then exclaims "Ora ora ora!" and jumps up into the air. The screen then shows this picture of him sliding in and out of the screen after a second, Guntz shouting "Shinigami Fire!" and then the Final Smash starts, with Guntz floating invincibly in mid-air. First Guntz uses his missile launcher, sending out a barrage of whopping 10 missiles in a circle shape. The missiles are semi-homing, and slightly follow any enemy near them to explode in the size of a Bob-Omb blast, doing 20% damage each hit and very good knockback (think of an averagely strong Smash). After the missiles are sent out, Guntz changes to the revolver of his father and aims it at an enemy, then firing it. A bullet (looking like a beam) is shot - it flies quickly and if it hits its target, the latter will recieve 0% damage, however, is knocked out immediately.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
After the missiles are sent out, Guntz changes to the revolver of his father and aims it at an enemy, then firing it. A bullet (looking like a beam) is shot - it flies quickly and if it hits its target, the latter will recieve 0% damage, however, is knocked out immediately.
Guntz's Father for God-tier!
Actually, never mind, Sakurai would give Meta Knight the ability to be immune to his beams

But seriously, that's a cool final smash, When I read the name I was expecting just a souped-up version of his down-special.

@Darkurai: Yes, sadly, you missed the deadline.:(

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Guntz's Father for God-tier!

But seriously, that's a cool final smash, When I read the name I was expecting just a souped-up version of his down-special.
Guntz' father is dead. ;-;

And I first thought of giving him a spiced up version of his N Air (which you mortals don't know yet! >=D) before switching to the one gunshot - which I think is more true to game, and adds that gun I couldn't use but wanted to pretty well.
I will get a picture for that gun when I post up the complete moveset in MYM 4.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Boo! OHKO's are (almost) never a good idea!

Especially when it's coupled with a barrage of super-powerful homing missiles. Seriously, who cares if it does 0% or 100% damage if it always, without fail, KOs it's target?

@Hyper Ridley: BOTH OF THEM

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Boo! OHKO's are (almost) never a good idea!

Especially when it's coupled with a barrage of super-powerful homing missiles. Seriously, who cares if it does 0% or 100% damage if it always, without fail, KOs it's target?
Fact is, though, that it's easy to dodge. It's a projectile. It can even be shielded (even if not completely) - I should add that to the description. Oh, and the missiles are not homing, they're semi-homing, which means in this case that a.) the enemy has to be near and b.) they're only going into the direction and are - as well - easy to dodge.

@Hyper_Ridley:
XD

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Fact is, though, that it's easy to dodge. It's a projectile. It can even be shielded (even if not completely) - I should add that to the description. Oh, and the missiles are not homing, they're semi-homing, which means in this case that a.) the enemy has to be near and b.) they're only going into the direction and are - as well - easy to dodge.

@Hyper_Ridley:
XD
That made me think of something. Can projectile Final Smashes be reflected (I.E. Mario Finale)? Becuase then Guntz wouldn't be overpowered at all, becuase he could be auto KOd by his own attack.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.

I guess I will think of a system for that one projectile - I want to keep it in the FS, since it fits to Guntz and something as epic as a Final Smash (same goes for the missile barrage, which is in fact resembling the real Shinigami Fire).

Junahu

Smash Ace
That made me think of something. Can projectile Final Smashes be reflected (I.E. Mario Finale)?
Mario Finale isn't really a projectile FS for the same reason Samus' isn't.
Better examples would be the peanuts from Diddy's FS and the fireballs from Yoshi's, which I'm pretty sure can be reflected.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Mario Finale isn't really a projectile FS for the same reason Samus' isn't.
Better examples would be the peanuts from Diddy's FS and the fireballs from Yoshi's, which I'm pretty sure can be reflected.
If you mean becuase it's a beam, I'm pretty sure that Bowser's Fire Breath can be reflected despite it being less of a projectile than Mario Finale. But I don't want to argue technicalities, so I'll just leave it at that.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
[nandaba naota]

Mendez, you're up. I've already reviewed a set from one of the dastardly duo - Warlord's Cervantes - now let's see how one of your more recent movesets stacks up to your fabled Dracula.

//:[rELEVANCE TO CHARACTER/]
Now, I've never watched Fooly Cooly, but your passion for the show and its character shine through in every aspect of the moveset. Many attacks seem so true to the source material that they're hard for someone who hasn't watched it to understand. The whole N.O. Channel thing pretty much goes over my head, but I can see at a glance that you're being as faithful as possible to the show. 10/10

//:[dETAIL/]
Mendez's talent for condensing his writing comes through again. Although the paragraphs are all fairly brief, pretty much everything that's even vaguely important is covered. A select few attacks are kind of tricky to envisage - very few, though - but for the most part, description is top notch. I have nothing to complain about here; you even mention when and why to use everything. 9/10

//:[bALANCE/]
Naota's Up Tilt seems a bit too convenient, depending on how long it takes for your batteries to run out. His Down Smash seems slightly overpowered, again, depending on how long the pause between strums is. However, this moveset mostly leans towards weakness. Both his N.O. channels and Canti transformation take time to be charged, and Naota on his own is kind of weak; he doesn't even have a proper Up B! On the other hand, he has useful attacks here and there - like the aforementioned - and when charged, Canti is beastly. On the whole, everything cancels itself out neatly. And that's good. 8/10

//:[oRIGINALITY/]
For the most part, your attacks are ridiculously unique. Seriously, it's a challenge to find a single one that is even slightly resembling anything already in the game. The Canti change is pretty much different from every other transformation in the thread, and most guitar-based attacks stand out against other weapon attacks. Down B is a counter, I suppose, but it has a twist. Oh, and your throws are the most creative ones I've ever seen in a moveset. 9/10

//:[pLAYSTYLE/]
Naota has a very interesting moveset, what with his many guitar attacks. The spacing provided by the sonic waves and robotic aspect of half his specials give him a very distinctive feel. There's no overarching mechanic, unless you're thinking of the Canti transformation, but the attacks are unique enough to make up for it. And the item attacks - like his tilts - add to the feel. 8/10

//:[oRGANIZATION/]
Crazily awesome use of various symbols - which I've copied for this review, because they're just that cool - colour on the attack names, bbcode, the attack-info layout... and the headers. This really couldn't be any better here. Fantastic layout indeed. 10/10

//:[eXTRAS/]
Going against tradition, you've got quite a few of them this time around. Again, it's probably because of the character you're working on. Anyway, they're pretty good, so points for you. +2

//:[oVERALL/]
I think that, if the character was more well known and as generally awesome as Dracula, this moveset would be almost as popular. As is, this obscure character is doomed to be forgotten (although hopefully this review will remind people of it). You show the same creativity, detail, and easy writing style. I only wish I was more familiar with Naota himself. Well, that's why you're one of the top moveset makers of the thread, and why I'm so looking forward to Mach Rider and Deoxys.

56/60

Everyone else: Go check this moveset out now. It's really very very very good. If you enjoyed Dracula at all, check it out. And while you're at it, check out Bill and Lance; I liked that one even more than this, and almost as much as I liked The Count himself.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Horray! I take it that TDO is next? =D
Indeed he is! Although, at a glance, it doesn't look like it'll take me too long to review him... his grab attack is "puches"...

LOLCHILLINZ :laugh:

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, I think I just bumped the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom