• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
Brinstar is bad vs anyone who knows how to play D3, Snake, or DK..which is a lot of people. That's the problem CPing there. I don't know why you'd want to take a D3 there. If he grabs you on the jellies, he gets an infinite and his BThrow kills at absurd percents. All in all Brinstar is just too small to be comfortadble against any other character too. I can't see how you like it at all. :/

buenob

Smash Lord
lol sonic boom to grab to sonic boom to grab was totally bannable :p

back onto topic, I absolutely hate brinstar, and once again sudai hit the key point... the level is too danged small!!!

rob relies heavily on gimping his opponent, but all 3 gimpable directions are covered... downwards there is a fairly large chance that there will be melty cheese i mean lava so even though they will take damage, they're not dead... and to the sides, pretty much any character can easily make it back to the stage if they don't die from the hit, so not only is there less room to gimp, robs amazing recovery is neutralized because it's not really needed ever

i ban brinstar every match i play unless I know the person has a favourite level (usually luigi's mansion if it's legal or some people really like rainbow cruise and PS1)

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
So yeah, I've been beaten by almost every Kirby I've played recently. There must be something I'm missing here, any advice?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Good stuff Sudai. Now we play the waiting game...

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Question:

Are Glide Tosses and Wavebounce the only ATs that R.O.B. posses?

I am not trying to infer that ATs are completely what makes up for R.O.B. being good. But is there anything else that there is to learn for advance stuff?

Sudai

Stuff here
Gyro Cancel. Press a shield button a few frames after you start charging your gyro. Useful for mid-air turn arounds.

Pivot Grabbing is probably more useful than anything but glide tossing for ROB, imo. Even that's not that great.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Gyro Cancel. Press a shield button a few frames after you start charging your gyro.
I think that's the wrong way to look at it...

whether it's technically correct is irrelevant, because the implication is misleading...

anyway.

easiest way to think about it: press shield as soon as the gyro comes out [does not work when gyro is fully charged]

emergency

Smash Journeyman
XD

I apologize for not being clear enough. Assume a R.O.B. has learned all the ATs from current wits. Is there anything more to learn? (This is sort of confusing, but I think I am trying to say will there be any new ATs to spring on enemies?)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ATs are really unnecessary with ROB for the most part. The only ATs I really use are glidetossing and occasional wavebouncing. I can't remember the last time I actually used gyrocancelling to do something other than look flashy.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be proficient with his ATs, but the only one you absolutely must know to play ROB at a high level is glidetossing (also happens to be the easiest).

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It'd be nice to know if there were any new AT's coming out, emergency, but until then, just work on spacing and playstyles against different characters. It's good to have a few robotic tricks up your sleeve when playing... anyone. Like when you dthrow somebody at 0%, when they start catching on to you doing a followup upair, you can just shorthop and hit them after their airdodge (which they'll be doing nearly 100% of the time for awhile after they get hit with it for the first time or two)

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow -> Uair; It's a fun thing to do at low percents.

I guess I need to work on a lot of things in general to beat others.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
My question...

Anywhere between a month and two months ago, I finally mastered the walk-up-and-powershield-wolf's-blasters thing. It's nice, you should all learn it, makes wolf a LOT easier, (etc.). I keep hearing people say that fair is disjointed enough to cancel out wolf's blasters without taking damage too. When I bother to stop approaching via shielding and try to fair my way through, I get the damage and stun too. I've gotten it to cancel a grand total of once (fresh), but it definitely happened. Is this something I should bother pursuing? Or are people just wrong to say that fair in any way is enough to get through the blasters? I'm fine with sticking to approaching by powershielding them, but is it possible to consistently do this?

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Hm. I got that certain responce also. It could mean off-stage. Where Wolf is firing from then you can cancel them out with Fair, since you can't powersheild in the air? I am not sure by that either, but that's how I look at it.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I was pretty sure that you can't cancel Wolf's blasters with fair. I never formally tested it but I've never seen anything stop his blaster short of a reflector or a physical object (like the gyro).

Sudai

Stuff here
I've never bothered trying to FAir them. Even if you could, I'm sure walking powershields would be better as you have a -lot- more options than SH FAir approaches.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I've never bothered trying to FAir them. Even if you could, I'm sure walking powershields would be better as you have a -lot- more options than SH FAir approaches.
This.

And as for ATs, I am growing to love the instant pivot grab and the shutter step more and more every day. Pivot grab seems to snatch people right out of the air occasionally. B reversals/wavebounces are also pretty sweet.

Sudai

Stuff here
Canceling a charge isn't that advanced...it's pretty..common sense, I would think.

Wave bounced up-b falls under "wavebouncing."

"lasers whatever"? You'd have to be more specific as the only thing I can think to do with lasers is bounce them off at different angles, reverse them, or wave bounce them.

DAir cancel is just using auto-cancel.

I've never heard of an AT called "blah blah blah", care to explain. ; D <3

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
NL we were talking about most of that stuff already. I'm surprised you didn't mention gyrocanceling though, do you not know about that one? Cause it's a lot more useful than charge canceling and dair canceling.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
what exactly is wavebouncing anyway?
I may have done it, but I've never used that term.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
I believe that it is technically just turning around really fast; changing your direction.

I know all the ATs that have been found to this point. I was just infering that is there anymore to learn?

I am learning my friend's Pit, little by little. Thanks for the all the feedback from you guys!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, is there an operating ROB Finder thread? I've used the search function, but characters other than ROB came up. I'm just wondering because I play a decent ROB and I wouldn't mind posting up my details so people can challenge me if they wish. Thanks in advance!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I guess no one bothered to learn my Charge Cancel AT. Rob can use it as well as most charge characters.
could you explain this in more detail? because otherwise I'm just going to assume you're just pressing shield, while charging the gyro on the ground, and immediately doing anything that you could have normally done out of shield, only the shield doesn't actually come out between the charge and the out-of-shield option.........which isn't an AT, just a good application of something basic in the game >_>

you kinda perplex me though...you know so much about this game, beat the country's best players around in tournament, and yet you not only make effort to note things that aren't that impressive but you also make videos with mediocre tricks against mediocre players to show off.

I hope you understand that I respect/acknowledge your skill and knowledge when it comes to this game, but your behavior/actions [specifically what I just mentioned] simply confuse me.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Aloha R.O.B. community!

I'd just like to throw a big thank you to everybody contributing to this thread. Was actually quite sad this is all there is, reading these 187 pages have helped my noobish R.O.B. game improve dramatically. Even though some characters (especially Olimar, what the heck is up with that guys!) have been discussed dozens of times with the same comments, all this gave me not only a good understanding of R.O.B.'s moveset, followups, general strategies and matchups but also an insight in the group of players that developed this all.

So here you go: Muffins all around!

To those posting in this thread: I highly, highly recommend reading the whole of it first. Sure it might be a bit daunting but when you get through the Chozen and Nacker spam it gets even better! Seeing how many questions have been posted twice or even up to ten times, chances are high your question isn't new either.

All that said, what do you think of my 'training regime'?
1) Learn to glidetoss properly.
2) Try to find a tournament in the Netherlands (which is where I live, yes. I recommend doing "Special Brawl"s with weird setups and good friends when smokin' stoned to everybody) and measure my wits.
3) Play people and try not to suck.

Once again: Thank you for being awesomely helpful =)

Top Bottom