• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Cia

das kwl
seriously. what is Mario going to do, avoid sheik's grabs?? LOL

I actually learned it while playing against boss. when he got a grab, it was like.. almost a death combo every stock. so I just started doing millions a mix-ups that ultimately led to me getting grabs and Fairing the **** out of Dr/Mario.

Yay @ us using a broken character.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
seriously. what is Mario going to do, avoid sheik's grabs?? LOL

I actually learned it while playing against boss. when he got a grab, it was like.. almost a death combo every stock. so I just started doing millions a mix-ups that ultimately led to me getting grabs and Fairing the **** out of Dr/Mario.

Yay @ us using a broken character.

sheik is pretty broken. the sky is the limit with sheik. the tough part is the spacing and the smartz. easy to pick up, hard to get great with.

the grabs from mario/doc are only a small part of it, me thinks. a lot of sheiks don't edgeguard properly and stop di'ing after hits. this usually happens with a lot of low tiers.

my question: anyone have any idea how to beat ice's? i've been hoping for a thread completely dedicated to it but nothing has shown up. the ice b1tches are underrated

Bakasquad5

Smash Apprentice
Ride the Hurricane Road Artist formerly known as t
dont get grabd is number 1, they can chaingrab you with one icie so yah getting grabd = bad, i play the ice's all the time and it pisses me off to no end, dsmash separates them but is punishable so careful, needles separate well too, tilt a lot, ftilt/dtilt work great, space well and fair a lot, pretty much what shiek does to everyone, just not as many grabs

also killing nana has its ups and downs, you can still get chain grabd so only kill nana when not being able to be punished for it, but killing nana allows you to get grabs of your own so up to you, i usually just go for sopo myself

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
my question: anyone have any idea how to beat ice's? i've been hoping for a thread completely dedicated to it but nothing has shown up. the ice b1tches are underrated
Use the 9000000 Back Airs combo. Alternatively, the 90000000 Forward Airs combo is also good.

Don't run into Blizzards. If they have a Blizzard out and an Ice Block floating along the ground and Popo's lag from the Ice Block is done and he can do whatever he wants if you attack him then... don't come down and attack him. This sounds stupid but it will preserve many stocks. When it doesn't look safe to attack it probably isn't.

Needles are good but not super good. Your aerials are what win this matchup more than anything else. Your aerial - needle ratio should strongly favour the aerials.

Don't get complacent. Their WD Uair is gay to platform camping because of how brokenly long and thick IC WD is. So don't like... stop to smell the daisies. Keep your skanky ninja-buttocks moving. Also, make use of the top platform when you platform camp if it's available.

Kill Nana whenever you can.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
typically i'll go peach on ice's but that's not that much fun.

ppl have told me to just constantly shffl f-air the climbers just to rack up damage and space **** out. does that work?

also, can someone explain how to DI out of the grabs? btw, wd---> dsmash out of shield is sooooooo broken for the climbers.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
I think Sheik vs ICs is pretty easy.

Short hop fair/bair. This is your bread and butter.

Like KK said, never approach when they're Blizzarding. Just charge needles and wait for it to be over.

For the first 30 percent or so, you have to play extra cautious because they just spam CC and/or shield grab and hope to get a grab. Just space everything and you'll be fine. I pretty much only exclusively needle / bair until they get that percent. Then you can sh in their face spamming aerials (mainly fair) to ftilt. One ftilt to fair combo and they're broken up, so go kill Nana. If they're ever above you, utilt. They get trapped in it quite easily.

Once you get it down to just one, it's really easy. Play really carefully and he/she can't touch you. I spam needles to make sure they approach me, then just space with aerials. I never dsmash in this matchup and rarely dash attack or jab; dash attack only at highish percents and/or when there's just one IC.

Once you realize how limited ICs are, it's not very hard at all. Space and you won't get grabbed, like, ever. Outside of that you just have to avoid their stupid things that all good ICs spam; wd to utilt; wd to fsmash/dsmash; uair to bair; hell, uair in general.

Razor, yes it works. To DI out of the dair chaingrab, just buffer a roll or spot dodge. The roll works because they always go for the grab, assuming it'll CG, so you get away easily.

Oh yeah, I play Fly all the time and he'll switch in Brawl CGs and randomly smash out of them to catch you DIing wrong. Just wait until you see a smash coming before you DI so you don't die early. If you DI properly they have a very hard time killing you as long as you watch out for the really obvious (but equally gay) wd to smash / wd to jab to smash (or grab).

Cia

das kwl
I go peach when I'm just not in the mood for their ****.

otherwise I'd just Ice Climber ditto :laugh:

sheik ***** ICz though. I just Dthrow one, Fair the **** out of the other. Dsmash when they sandwich you. it's a brainless match up. as for getting grabbed by them.. LOL. who gets grabbed anymore??

Cia

das kwl
well, I'm the only ICz user in the NY, NJ, PA tri-state area. Eggm secondaries them though. But I can assure you that his ICz are fine so it's not a matter of playing better people.

they have a HUGE flaw. any character that can just relentlessly wail on them will **** them. wether they're sheilding or not.

soap

Smash Hero
dont mess up the chaingrabs

u gotta learn dynamics of the "getting a grab in" game and learn how to safeguard yourself

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I pretend I'm Link.

edit: I'm really not good at Sheik dittos. In general I find it awesome to be behind the other guy and to fight mostly with spaced Nair and Bair though. With plenty of needles.

Her ground game is probably what wins her this matchup though.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
SHEIK used SAFEGUARD!
A mystical aura veils CanISmash's party.
Enemy SHEIK used CHAINGRAB!
But it failed...

Cia

das kwl
LOL.. unless chain grab was a status affliction.. then safeguard would fail miserably. protect plz :D

I'll be back later when I wake up some more to talk about Sheik v Fox :D

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Chain Grab is basically RBY Wrap / Fire Spin / Bind only with a lot more accuracy.

Safeguard is shield. That thing ain't gonna do ****.

Protect doesn't fail against Wrap but does with repeated usage. So spam Protect wisely. Drephen gets lucky because his Protect never fails despite using it 8 times in a row.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
I know Mind Games are your own doing, but what do you guys do to trick your opponent? I find it tough for me to be tricky with her.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
There are no tricks.

Merely variations of kicking people.

With systematic pimp slapping and acupuncture at proper intervals.

And that is all you need youngling.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Protect + Detect =P

Wrap was awesome. Get a Shuckle, give him Wrap, Protect, Rest and Toxic. And let the fun begin.

Cia

das kwl
shuckle wasn't there for RBY so wrap wouldn't have been as good.

in RBY, Agility + Fire Spin was like.. a legit strategy LOL.
---------------------------------------

Some Sheik v Fox stuff

Seeing as how this thread was created by Teczero, i'm sure he's covered this match up many times over. but for those who don't feel like searching for the conversation about it, I'll say a few things about it.

Platform intensive stages (Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland)

The key to beating fox with sheik at all is to be pretty good at predicting their movements. generally, all foxes do the same stuff (ex. rushing you with nair when forced to the end of the stage.) recognizing these patterns is a great start. Basic platform play can be pretty effective (especially on battlefield) Tech chasing is YOUR BEST FRIEND. get good at it. it makes the match up look really even. When fox is grounded on a platform. How you should respond is very dependent on his percentage.

20% - 40% - Uair. good foxes will usually CC the aerial. this will re-ground them. just repeat the process. if catching the Uair becomes too difficult. Nair or fair is ok just for the sake of building damage.

40% - 60% - Uair > Fair. You want him off of the stage early. Use needles to snipe fox as he tries to recover. You obviously don't want him to come back. eliminate his options quickly.

60+ - Fair through the platform. Simplicity is best because with fox, things can change for the worst in an instant. limit recovery options > edge guard.

Things not to do: A good fox will always be faster then Sheik. Do not challenge is speed. simply be prepared for. When fox is working the platforms. Bair is a great spacing tool. and will usually knock him right out of all his crap. even if they sheild it, do another one. as long as it's spaced.

Do not approach with short-hop Fair at low percentages. he will just CC > combo you. in fact, don't do alot of things at low percentages LOL. as dumb as that sounds, most sheik stuff gets CC'd. spaced bairs are ok if you really like your aerials. Grabs are incredible right now. if you land one Dthrow tech chase. if you are lucky enough to get a fox who tech-rolls near the ledge, tech chase Dsmash, and proceed to edge guard. Charged needles are essential for speeding up the early damage process.

* After Dthrow, sometimes i just stand there and charge needles. if they decide to getup attack, just shieldgrag. if they roll dodge behind you, you can actually stop charging and still have time to run backwards and grab. if they tech-roll forward, you can either throw the needles, or just keep charging til you fill up for later use. <3 Dthrow
----------------------------------

i'll cover FD and FoD later.. maybe <_<

teco - if you know where it is, put a link to conversations about match ups on the first page so that we don't have to keep re-visiting the same match ups. and we're going to **** at today's tournament :D

soap

Smash Hero
shuckle wasn't there for RBY so wrap wouldn't have been as good.

in RBY, Agility + Fire Spin was like.. a legit strategy LOL.
---------------------------------------

Some Sheik v Fox stuff

Seeing as how this thread was created by Teczero, i'm sure he's covered this match up many times over. but for those who don't feel like searching for the conversation about it, I'll say a few things about it.

Platform intensive stages (Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland)

The key to beating fox with sheik at all is to be pretty good at predicting their movements. generally, all foxes do the same stuff (ex. rushing you with nair when forced to the end of the stage.) recognizing these patterns is a great start. Basic platform play can be pretty effective (especially on battlefield) Tech chasing is YOUR BEST FRIEND. get good at it. it makes the match up look really even. When fox is grounded on a platform. How you should respond is very dependent on his percentage.

20% - 40% - Uair. good foxes will usually CC the aerial. this will re-ground them. just repeat the process. if catching the Uair becomes too difficult. Nair or fair is ok just for the sake of building damage.

40% - 60% - Uair > Fair. You want him off of the stage early. Use needles to snipe fox as he tries to recover. You obviously don't want him to come back. eliminate his options quickly.

60+ - Fair through the platform. Simplicity is best because with fox, things can change for the worst in an instant. limit recovery options > edge guard.

Things not to do: A good fox will always be faster then Sheik. Do not challenge is speed. simply be prepared for. When fox is working the platforms. Bair is a great spacing tool. and will usually knock him right out of all his crap. even if they sheild it, do another one. as long as it's spaced.

Do not approach with short-hop Fair at low percentages. he will just CC > combo you. in fact, don't do alot of things at low percentages LOL. as dumb as that sounds, most sheik stuff gets CC'd. spaced bairs are ok if you really like your aerials. Grabs are incredible right now. if you land one Dthrow tech chase. if you are lucky enough to get a fox who tech-rolls near the ledge, tech chase Dsmash, and proceed to edge guard. Charged needles are essential for speeding up the early damage process.

* After Dthrow, sometimes i just stand there and charge needles. if they decide to getup attack, just shieldgrag. if they roll dodge behind you, you can actually stop charging and still have time to run backwards and grab. if they tech-roll forward, you can either throw the needles, or just keep charging til you fill up for later use. <3 Dthrow
----------------------------------

i'll cover FD and FoD later.. maybe <_<

teco - if you know where it is, put a link to conversations about match ups on the first page so that we don't have to keep re-visiting the same match ups. and we're going to **** at today's tournament :D
alotta stuff i knew, but its good to hear it over, and some stuff ive never tried too:)

good stuff

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Vanz - I keep a LOT of information on the first page.

Its not my fault no one wants to go to the first page and spend 10 seconds looking through all the information available.

But I'll put the stuff you posted on the first page too ;)

Also for advertisement....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216547

There are some vids of me from a smashfest I attended. It links to my Youtube account so if anyone is interested .... plz check it out ;)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Personally, I hate Sonic the Runaway Hedgehog.

Sonic runs away too much even by brawl standards.

Thankfully I play melee where I don't have to play run and shield with the penguin.

Top Bottom