• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

soap

Smash Hero
!! that was my avatar like two months ago!!

i approve
azula is my fav, her exit scene was beyond amazing

i havent watched any since the finale.

im gonna sit down and watch the entire series over in a few weeks at my friends place, its gonna be sweet.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
is mario vs. sheik even?
ive been playing my friend and he was playing sheik against my mario and i was winning games and like keeping up with him.

soap

Smash Hero
its not even, but mario has some decent tools i.e chaingrab/dthrow combos.

if sheik knows how to edgeguard/gimp the marios, u realize how lopsided it is

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
is mario vs. sheik even?
ive been playing my friend and he was playing sheik against my mario and i was winning games and like keeping up with him.
It's bad for Mario.

Really, really bad.

Ryan told me he thinks it's Mario's second hardest matchup.

All you have is CG, a decent edgeguard game with ledgedash --> F-smash, and after that you really work with nothing.

soap

Smash Hero
ive never been CGed directly into a kill by mario.

if they r smart they will chaingrab into fsmash then edgehog into more fsmashes

Celph

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot of trouble v Mario/Doc because I am too passive against them and don't edge guard properly.

But yeah it's pretty **** easy.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I have a lot of trouble v Mario/Doc because I am too passive against them and don't edge guard properly.

But yeah it's pretty **** easy.
You can't edgeguard them?

Just turn around wait for them to throw a pill/fireball (If they are far away) and then just bair the pill/fireball and Doc/Mario.

If they are close just go for fairs on the edge. Its very difficult to edgeguard them at low percents.

As long as you space well and don't get grabbed you should be fine in the match up.

General_Zod

Smash Apprentice
I was playing with a friend today (a good cf player) and I started doing shffl'd fairs into jabs very quickly while he was shielding. I broke his shield a couple of times. Is this some kind of pillar? shffl'd fairs into jabs? has anybody tried this before?.

Thanks in advance

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
No, I know CFalcon doesn't have the best shield options (Darkrain vs Cactura lolz), but um, the amount of repetitive hitsun over a period of time from that compared to like, Falco's or Peach's pillars are on different levels.

After you jab and have to jump + Fair again, you're somewhat giving CFalcon time to react. This is mostly due to the fact Sheik's short hop goes as high as it does, let alone the hitsun from a jab is lacking (to make it a "pillar"). It doesn't really matter how fast you do it, that's just how Sheiks SHFFLing game is.

Idk, I don't think this cf player is that great if he got his shield broken a couple of times by this lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Ok thanks, I had that doubt. It was friendlies though, nothing serious. But I thought with some kind of m2k- like reflexes it could be done.
I don't really think so.

Actually I think the peach "pillar" isn't really a "pillar" at all or if it is you have to super frame perfect.

Tbh I don't really think pillars exist in the game. Just really good shield pressure lol.

There really is no scenario where you have no options to avoid the shield pressure.

With the exception of multishining against a wall.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think there are pillars in the sense that Nair OoS and shield grabs can be defeated by repeated types of attacks on shields, but if you mean pillar as in completely inescapable pressure (no roll, wd, etc) then no, I very strongly doubt there is such a thing. And it's probably even less likely to be feasible.

Cia

das kwl
well.. Peach's Fair > Nair > Dsmash can't be escaped. i don't know why. and the Dsmash pierces sheild. oh and Nair > Nair > Nair > Nair works on light sheild. so it kind of is a pillar. :) but this isn't the peach boards. and i don't know anything else about peach :D

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea Nair -> dsmash or fair to dsmash blah blah does pierce shields as long as you don't angle your shield as Spam showed me.

Not sure about the lightshield I would just take your word for it Vanz ;).

Lightshields do take more shieldstun iirc so makes sense.. but can't you just shield DI away from it?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Dashing forward before you do the FC Nair is a very good defense against shield DI.

Fair --> D-smash, Nair --> D-smash, Fair --> Nair --> D-smash and so forth and so on are all very good variations of shield pressure because Peach's D-smash has anti-shield powers.

Also why aren't you on AIM?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Chained nairs as Peach still has five frames of non-shieldstun... the closest you can get to perfect pillaring is multishining as Fox, which leaves only one frame of non-shieldstun, so I don't think you could really do anything without getting hit out of it.

Cia

das kwl
Yea Nair -> dsmash or fair to dsmash blah blah does pierce shields as long as you don't angle your shield as Spam showed me.

Not sure about the lightshield I would just take your word for it Vanz ;).

Lightshields do take more shieldstun iirc so makes sense.. but can't you just shield DI away from it?
ooh, i forgot to mention that a wall is needed for this to work. like on corneria or stadium. and peach just move forward with the nairs. but if done correctly (and it isn't too hard when u get good with peach's Nairs) it'll eventually break your opponent's light shield)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Kirbykaze's posts are some of the most potent, logical, and literate posts on the boards. whatever u see is from the alcohol.
You sir, may just be my 13th best friend.

Which, sadly enough, speaks very low of my social life. That is in no way disrespect to you or anything; I'm quite sure you're a very charming person in real life, but if one of the people I feel closest to is a person who befriended me on Smashboards maybe less than a month ago and I've never met them in person, that can't say flattering things about my interaction with others in that strange real world that people keep telling me about.

But, still, I love you Vanz.

Actually I love everyone in the Higurashi crew. Especially whoever's Rika. Whoever's Rika wins.

edit:

elven I like pinecones.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
But Rena is amazing :(.

But I guess since Rika = Doyoung2win I can't argue lol.

Who would post only serious posts? I would like never be on the boards if thats the case lol

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik's priority in some of her aerials is really picky.

Like, it's massive priority and to make it trade is no big deal but to make it clean eat Firefoxes with something awkward like the back end of Bair or Nair (really, any part of Nair it's not got great priority aside from the massive speed) is actually somewhat lol.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
So I'm curious about the Sheik matchup vs. Jiggs. I know it's supposed to be favorable, but I've always had particular trouble with Jigglypuff regardless of my character choice. There's no discussion on Jiggs in the OP, nor in Brickman's matchups guide. I skimmed the thread (read: ctrl+F), and only found these posts with advice on Jiggs.

Camp Jiggs. That's how I win. It's a horrible, incredibly boring matchup. Get used to that and know it coming in.

Anyway, your No. 1 weapon is going to be needles. Spam them. Charge needles, if they get within your needle range or if it'll miss, just cancel and slap or bair. Spam bair and fair. Pressure the shield with well-spaced fairs into ftilts and jabs per usual. Ftilt after aerials; it ***** Jiggs at lowish percentages. Do not dash attack very often, you will get rested. Do not grab unless you are 100% sure it will hit, miss it and you are rested.

Play. Very. Safe. You have the advantage so abuse it. They have to come to you. Roll to get away from Jiggs' shield pressure but don't become predictable with it and try to keep it to a minimum, you'll get rested. Nair and fair out of shield if Jiggs doesn't space her aerial spam properly. If she gets too close space bairs to keep her away and keep on needling.

Crouch cancel downsmash if you're going to get hit with something and you know you can trade with your dsmash. Don't directly challenge a crouching Jiggs, just needle and short hop fair. You'll be short hopping and fairing and bairing all day when you're not on the platform, so you should not be standing still.

To edge guard Jiggs, don't bother to really challenge her. Just apply safe pressure and needle. Nair from the ledge if she's coming back and you're on the edge. She won't be living that long anyway. Play patient and safe; Jiggs needs you to get impatient and start running into her. Then you get *****. Just sit back and short hop spam fairs, bairs, and needles and it's hard to lose. Don't get gayed and you win.
jiggs

needles
camp bair
don't grab
avoid using moves she can crouch-rest or cc rest
This is all good, but I'm curious if P's post is a little dated or if the matchup is still the same. I'm sure the matchup is still gay, and best played defensively with needles and bairs, but is there anything new for either side that makes it easier/harder for Sheik? Thanks.

Top Bottom