• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah__Tourney of Fate 11 Canceled (check op for link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Ill bring Brawl and a Wii. Also Skyray and Geekhead are coming to this. :] Se ya in a few hours.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Yes, please if you can bring wii's and such please do. If we fill every TV I have a treat for those who bring stuff.

Also my assitants for this event are: Wangston, Rade, or Kenny if I am in game and you have a question or want to report your results please speak to one of them, unless they are in game to.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Tourney of Fate 7 Results

Melee Bracket

1: Perfect Chaos
2: __X__
3: DZLE
4: Minato
5: Final
5: Joke
7: Vazor
7: Lanky

Teams Bracket

1: Kenny+yaz
2: X+lada
3: Dryu+Stz
4: Waff+Rade
5: Lanky+spuds
5: PC+Minato
7: Swa+jesus
7: Final+Monkey

Solo's Bracket

1: Yaz
3: Kenny
4: Staz
5: Lada
5: Wangston
7: Dark Ryu
9: Rade
9: Waff
9: Hank
9: CorruptFate
13: Minato
13: DZLE
13: Vlad
13: Pwny
17: Swa
17: Brodie
17: Joke
17: Jesus
17: Flying J
17: Final
17: Spuds
17: Vazor

This was great, my little helpers did a great job running thing when I was helping shoppers or in a match. Things when very smothly now that we numbered each TV and had it each match gong to a numbered TV. We also got a lot of people to put down their e-mails so ill add those some time in the next few days.

Im very happy to say that everything went great, other then Rade leaving early to go play WoW, maybe next time we can fix that.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Ugh I did terrible.

Next tournament Im going to ask everybody to give me and advice after every round. Becuase its seems like I do really well the first match then after that I just to really bad. I need to figure out what Im doing that makes it so easy to catch on. Also I might ask some people in the top ten to do friendlies with me, a lot, so I can get better.

Also where the crap did Hank come from?! I though he was some random new dude and I sandbagged the first 10 seconds then got comboed from like 0 to 60. Crazy Peach Hank, great job.

wangston

Smash Lord
I'll play you in friendlies. Just go "wangston, play with me." There were so many setups there once we got past the first two rounds there were open tvs everywhere.

DZLE

Smash Master
Melee Bracket

1: Perfect Chaos
3: DZLE
4: Minato
5: Final
5: Joke
7: Vazor
Eat it Utah Melee Scene!
Haha Jk, was really surprised i did this well, and i think i might of had X a couple times if i didnt do some stupid stuff lol (even he said so.)
I just really want to thank my Melee Mentors Perfect Chaos and Minato, they have taught me literally everything I know. Not bad for only playing melee for about 2 tourneys, maybe a couple weeks in all.
I feel proud of myself, but I know I have a long long way to go, and thats why I will keep playing.

Also, today was a blast. Havent had this much fun smashing in a long long time, probably the most fun I have ever had smashing. It just keep getting better and better. This tournament was perfect, couldnt have been better. (well, we can always ask for bigger turnouts. especially for melee.)
To all of you who took last / got super owned, dont feel discouraged, please keep coming to these tourneys. Also play friendlies with everyone, for I personally gauruntee that you will get better every time you come.

And last but not least, Thanks to Minato, PC, and Vazor for coming to eat noodles with me :laugh: It was my first time I actually got to sit and talk with you guys. It was a lot of fun, and I am glad we had the opportunity to do so ^^ Melee is too good.

Good Job everyone, keep smashing, lets keep this scene rolling!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

This tourney had quite a lot of people.
I wished I did a little better in Singles, but that's how it always is for me at ToF.

Melee was awesome like always. I need to stay consistent in this game, though.
Some matches I did awesome, and some matches I get 0 to death on a stock.

Going to the noodle shop with DZLE, PC, and Vazor was fun. We need to hang out like that again sometime (no homo).

I swear DZLE, I'll overcome my bad matchups with Falco one day (along with Jiggs and Luigi).

And of course, I'll need to know who used who in this tourney.

RESULTS

1: Yaz (Meta Knight)
2: __X__ (Sonic)
3: Kenny (Snake)
4: Staz (Donkey Kong)
5: Lada (Rob and Falco)
5: Wangston (Falco)
7: Dark Ryu (Diddy and Game & Watch)
7: Lanky (Snake)

I saw a lot of the matches, but I don't know which characters were represented well enough to be in.

vazor

Smash Apprentice
Owned. At least almost all of my matches were taken to the third round.

Thanks for the help getting jump cancelling down, Lanky. You've gotten really good and melee will be the same for you I'm sure.

That was fun hanging out at the noodle place. It was nice to sit down and chat it up.

I think this tourney went really well. Don't change a thing. Except we should put melee up on the big screen next time. :laugh:

Oh and also no power outage.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think this was one of the best tourneys so far. There was a good turnout, it was really well organized and didn't take any longer than it had to to finish the bracket, and there were enough wiis to fill up every TV. :)

LOL @ the power outage. I was working DZLE and then ended up losing the match that we had to reset XD (Don't worry though, I got my revenge the next match ;))

Minato, Lada goes all ROB except for a little bit of falco. It's staz that plays a bunch of characters. He went DK Olimar and ROB on me.

And like DZLE said, don't get discouraged if you do poorly. The best way to get better is to come to these. Ask people to play friendlies, and if someone is better than you, ask them for advice on how to improve. If anyone wants, I can play you in friendlies and give you advice :D Just don't get discouraged and keep coming :)

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
This tourney I was not on my game :(
Oh well though, it was way fun! I liked seeing all the new faces and how smooth/quickly everything ran. Hopefully I can see the new faces again at other tourneys :) There was only one thing I would like and that would of been another melee TV for melee 1v1's. Since there was always a free brawl T.V. no one was playing at.

As for the melee tourney, I didn't even know there was one! :ohwell:

Oh and if anyone ever wants to play me in friendlies (Melee or Brawl) just ask!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
dRyu, if you stayed long enough, 4 TVs were dedicated to just Melee if I remember correctly.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
And their was only 8 people who entered melee, we had as many teams in one tourney as we did people for the melee. I tried to swap one friendly TV over for every two friendlies we had open, that the obvious brawl heavy turn out would still get to play and the melee tourney (that was much smaller and only would use two TV's at any one time) could still rap up. We ended up making three or four TV's melee TV's in the end, but the main reason why it took so long is because X was in the Brawl finallys (two sets best of 5, and it took 1h+ ) and at the same time melee was waiting for him so they could do a semi finallys match.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I guess I should of commented before, but I was so worn out. This tourney was great. The turnout was fantastic for us. If we can get this at every tourney, then maybe we can finally get a huge scene for this state.

I had fun playing with Spudz in teams. Even though we were up against two really good teams early on, I could tell we actually stood a chance. Our skills are improving!

Singles was great, both Melee and Brawl! Getting 7th in this big a turnout is a big thing for me, especially since the two who eliminated me didn't kick my a**, but instead was a great match-up. And then Melee was great. Maybe in a couple of tournies, I can be as good as you, DZLE.

Everything was set up well, it was fun, and even the power outage we had was funny (maybe for me, the outage stopped the **** I was getting from X in Melee, then I won a match when it turned on). So kudos to Fate and his helpers for making a d*** good tourney.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
ummmmm i got owned this tourney, i did terrible, my fox blows chunks, :(

on the other hand, me and X for best ganon in state

and staz and dryu owe me a dollar

Geekhead

Smash Apprentice
i sucked this one. the only rounds i won were with ganon. But i 2-stocked them both. I have no idea what possesed me to switch to ganon, but it was a good idea lol

EDIT: i need to ask something, how much does it cost at PnT to repair a game? my melee is dead.

DZLE

Smash Master
Maybe in a couple of tournies, I can be as good as you, DZLE.
A couple tourneys is all it has taken to get as good as I am, so I dont doubt you can!
Just keep practicing, and seriously learn to L-cancel perfectly with your character. Thats like all i practice when i play at home is in practice mode L-cancelling all of falco's moves...
A missed L-Cancel can cost or win you a stock (oh it happened too many times at this tourney. *cough Minato ****** me coughhh*) Ganon seems tricky to L-cancel and wavedash with, just practice. He is a freakin power house.

Oh, and even beating X in a match should be a huge accomplishment for you. He is too good.

wangston

Smash Lord
Onett 0-10-12* (neutral, counter pick, ban)

thats how the sbr voted it. Take it off our stage list. It's gayer than gay. Yes stage johns.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I really do think our stage list needs revision. There are stages we have that pretty much no one anywhere else allows. Things like mario circuit, onett, skyworld etc.

Panel room discussion?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Onett 0-10-12* (neutral, counter pick, ban)

thats how the sbr voted it. Take it off our stage list. It's gayer than gay. Yes stage johns.
Heh, PC got ***** on this by Staz's DK. He can vouch for it. But I agree. Stage blows.

I really do think our stage list needs revision. There are stages we have that pretty much no one anywhere else allows. Things like mario circuit, onett, skyworld etc.

Panel room discussion?
YES! For the love of everything sacred, do it!

harpuia190

Smash Ace

Panel room discussion?
agreed, panel atl east, i was actually thinking about this topic last tourney

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Umm... I can see where people are coming from banning Mario Circuit and Onett... but skyworld doesn't seem to fit any of the bannable offenses that MC or Onett does. No walk offs, no infinites against a wall. People just dont like it because they dont know how to work the stage. Breakable platforms are no walk offs.

I would say the breakable platforms are akin to the tilting of Lylat Cruise. But hmm... lylat seems to be a neutral doesnt it?

DZLE

Smash Master
Umm... I can see where people are coming from banning Mario Circuit and Onett... but skyworld doesn't seem to fit any of the bannable offenses that MC or Onett does. No walk offs, no infinites against a wall. People just dont like it because they dont know how to work the stage. Breakable platforms are no walk offs.

I would say the breakable platforms are akin to the tilting of Lylat Cruise. But hmm... lylat seems to be a neutral doesnt it?
people john way too much about lylat including myself.
Just learn to recover on that stage and its way normal.
Skyworld is different. People like olimar just bthrow and its 0% death. To me thats just ********.
Sure you can say "dont get grabbed" but you will get grabbed, and you will die.

Geekhead

Smash Apprentice
What part of the stage can he do that on? Ill pick him up if can insta kill people at 0%, with one move...
on the bottom right area of the course. if olly doesn't tech, then he will bounce off of the right most platform and get stage spiked. But notice how i said IF! and if they announce that they're going to sky world in a tourney, who would pick olly? BUT on the other side, kirby has an up throw suicide that works very well. I used it against waff and we went into sudden death. he beat me there, but I'm saying this course DEFINITELY singles out people that are great against others, so I don't think that is too neutral. But it happens at other stages. i mean look at Norfair!

man I'm like debating with myself here

EDIT: i asked a question put it got pushed out on the last page.

How much is it to repair games at the PnT? my melee died and i NEED it back!

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Few things I saw here:
1) DZLE said "People like olimar just bthrow and its 0% death." meaning that Olimar is the one doing the throw, so it has nothing to do with him teching.
2) Your right, this isn't a good Oilmar stage. And im all for taking out things that destroy tethers and limit the realistic use of chars. A counter Pick is just that, a counter pick its whole purpose is to give the person who chose it some sort of advantage. If we wanted to only play on neutral stages that everyone was for the most part neutral on we would have 5-7 stages to play on.
3) Im hoping that that kirby up throw suicide that went to sudden death did not happen in a tourny...You should never go to Sudden death in a tourny unless you are both on the same stock and same %.

Also that B throw thing I said was a joke, that will not kill you at 0% for every char. except 1 maybe 2, as long as you can tech.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
If you break a side platform (therefore having no ledge) characters like Olimar, ZSS or any tether recoveries cannot recover so one throw off the stage will gimp them instantly. Also some characters like Ike destroy the platforms by recovering. And it doesnt seem fair that one missed tech at 50% leads to a stage spike and death for most of the cast... (meaning not Rob, Pit or Jiggles)

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
There are other stages like frigate that don't have a ledge either. I'm changing my position. I don't think it should be banned because everything gay that can happen on that stage can be avoided if the player can react fast enough to tech or whatever.

wangston

Smash Lord
What part of the stage can he do that on? Ill pick him up if can insta kill people at 0%, with one move...
G&W can dthrow any tether recoverer through the clouds and they die at 0%. It works on oli i'm not sure about zzs or ivy. I really don't think sky world should be out, learn to tech and you will be fine.

Here is some info for the stages. This is how the sbr voted on the stages that are up to the TO to include or ban. The first vote is neutral, second cp, third banned.
Green Greens 0-10-11*Due to the small ceiling and close blast zones on the edges combined with the bombs and blocks falling on either side, this was placed in both counterpick and banned.

Mario Circuit: 0-14-11* The small stages and walk-off edges made this a tough call, placing it on both the counterpick and banned lists.

Onett 0-10-12* The large amount of walls and consistent hazards placed this in the counterpick list, and the walk-off edges facing a wall meant edge camping would be a serious threat to many members in the SBR, which placed it in the banned list.

Port Town Aero Dive 0-13-15* This stage doesn't have ledges for many sections, so was automatically out of the running for being a starter. The cars, while avoidable, are incredibly strong and this ended up in both the counterpick and banned category.

Skyworld 0-12-8* The ability to spike people from the stage through the clouds made this an instant ban for many in the SBR, but after closer looks we found that it is possible to destroy the top plats for saftey and the ability to tech, DI strongly, or fight elsewhere led this to being a viable counterpick as well.
I think that Onett, Green Grenn, and Port Town Aero Dive should all be banned for sure no questions ask GTFO. Mario Circuit is indeed a gay stage and after seeing Dai-A abuse the walk off I lean towards ban. After being taken to sky world 1000 times by waff in singles and waff + rade in doubles it's a legit stage learn to DI into the stage and tech it.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

Hmm, I guess that's me.

Well, we can just do what most of us do. Make that stage your ban for the set until you learn how to play on it.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
i only go there because waff goes there :D i just play everyone so it doesnt affect me as bad as others :D

WAFF JOHNS

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
I think that Onett, Green Grenn, and Port Town Aero Dive should all be banned for sure no questions ask GTFO. Mario Circuit is indeed a gay stage and after seeing Dai-A abuse the walk off I lean towards ban. After being taken to sky world 1000 times by waff in singles and waff + rade in doubles it's a legit stage learn to DI into the stage and tech it.
Well Port town Aero Drive is banned currently at our tournies (at least I believe so, as I've been chastised for trying to counterpick it). Yes, it is true the cars kill at a very low percent, however if people are going to john about it, then i'd say it should fit in with the johns about teching. If you can tech, things aren't a problem. If you can avoid the cars on Port Town, it shouldn't be a problem either. All you need to do is anticipate either of them.

Both take practice(teching and learning to dodge cars), and so far, Skyworld has (generally) been accepted as a genuine counterpick. Compared to walk off ledges, and locking walls, these cars seem perfectly acceptable for a counterpick stage.

Speaking of which, I for one would greatly love to go over the stages and reevaluate them.

Edit: RADE JOHNS :)
We havn't gone to sky world recently have we? Hmm...

DZLE

Smash Master
Lol I always make skyworld my ban anyway. take me anywhere else im fine with it. so i dont really care.

and yeah, mario circuit is GAY. and all the other ones wangston said.

Uhh, @ Geek, if you initiate a suicide in a tourney and your both on last stock, the sudden death is to be negated, and the one who initiated the suicide wins the match. So if you suicided him, then he beat you in the sudden death, it should have been you that won the match not him.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
So if you suicided him, then he beat you in the sudden death, it should have been you that won the match not him.
Hehe, whoops on our part then :)

But then again the entire suicide thing isn't very clear. There's more ways to suicide than with Bowers' claw thingy, but no other ones are addressed in the tourney rules. (As far as I am aware, it doesn't even mention Gannon's grab. Don't hold this last part to me, ima go check it in a sec.)

That may need to get updated for clarification.

Yup, exact quote from FTS's rules/guidelines post.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
Nowhere does it mention D3, kirby, gannon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom