• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Yeah I met the doctor, and that evil white b**** told me to buy a new pair of shoes. Like THAT will fix anything! That beezie needs to go back to college.
Old shoes can actually damage you quite a bit, though I know how annoying buying new shoes is like :(

If you run regularly you may need to buy new shoes often :(

Actually, she gave you accurate advice. I'm a pre-med student and have a history of foot/leg problems which I share with my mom and that is what I was going to tell you. Make sure your shoes have arch support and fit you properly. I used to have pain in my feet all the time, but I did that and it's gone now (and I'm missing bone in my feet...).
Premed? HIGH FIVE!

I also have weird knee/ankle issues.

My left knee gets real sore if I crouch for more than 20 seconds in a row.

Ive destroyed my ankle like 3 times so Its now quite prone to injury.
Ahh I have a similar problem. Invest in braces! They help mme whenever I run. :p

Healer

Smash Apprentice
Hey I need some major motivation help, I used to exercise 5 times a week with lots of motivation. I love exercising but I feel so lethargic and find it difficult to restart my routine after my surgery. Can some one help?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Premed? HIGH FIVE!
Premed and biomedical engineering.

@Healer: Make sure it's safe for you to work out first. You need to wait for your body to heal after a surgery. As for motivation, find a work out buddy or try to reward yourself everytime after you work out. I always eat steak after I workout. I like steak. A lot.

Edit: Through my laziness/the cafteteria has really bad food induced anorexia I lost ten pounds in 2 weeks. Not good. At least my muscles are intact somehow. I still work out though.

GOD!

Smash Ace
I got in a bike accident and banged up my knee pretty bad about a month ago.

I can do everything with it except kneel down on and put weight on it. On the positive side, I can now tell when its about to rain from the pain in my knee!

Healer: once I really didn't feel like working out, and I realized it was my diet. I was eating junk food a lot and it made me feel weird and spaced out, and I never wanted to work out. Maybe that's it?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Hey I need some major motivation help, I used to exercise 5 times a week with lots of motivation. I love exercising but I feel so lethargic and find it difficult to restart my routine after my surgery. Can some one help?
What was your routine like before? If you feel lethargic, it could be a motivation issue. But then again, maybe you feel fatigued because you aren't as strong as you used to be...? Try just biting the bullet and start again, but at a lower intensity. Try spicing up your routine a little, too (ex: if you were big into running, try swimming instead). It'll be a lot easier on your body, and it'll remind you why you loved to work out so much before your surgery :)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Once you're cleared to start by a medical professional, I'd find a buddy. A real life person yelling at you is a lot more compelling than anything else really. That's why people love paying for physical trainers to yell at them.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Not to be a pessimist but literally every one of my friends that I've gotten into the gym has dropped out on me. Even with me yelling at them :(

Healer

Smash Apprentice
No I'm way past recovery and I'm clear for exercise. I just wish I could be motivated and motivational ideas?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
aww yeah let's do this!!!!!!

here's my progress so far:

1. February 2009
5'11'' 220 pounds
Bench: 45x5
Squat: BWx5
Deadlift: lol
Press: lol

2. September 2009
5'11'' 200 pounds
Bench: 170x5
Squat: 185x5
Deadlift: 225x5
Press: 115x5

3. November 2009
5'11'' 195 pounds (shaved off 5 lbs of hair lolol)
Lifts: ???

OK so I have been kinda slacking with my lifting lately. I've only been able to pop in the gym here and there to do maintenance stuff but I want to get back into lifting for realz. I also want to lose a lot of the bodyfat I still have (even tho I lost a lot in the last 9 months). SO here are my goals:

By January 16 (So I can be ripped for Pound4 lolol) I pledge to meet the following goals:

- Weight goal: I want to be 180 lbs by January 16. That's 15 pounds in 7 weeks, or about 2 pounds per week, which I should be able to do with a healthy diet and good exercise.

- Lifting goal (aka the "dont be anorexic to hit the weight goal" clause): I want to hit the following lifts by January 16:
Bench: 190x5
Squat: 225x5
Deadlift: 275x5
Press: 135x5

Punishment/Motivation:
If I fail to meet these goals, I vow to suffer the following punishments:
- For every X pounds I am above 180 by January 16, I will sign up on okcupid/eharmony/whatever, make a profile with a bunch of revealing pictures, and go out with the first X people who contact me, no matter what, and post the results here.
- If I fail any goal, weight and/or any of the lift goals, I will buy the next 3 people who post a reasonable goal a full year of platinum membership.

ok now your turn!!!

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman

I'm here for the smashboards badge!

No, but I do want to join this.
Recently I've been putting on unhealthy weight, and have absolutely no stamina left in me these days.

Goals:I would like to lose the unhealthy weight I have put on, and in addition, be able to complete a mile jog without dying during the first few minutes.

Target time is 15 minutes to start, but would like to progress down to something that is a little more impressive.

Process:I want to start out by continuing my nightly walks[roughly 30 minutes] but progress that to nightly jogs by increasing the jog to walk ratio reasonably. I'd also like to see 100 situps a day for starting, until i further educate myself on reasonable excercising.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Double post cuz people need to make goals! Come on I figured smashers would be more determined than this! You don't need to post ridiculous punishments like me, but I was hoping that putting my dignity and $36 on the line would at least inspire a few others to post by now...

I can't make it into the gym until tomorrow, but in the meantime I've made a few changes to my diet. I've already cut all soda out of my diet cold turkey, and the only empty liquid calories I allow myself is this Green Tea stuff. It still has a bunch of sugar in it though, so I'm gonna limit myself to 0-1 per day (down from like 3-4 pepsi per day) until I get used to drinking less... work sucks without caffeine :( but from that point on it'll be all water and milk for me!

How's the running coming, Ryan?

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I'll join this.

I've been working out with 18spikes a lot. I'm quite the opposite though. I weight 157 lbs and have been gaining muscle, but I need to get bigger, but not in fat, obviously muscle.

Goals : Reach 180 lbs by May 1 2010.
Bench Press Max - 180 lbs
Bench Press for 8-10 Reps 145lbs

Process : I'm aiming to get that size by the end of spring semester. I'll continue to work out M/W/F. Eat a healthy amount of protein, and carbs, but not just stuff myself with poor food.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Hey. So while I was at ****'s Sporting Goods, I bought myself 5lb weights that strap around your ankles. I love those babies. I strap 'em around my arms when I do bycicle crunches, or if I want to go hardcore, keep them on my ankles while holding a 10lb dumbell behind my head. Good stuff, I'd recommend.

By the way, do punching bags come at a higher weight than 100lbs? That was all they had. I'm looking for something about... 150lbs to replicate the weight of a body that I can toss around. Suggestions?

EDIT: Apparantly the name of the store was censored. O_o

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yea cuz it's an alternate word for *****...

My first goal is to get to 185 pounds. Just 15 more pounds.

My second goal is to get well developed arms and a six pack. Don't really care about functionality, just looks lol...

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
thesage, it's a bad idea to work out only certain parts of your body. An unbalanced body can make you more susceptible to injury (and girls will make fun of your toothpick legs :chuckle:). Gotta work out your whole body! No johns :snake:

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I'll join this.

I've been working out with 18spikes a lot. I'm quite the opposite though. I weight 157 lbs and have been gaining muscle, but I need to get bigger, but not in fat, obviously muscle.

Goals : Reach 180 lbs by May 1 2010.
Bench Press Max - 180 lbs
Bench Press for 8-10 Reps 145lbs

Process : I'm aiming to get that size by the end of spring semester. I'll continue to work out M/W/F. Eat a healthy amount of protein, and carbs, but not just stuff myself with poor food.
Hello!

Unless you are still growing(in which you'd get heavier at a much faster rate) you can only gain 5-10 pounds per yyear in muscle. So, expect to only be at 167 tops if you worked out correctly. By the way, how tall are you?

Best of luck to you though! You can do it. Tell me if you need any tailored workouts or whatever.

Hey. So while I was at ****'s Sporting Goods, I bought myself 5lb weights that strap around your ankles. I love those babies. I strap 'em around my arms when I do bycicle crunches, or if I want to go hardcore, keep them on my ankles while holding a 10lb dumbell behind my head. Good stuff, I'd recommend.

By the way, do punching bags come at a higher weight than 100lbs? That was all they had. I'm looking for something about... 150lbs to replicate the weight of a body that I can toss around. Suggestions?

EDIT: Apparantly the name of the store was censored. O_o
I believe so. Sandbag?

I always used a water punching bag from Singapore. Lol.

Yea cuz it's an alternate word for *****...

My first goal is to get to 185 pounds. Just 15 more pounds.

My second goal is to get well developed arms and a six pack. Don't really care about functionality, just looks lol...
Though looks are a lovely perk from working out... I SUGGEST YOU GET IT FOR FUNCTIONALITY. XD

When you are done working out you are going to have to maintain the intensity or you'll start loosing it again! :)

thesage, it's a bad idea to work out only certain parts of your body. An unbalanced body can make you more susceptible to injury (and girls will make fun of your toothpick legs :chuckle:). Gotta work out your whole body! No johns :snake:
QFT

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I need to think of some goalsss...
-ponders-
Well...maybe to eat a teeny bit healthier (nothing too much though. sometimes changing your diet drastically and quickly can be bad for you)
And losing 10 pounds wouldnt be too bad.
...AND UPPER BODY STRENGTH >__> I needs.
Doing all this so i can take martial arts
And for cosplaying haha (I have to look my best!)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
i think i wanna sign up, build me some muscle =].
i dont know where to start tho.....
help?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Lokii and toondiddy, it's good to see the interest, but you gotta turn that motivation into a real goal! What is your weight, age, and height? Do you have access to any kind of gym/weight equipment? Do you have any prior experience in exercise or weight training? These can change what kind of program you want to make for yourself. In general, if you want to gain weight you want to lift heavy and eat a lot. If you want to lose weight, you want to watch the diet and do more cardio, but also do moderate lifting so you don't look like a flaccid husk of bruised skin once the fat is gone.

Unless you are still growing(in which you'd get heavier at a much faster rate) you can only gain 5-10 pounds per yyear in muscle. So, expect to only be at 167 tops if you worked out correctly. By the way, how tall are you?
This is technically true but as long as he is lifting and not eating total junk, weight gain will still indicate muscle gain. It's REALLY hard to gain any significant amount of muscle mass without gaining any body fat. You bulk first, cut later. So a few pounds of bodyfat wont be a huge deal -- especially for this guy; I work out with lonejedi and he has a lot of filling out to do. He knows I mean no offense with this :)

As for my progress, I finally got into the gym and weighed in at 194.8. Then I got a body fitness exam at my school's fitness center, and according to their scales I have 20.4% bodyfat D: that's a lot higher than I expected, but it's good news because 180 lbs is only about 14% bodyfat, which is at the heavy end of the average range. I got dis!!!

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
You're very young, so I really do not feel comfortable recommending any kind of specific program to you. Are there any sports or athletic programs at school you're interested in? You will probably have a lot more fun and get exercises that are much better tailored for someone your age. Or, if your school offers Weight Training as a course, you should try taking that. My high school offered a gym course split between Flag Football, Floor Hockey, and Weight Training, and I completely blew off the weight training section. I just sat in the leg press talking to friends and filled out BS numbers on the charts. I REALLY regret not taking it seriously, looking back it would have served as a really good introduction to weight lifting.

Falcade

Smash Cadet
I started doing that single push up as told after reading the THREE STEPS, and my dad is like "Tyler, what the f*ck are you doing?"

I've recently begun a new workout routine, and now that my dad has left to work for 3 weeks I'll have plenty of alone time at home to work out more. I love working out my abdominal section to be honest.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I'll join but I'm already in shape (not ripped yet D: ).

That push-up was not worth the time though so I did 20.

My stats:

17 years old
120lbs
5'7"

I've run Cross Country for 5 years now, for the past 3.5 I've run anywhere from 5-12 miles a day 6 days a week. I've cut back on running so much this year so that I could work with weights to actually build muscle instead of having just super lean muscle.

However my main problem is the fact that I weigh next to nothing... So I have to do the opposite of everyone while still staying fit. But My body is so accustomed to good 'running' food that I can't stand to anything to unhealthy. So how do I gain weight while staying fit?

Btw, I'm a guy.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It's finals week.

I haven't done anything for the past two weeks.

D:

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
However my main problem is the fact that I weigh next to nothing... So I have to do the opposite of everyone while still staying fit. But My body is so accustomed to good 'running' food that I can't stand to anything to unhealthy. So how do I gain weight while staying fit?

Btw, I'm a guy.
You want to eat a lot of dense stuff, and eat it a lot. You want to create some kind of meal out of the following: oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate/vitamin D milk, protein powder. I used to drink chocolate milk+protein powder after workouts. I've also seen some pretty cool recipes for protein powder peanut butter bars, I forgot where though. The holy grail is if you can put all 4 of those ingredients into a blender and just eat whatever comes out, ex:

2 cups full fat milk
1 package Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast
2 scoops protein
2 Tbs. Natural Peanut Butter
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 Cup chopped oats
BLEND

If you ate/drank/consumed one of those after every workout you should see some weight come on. And make sure you lift heavy! :)

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I'm lifting heavy but I need to get some more protein and food in. My parents get foodstamps every month so there's like 10 days at the end of each month where we're just eating Top Ramen and all that unhealthy stuff. I have like frozen chicken breasts, some peanut butter, tuna, and that good stuff but I need to find more time in the morning to get all my food ready for school.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
You want to eat a lot of dense stuff, and eat it a lot. You want to create some kind of meal out of the following: oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate/vitamin D milk, protein powder. I used to drink chocolate milk+protein powder after workouts. I've also seen some pretty cool recipes for protein powder peanut butter bars, I forgot where though. The holy grail is if you can put all 4 of those ingredients into a blender and just eat whatever comes out, ex:

2 cups full fat milk
1 package Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast
2 scoops protein
2 Tbs. Natural Peanut Butter
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 Cup chopped oats
BLEND

If you ate/drank/consumed one of those after every workout you should see some weight come on. And make sure you lift heavy! :)
That'd probably work lol. But why the oil?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I would like to join TigerWoods. :)

I'm 19 yrs old
102 lbs
5 feet 2 inches (5' 2")

...and I'm female.

I'm not chubby or anything but I'd love some stronger arms.

I've thought of taking up Tennis, is that a good idea? I used to do Track, Swimming and Volleyball.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I started doing that single push up as told after reading the THREE STEPS, and my dad is like "Tyler, what the f*ck are you doing?"

I've recently begun a new workout routine, and now that my dad has left to work for 3 weeks I'll have plenty of alone time at home to work out more. I love working out my abdominal section to be honest.
Were you doing the pushup wrong? xD That's ok. We'll get there :).

Care to share the routine? Oh and make sure you work out the parts you -hate- to work out too... since those are the parts you are probably lacking :)

Lol, I'll join but I'm already in shape (not ripped yet D: ).

That push-up was not worth the time though so I did 20.

My stats:

17 years old
120lbs
5'7"

I've run Cross Country for 5 years now, for the past 3.5 I've run anywhere from 5-12 miles a day 6 days a week. I've cut back on running so much this year so that I could work with weights to actually build muscle instead of having just super lean muscle.

Btw, I'm a guy.
Good you did 20. :)

There are a few explanations to why you may be so skinny. Some people are just plain... skinny(like the few that are heavy no matter what). You may also be burning a lot of fat while running for such long distances. Anyway, I suggest hitting the weights more and eating a lot of food if you are going to run for a while.

If Michael Phelps didn't eat much, he would be a skeleton. But he eats a lot... and he is like... a merman.

It's finals week.

I haven't done anything for the past two weeks.

D:
Pfft. You know it actual helps you focus if you take a ten minute jog :mad:.

I'm lifting heavy but I need to get some more protein and food in. My parents get foodstamps every month so there's like 10 days at the end of each month where we're just eating Top Ramen and all that unhealthy stuff. I have like frozen chicken breasts, some peanut butter, tuna, and that good stuff but I need to find more time in the morning to get all my food ready for school.
If you get stuck, remember don't underestimate the power of the peanut-butter jelly sandwich! High in protein, carbs, and some vitamins(if you got a nice jelly).

I would like to join TigerWoods. :)

I'm 19 yrs old
102 lbs
5 feet 2 inches (5' 2")

...and I'm female.

I'm not chubby or anything but I'd love some stronger arms.

I've thought of taking up Tennis, is that a good idea? I used to do Track, Swimming and Volleyball.

Hello and welcome Yink! I consulted my sister for you(she trains women).

First, unlike the other guys in this thread, you have the liberty of being able to run for 30 minutes a day. Guys who are trying to bulk up... don't run that long unless you are a long distance runner with sufficient food intake...
or you will burn off your muscle :chuckle:.

Second, maybe you already knew, but weight training for women is extremely beneficial. Now I'm pretty sure you don't want to look like a body builder, so keep your weight training exercises from 4-5 sets with about 8 reps. I promise you even with intense weight exercises, as long as there are a low number of sets, you wont look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. I suggest you find a gym buddy to spot you when you train... since the amount you can lift really depends on you.

Third, the ab workout in this thread is capable of being done by -all- people, so it applies to you if you want toned abs.

Happy Exercising! Ask if you need more specifics.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Well, I'd like to join.

14, yeah I'm young.
116 Pounds
5'8 1/2''

I've been in soccer for 6 years, and Marching band for 1 of 'em. I am in physically good running shape, though I am weak. Like, I dunno 40 pushups is an major workout. As in if I finish all of them. I am a couple pounds under weight. So is a lot of my friends. (6' 120 pounds). My goal is to be able to do at least 50 pushups no sweat.

I eat a lot of food. My lunch is two meat sandwiches, potato chips, water, apple, orange/grapes, random 3 pieces of candy that I find around, and peanuts or something.

Btw I am a guy and decided to do 20 pushups.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Well, I'd like to join.

14, yeah I'm young.
116 Pounds
5'8 1/2''

I've been in soccer for 6 years, and Marching band for 1 of 'em. I am in physically good running shape, though I am weak. Like, I dunno 40 pushups is an major workout. As in if I finish all of them. I am a couple pounds under weight. So is a lot of my friends. (6' 120 pounds). My goal is to be able to do at least 50 pushups no sweat.

I eat a lot of food. My lunch is two meat sandwiches, potato chips, water, apple, orange/grapes, random 3 pieces of candy that I find around, and peanuts or something.

Btw I am a guy and decided to do 20 pushups.
Heya! Good to start young. As you get older, we'll work out more intense exercises for you.

Anyway... I suggest following this site: http://hundredpushups.com/

For your pushup needs :)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
So yeah, little update thing I guess since I haven't really posted in here in a while -- basically I've been taking my workouts more casually since my senior project started up, and also I've been having to worry about a heart problem or something that's wrong with me. It might be my heart, but am not sure.

Basically I've been getting dizzy spells that have side effects that also keep me from working out and everything. I try not to do anything and just lay down or sit around once they happen so it's been holding me back a bit too -- hopefully it gets all straightened out soon since I'm going to an actual good doctor soon.

Also I'm eating healthily now. I'm trying to resist urges to eat though.. 'cause a lot of times I'll find myself eating more than my body needs =/ I'll have to find something more productive to do soon so I can get rid of these urges..

and I didn't get my update in though.. I'm noticing a lot of differences since I've been doing this. If I flex now you can actually feel muscle somewhere just besides my legs... and quite a bit of muscle too. Maybe not a lot, but it was way better than before I started this, so just need to keep making that progress.

I somehow lost 7 pounds (of body fat I assume) over two weeks .. not sure how that's happened, but hopefully my urges to eat don't bring it back up...

Top Bottom