• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Continuing on my message about messed up textures, when using BrawlBox v0.62b, you need to save your texture parts as TarGA (.tga) images when replacing them. Replacing a texture that's in PNG format apparently makes the texture part get messed up in game.

The next BrawlBox update should consider fixing this up.
If you replace/encode an image and it looks fine in the preview afterward, then it doesn't have anything to do with the format(s). Images are formatted in such a way that, if things get messed up in the data you'll know before using it in the game.

Sometimes textures can get messed up for other reasons. I just replaced a few textures with RGB565 format from png files with no problem. If you can duplicate the problem consistently, then send me a file or two.

some parts just can't be transparent

and this place isn't really where to be asking texture hacking questions, just things particular to this program

about mario's cap, perhaps that and his hair could have their model swapped , so that one gets loaded by default while the other only does when taunting. but I got errors when I tried to load in the other models...

"index was outside the bounds of the array"
When you start messing with the model format, there's a chance that it can't be loaded anymore.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm going to post this here in the hopes that someone with knowledge can help me.

I have a question about stage backgrounds/animations. I have imported the asteroid background from the first section of Lylat Cruise into FD for a hack I've been working on. The problem is... when the asteroid field reaches the end of its 1800-frame animation, it just stops. It doesn't loop at all. I understand that:

A ) FD has a stage frame count of 9600 (I think; it's something ridiculous)
B ) Lylat Cruise is supposed to cycle between three backgrounds

If anyone knows how to force the background to loop, that'd be great.
Hey, did anyone read this? Just wondering.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
alright, so ive erased the areas that i would like to be transparent, but in the game they end up simply being pitch black.. =/

what might i be doing incorrectly?
Magenta is Brawl's transparency color, I don't know the exact values off the top of my head, but Magenta should make them transparent at the least

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you replace/encode an image and it looks fine in the preview afterward, then it doesn't have anything to do with the format(s). Images are formatted in such a way that, if things get messed up in the data you'll know before using it in the game.

Sometimes textures can get messed up for other reasons. I just replaced a few textures with RGB565 format from png files with no problem. If you can duplicate the problem consistently, then send me a file or two.
I did test out two new textures today, and was using v0.62b when replacing texture parts.

They were a Link and Toon Link texture, and I had their body texture parts saved as PNG images. I modified the parts and placed them back into their PAC files, but when I tested the textures out, the texture appearances looked all messed up, even though they looked okay in BrawlBox.

I later converted the PNG images into TarGA images, and then placed the TarGA images into the PAC files. The texture parts no longer looked messed up in the end.

Sorry that I have no images of this, but this problem never happened in BrawlBox v0.61.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
jack, its probably got something to do with the miscdata20 file, that seems to control a lot of stuff in regards to events within a stage...unfortunately, we dont really know much about it

also, kryal, i have a sneaking suspicion that your program bugs up in regards to scaling bones - specifically, scaling up. i received a stage file with several bones scaled (at .5, .6, or .7 on the y-axis), with the intent that i edit the collision data to match. along the way, i noticed that it would be prohibitively difficult to work with different bones being scaled at different values, so i reverted all that had been changed to .6 on the y-axis, using the file i had been provided. i then proceeded to change the collision data to match, played the file in-game, and only the bone that had been at .5 was scaled incorrectly (and the mistake is clearly visible). i rechecked my numbers, finding no errors. Then i had the bright idea to check the model in your program, as well as the collision data in brawlwall. They matched up to each other, as well as my own calculations. I then checked the model previewer in brawlbox against a snapshot of the stage taken by one of my testers. Lo and behold, the previewed model matched up to the collision data, but not the model, in-game. once again, there was a clearly visible difference. I had no problems with any of the other bones i altered, and the one i had trouble with was the only one which was scaled down, saved, and scaled back up again. i can only assume that this is a minor but substantial glitch. if you need more to go on than my word, i can provide you with both picture proof and the file in question.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Magenta is Brawl's transparency color, I don't know the exact values off the top of my head, but Magenta should make them transparent at the least
Magenta is NOT a transparent color. CUPASH used magenta when encoding textures and converted them to transparent along the way. Transparency is controlled both by the texture AND model materials. If the model material is not supposed to have transparency, then it will be solid. There's no way to change it at this time.

jack, its probably got something to do with the miscdata20 file, that seems to control a lot of stuff in regards to events within a stage...unfortunately, we dont really know much about it

also, kryal, i have a sneaking suspicion that your program bugs up in regards to scaling bones - specifically, scaling up. i received a stage file with several bones scaled (at .5, .6, or .7 on the y-axis), with the intent that i edit the collision data to match. along the way, i noticed that it would be prohibitively difficult to work with different bones being scaled at different values, so i reverted all that had been changed to .6 on the y-axis, using the file i had been provided. i then proceeded to change the collision data to match, played the file in-game, and only the bone that had been at .5 was scaled incorrectly (and the mistake is clearly visible). i rechecked my numbers, finding no errors. Then i had the bright idea to check the model in your program, as well as the collision data in brawlwall. They matched up to each other, as well as my own calculations. I then checked the model previewer in brawlbox against a snapshot of the stage taken by one of my testers. Lo and behold, the previewed model matched up to the collision data, but not the model, in-game. once again, there was a clearly visible difference. I had no problems with any of the other bones i altered, and the one i had trouble with was the only one which was scaled down, saved, and scaled back up again. i can only assume that this is a minor but substantial glitch. if you need more to go on than my word, i can provide you with both picture proof and the file in question.
I strongly advise against changing bones, and would recommend animations instead. And yes, I will need a file to look at.

I'm going to post this here in the hopes that someone with knowledge can help me.

I have a question about stage backgrounds/animations. I have imported the asteroid background from the first section of Lylat Cruise into FD for a hack I've been working on. The problem is... when the asteroid field reaches the end of its 1800-frame animation, it just stops. It doesn't loop at all. I understand that:

A ) FD has a stage frame count of 9600 (I think; it's something ridiculous)
B ) Lylat Cruise is supposed to cycle between three backgrounds

If anyone knows how to force the background to loop, that'd be great.
Haven't encountered this yet. I know interpolation isn't working properly, but the animation still should loop. Send a file if you can.

Kryal

Smash Ace
UPDATE

For those of you who have problems with corrupted images (in-game, not in previewer), I've found a solution. Apparently, there was a texture name attached to some material entries that was overlooked. I believe this is used to 'decal' some textures on top of others when generating a material.

To find out if a particular model is affected, all you have to do is look under the 'Textures2' node. If there are texture references listed, then there's a good chance it will screw up. HOWEVER! This does not happen all the time, for instance: if a model is the only file in a bres node, or if the bres file size does not change.

The problem has been fixed, and post-processing now re-links the texture name. Here is a screen of the entry:

A special thanks to everyone who submitted files for this issue!

On a side note, the collision encoder is complete and the box selector is coming along well (hooray trig!). I've also found a solution to some of the rendering problems concerning flicker (silly fix really). I hope to have a release this weekend.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
UPDATE

For those of you who have problems with corrupted images (in-game, not in previewer), I've found a solution. Apparently, there was a texture name attached to some material entries that was overlooked. I believe this is used to 'decal' some textures on top of others when generating a material.

To find out if a particular model is affected, all you have to do is look under the 'Textures2' node. If there are texture references listed, then there's a good chance it will screw up. HOWEVER! This does not happen all the time, for instance: if a model is the only file in a bres node, or if the bres file size does not change.

The problem has been fixed, and post-processing now re-links the texture name. Here is a screen of the entry:

A special thanks to everyone who submitted files for this issue!
You fixed it? Great! Thanks a lot!

Kryal

Smash Ace
Just a note: please use the issue tracker at the google code site for submitting issues, particularly for corrupted files. This will help tremendously because it allows us to attach resource files to open issues without the need to use file sharing sites. It also allows us to keep track of current issues and prevents duplicate reports.

Most bug resolutions are solved by submitting broken files for analysis, so contribute! Here's the link:
http://code.google.com/p/brawltools/issues/list

Dantarion

Smash Champion
It should be easier to match up things to models.
Kryal, can you add support for showing multiple models at once? I.e. I want to adjust stageposition while looking at the stage models.

*For spawn points and such*

Check out BrawlWall to see what I mean.

cdrom1019

Smash Rookie
Hate to keep bugging yall...but I really need some clarification on my issue. Where can I find this RWSD file? is it within a .brsar file or in the ISO itself. I put the .brsar file from my iso of NSMBW in brawl box and I see no RWSD file. Please help? or will I just have to wait for full .brsar support? because full brsar would be an extremely useful feature of this program.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Alright a Collision editor! (sorry Dant) Will it use draging, or X/Y manual input? id like it to be like Pivot, just drag the line and its there.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, can you add support for showing multiple models at once? I.e. I want to adjust stageposition while looking at the stage models.

Yes, that's what the collision editor uses.

Hate to keep bugging yall...but I really need some clarification on my issue. Where can I find this RWSD file? is it within a .brsar file or in the ISO itself. I put the .brsar file from my iso of NSMBW in brawl box and I see no RWSD file. Please help? or will I just have to wait for full .brsar support? because full brsar would be an extremely useful feature of this program.
Open up the brsar file, select top node. You'll see a list of files on the right. RWSD files contain the sounds.

cdrom1019

Smash Rookie
Open up the brsar file, select top node. You'll see a list of files on the right. RWSD files contain the sounds.
ok...i did that....there's only 1 RWSD file and it only contains the 5 files that ripping_mama or brsar_unpack already gave me.

There's a multitude of RSEQ and RBNK files. Could they be somewhere in there? I tried opening a few of those in brawl box and their all empty.

on a side note....an example of what I got from the RWSD is a file called SE_VOC_YS_EAT. it's raw and 0 bytes.....and i gotve an error trying to extract it. i have the banks with the voices I need. for example...one of them is BANK_SE_VOC_MORTON....I wonder if I can do anything with that....any ideas?

at this point...I think i should probably just wait until the program has full .brsar support....any idea when that might be?

Kryal

Smash Ace
ok...i did that....there's only 1 RWSD file and it only contains the 5 files that ripping_mama or brsar_unpack already gave me.

There's a multitude of RSEQ and RBNK files. Could they be somewhere in there? I tried opening a few of those in brawl box and their all empty.

on a side note....an example of what I got from the RWSD is a file called SE_VOC_YS_EAT. it's raw and 0 bytes.....and i gotve an error trying to extract it. i have the banks with the voices I need. for example...one of them is BANK_SE_VOC_MORTON....I wonder if I can do anything with that....any ideas?

at this point...I think i should probably just wait until the program has full .brsar support....any idea when that might be?
RBNK files have audio as well, but so far so support for them.

Ha... It's going to be a slow and painful process. The reason why it's not done is because I've been putting it off. Every time I get started on it, I get stuck along the way somewhere, shortly followed by getting sidetracked by something easier or more important.

At some point in the development process, I have to make decisions on what things are more needed compared to others. Every time I start on RSAR, it gets interrupted by things (which I would consider) more urgent. In fact, I realized recently that I haven't been keeping up on my goal to incorporate %100 of the file formats, which is why I plan on adding one or two small formats per release.

The way things are now, I consider model rebuilding far more important than audio replacing. It surprises me to say this, but those and action scripts are the last big goals for BBox.

cdrom1019

Smash Rookie
crap....i really need those sounds too...this is the only program that comes close to getting those sounds....and that's not saying much....no offense to you

and i don't want to replace...i just want to export....i don't suppose you could just get the export part of it to work for right now right?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Can someone list the known menu background CLR0 files please? Also, did Dant ever release anything regarding that red background vid he made?

I don't know about everyone else, but my delete key doesn't do anything in the input boxes in the model previewer. Backspace works fine.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I posted a while back responding to Alphatron about the main menu's CLR0 names. CBA atm to find the post. Sorry ;_;

I CAN tell you ABG ALWAYS means the main part of the Background, and lambert is usually a small part of it. Rayerd is the small rings.

masamunecyrus

Smash Apprentice
Since no one's mentioned it yet (I think), I'd like to throw in that Unicode support would be really nice for BrawlBox. It doesn't seem to play very well with a lot of the messages in the .msbin files that use unicode characters (i.e., Pokémon, any Japanese characters).
I'd like to reiterate this, since people seem to be disinterested (despite being important, imo).

Additionally, does anyone know where the data on what songs go to what stages is stored (is this the right thread to ask in)? That is, certain stages have certain musics and certain quantities of music assigned to them. Does anyone know where that information is located? Could it be changed to, say, increase the number of songs on the menu from 3 to.. 10?

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Edit: Ignore this. I read the earlier posts entirely wrong.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The way things are now, I consider model rebuilding far more important than audio replacing.

Sorry, I had to hype a little.
Anyway, I agree that audio replcing should be a later priority, since as things stand.. without new models, there's not much use to working with sound data yet. Besides, now that collision editing is possible, new models are most sensible to be next in line, as collision editing borders on useless without such.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
we would have already have sound replacing had vile released his guide before he disappeared... and it would have also taken another file patching code to make it work with SD cards instead of edited ISOs

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Agree with masamunecyrus. But unicode support shouldn't be high priority right now.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Why cant I see the models, textures and animations in pokemon trainer, squrtle, charizard and ivysaur pac file (FitCharacter.pac)
I only get one MiscData D:
I am desperate after ivysaurs "dust of spore" model in his upsmash, uair and dair attack ;_;

Kryal

Smash Ace
Why cant I see the models, textures and animations in pokemon trainer, squrtle, charizard and ivysaur pac file (FitCharacter.pac)
I only get one MiscData D:
I am desperate after ivysaurs "dust of spore" model in his upsmash, uair and dair attack ;_;
Look in the numbered files 'FitCharacter##.pac'

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal

Can't we already do that? Just by loading an external file? Try it, Dantarion. (Unless you already have.)

Just a note: please use the issue tracker at the google code site for submitting issues, particularly for corrupted files. This will help tremendously because it allows us to attach resource files to open issues without the need to use file sharing sites. It also allows us to keep track of current issues and prevents duplicate reports.

Most bug resolutions are solved by submitting broken files for analysis, so contribute! Here's the link:
http://code.google.com/p/brawltools/issues/list
Good to know. I didn't even know there was a site for that.

The way things are now, I consider model rebuilding far more important than audio replacing. It surprises me to say this, but those and action scripts are the last big goals for BBox.
Is that a hint to what you're working on now, or are you just stating a fact?

we would have already have sound replacing had vile released his guide before he disappeared...
Do you actually mean he disappeared, or are you just saying he is taking a long time. If it's the second reason, just think about it: He's releasing a voice pack, and there are hundreds of voices in the game, give him some time. Sorry, I just had to say that.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
He's only replacing Marth's voice though shifter. THAT'S why we're so impatient. That and the fact that it's been a few weeks. It'll be a whole month soon. >_>

Back on topic, so will audio replacement not be a part of BBox at all Kryal? or are you just not concerned about it at the moment? o.o

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I think at some point, everything is going to be part of BrawlBox. It's just a matter of which features get added sooner and which ones later.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Long story short, Kyral is hyped for mewtwo and wants to see some model editing that isn't some funky and unnecessarily difficult vertex hack.

:3
-DD

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
if there was some automatic way to edit the verticies and see their connecting faces/edges it would make it more easy to edit them well, otherwise an automation of fortwaffles method to export the verticies into a 3ds format and back again would make the process much faster to at least guess and check editing and would be a great improvement for vertex model editing

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Long story short, Kyral is hyped for mewtwo and wants to see some model editing that isn't some funky and unnecessarily difficult vertex hack.

:3
-DD
Exactly, because (no offense if your read this, FW) FortWaffles' model has screwed up ears, which surprisingly don't show up screwed up if Mewtwo is hit or if he is laying on the ground after being hit.

Top Bottom