• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: TooBusyToCare!

Padô

Smash Lord
PhantomX,

Did you see some improvement during the last 8 months on the Wario boards or did it remain the same in terms of organization/improvement?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I'll answer whatever questions were last asked in a bit, whoring Final Fantasy XIII atm. I suggest we move on to Bassem, though?

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Phantom-X

Q. How does it feel to be less hairy than me?

A.I will tell you once I have balded enough to be less hairy than you

Q. Does Pass the Squirtle make you feel bad at all?

A. Pass the Squirtle is amazing. One of the most hilarious things I've invented on the fly :)

Q. What Disney song do I sing the best?

A. Uhh... I'd have to say I like your rendition of "Hakuna Matata" since you act out all the parts.

Q. If you could ban Hylian from singing a Disney song, what would you ban?

A. Jordan can sing any song he wants, he just needs to make sure he's inaudible to the rest of us, haha.

Q. What do you hate worse: Charizard's nair or Rock Smash?

A. I don't really hate either move... I just wish I'd die to rock smash in a less repetitive and monotonous fashion.

Q. Why are you such a nice person?

A. I feel that niceness comes from tolerance, patience with people, and understanding. I was brought up by good people, tend to make good people my friends, and am pretty good with people in general. I'm also a quite funny and intelligent guy, so being nice/good is natural to me.

Don't take me to be all that perfect, though, I'm quite intolerant and impatient when it comes to base ignorance and stupidity (not the benign kind, but the kind that motivates people to irrational [and often violent] behaviors and actions).

Q. Who are you, and what is your view on life, religion and the world as you know it?

A. I am PhantomX, obviously. I like to keep my gaming life and my private life as separate as possible. I don't really think I have a cemented view on life as a whole, I just sort of take it one step at a time with some prior planning to make its progress easier for myself. I am agnostic, and, since I've studied science and history a lot, I see religion more as a way to control the masses than anything else. Plus I've seen a lot of two-facedness from its practitioners, as well as extreme violence in the name of religions which attempt to preach tolerance and kindness.

I consider the world to be pretty corrupt. Due to the nature of people there is massive inequality and intolerance and violence. I particularly despise that those who are educated and in good positions often take advantage of those needier or less worldly than them for personal gain, at little or no consequence.

Q. Hardest matchup and favorite neutral and cp?

A.The hardest matchup for me personally is Snake because I don't have the patience it takes to deal with him and he can kill you early to boot. I love Smashville (though Battlefield is really growing on me), and it goes without saying that my favorite counterpick is Brinstar... I think I've only ever lost there once or twice (much earlier on in my "career").

Q. PX What do you think it takes for Wario to be played at high levels of play?

A. If you want to be successful with Wario at high levels of play you have to have a very good understanding of not just your character and what he's capable of, but of the htiboxes and gimmicks/tricks of the other characters (particularly those involving grabs). If you know how to space their moves JUST outside their hit range, you become able to punish pretty much anything that has any sort of commitment (animation-wise), including moves like Marth's fair and MK's dair.

Q. @PX: If you were president, what would you do for the smash community?

A. If I was president I would probably not be playing smash or caring about the community, as I would have bigger fish to fry and interns to ****.

Q. PhantomX Since I joined the Wario community you were (and still is) like the HEAD of the organization around here, from what I've been seeing you are taking some distance from the Smash Community lately (3 months ago maybe?), I've read a lot of your replys here and some of them justify that action (Med School and etc), do you really think we could keep this community organization with a little less of your presence?

A. I think the community will be fine without me. I wasn't always the one leading and organizing it. Before the "big four" (Fiction, Bassem, DMG, and myself) sort of took over, we had Blue Shell spearheading the Wario boards and metagame. I'm sure once I leave someone else will rise up to take my place, especially since the character seems to be getting a solid base of good players nowadays.

Q. I think we all feel pretty bad about knowing you aren't travelling to play anymore. Do you have plans on travelling to play again or being more active on distant tourneys?

A. This game has always been just that, a game to me. It's not worth it for me to spend hundreds on travel to play a video game. I like to have fun, but not when I could be doing it for much cheaper. If I'm going to spend a lot of money to go somewhere, I don't want it to be for a day, or to spend it locked in a room with a hundred guys (if it was a hundred scantily clad, highly attractive, and horny women, I'd consider it). So no, no plans to do so.

Q. Which TV series do you usually watch?

A. American TV is mostly a pile of **** atm, the only American TV shows I follow are House M.D. and The Mentalist, though I've started watching Chuck as well b/c that Australian chick is hot. I watch more anime as they tend to be both much more original and entertaining and I can watch them on the go (I ride the bus a lot to school, or have to wait between classes, etc.).

Q. You got a LOT of experience of almost all of the matchups. How did you manage to overcome your problems with specific matchups or "playing styles" from different players? Any advices to new players to overcome those?

A. I over came matchup issues mostly through trial and error. Particularly in friendlies, I'll try anything that comes to mind (as stupid as it may originally seem), to see what Wario can or can't do against certain tactics or moves, until I find something that works. It also helps that I'm very good at noticing patterns and conditioning opponents, so I can also often just outplay whoever I'm up against. Just make sure to remain unpredictable in your ventures while being patient to exploit both their patterns and their characters' vulnerabilities.

Q. TexMex favorite Dish?

A. TexMex sucks. Chipotle burritos are awesome though.

Q. PX do you feel bad about quitting right before MLG?

A. I don't really feel bad about it, though I did mention to Hylian the other day that it's almost like a giant MLG troll against me. I hear MLG tournaments tend to be amazing, so it's a shame that I'll never get to experience one. I don't really care about the tournaments themselves though, as it's mostly only beneficial for the top players that really want/need the money.

Q. how do i shot web?

A. Grab ***** > rub up and down quickly > web shot

Q. exactly how indian is bassem exactly?

A. He isn't indian, he's a **** terrorist sand ******!

Q. PX, how would you feel if Vanille replaced Wario?

A. If Vanille replaced Wario I would burn any copy of Brawl that I could get my hands on, whether they belong to people I know, or not. Vanille is demonspawn.

Q. PX who's gonna be a better doctor you or bassem?

A. I'm obviously going to be a better doctor. Bassem's going to be like "Look how risky I am!" and cut open some coronary artery or something.

Q. How did you even manage to get the grades to go to med school while playing brawl and being so good at it?

A. I'm pretty smart, lol. I also focused a lot more on my studies early on, so that I can goof around now. It also helps that I neither own the game or have ever taken it seriously, so I don't spend time practicing or thinking about it to improve or whatever. My intelligence and observational prowess made it easy to at least predict/outplay people.

Q. Did you ever wifi, and when you did, did it help you improve? Did you feel the improvement? Would you recommend wifi to others?

A. I played WiFi when I first started out, before I found out about the SWF Regional Boards and found out Hylian lived 10 minutes from my house. It gave me a general idea of how spammy players used their characters, but, as a Wario player, it wasn't helpful at all. I couldn't buffer, I couldn't play offstage, I couldn't space nearly as well as I do now, because the lag was so unpredictable. This was also back when everyone played WiFi, so it was even worse than nowadays, if you can picture that.

WiFi is better than nothing, of course, but don't expect to become GOOD with Wario from online play so much as to hone your ability to predict the actions of others (even if you can't punish them at the time). Just be wary of habits/moves/patterns that are safe online and not at all offline (FSMASH).

Q. Do you remember your first tourney? did you get ***** or were you just good from the beginning?

A. My first tournament ever was Centex, and it was primarily a doubles tournament (I mostly played doubles online, because I've always liked it much much more than singles). I teamed with DMG at it and we managed to get first with double Wario (and a little Wario/GW). We even took out Broken Arrow (I hard counter Broken Arrow) there and had a crazy match on Green Greens. I got 9th in singles out of like 15 people, but took out DMK, who, at the time, was one of the "best." I lost to Sethlon in a close set as well (he boost pivot chaingrabbed me on a Norfair platform), and then don't remember who else beat me, so it was a pretty good experience.

My first HOBO, the tournament I went to immediately after that, I got dead last in singles, losing to Light and Bwett. Doubles at that tournament was crap though, so it sort of marred the whole experience.

Q. How did it feel when you came first those two tournaments?

A. Haha, well, for me it wasn't anything particularly exhilarating or whatever. I know I can win tournaments if I set my mind to it (maybe not anymore though), so I sort of gave myself an invisible pat on the back and went on with my life to spend everyone's money. I was relieved when I did it in Hawaii though, b/c that was an expensive trip.

Q. Will you be lurking the boards to at least chat when you "retire"?

A. Of course I'll be sticking around, at least for a while. I still semi-lurk here in case I'm in class or bored, and to keep my moderator position :p I also still know a ton about Wario, just expect me to stop contributing the moment people are like "you suck because you don't place at tournaments."

Q. Did you see some improvement during the last 8 months on the Wario boards or did it remain the same in terms of organization/improvement?

A. The organization is better now, because we have a couple people who are dedicated to updating certain threads <3 Pado and Snack and Legendary, whereas that didn't exist before. It's also nice now that all the noobs are gone because they found out Wario is hard to play, lol.

Q. why do you **** my olimar and sandbag vs others

oh wait i suck

A. You fear my incredible physical attractiveness and kill yourself 2 times a round. It's okay Zori, there is nothing wrong with being distracted by beauty.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I'll answer whatever questions were last asked in a bit, whoring Final Fantasy XIII atm. I suggest we move on to Bassem, though?
I plan on doing that, I just wanted to get all of your answers and such before moving on to Bassem.

What color do you want to be?

:D

judge!

Smash Ace
bassem did ally go falcon against you?.....if he did how annoyed where u lmao. he beat my wario as well in winners finals a few weeks ago. do u think the matchup is solid in falcons faver?

bassem6

Smash Lord
Dude. I havent been so thoroughly convinced about a bad matchup for wario since ddd's chaingrab> grab release upsmash was discovered. (although the ddd matchup isnt too bad now)

Yes he went falcon on me. Yes he beat me. And a big yes that this matchup is in falcons favor. I would say its a 60-40 matchup against wario. It is SO hard.

And anyone who thinks otherwise hasnt played a GOOD falcon who knows how to play against wario. Im just mad I didnt counterpick metaknight. How silly of me haha.

Edit: forgot to answer part of your question. I was VERY annoyed xD

hunger!

Smash Champion
good stuff none the less bass.

<3

falcon can literally do anything he wants to wario out of a grab release except falcon punch. well....even then he can jump up footstool and start a jab lab off a nair. it's horrible =P

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I wouldnt say that Wario vs Falcon is bad. No, i have not played a very good falcon, but with the tools we have against falcon (bite, 0-70 dthrow, air mobility, juggle potential) we can take down falcon. you didnt lose to a falcon, you lost to ally. The only major thing falcon has on us is killing potential (grab release>knee)

"Falcon is a Wario counter" first thing that came to mind after reading the post by bassem. The day that happens, oh man..

bassem6

Smash Lord
Fiction, there is like a 10 frame window (I think? Im not too good with exact frames) to do that chaingrab on falcon each time and it takes quite a few of those down throws to get him to 70 so its pretty easy to screw it up and then falcon gets a free grab release> almost anything.

After ally beat me, I played dmg with him being wario and me being falcon ( I am certainly not a falcon expert or even a falcon secondary for that matter) and dmg did the chaingrab( not perfectly but he got a good 20-30% each time) and I still beat him. With my falcon...Yes it was a friendly but I still beat his main with a character I almost never use.

If the players are on the same level, I say its 60-40 falcon.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1. I could do the CG til about 50ish %, felt like I was a few frames too slow past that or I had it not stale enough or something. It feels clunky on Falcon. Like on DK it feels solid and ****, and then Falco and Falcon it feels janky.

2. Bassem you challenged me to a friendly lmao I didn't know that afterwards you were gonna base your opinions of a matchup based on how well you did. Sheeeet. Otherwise I might have Fair camped a bit more (which is pretty gay but I love the gay).

3. Falcon vs Wario honestly is not bad, but I would not call it a counter. 50:50 isn't out of the question, but meh.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
bassem no offense but stop pulling the fiction. You losing to a player of that character (whos better than you btw) does not mean the matchup is in his favor!

And the cg isnt that hard guys. Its hardest for me on wolf because you have to do it sooooooo many times haha.

bassem6

Smash Lord
1. I could do the CG til about 50ish %, felt like I was a few frames too slow past that or I had it not stale enough or something. It feels clunky on Falcon. Like on DK it feels solid and ****, and then Falco and Falcon it feels janky.

2. Bassem you challenged me to a friendly lmao I didn't know that afterwards you were gonna base your opinions of a matchup based on how well you did. Sheeeet. Otherwise I might have Fair camped a bit more (which is pretty gay but I love the gay).

3. Falcon vs Wario honestly is not bad, but I would not call it a counter. 50:50 isn't out of the question, but meh.
1)Agreed

2)My opinion of the matchup was decided before I played you, when ally beat me. Me playing you was to see it from falcons point of view. I tried fair camping vs ally. Falcons up air can beat it (the part that swings in front of him) especially if he is below you.

3) You didnt play a falcon main or secondary who understood the MU. If I actually used falcon more, it would have been harder for you. 55-45 falcon is the lowest Im willing to believe. I still think its 60-40 falcon though.

bassem no offense but stop pulling the fiction. You losing to a player of that character (whos better than you btw) does not mean the matchup is in his favor!

And the cg isnt that hard guys. Its hardest for me on wolf because you have to do it sooooooo many times haha.
No fiction. I played his snake too and I had less trouble with his snake than I did with his falcon. When a low tier gives you more trouble than the 2nd best character in the game, you know that something is up. Im not just venting because I lost to his falcon. I genuinely believe this is a bad matchup for wario. We just havent played any good falcons who know the MU to realize it yet.

Edit:If any other wario player doesnt believe me and attends a tourny that I do, I will mm you using my falcon against your wario to show you just how bs this matchup is.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Edit:If any other wario player doesnt believe me and attends a tourny that I do, I will mm you using my falcon against your wario to show you just how bs this matchup is.
Are you going to APEX? I'll do it. Please don't take this as me challenging your thoughts on the matchup, I'm just curious.

3$? If I win then I want a Wario ditto immediately after for the same amount so you can take your money back.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
bassem
reflex thinks the matchup is in falcons favor too.
he played falcon in a set against me and said so.

anyways,
how many gas stations do you own?
do you get to buy illegal stuff at gas stations owned by indians because they like you because you are indian? like cigs and beer?
what is the next building that is gonna get blowed up?
have you ever tried to bomb anything?
how often does ala intervein in your matches?

bassem6

Smash Lord
Are you going to APEX? I'll do it. Please don't take this as me challenging your thoughts on the matchup, I'm just curious.

3$? If I win then I want a Wario ditto immediately after for the same amount so you can take your money back.
Im probably not going to apex. I dont travel very far for tournaments. I may be going to whobo 2 though if youre going to that...

bassem
reflex thinks the matchup is in falcons favor too.
he played falcon in a set against me and said so.

anyways,
how many gas stations do you own?
do you get to buy illegal stuff at gas stations owned by indians because they like you because you are indian? like cigs and beer?
what is the next building that is gonna get blowed up?
have you ever tried to bomb anything?
how often does ala intervein in your matches?
The answer to all of your questions is IM NOT INDIAN! (Or native american for that matter). I'm egyptian! There's quite a difference! They aren't even on the same continent dude. Come on xD

I'll humor you anyways though

0 (I do have a pakistani friend whose dad owns one though haha)
No
No. No.
Uhh...some random building that gets bombed on in the middle east.
I have bombed a few tests before :\
Uhh, Ala carte? Or ala mode?

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Bassem I refuse to believe you. IF its even (which is the most you will talk me down to), you could still outcamp falcon easily. sorry but i just can't agree on this one.

55-45 wario, probably 60-40 on some stages.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I can see it being even as well. It's just that Falcon has the tools to take on Wario, kinda like how Bowser can take on Snake pretty **** well.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
even if falcon went even on somewhere like fd...what is he supposed to do on somewhere like cruise or frigate?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I don't see how he can even do anything if you don't commit to attacking him. He tries to approach you while you're at the end of the stage, you get a bite. He doesn't, you get waft. Win-win.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
If we avoid grabs from the likes of marth, snake, and ddd...I think we can avoid falcon's grab, especially seeing how he cant even kill as well as marth or ddd out of it.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Fresh knee anywhere near the edge can kill pretty **** well. He doesn't really have any good frametraps or setups for it, and his pivot grab is garbage, though, lol.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Bassem I refuse to believe you. IF its even (which is the most you will talk me down to), you could still outcamp falcon easily. sorry but i just can't agree on this one.

55-45 wario, probably 60-40 on some stages.
Alright dude, no problem. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion especially on brawl matchups. I would love to money match you to try and prove a point if you come to whobo 2 though :)

even if falcon went even on somewhere like fd...what is he supposed to do on somewhere like cruise or frigate?
Funny you should mention those stages because I cp'd both frigate AND rc against ally's falcon and he beat me on both of those stages. It was recorded and the videos should be up within 3-5 days or so. You can always argue that I suck I suppose xD

I don't see how he can even do anything if you don't commit to attacking him. He tries to approach you while you're at the end of the stage, you get a bite. He doesn't, you get waft. Win-win.
I didnt try the end of the stage bite, however, I can imagine what a skilled falcon would do. He would bait the bite while youre standing at the edge of the stage, then proceed to grab release > knee you killing you at a lower % because youre at the edge of the stage. I'll mm you too at whobo phantom.

it's called grab release.
and all that jazz.
Yes. Falcon's grab release leads into SO much bs on wario.

If we avoid grabs from the likes of marth, snake, and ddd...I think we can avoid falcon's grab, especially seeing how he cant even kill as well as marth or ddd out of it.
All of those characters are more slow in the air and on the ground than falcon. Marth's grab release doesnt kill as well as falcons. Snake's is pretty easy to avoid and nearby grenades will save you every so often.

We dont approach ddd once we get the lead and he's screwed because he doesnt have a reliable approach against wario. However, falcon can approach with up air, side-b and nair to name a few and get that lead right back in which case WE would have to approach him resulting in us getting ***** even harder.

Fresh knee anywhere near the edge can kill pretty **** well. He doesn't really have any good frametraps or setups for it, and his pivot grab is garbage, though, lol.
Falcon can first hit nair to jab to grab. Or just jab to grab and it works quite well. His pivot grab CAN be used if you know the timing for it well enough and you predict where the wario is going to land.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I can't believe you are actually trying to convince us that falcon 60-40's wario....

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Phantom X, I need you to answer all the other questions that haven't been answered.

So I can be useful and update the OP.

Does anyone want to be interviewed by the way?

Fiction? Toobusy? BMX? Gichan?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
None of those grab setups are guaranteed, Bassem. They rely on player error or predictability. Also, Falcon doesn't have approaches, if he did, he would be a better character. His only good move is jab, really (I know upair is decent, but it's far from dangerous). Also, if you do a falling bite and then buffer out of it as you hit the ground, Falcon can't do anything.

Top Bottom