• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so, Takamaru :
I give him a 1 of want
and a 2.9 of likelihood

I don't know who he is, and, I doubt it'll be him to be the next retro to be revived, as he's already been revived in both Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendoland.

Also, SSBF, are you not counting my nominations ? I had put 4 votes for Waluigi and 1 for Roy in the previous day, but, they're not counted in the 'Nominations' section in the OP.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Takamaru

Want: 4.5

Likelyhood: 4.3

Nintendo's already referenced to him or made him have plenty of quest appearances lately, as many have mentioned before. Along with that is that he's one of the most requested retros at the moment to appear in Smash and has significant amount of popularity in the East. It's only logical to top all this with him being playable in SSB4.

Takamaru would serve as a more defensive and swift counterpart for Link with his moveset that could be slightly similar but would refer to his game being more harder and faster-paced than it's big brother counterpart. Also he has slew of unique moves at disposal to use, from shurikens to invicibility cloaks and ability to cast lightning or deflect projectiles with his katana.

Still, he has few obstacles for his inclusion, for that his game's still japan-only and hadn't had yet any direct sequel. (Sorry but SW3 doesn't still count.)
Some also say his fanbase's just expecting him to be in Smash and he isn't much important or significant to Nintendo's history. Takamaru though has the best priority of all retros out there (unless Sakurai wants to use Mach Rider instead) and and we could finally have the NES Siblings joined together in Smash (Pit, Samus, Takamaru and Link).

Prediction for Dark Samus: 2.7

Noms:

Starfy x2

Dixie Kong x3

To me, leeching off another games engine seems more lazy than an important historical fact
I dunno really. It was the 80's back then, there would be many other games pulling this off too (Kid Icarus says hello.) It wasn't necessarily a sign of laziness, it was reusing the hardly produced resources again, since doing good games back then was pretty difficult in it's time. (-l´l-);

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@samusrules93: How is Waluigi important?

And Nazo No Murasame Jo being a sister game to The Legend of Zelda warrants some importance to Nintendo's history.
He's not. Just using another un-important character to help metaphor my feelings for takamaru. No offense to takamaru lovers, of course. I just don't know 'em,

D

Deleted member

@Jhonny: I did? I need to look over said post and correct that if that is the case.

@TheJohnMonster: No nominations with decimals. Also, Ridley won't be nominated for a month due to already having gone and Dark Samus is being voted on tomorrow.

Less than five hours left.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sorry if I'm sounding a little douchy over the whole takamaru thing. Just hard to have feelings for a character I haven't heard of, and at first glance, seems to be just another sword fighter from a forgotten era, with a few modern day cameos. Nintendo loves doing modern cameos though, from the excite-a-bike remake for th 3ds, to of course, pit. I'd just rather see some new series represented, like custom robo, golden sun, or hell, even megaman. I'd even rather see secondary characters, like another F Zero or Metroid (ESPECIALLY THAT ONE) first.

idk. but then, smash wouldn't be smash without these wacky inclusions. and there could be more than one, I mean brawl had ROB and pit. I'd like to see sukapon, personally, if some bizarre series gets represented. I guess takamaru has equal standing to the likes of balloon fighter, or mach rider, in my mind.

D

Deleted member

@TheJohnMonster: Right now, you only have five nominations a day. You put in ten nominations, which is over the limit (unless you win a prediction, which you have not).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually using other games engines is still largely in practice today.

I realize it's not such a horrible thing, and some great games have come out doing that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@TheJohnMonster: Right now, you only have five nominations a day. You put in ten nominations, which is over the limit (unless you win a prediction, which you have not).
Oh, so we get to nominate five characters per day? I only did five so far, so I'll have to catch up...

Day 2 Nominations
1: King K. Rool
2: Zoroark
3: Bowser Jr.
4: Black Shadow
5: Dixie Kong

Day 3 Nominations
1: Zoroark
2: Ridley
3: King K. Rool
4: Palutena
5: Samurai Goroh

Day 4 Nominations
1: Rosalina
2: Bowser Jr.
3: Ridley
4: Dixie Kong
5: Saki

D

Deleted member

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: You can only nominate for today. You do not get more nominations just because you forgot to nominate the previous day.

I'll take your Day Four nomination, unless you want to adjust that (but Ridley cannot be revoted yet). As a matter of fact, no character that has already been voted is eligible for re-voting yet since it has yet to be a month since they have been revoted.

@samusrules93: Once a character has had his day, he can no longer be voted on. Ridley has already gotten his shot, so you have to wait a month before he can be re-voted.

@DarkSouls: If that's the prediction, I'll take it, but the Ridley vote will not be taken due to above reason.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So far Psycoincarnate has given the only decent argument. At least up until he got all technical about samurai not using shuriken. Yeah well it's not like ya see Knights using boomerangs and Plumbers doing backflips yadda yadda he's just a cool character! XD

D

Deleted member

During the voting process, Takamaru took the time to show what he was capable of. Some people were wowed by it, others were indifferent about it and did not see why it made such a big difference. People then turned up to vote on how much they wanted Takamaru, in which he received an okay 3.13. Takamaru was neutral in expression; it wasn't what he wanted, but he didn't care all that much about it.

His likelihood score was good, however, as he did reach a 3.65. He then walked back, confident and hoping he would join the scene.

Before he left, he gave Habanero a gift for winning the prediction, five extra nominations.

Phazon started to appear and when the door opened came the fearsome Dark Samus. As the one who enslaved the entire Space Pirates, Dark Samus was willing to do anything in her power to control those who opposed him, even to the point of killing them. Dark Samus had reached obscurity since the Brawl days in the speculation forum, but could Dark Samus still show that he had what it take to get in Smash 4?

Day Five has started! Today, you may vote for Dark Samus and predict what Muddy Mole gets tomorrow. You have until 12:10 AM CST tomorrow.

I will hold out my final analysis of Dark Samus's chances until near the end of Day Five as I'd like to see if supporters can prove to me that Dark Samus meets the second criteria in Sakurai's eyes (if the character can be unique).. But while I'm at it, I will give a prediction of 1.38 for Muddy Mole and 3.5 in want for Dark Samus. Dark Samus is my preferred Metroid rep and the only one that holds my interest.

I'll start with this, has there been any evidence to show that Sakurai has bought Metroid Prime Trilogy or played Corruption for more than ten minutes? The latter probably explains why Dark Samus is falsely accused of being a clone of Samus by detractors (and why Sakurai described him as very similar to Samus back in the Brawl's trophy description, because of due to lack of information).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Want: 1.5
Likeliness: 2

Sakurai said he was looking for another Metroid character when he originally got talking about ZZS back when the original trailer was shown, and like Ridley, it became appearant that she was ignored but to an even larger extent. Most of her fan has died down while the Ridley base has risen. I really only see her being added if Sakurai wants another Metroid character as much the fanbase does, and if the good old college try with Ridley fails (and that he still has time leftover too).

I myself was very surprised that Dark didn't even get in as an alt color for Samus.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus :
Want: 2.9
Likelihood: 3.2

I do believe that Dark Samus will appear as a playable character after Ridley. She also has pretty good chances to appear as DLC.

Nominations(make sure to not forget them, SSBF!):
Roy x2
Waluigi
Mach Rider
Mewtwo

Also, can I put my day four nominations here ? I forgot to put them up yesterday...

D

Deleted member

@Jhonnykiller45: Sorry, but no. You may not get extra nomination because you did not nominate the previous day. You still have five nominations to work with. The only way to gain more nomination is by winning predictions.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Want? 4.7. I actually want her more than Ridley, and that's saying a LOT.

Likelihood? 3.3. Dark Samus is the only other viable Metroid representative after Ridley; if Smash Bros is to have another Metroid character (Or more than one), she'll have to be looked at.

These numbers are pretty much arbitrary. :awesome:

The four criteria for Sakurai...

1- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.

Dark Samus is a reasonably popular character who scores decently in polls. She's not OMGpopular like Ridley, but she does fine. As we've seen with Shiek, you don't have to be that popular.

2- The character must be unique

Dark Samus is plenty unique. Of course, whoever wrote the Brawl trophy description certainly doesn't realize this, but you'd think a programmer like Sakurai knows of the mighty Google. If he's looking at Metroid reps, Dark Samus and Ridley are going to be the two coming up the most, and he's going to at least check up on both of them.

3- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

This criteria is odd; just look at the space animals and Captain Falcon. Anyway, Dark Samus fills this criteria.

4- They must contribute to the game balance.

This criteria makes no sense if you take it literally. I have no idea why it's there. I can't really say Dark Samus fits this, just because I have no idea what it's asking for. She's uber-powerful, yes, but so are Ganondorf and Mewtwo and Samus and Ness and Lucas.

Now here are some common arguments against Dark Samus that I disagree with. Warning: Lots of text

Dark Samus is just a Dark Samus.

Play the Metroid Prime games, because you obviously haven't and they're great games.

Dark Samus would just be a Samus clone!

Dark Samus has actually built up quite a respectable repertoire of unique moves in the second two Prime games, and she could also have some abilities from her Metroid Prime form in the first game. The only moves she shares with Smash Samus are the power beam, missiles, and super missiles. Dark Samus does not use bombs, the screw attack, or the grapple beam at all. Giving her those abilities would require an effort to have her as a clone; it’s like Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone, even though he has plenty of unique abilities.

Sakurai thinks Dark Samus would be a Samus clone, because Brawl's trophy description calls them identical.

If a character's trophy determines what a character has to be like in the next Smash Bros, why doesn't Pit look like this?

Even if she is different from Samus, why should we add her? What can she add to the roster?

Dark Samus can…
-Fly
-Turn invisible
-Become briefly invincible
-Shape crystal phazon into pillars and walls
-Boost herself at great speed in Morph Ball form
-Create shockwaves by launching herself into the ground like a meteor
-Make copies of herself and attack in tandem with the clones
-Spin right round, right round
-Corrupt people with Phazon, eventually turning the corruption into mind control

And more! She’s one of the most versatile potential newcomers for Smash, since you can base a moveset on nearly any combination of these gimmicks. It's ironic that so many people think Dark Samus would be a clone; if anything, an accurate Dark Samus would be one of the strangest characters in the game.

Dark Samus has Samus in her name. We don’t need three Metroid reps with Samus in their name.

Would it help if she was called Metroid Prime?

This is also a rather strange reason, since the three Samus variations would be vastly different from one another (Unlike, say, the Star Fox reps in Brawl... And people still want a fourth!).

Dark Samus isn’t important enough.

Dark Samus is one of the most important figures in the Metroid franchise, equaling Mother Brain and only being surpassed by Ridley. She is the main villain and final boss* in all three games of the Metroid Prime trilogy (Spoilers: Metroid Prime is Dark Samus). Metroid Prime is one of the highest-selling Metroid games and has the highest critical reception, and the latter two titles, while lesser successes, still got good critical reception. Metroid Prime sadly got little respect in Brawl (One stage and a few trophies, not counting the unrelated Metroid Prime Hunters game), but Dark Samus would be a great way to represent the series.

*AU 313 was merged with and being controlled by Dark Samus.

Metroid Prime is finished.

So was Mother. Metroid Prime is one of the most critically lauded main Nintendo series; it deserves love and attention.

Dark Samus is in competition with Ridley.

This is probably the greatest point against her. Ridley is unquestionably more popular and is probably the only mainstay character of the series outside of Samus and the Metroids. I would love to see him in Smash 4.

However, Dark Samus would be a great alternative if *SHOCK AND HORROR* Ridley does not get in. Sakurai saw the demand for Ridley in Brawl and still did not include the character, so there is always the chance that he may once again be absent. If Sakurai's opinion is truly static, he would have the same opinion he expressed before on Ridley: Maybe, yes, no.

Also, Metroid could have four characters.

No it couldn't.

The Metroid series is ongoing with 11 games. It has two characters.

The Mother series is long-dormant and has three games, only one of which was released outside of Japan. It has two characters.

The Star Fox series has half the games of Metroid and has been critically unsteady since Adventures; it received three characters in Brawl, and some people are even suggesting a fourth.

Metroid can have four characters.

What about Adam Malkovich/Sylux/Anthony Higgs/MB/Rundas/etc…?

Mother Brain can't work unless the Dev team gets very creative; her stationary brain form is just that, stationary, while her giant form actually does fit under the "Too big" argument leveled at Ridley, especially since Mother Brain's massive brain would be tiny if it were resized. MB would not be satisfactory; she's essentially a different character from a terrible game.

Because Mother Brain is not very well suited to Smash Bros, Adam Malkovich is the next Metroid character in line. However, I have no idea why someone would want Adam. He is one of the most hated Metroid characters because of his overbearing roles in Fusion and Other M, as well as his bland personality. He has no powers beyond a freeze gun and a bullet-firing (AKA not in Smash Bros) gun.

Anthony and Rundas have no importance to the franchise outside of their respective games and aren't particularly important even in their games. And Sylux? Don't make me laugh.

Why should Metroid get another character?

Why should any franchise get another character? It's not like they've been rational with character numbers in the past (LOL Star Fox having three characters). Maybe they should just cut everybody but Falco and make Super Smash Bros Hipster.

Dark Samus isn’t popular in Japan.

Metroid isn’t popular in Japan. Is this really going to get us anywhere?

Dark Samus can just be a Samus alternate costume!

She could. However, it's a bad idea.

First off, Samus has tons of potential alternate costumes. The Fusion Suit, the vanilla Power Suit, the Dark Suit, the Light Suit, and the PED are all great-looking. Why introduce Dark Samus as an alt when there are so many better ones that are actually Samus?

Second, the costume would be weird and present issues that other alternate Samus costumes wouldn't face. As mentioned before, Dark Samus does not have the grapple beam, the morph ball bombs, and the screw attack. She also cannot shed her armor to become Zero-Suit Samus, since Dark Samus is the armor. And let's not forget that any rendition of Dark Samus is incomplete without her trademark booming evil laughter!

Third, just because you can make something an alternate costume doesn't mean you should. Jigglypuff could be a Kirby alternate costume, but I don't think anybody in their right minds is proposing that idea.

Would Dark Samus as an alternate costume be a neat extra if she doesn't get in? Sure. Is that a legitimate argument against her inclusion? No. Being a potentially decent alternate costume choice shouldn't hurt a character's chances; if they're not going to get in, they're not going to get in for very different reasons.

OH YEAH AND MUDDY MOLE GETS A 2 BECAUSE HE'S RETRO AND TOO COOL FOR SMASH. LET'S ADD 5 VOTES FOR MEWTWO!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Want: 0, Expect: 2.5

Before Metroid Prime, there was this little game called Fusion that had the same concept as Dark Samus but did it better.

Samus was left vulnerable, without a suit. The parasite Samus was THE threat. Something you feared. Something that could be in any room, and you stood NO chance. You could do nothing except run. I'm really not sure why they felt the need to take that same concept and use it again throughout the prime series...

And while I understand the prime series was important to Metroid, despite me not enjoying it like the old school games, the true enemy of Samus is Ridley. If anyone from Metroid get's in, it SHOULD be Ridley on all accounts. The only way I can see Dark Samus getting in is IF Sakurai STILL insists Ridley is too big and bad to be playable or Ridley is playable AND they feel Metroid needs more characters.

Also, Sakurai at least feel Dark Samus would be a clone of Samus..for whatever that is worth

Dark Samus is identical to Samus in every way but color—she even uses similar attacks
Nominate: Geno x2, Sukapon x2, Tom Nook

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
If a character's trophy determines what a character has to be like in Smash, why doesn't Pit look like this?

Random quibble: That translator did not do a good job on the Dark Samus trophy description; similar is not "identical".

Before Metroid Prime, there was this little game called Fusion that had the same concept as Dark Samus but did it better.

Samus was left vulnerable, without a suit. The parasite Samus was THE threat. Something you feared. Something that could be in any room, and you stood NO chance. You could do nothing except run. I'm really not sure why they felt the need to take that same concept and use it again throughout the prime series...
Dark Samus and the SA-X are different concepts. The SA-X harkens more to survival horror, the idea of a monstrous pursuer who can't be stopped or killed but only avoided. Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2, on the other hand, is the rival concept; she faces you periodically, growing stronger when you grow stronger, fighting Samus on an equal level. In Prime 3, she was more of a background villain who was a constant presence.

Fusion didn't do the concept better, it did stuff different. I think the SA-X is one of Fusion's strongest points (Except for its stupid second form and the blatant rip-off of Super Metroid's baby Metroid sacrifice), but I don't think Retro or Nintendo was trying to go for the same concept at all with Dark Samus. If you prefer the survival horror concept, that's fine; just realize that some people prefer other types of games.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow. DarkSouls, you know a lot about dark Samus, don't you. Before I make a proper analysis of dark Samus' chances, I would like to know some more history on her, since I've only played one metroid game, and it broke before I completed it...

Edit: Plusle and Minun WILL take over Palutena!
Plusle and Minun x5

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He doesn't appear like that because it's a redesign. He still captures the essence of the character form the games.

Appearance and description are 2 different things

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Wow. DarkSouls, you know a lot about dark Samus, don't you. Before I make a proper analysis of dark Samus' chances, I would like to know some more history on her, since I've only played one metroid game, and it broke before I completed it...
Dark Samus is a radioactive space bug who killed an entire civilization with radiation after a radioactive meteor hit their planet. Samus decided this wasn't okay, and killed the space bug with radiation (Except not really). That bug grabbed Samus' radiation armor and began using it to travel to different planets and eat radiation. She found Samus and tried to kill her with dark radiation, but Samus survived and began winning her fights, even when the space bug was so radioactive that she was transparent. After losing a third time and nearly getting caught in a collapsing dimension, the bug looked at her priorities and decided she was done eating radiation, and it was time to spread radiation everywhere. So she boarded a ship full of pirates and brainwashed them with radiation to find a planet made of radiation and a good computer. She then began firing radioactive meteorites at different planets while making her radioactive pirates kill everyone. She eventually made Samus and three other hunters radioactive and assimilated the three chumps, but Samus got mad and blew the space bug up (Even after she installed herself into her computer and made it radioactive), which blew up all the radiation in the galaxy.

And everyone lived happily ever after. Except Dark Samus.

He doesn't appear like that because it's a redesign.
A redesign indicates the perspective of him changed between games. Did Sakurai ever go, "Oh no, I can't redesign Pit, he looked this way in Melee!"?

He still captures the essence of the character form the games.
When I see 8 bit Pit run around with dual blades slashing at stuff, I'll believe it.

Also, a Dark Samus that's not a clone would more accurately capture the essence of the character from the games.

Appearance and description are 2 different things
Both reflect the developer's perception of a character. All I'm showing with the trophy is that something changed with how Sakurai viewed Pit, and the exact same thing can happen with Dark Samus. He's already "reimagined" several characters like Pit and Zero-Suit Samus.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I don't agree with you. That pit capture THE pit of the time.

Unless your saying Dark Samus is going to change between then and now.

The pit they showed followed the old design and artwork perfectly, Sakurai felt Pit needed to be updated to fit into the modern age.

Are you saying Dark Samus needs to be updated to be put into smash?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Dark Samus:
Want: 4.88
Likelihood: 3.92
After reading the things on this thread, It is indeed obvious that Dark Samus deserves a place in SSB4, however, being over-shadowed by Ridley is the only reason why he is not guaranteed in SSB4. I can't believe that some people still use the arguments that DarkSouls has made redundant already.
Muddy Mole prediction: 3.52
It is obvious that Muddy Mole is like Marmite, you wither love it or hate (that's untrue though, since I'm a little eh on the subject) but there is definately more supporters than haters, and so that means I think my prediction is pretty accurate, since the high scores will even out the low.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't agree with you. That pit capture THE pit of the time.

Unless your saying Dark Samus is going to change between then and now.

The pit they showed followed the old design and artwork perfectly, Sakurai felt Pit needed to be updated to fit into the modern age.
Again: Sakurai's perspective of Pit changed between games. He gave Pit a bow that splits into a pair of blades and a new anime style. Obviously, something changed about how he saw Pit, or he wouldn't have added the redesign.

His views on characters are not static. Hell, the Ridley interview quote shows how he can reconsider his perspective.

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

If there is to be another Metroid character in Smash, the only popular choices are Ridley, Anthony, and Dark Samus. If Sakurai is looking through popular Metroid characters to add to Smash, he's going to have to know more about them than just "She looks like Samus" and "Ridley is a big purple dragon who is big" and "he's black". And that might make him reconsider his previous perspective.

Of course, this is all assuming Sakurai wrote that trophy description, and it's hard to believe he wrote and researched every description in Brawl.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Notice: I know I am the creator of the Dark Samus thread so this post will contain a biased viewpoint so take it as you will. I tried to explain things logically and with as little bias as possible.

Dark Samus is a character that could be both likely and unlikely and fairly controversial in terms of likeliness. Takamaru, while not exactly popular, faired well within the ratiings and is generally seen as a possible contender. Dark Samus...well...people would just prefer to see her as a alyt costume which is sad actually.

Dark Samus' inclusion wholly depends on which way Sakurai wants to take the Metroid franchise within the Smash series. Historically speaking, the Metroid series never fared well within Smash. Since 64, we have had a stage involving lava of some sort and two renditions of Brinstar in SSBM. It wasn't until SSBB that we had any MP elements thrown in (granted MP was released after SSBM). However, in SSBB, we only got Frigate Orpheon and Meta-Ridley to help rep the Metroid Prime series.

Dark Samus has this ability to help rep the Metroid Prime series as a playable character but also integrate herseef into the Smash world...and maybe take it over.

[COLLAPSE="Uniqueness:"]I know many people see or look at Dark Samus and think "Oh god, what we need more is clones." i agree. I dislike clones but I don't dislike character that are variations of previous characters. I hate clones but I loved the inclusion of Toon Link. I hate clones but I found Dr. Mario to be an interesting addition. So, would Dark Samus be a clone? Again, it depends wholly on how Sakurai views but Dark Samus has the ability to not become a clone. As Dark Souls said, she has a wide variety of abilities that can be worked into a unique moveset.
[COLLAPSE="Dark samus abilties"]-Fly
-Turn invisible
-Become briefly invincible
-Shape crystal phazon into pillars and walls
-Boost herself at great speed in Morph Ball form
-Create shockwaves by launching herself into the ground like a meteor
-Make copies of herself and attack in tandem with the clones
-Spin right round, right round
-Corrupt people with Phazon, eventually turning the corruption into mind control[/COLLAPSE]
Thus, Dark Samus would utilize phazon based attacks to attack enemies. The Phazon itself would make for a interesting style of combat that could have various properties; much like how Lucario had.

Aside from a move set, Dark Samus would also be much more "chaotic" Samus. Within the support thread, we suggested a warith-like appearance with Phazon distorting her figure and evaporating off from her. It was even suggested to make her appear as she was falling apart at the seams. Dark Samus would obviously move much differently and attack different compared to Samus. Maybe it's just me but I would love to play as a contorting chaotic mass of dark energy that screams "death" as it attacks. it would look pretty cool.

Here is a glimpse on what Dark Samus can offer in smash via character hack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIm8sRc0kA0

Sakurai could take any character and make them a move set. But of course, balancing becomes a issue. Dark Samus could be easily balanced into the game. While her attacks wouldn't be as powerful as the original Smash, they have a staggering, poison like phaaze status. [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Metroid Franchise:"] Dark Samus or Metroid Prime was one of the if not main leading antagonists and even brought Ridley into her control for some time. Needless to say, she is a BAMF. She is extremely important to the Metroid Prime franchise as well as the Metroid franchise. [/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Within the Smash Franchise:"] So why would Sakurai want to include Dark Samus into the roster? Besides a unique play style which I mentioned above, Dark Samus could have a profound effect in a future story mode due to her ability to "corrode" people. Additionally, she has a sick and twisted personality that has yet to be seen in the Smash series. You could say Ridley provides for that but....Dark Samus seems even more twisted due to the dark energies that keep her alive. Ridley has a shred of humani....dragonmity left. Not Dark Samus.

Dark Samus, after Ridley, is the most logical 4th character. Metroid deserves at least one more character and that should go to Ridley. In the event Ridley can't be included: the spot should go to a unique Dark Samus. However, who is to say that Metroid shouldn't get two reps? While it may seem overkill, Pokemon got Pichu and Mewtwo in Smash Bros. Melee, Mario got Bowser, Dr. Mario, and Peach, Fire Emblem got tow brand new newcomers, Kriby got Metaknight and King Dedede in SSBB, etc. These franchises are all major flagship franchises and a group Metroid is apart of. I think it has become a less about whether Dark Samus should get in or not but., rather, correct and ample representation of the Metroid Prime series and Metroid franchise in the Smash universe.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Sakurai and Dark Samus"]Sakurai already wrote in the trophy "Dark Samus is identical to Samus in every way but color—she even uses similar attacks". That statement does hurt Dark Samus; especially if that is how Sakurai feels. If that is - I would say Dark Samus would be regulated to clone or non-playable status. But I would say that description is entirely untrue. As mentioned before, Dark Samus is hardly a direct clone of Samus. If Sakurai was to see this, I believe he would agree too. However, one has to take into account if he truly cares about it.

So, in the end, it depends entirely on Sakurai's views on Metroid, Metroid Prime, and dark Samus which as never been stellar to begin with. However, Dark Samus has the ability to become a unique and dynamic character with relevancy in both Metroid and Nintendo and contribute a lot to the Smash universe as a sadistic villainess[/COLLAPSE]

So, to break down what I said, I want to see Dark Samus in Smash but as a unique character that stays true to her personality within the Metroid Prime series. In addition, Dark Samus would help represent the long under-represented Metroid Prime series.

For Dark Samus,

Likeliness: 2.0
Want: 4.80

And my prediction for Muddy Mole is a: 3.0

My Nominations are:

Mach Rider x2
Palutena x3

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: You can only nominate for today. You do not get more nominations just because you forgot to nominate the previous day.

I'll take your Day Four nomination, unless you want to adjust that (but Ridley cannot be revoted yet). As a matter of fact, no character that has already been voted is eligible for re-voting yet since it has yet to be a month since they have been revoted.
Guess I should've done my day 2 and day 3 nominations sooner, but they pretty much slipped my mind.

Anyway, I'll rate Dark Samus a 3. Although Dark Samus can easily operate in a completely different manner than Samus, its odds of making the the cut don't sound all that impressive.

Nominations-wise...

1: Zoroark
2: Bowser Jr.
3: Mewtwo
4: Rosalina
5: Dixie Kong

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmm...as for Dark Samus, I don't see anything wrong with her/it per say. It's more of the fact that Sakurai has been shown to neglect the Metroid franchise. Now, I wholeheartedly believe that Ridley would be first in line for a Metroid newcomer, but due to comparatively smaller demand and Sakurai neglecting the series, I don't think he'll add two in the next game.

For Want: 2
For Likelihood: 2

Muddy Mole Prediction (I'm having fun tomorrow...) : 3.2

Nominations: x5 Palutena

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Dark Samus, she is no way a clone, they only think they share is a name, her abilities are entirely based of phazon, just like Lucario has all his moves with Aura. While Samus uses basic beam attacks and lasers. Dark Samus has more of a shotgun effect, she can fly, its missiles are different, and she has the ability to turn invisible and create a shield. There are also a lot more abilities besides those. Since she is made of phazon she has the ability to change herself and create new abilities.

For Want. 4.50
For Likelihood. 3.00

yani

Smash Lord
Dark Samus.. a really poor choice for a character. She should just be an alt for Samus. If Metroid gets another rep, it should be Ridley, not another variant of Samus.

Want: 0
Likelihood: 1.5

edit: Nominate Sonic x 5

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dark Samus, she is no way a clone, they only think they share is a name, her abilities are entirely based of phazon, just like Lucario has all his moves with Aura. While Samus uses basic beam attacks and lasers. Dark Samus has more of a shotgun effect, she can fly, its missiles are different, and she has the ability to turn invisible and create a shield. There are also a lot more abilities besides those. Since she is made of phazon she has the ability to change herself and create new abilities.

For Want. 4.50
For Likelihood. 3.00
Well, technically Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus, contraining her DNA. A phazon clone

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus
I think she has more of a chance as an alt costume, but as a character, I'm not sure. I personally would want to leave room for a character with a lot different mechanics. (not just moves). But Sakurai could look at the character at one point.

Want: 1.2
Likelihood:1.3

Prediction: 4.1

Nominations: Chibi-Robo x5

:phone:

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Well, technically Dark Samus is a literal clone of Samus, contraining her DNA. A phazon clone

Actually you are wrong there, Dark Samus stole Samus's Phazon Suit and used it as a model to kind of grow a body, there is not DNA of Samus in Dark Samus, you are thinking of the SA-X, which is a parasite that took Samus's DNA and then made itself Samus, so while their abilities are sort of alike, they are different.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In one of the in-game scans of Dark Samus in Echoes, it does say that traces of your DNA are detected within her, so that technically does make her a clone in part. She's Samus's DNA, Metroid Prime's DNA, plus Phazon. Without both the Phazon Suit and some of Samus's DNA though, Dark Samus would not have been possible.

edit: I thought this was the Dark Samus thread at first. Not sure what I'd rate her as as far as want and likelihood atm.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Want: 1
Likely: 2

MP is done, DS is dead. While she has potential for an original moveset, she still has Samus's body.

Nominate: Anna x5

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Want: 1
Likelihood: 1.5

I am in the camp that believes Ridley is a shoo-in. Because he likely will take a bit of effort to include and he's far and away the only Metroid character with a real fanbase, I don't think Dark Samus will get much consideration as a newcomer. As long as Ridley remains unconfirmed, he'll pretty much overshadow Dark Samus in every way possible, likely resulting in Dark Samus staying ignored for a good while. Her likelihood is somewhat similar to that of King Boo, a major antagonist from a branch of the main franchise, albeit with more prominence and fewer obstacles toward playability.

Her "being exactly the same as Samus" can help her likelihood if last-minute clones are needed, despite her having plenty of original moves.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For me being the most pesimistic and insistant of the lack of Dark Samus' worth, I sure gave her a high likelihood after seeing what other people thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom