• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

comboking

Smash Master
all is forgivin i will listen more closely how bout every week we battle on Saturday night if we can
if you want to record them to show my progress then u can.Im sorry all of u we are a community and we need to stick together.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Forgiven? wtf... I may or may not do it depending on if I'm fighting fun people, tournaments, yata yata. I don't even upload my tournament videos so don't count on me uploading yours.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
all is forgivin i will listen more closely how bout every week we battle on Saturday night if we can
if you want to record them to show my progress then u can.Im sorry all of u we are a community and we need to stick together.
Sometimes I wonder what goes on in that brain of yours. :ohwell:

But I guess you meant you're apologizing. It's a good step to being a good Ike mainer.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
What's interesting to note is that most of MK's match-ups are 45-55 or 40-60 which are completely winnable fights. His "****" match-ups are against characters who aren't even good to begin with, like Link or Ganon. Whether he is broken or not (I staunchly think he isn't), you should treat him like just another match-up. That's a good thing, because Ike is rather good against MK.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Alright fine yagami get in here your the only one on right now thats in the no group.

edit: **** he beat me to it.

edit2: I know theres a rumor that Ike is good against MK but that thing should have died by now. You should know very well (unlike the lucario boards) that Ike is a punisher and that his biggest strength is against his opponents weaknesses. MK has none how ever with his lag less moves and shield pressure then super godly off stage I actually see this being a 65-45 against Ike.

I also don't believe that MK has more than 1 55-45 match which is still a bit in his favor.

Hoser

Smash Ace
Actually, I'm against the ban. I think it's too early to ban him, the meta game is still evolving (as proven by us), and more and more Anti-Meta Knight techniques are being discovered.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I know theres a rumor that Ike is good against MK but that thing should have died by now. You should know very well (unlike the lucario boards) that Ike is a punisher and that his biggest strength is against his opponents weaknesses. MK has none how ever with his lag less moves and shield pressure then super godly off stage I actually see this being a 65-45 against Ike.

I also don't believe that MK has more than 1 55-45 match which is still a bit in his favor.
Ike's primary role is most certainly as a punisher of mistakes or a capitalizer on weaknesses. His secondary role, however, is as a spacer. Meta Knight has no static weaknesses, you're correct in saying that. What I mean by saying static is that MK's weaknesses vary on a case by case basis. Take Ike, for example. His recovery is mediocre, period. It doesn't magically get awesome in certain match-ups. On the contrary, MK's weaknesses fade and appear in certain matches. In the MK v Ike match, it's very visible that while MK has above average range and very good priority, it still pales in comparison to Ike's. Similarly, Ike really has a massive power advantage, so MK can die quite easily. Add to that the fact that MK's most notorious move, the Tornado, is pretty much not really a good option against Ike, and you've got a good match on your hands.

I don't particularly want to get into the specifics of MK's 55-45 and such matches, but M2K did make a post in which he said that ti was Snake's favor. While his word isn't some sort of end all on the issue, I don't want to just generally assume that MK lacks bad matches. But as far as 45-55 stands, it is essentially neutral and 40-60 is close to it as well.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You give Ike's spacing ability too much credit.

Just because Ike can space doesn't mean Metaknight won't get in. There's so many possbilities for Metaknight to get in besides the mindless "leeroy jenkins" tactic that spacing can only get Ike so far.

The only thing Ike has is his F-air range, and power, which pales in comparison to Metaknight's massive numbers of quality and quantity advantages.

And I'm only pro-ban because I don't believe we'll find anything to topple MK off his GOD TIER status. If we do, I doubt it'll be universal and only be limited to one character. In which case, that doesn't mean anything at all.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You give Ike's spacing ability too much credit.

Just because Ike can space doesn't mean Metaknight won't get in. There's so many possbilities for Metaknight to get in besides the mindless "leeroy jenkins" tactic that spacing can only get Ike so far.

The only thing Ike has is his F-air range, and power, which pales in comparison to Metaknight's massive numbers of quality and quantity advantages.

And I'm only pro-ban because I don't believe we'll find anything to topple MK off his GOD TIER status. If we do, I doubt it'll be universal and only be limited to one character. In which case, that doesn't mean anything at all.
I'd say I am giving Ike's spacing due credit, not too much of it. Meta Knight can surely get in, but Ike's Nair and Fair are highly good for keeping him out, kind of hard to deny that. Secondly, Ike's jab plus his new grab release to QD are great tools for telling Meta Knight to get out of Ike's face so he can resume a great spacing game. MK may have the quantity of advantages, but he lacks the quality of them.

And your reason for going pro ban isn't technically sound. You want to ban a character because he is really good? That doesn't sound like the best course of action to me.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Not because hes really good because hes too good.

Your reason for thinking Ike can do good against MK is the same reason people list for oli. Good range and can keep MK out of it but MK can still get in and once he is in Ike really doesn't have anything to get him out. Yah jab is great but it is nowhere near save unlike a lot of MKs moves.

Also tornado can be used on pretty much anymove of Ike's that gets shielded it is still a very good option. Plus no one has ever said tornado = broken.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'd say I am giving Ike's spacing due credit, not too much of it. Meta Knight can surely get in, but Ike's Nair and Fair are highly good for keeping him out, kind of hard to deny that. Secondly, Ike's jab plus his new grab release to QD are great tools for telling Meta Knight to get out of Ike's face so he can resume a great spacing game. MK may have the quantity of advantages, but he lacks the quality of them.
I will say that compared to most characters, Ike has a better chance against MK if he manages to be an excellent spacer. Out of my three mains, I'd pick Ike over Mario and Link against a MK anyday.

However, you're now undermining MK's usage, and I'm really beginning to wonder if you've actually played (or seen) how hard MK can **** a character. He can keep you in air, has reliable KO moves (especially D-Smash against Ike. That's basically a guaranteed KO if the % is high enough), he can gimp Ike to an oblivion, his aerial game beats Ike's jab game, and his running speed can get past the laggy F-air and grab, do that annoying D-throw (or F-throw) to put us in the air and have our way with us.

And all we got is... Oh hey, spacing! How come the Marths aren't doing this? Oh wait, they are.

The grab release does nothing if we can't grab them in the first place.

And your reason for going pro ban isn't technically sound. You want to ban a character because he is really good? That doesn't sound like the best course of action to me.
No, I'm pro-ban because for every character there is in the entire game, it's an uphill battle when going against a Metaknight. In which cases he breaks the counterpick system, which is essentially what allows you to win consistently at tournaments.

Alukard

Smash Hero
i didn't make it to the nyc weekly sumthing came up =[ sry dudes no ike vids yet ... next tourney i should tho =]

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Not because hes really good because hes too good.

Your reason for thinking Ike can do good against MK is the same reason people list for oli. Good range and can keep MK out of it but MK can still get in and once he is in Ike really doesn't have anything to get him out. Yah jab is great but it is nowhere near save unlike a lot of MKs moves.

Also tornado can be used on pretty much anymove of Ike's that gets shielded it is still a very good option. Plus no one has ever said tornado = broken.
The question of whether Meta Knight is "too good" is something I don't think should be decided this early. In fact, until late summer, everyone seemed to think Snake was the best in the game. At the moment, Meta Knight's most "intimidating" thing comes from the fact that he and Snake take up a fair bit of tourney main usage and that people might drop their main because of him. That sort of reasoning is Shoddy, as you should be playing the character you are actually good with, not the one that is considered the best.

From what I hear Olimar also does comparatively well against MK, but that's a completely different debate. In addition to good ground range, Ike also has great air range, something Olimar doesn't have. Ike's jab and grab may not be totally safe but they come out on what, Frames 3 and 7, respectively?

I don't think MK can punish shielded moves not called Quick Draw or Ike's Smashes with the Tornado. The star-up on it isn't instant, plus it takes time to react and drop the shield as well. MK has better ways to punish a whiffed QD or Smashes, naturally. Though in reality the only one of those moves he might possibly shield is Down Smash or QD, moves that are rather low in overall usage.

Edit:
However, you're now undermining MK's usage, and I'm really beginning to wonder if you've actually played (or seen) how hard MK can **** a character. He can keep you in air, has reliable KO moves (especially D-Smash against Ike. That's basically a guaranteed KO if the % is high enough), he can gimp Ike to an oblivion, his aerial game beats Ike's jab game, and his running speed can get past the laggy F-air and grab, do that annoying D-throw (or F-throw) to put us in the air and have our way with us.

And all we got is... Oh hey, spacing! How come the Marths aren't doing this? Oh wait, they are.

The grab release does nothing if we can't grab them in the first place.

No, I'm pro-ban because for every character there is in the entire game, it's an uphill battle when going against a Metaknight. In which cases he breaks the counterpick system, which is essentially what allows you to win consistently at tournaments.
I've certainly played an MK, and I actually was ***** (2 stocked) in the first few matches because Meta Knight left no room for thinking and just kept assaulting until I was off the stage. I wasn't used to the gimping game, I wasn't used to the Shuttle Loops and I most certainly wasn't used to the juggling. As time went on, however, I came to see just what Ike has on MK. By appropriately spacing himself, Ike should be able to hold his ground. As for MK's Down Smash killing, yeah, it kills early. But you're Ike, honestly. Ike has a range, priority and power advantage in this match, something that some characters would kill to have just one of.

And, on another note, what wins matches is not counterpicking or whatnot. Sure, it can help you here and there, say CPing Pikachu against a Fox or something, but the main things that will be winning you matches are SKILL and KNOWLEDGE, nothing else.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Some guy alucard was talking to me on AIM and I thought it was you alukard. So hard to discuss things in here because I have to discuss TMS set up right now.

edit: the heart of the smash community is counter picking. Its the way the competitive seen was built even CK knows that.

Oli doesn't have a good match up against MK thats just wishful thinking.

Also its not people might drop there mains its people are dropping there mains for him. He has no counters the people who say that MK has a 10% advantage on him are talking about the match up on paper with MK never messing up his camping but this doesn't happen.

A lot of people can predict Ikes jab because its the only thing he has at that range. Plus MK's range is inside of Ike's Fair and Ftilt but out side of his jab. Once in that range Ike can't do anything but hide behind his shield which MK has many ways to get around with all of his save upon shield moves.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've certainly played an MK, and I actually was ***** (2 stocked) in the first few matches because Meta Knight left no room for thinking and just kept assaulting until I was off the stage. I wasn't used to the gimping game, I wasn't used to the Shuttle Loops and I most certainly wasn't used to the juggling.
I had the same exact experience actually (2 stocked as well, consistently), and I was like "Duuuuuude, wtf!" :laugh:

YagamiLight said:
As time went on, however, I came to see just what Ike has on MK. By appropriately spacing himself, Ike should be able to hold his ground. As for MK's Down Smash killing, yeah, it kills early. But you're Ike, honestly. Ike has a range, priority and power advantage in this match, something that some characters would kill to have just one of.
I'd love it if Ike had speed, which he doesn't. This is essentially what kills our match-up against MK. Marth doesn't have the consistent power to beat MK, and that's pretty much why both characters can't go toe-to-toe against MK without expecting a loss at the end.

Ike (and Marth) has a better advantage against MK than most characters, but they're still not good advantages.

And, on another note, what wins matches is not counterpicking or whatnot. Sure, it can help you here and there, say CPing Pikachu against a Fox or something, but the main things that will be winning you matches are SKILL and KNOWLEDGE, nothing else.
Tell that to the Captain Falcons.

But seriously, I will agree that Skill and Knowledge > Counter-picking, but characters at the end of the day do apply some factor in the matches. Not as much, but it does allow top-skilled players to place top 3 consistently.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Marth actually does have good power his Tipper Fsmash kills MK at like 50% same with other tipper things that are pretty much what marth has to land to out range Mk. Marth also has a lot more speed which is much better than power.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Quite true.

But I'm sure MK wouldn't stay in tipper range the entire time, especially with the tipper smashes, which is why I said Marth doesn't have the consistent power to beat Metaknight.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I had the same exact experience actually (2 stocked as well, consistently), and I was like "Duuuuuude, wtf!" :laugh:
I find that most of Ike's match-ups are like that. You need more time than others to adjust and you need proper knowledge of the match. That's why I put so much effort into the match-up guide, Ike mainers need more than a simple three sentence blurb.

I'd love it if Ike had speed, which he doesn't. This is essentially what kills our match-up against MK. Marth doesn't have the consistent power to beat MK, and that's pretty much why both characters can't go toe-to-toe against MK without expecting a loss at the end.

Ike (and Marth) has a better advantage against MK than most characters, but they're still not good advantages.

You know as well as I do that Ike can be fast if he needs to. That said, he still isn't MK fast for sure. I would claim, however, that Ike gets a better time versus MK than Marth dues due to the consistent outranging, overpowering and Ike's weight is also a bonus.

But seriously, I will agree that Skill and Knowledge > Counter-picking, but characters at the end of the day do apply some factor in the matches. Not as much, but it does allow top-skilled players to place top 3 consistently.
I won't deny that a character having an advantageous match won't slightly affect the outcome, but 45-55s and 40-60s really don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. 30-70s are when skill and knowledge begin to wane, I'd argue.

On a final note I'm fairly sleepy, so I'll just answer any more points tomorrow. Say what you will about MK, Ike mainers are logical folk, which is why it's a pleasure to discuss anything with you guys.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You know as well as I do that Ike can be fast if he needs to. That said, he still isn't MK fast for sure. I would claim, however, that Ike gets a better time versus MK than Marth does due to the consistent outranging, overpowering and Ike's weight is also a bonus.

I won't deny that a character having an advantageous match won't slightly affect the outcome, but 45-55s and 40-60s really don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things. 30-70s are when skill and knowledge begin to wane, I'd argue.

On a final note I'm fairly sleepy, so I'll just answer any more points tomorrow. Say what you will about MK, Ike mainers are logical folk, which is why it's a pleasure to discuss anything with you guys.
Ike can't really be fast when he needs to like say when he is getting juggled by MK. I don't even know what you mean by that I know Ike can have a good pressure game sometimes that seems fast but thats just when you are punishing your opponent for mistakes he made.

Ike's weight isn't a bonus in this match up. Fast faller vs gimp king is not good. MK also has various combos and follow ups that work very well against heavy characters so him not dieing at a low percent like marth doesn't mean that he will last longer in the match.

Ike's out ranging is easily countered by being out sped. Like I said MK's range is between Ike's jab and his umm well lets call it tipper range as well. It's pretty much what happens with snake he has the advantage when he's got MK away from him with all his projectiles but once MK gets in his space he has nothing to get MK out.

Also 55-45 means that you have to work 10% harder than your opponent to bring the match up to a neutral. 60-40 means you have to work 40% harder not that you'll win 40 times out of 100 matches.

edit: going to bed as well.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I find that most of Ike's match-ups are like that. You need more time than others to adjust and you need proper knowledge of the match. That's why I put so much effort into the match-up guide, Ike mainers need more than a simple three sentence blurb.
Don't worry, I think everyone appreciates the time you put into the match-up guide.

You know as well as I do that Ike can be fast if he needs to. That said, he still isn't MK fast for sure. I would claim, however, that Ike gets a better time versus MK than Marth does due to the consistent outranging, overpowering and Ike's weight is also a bonus.
Ike is fast when he wants to be, but at the cost of limiting his moveset. The pro heavily outweights the con in most cases, but in this case, Ike just needs more speed in general. (seriously, why the crap did they make Ike slow when in his games he's clearly not? V_V)

I'm not a Marth main, so I can't say Ike does better than Marth with firm confidence, but I think the fact that the Ike rumor against MK flared up allows me to think so.

Good call. I'm actually two hours past my bedtime myself. (Screw college classes.)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The Ike has a good match up on MK is really just a rumor. There are plenty of things Ike can do against MK to keep him away for a while and limit some of his move set but the truth is once MK gets in a comfortable spot Ike has nothing to get him out of it.

Ike may have a good defensive game but MKs offense is like the best in the game. Pretty much how we find holes inside camping to get inside and destroy other characters MK can do the exact same thing times 10. Then when your off the stage you can kiss your *** good bye because at worse the MK will push you to far and wastes his jumps so he can't get back. Of course this shouldn't actually happen.

neon..?

Smash Journeyman
everyone that loses goes to metaknight right after and trys to tornado spam when they're such scrubby mk's and they actualy do good because ikes to big.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I lol'd at the last 70 or so posts...you guys are....strange.

P.S. My connection does NOT suck...it's all in your head Arturo :o

P.P.S. Lately I haven't been playing wifi as much...cause offline is SO much better xD But we can still play sometime if I have some time.

P.P.P.S. Metaknight is way too fun to play as...played around with him this weekend and that **** is ridiculous! Ban worthy? I still don't think so. But he's still WAY too awesome. It's like I can't lose. xD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike imo actually doesn't have it as bad as others against MK, if he's good at staying on stage. Ike does pretty well against MK, its just OFF STAGE Ike is doomed. If Ike has better recovery I'd say Ike would actually be pretty close to MK, still in his advantage though. Support QD going through people/items/projectiles!!

But besides the point, i'm only pro ban because I'm sick of everyone using MK. Hell the only reason I don't use MK is cause I'm not gonna become a hypocrite... <-- knows this is an invalid excuse.. blah ~_~

Maybe melee is the way to go...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Melee doesn't have Ike. =/

Ike's advantages highly depends on the stage too. If Shadow Moses and Bridge of Eldin was not banned, Ike may even be able to WRECK Metaknight, but they're banned.

The best Ike has is Pirate Ship (no gimping opportunities) and Corneria (easy kills for Ike). Otherwise Metaknight pretty much topples Ike on any other stage.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Shadow Moses Island, I believe Ike would have the... advantage (WTF?!?!?!) there until MK broke the walls down.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Limited to one character besides MK himself! Ike probably isn’t that guy. The spacing doesn’t help much in this matchup; MK got the ground speed and fast attacks needed to pierce Ike’s range. I’m not saying spacing is hopeless, but you should be awfully good at it to make a difference against MK offensive. And then there is the disadvantageous gimp and aerial game… No doubt you’ll need to be a better player than the one controlling MK by a large margin.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ike can't really be fast when he needs to like say when he is getting juggled by MK. I don't even know what you mean by that I know Ike can have a good pressure game sometimes that seems fast but thats just when you are punishing your opponent for mistakes he made.

Ike's weight isn't a bonus in this match up. Fast faller vs gimp king is not good. MK also has various combos and follow ups that work very well against heavy characters so him not dieing at a low percent like marth doesn't mean that he will last longer in the match.

Ike's out ranging is easily countered by being out sped. Like I said MK's range is between Ike's jab and his umm well lets call it tipper range as well. It's pretty much what happens with snake he has the advantage when he's got MK away from him with all his projectiles but once MK gets in his space he has nothing to get MK out.

Also 55-45 means that you have to work 10% harder than your opponent to bring the match up to a neutral. 60-40 means you have to work 40% harder not that you'll win 40 times out of 100 matches.

edit: going to bed as well.
By saying Ike can be fast if necessary, that just means that Ike can use his array of faster moves, and refrain from using the more sluggish options.

If Ike being outsped meant a counter, it would mean CFalcon and Sonic would do really well against him. Meta Knight's range is strictly inferior to Ike's on pretty much most counts. That said, in Mk v Snake, Snake has a worse time at close quarters than Ike does, and it's not like Meta Knight is heavily phased by Snake's projectiles regardless.

Don't worry, I think everyone appreciates the time you put into the match-up guide.

Glad to hear that :)
Ike is fast when he wants to be, but at the cost of limiting his moveset. The pro heavily outweights the con in most cases, but in this case, Ike just needs more speed in general. (seriously, why the crap did they make Ike slow when in his games he's clearly not? V_V)

Generally, limiting his moveset isn't much of an issue, there are a few characters whose movesets are full of poor moves (See: Jigglypuff, Dedede) while Ike's moveset is arguably very solid, even without some of the slower ones. In the MK case, yes, more speed would not hurt in the least. Does Ike need it? I would not say so.

I'm not a Marth main, so I can't say Ike does better than Marth with firm confidence, but I think the fact that the Ike rumor against MK flared up allows me to think so.

In the MK v Marth fight, Marth has to rely on slightly better power and slightly better range, while still being at a slight speed disadvantage. Ike is at a pretty large speed disadvantage, but I think he really does make up for it with colossal range and power.

I don't know what I'd rate the Ike v MK match-up, it actually does depend on the stage. It's not in Ike's favor, I'll tell you that much. :laugh:

I'm not fond of numbers, as you all know.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
CK that is even dumber than don't get grabbed just stay out of this you have no idea what this discussion involves.

Kirk your connection freezes every 2 minutes but I just remembered that was the collage Internet so meh.

By saying Ike can be fast if necessary, that just means that Ike can use his array of faster moves, and refrain from using the more sluggish options.

If Ike being outsped meant a counter, it would mean CFalcon and Sonic would do really well against him. Meta Knight's range is strictly inferior to Ike's on pretty much most counts. That said, in Mk v Snake, Snake has a worse time at close quarters than Ike does, and it's not like Meta Knight is heavily phased by Snake's projectiles regardless.

I don't know what I'd rate the Ike v MK match-up, it actually does depend on the stage. It's not in Ike's favor, I'll tell you that much. :laugh:

I'm not fond of numbers, as you all know.
Well first off Sonic has a neutral match up against Ike. No one in either boards should disagree with this since there where like 20 pages of the tier list discussion dedicated to this.

Ike's fast moves don't work in this match up. I already told you that MK's spacing will put him inside of his slow moves and out side of Ikes jab. Besides fast moves are pretty much the ones that are under average human reaction time which would be Bair and jab nothing else. Utilt and Dsmash are right above it so you could count those a bit but they aren't exactly great moves to be using to get people away from you.

When I was talking about speed I didn't just mean he moves fast I meant that he has attack and running/aerial speed. In this sense MK has more speed than sonic and defiantly more speed than MK.

If you want to keep argueing that this means sonic would still have an advantage on Ike MK has more things on top of speed. His moves are exactly low priority and I'm pretty sure that a lot of them are at Ike's level. His hurt box also comes out a lot faster than Ike which means that there is little chance of this actually taking affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom