• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I also LOVE it when Lucario takes me to Jungle Jank. I get a good lead, then fly to the top of the stage and dair....dair....dair....dair....umm....dair....dair....xD

then hit the ground with b-reversals and refuel

then up up and away

and dair....dair....dair....dair....until it times out.

I have never lost this way...

I don't prefer this method, and never cp anyone there...but if they try to jank me on jungle jank, I will surely jank them right back.

I'm sure you can do this to DK too. I've done it to Kirby
thats a method and a half, they cant approach really XD
though i said taknig him to halberd would be a good idea, he has nothing in the way of vertical killers, plus it has a tiny blastzone
small blastzone=earlier kills=weaker lucario
japes however has large blastzones
large blastzone=later kills=beefy lucario

Steam

Smash Hero
I also LOVE it when Lucario takes me to Jungle Jank. I get a good lead, then fly to the top of the stage and dair....dair....dair....dair....umm....dair....dair....xD

then up up and away

I don't prefer this method, and never cp anyone there...but if they try to jank me on jungle jank, I will surely jank them right back.

*charges Aura sphere*

*shoots it where I think you'll B-reverse to*

50-50 shot at like 20% damage cool.

when lucario is at low %s you **** him. if lucario is trying to fair a lot just fair him because at worst they will trade and your fair does more damage basically always. fair and ftilt in general kinda **** lucario's approach options. the only thing luc has that really beats fair is a well placed bair to hit rob's base. If lucario dairs your shield ANGLE YOUR SHIELD UP so you won't get poked. also Lucario can only rising dair in hitstun or shieldstun.

IMO your best kill move in this matchup is bair since it kinda bones lucario offstage. it's also pretty safe on luc in general (however he can punish it on the ground and maybe in the air with double team so don't be too predictable) Also something to keep in mind, lucario has transcendent priority on all aura hitboxes (meaning the blue fire itself)

overall you wall off lucario very well but he is very good at abusing your blindspots with his disjointed hitboxes. This coupled with the fact that you'll generall have a hard time killing means lucario can do tons of damage in a hurry (Against Bees I quite often put 80% on him in no more than 5 seconds)

also be wary of Fsmash when landing. it lingers for 8 frames so airdodging won't save you if he times it right.

for CPs take him to RC if you can. you can camp him really hard on japes so either ban BF or brinstar if you really hate brinstar.

I'd put it at 50:50

Rob Generally has an edge but lucario has the tools to punish rob REALLY hard when he gets in especially when he has aura behind him. IMO an extremely even matchup.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I'm not too sold on taking Luc to Halberd. It makes his Utilt a kill move in a sense. Granted, Nair becomes our main kill move but because it's Nair, it won't be as fresh. Plus it gives Luc more options when recovering by sharking the platform. If we gyro it hits him and he gets his Up-B back, so it's kinda difficult IMO. If legal, how would Picto fare as a CP?

And I'd say 55:45 Lucario because of the aura. If we get a gimp in the match however, I could see that possibly becoming the other way around.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Picto's high ceiling would worry me, that means he's tougher to kill/last longer in higher percents. Plus not a lot of off the stage space, I would say meh to CPing there. I would much rather take him to halberd.

Steam

Smash Hero
you really shouldn't be gimping lucario unless the lucario DI's poorly or you get reaaaaally lucky.

halberd is okay vs. lucario but I think you could have better CPs out there

Picto is considered to be a good lucario CP vs. Rob. A lot of lucarios like it.

Bees!

Smash Ace

then up up and away

I must try this sometime. It sounds amazing...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
to be honest, as r.o.b i'd even take him to frigate, i stage i know they tend to like (when im using ike anyway) because when recoverying on the ledgeless side they will obviously go for the wall cling, but that makes it quite easy for r.o.b to continue battering him

Steam

Smash Hero
I must try this sometime. It sounds amazing...
This won't work against lucario's with a brain >.>

plus you know putting yourself above just about anyone is a bad idea >.>

Yeah I can see RoB doing very well on frigate vs. lucario. It is kinda cramped though which helps us.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
It really does work, I've seen him do it. He gets so high that no one can reach him and stalls with Dair, land>refuel>repeat. Don't take Mr Eric to japes lol.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This won't work against lucario's with a brain >.>

plus you know putting yourself above just about anyone is a bad idea >.>

Yeah I can see RoB doing very well on frigate vs. lucario. It is kinda cramped though which helps us.
I will MM any price in the world on this stage<3
Remember, I can save spurts of fuel ;3

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'd never take rob there because he camps really really hard there.

the people you play need to get better then... that really shouldn't be working.
You can't assume something won't work unless you put it into practice.

I really don't think Fonz is bad and it's worked on him before too.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
How well does ROB do on PS1?

I'm having t0mmy troubles (yes, he's back, and he's taking games off of J3m+F3lix (anti-namesearch) :\

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yeah t0mmy is the best rob tbqh. at least he gets the best results. idk /salt he is still **** good though.

ROB does fine on PS1 actually. its really easy to get uairs there. i guess small blastzones kind of mitigate robs recovery adv. but its brawl so every character can recover anyway. its not like we would ever really CP it because its not especially good but there is really nothing there that hurts rob at all. we can **** the windmill and the rock. the other 2 are non consequential

Steam

Smash Hero
You can't assume something won't work unless you put it into practice.

I really don't think Fonz is bad and it's worked on him before too.
I'm going to try it this weekend vs. bees.

but if it works on japes vs. lucario there's no reason it can't work on every stage.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Japes has a really high ceiling, ROB can just escape up and stall, plus the stage isn't forgiving to land on if your char has a bad recovery. It's really lame though lol.

Steam

Smash Hero
the ceiling hight doesn't change anything... RoB can't upB himself to death. it's just more risky on the other stages.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
see, the problem is that when i fly to the top of japes, i DONT lose %. the ceiling is so high.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
the ceiling hight doesn't change anything... RoB can't upB himself to death. it's just more risky on the other stages.
Aaaaaaaaactually. You can.

Lol but of course that'll never happen. It can really only happen on the Ice Climbers stage.

Maybe Pirate Ship

Steam

Smash Hero
you can? :/ so waft isn't the only move I guess lol.

but as long as it usually isn't an issue you should still be able to do it on most stages.

Hmm, it can add up but if you have a big enough lead that % shouldn't matter much. I'll still have bees try it out on me. If it works like you say it does this could actually be something that RoB can really abuse to time lucario out.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
i dont think thats true...
It definitely is. Go to mini brawl, choose ROB, and go to that Icicle mountain stage. When it's sliding down and gravity is lowered, use all your gas to go up and keep dairing. ROB goes up when he dairs while mini and in low gravity. He will actually kill himself at one point.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
haha, yeah, doing this tactics wont owrk on characters with high vertical projectiles, so pit, pikachu and snake. also ness and lucas may be able to reach you.
but it will work on lucario XD.
and falco for that matter, this stage may be good agaisnt falco yet!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah we are >.<
anyway, this matchup is pretty much even, we can outcamp them, but they can probably juggle us quite competently

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah we are >.<
anyway, this matchup is pretty much even, we can outcamp them, but they can probably juggle us quite competently
yeah if we're any sort of beneath you we can juggle you verry well. our bair also outspaces your fair at that angle. and also if you air dodge our Uair you give us a free dair.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Doesn't matter. Rainbow cruise moves but you can stay over everything if you have the fuel for it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
not during the horizontal scrolling parts dude. summit moves horizontal. during vertical sure. except when it moves down ofc

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It'll happen at any point, not just when it's moving a certain way.

In fact, I just remembered. I've done this on picto. Just try it lol

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Maybe I'm just looking forward to the :gw: discussion too much but haven't we been doing Lucario for a while now?

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
onto G&W...
no uk G&W's, cant help here
I thought kaak was over there?

Well if we're moving on I'll get a write up down here shortly. ;3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I see this as even to slight ROB advantage.

Ftilt angled properly will beat out GW aerials when he tries to approach, but watch for him trying to bait the ftilt.

If he commits to a bair there is a small window where you can fsmash through it. A well spaced nair will also beat it out. If it hits SDI up and toward GW and smack him with a fair.

Nair you need to DI up and away and try and get away from it. He can follow it up with a DJ nair or upb and depending on the height and where he is in the animation he can FF and sh nair again.

Dair can be tricky, if he goes to hit you with it you can shield it but watch out since it has a landing hitbox as well. If he uses it from too high you can usmash him out of it, but the timing it pretty strict if he doesn't slowfall it. Alternatively get out from under it and fair, bair, nair or ftilt. This will spike at the very beginning but it isn't a strong spike nor does it see much use.

His fair can kill so watch for it offstage and near the edges. Fresh and sweetspotted it will do a whopping 16%. It also has a sex kick. If he sh fairs you should be punishing the endlag. FH fair won't have the lag on it however.

Uair will be used to keep you above him so he can juggle you some more and refresh his other moves. He can't exploit it quite as well since we don't go into free fall. The second hit on it can kill around 140(I think?) and it comes out pretty quick.

His ground game gets ignored for the most part but it isn't that bad really. Ftilt kills around 140 at the edge, utilt sets you up for juggling, dtilt is quick and has good range. Jab is also a quick move and he can cancel into a grab, which sets up a tech chase or juggling. His smashes have long startups but watch out for him charging them. Trying to combat a charging smash usually ends badly since his smashes release quite fast (Usmash releases in 2 frames and it will kill you around 80 with some charge). His fsmash lingers and will punish spotdodges as well as killing at about 100. Dsmash will kill about about 90 if sweetspotted (at the tip of the hammers) and has a bit of a nasty angle if sourspotted but can still kill around 140.

Watch spacing on his shield if you're too close he can upb OoS and hit you and if you are spaced he can upb away pretty safely. Other things I would watch out for OoS are shfair to kill or gain space, nair, or a dtilt.

Judge shouldn't be too much of a threat with its long startup but if they manage to land a 9 it will kill extremely early. They can dash off a ledge and use judge and gain a boost with it, same with chef. On that note watch out for chef. I see that most people write it off as a terrible move but the food itself has really high hitstun. The slow movement lets them get in to smash you during it if you allow it to hit.

Bucket Braking makes this guy live longer than he should and makes lasering them near the blastzone useless since they'll just get a bucket out of it. He can have some real issues killing if you camp well enough once you reach kill percent since he doesn't have any set up at all, however if he grabs the gyro his glidetoss is long and will more than likely be followed up by a smash.

Offstage both characters can hassle each other, keep in mind that upb has a windbox on it and a few frames of invincibility. He can also attack out of it. If you grab him out of his upb and don't pummel he will fall to his death.

And thats all I have for now...

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I think Kaak lives in Netherlands and is currently Europe's best Mr. Game and Watch.

Well, G&W can kill us pretty fast, because all of his smashes send you vertical. This used to be a bad MU but G&W is still a pretty hard MU with juggling us and followups from his D-throw. But pretty much anything Cubone said actually.

The ratio is 40:60 R.O.B..

Top Bottom