• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

TheMike

Smash Lord
Wario was already discussed, I just didn't add the matchup to the OP yet. Feel free to give your input, I've got no objections.

N3xU5

Smash Apprentice
yoo beef and dude u diont fuggin live an hour from me your 20 mins downtown la is 20 mins form the valley/van nuys stoopid

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Hmmm, Looks like we need to get things up and running here again.

Anyone else got any more imput for pikachu? If not, I think we should move onto olimar I guess. Gotta keep this thread alive or else it'll never get finished xD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Never played against Pikachu with Rob. Cannot input anything outside of theory crafting.
Let's assume scrub logic: SideB can reflect thunder so we win 70-30. Case solved xD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is not a single player in Finland who even plays Pikachu for the lulz. He is literally nonexistant.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Isn't Finland in like the north pole moon?
Corrected. ;)

But I think we move on to Olimar now. I have little experience against him, so I hope this helps:

When Olimar throws Pikmins at you, don't try to reflect them back for obvious reasons. The Up-tilt really help you to kill the Pikmins fast and kills every Pikmin type.

The gyro is an excellent tool to use. It's called "The Pikmin Slayer" for one reason. It kills Pikmins! It's a really good stage controller and limits Olimar's Pikmin approaches. The more charged it is; the more it bounces and the longer it spins, which is great because Pikmins will touch it more often instead of hitting R.O.B..

And when Olimar approaches you, they want 90 % of the time grab you and start a follow up, which can end up into several juggles (especially the yellow ones). So try to D-tilt him whenever you can to interrupt his grabs (hopefully). Never get aggresive to Olimar, it will end up getting shield grabbed or juggled. Try instead to camp him, and when he will be forced to attack you, try to grab him and start a successful gimp.

Avoid stages with stone floors like Battlefield because the Purple Pikmins increase there and the platform pressure Olimar has. Beacuse of their impressive killing power and moves (can kill you at 80 % with Up-smash, other moves is dangerous too, like Up-throw or F-smash, which send you vertically). Purple Pikmins are so annoying beacuse they make you flinch when throwed, and are excellent edge guarders which makes it somewhat hard to gimp Olimar. Yellow Pikmins are good jugglers and are also very disjointed like other electric attacks. Red Pikmins are resistent against our Nair, Bair, Up-smash, Laser (when close) and Dair. Blue and White Pikmins aren't that bad when you compare to the other Pikmins.

Always counterpick big stages or stages with water. Camping in this MU is the key (Lasers can go through the Pikmins)! Make him force you! I would suggest stages like Final Destination, Delfino Plaza or Frigate Orpheon. Our best stage CS works to, but beware at the second transformation; the Pikmins can go through the statues and Olimar can get early KOs with Blue Pikmins.

I think it was all, but I haven't played any Olimar for a long time now, so take my information with a grain of salt (for example this with camping)... Should you camp? =O

But do Pikmins get stronger when they have a flower on their's head aka sprout? Or is it just a fun trivia?

Anyways, I would say this MU is R.O.B. 45:55 because we can camp him, kill Pikmins fairly easy and gimp him. But Olimar can kill us fairly easy, Pikmin camp and juggle us to death. We are a huge, floaty target after all. And btw, when Olimar steals our Gyro, then it's he who can outcamp us. Olimar is also hard to hit, being a small target.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
welll, if we really are moving onto olimar, this is a matchup i have exp in. one.. campy ROB gets ***** by Olimar. seriously, go aggro, but don't be stupid about it, cause you will get grabbed and then comboed. watch what order his pikmin are. if he has a purple at the front of the line, try not to approach recklessly, because purple uthrows/usmashes will kill fairly early. get olimar in the air, and juggle him. he gets ***** in the air, bait the airdodge, and nair him or uair him to send him up again for more ariels. Oli will try to whistle guard as well... it is terribly annoying because when trying to gimp he will whistle through a bair and make it back cause he is annoying. also when trying to edge guard fair/bair (If not whistled the first time) usually work well, then just grab the ledge and his pikmin chain won't aim for the ledge and he will fall head first to his death. when he pikmin tosses at you, kill the pikmin ASAP, especially whites. they do like 6 dmg a second or something dumb like that. ftilt is your bff in this matchup, it knocks away pikmin before they latch and ftilting oli is fun because it outranges all of his stuff. utilt is good for knocking pikmin off. as i said before, juggling is key.

stages to take him to - cruise if you like it especially the second part, FD, Frigate(no ledge messes him up), Japes if legal because the huge ceiling will allow you to live longer/ROBcan kill off the sides better than Oli, SV is alright

Stages to ban - BF due to platform pressure, Delfino, platform pressure/pluck rate... all the diff types of terrain make it easier for oli to get blues/purps/yellows which are probably the best overall.

yellows are weird... they go through stages.... it's dumb
Purpple upsmash is really really weird and like super disjointed and ***** everything
blues have a very very long grab range and have lotsa throw power
pkimin can grab down hills, like the transformations in PS1 are the ones i'm thinking of...
white upsmash has enough hitstun to lead into anything olimar pleases

pikmin don't get stronger with the flowers

correct me if i'm wrong on anything, i odn't think i am since i play Hilt on the reg.

**hooray for first post with actual meaning**

TheMike

Smash Lord
We can move on. Unfortunately and once again, I won't update the OP now, but am preparing a huge update. BTW, the Olimar boards are discussing ROB.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
We can move on. Unfortunately and once again, I won't update the OP now, but am preparing a huge update. BTW, the Olimar boards are discussing ROB.
Would it be possible to get a link, per character, to where every discussion begins? for those of us who might want to read thread by thread what everyone has said, instead of just reading the tl;dr version on the op?

just a suggestion :)

EDIT: i didn't realize there were links in the OP. kindly forget i said anything :3

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
yoo beef and dude u diont fuggin live an hour from me your 20 mins downtown la is 20 mins form the valley/van nuys stoopid
Gah alrught I'll believe you there broskey. But 40 minutes is still a hassle to pursue.
I'll just see you at the next SoCal tournament, whenever the h*** that'll be. There's been a two month decline in tournaments here as you already know. :/

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Only thing I know about Olimar is that he is ****ing annoying >_>
I wish I could be of help.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Only thing I know about Olimar is that he is ****ing annoying >_>
I wish I could be of help.
He's just one of those naturally gay characters because it's as hard as hell to approach him. I think the camping game goes even or Olimar's advantage 55:45. We just need to get him off the ground, into the air, or even better, offstage.

Bees!

Smash Ace
First off I think this has been established but I will say it anyways...ROB gets outcamped horribly. In the time it takes to shoot 1 laser you will have multiple pikmin on you. Learning to knock off pikmin immediately is a must. Gyro is really good in this MU. If aimed directly it can disrupt the flow of pikmin and bounce off of them and kill them. Also dtilt is godly vs Olimar as it gets out of his grabs and knocks off most pikmin(use utilt for the ones it doesn't knock off. Also depending on who the Olimar is...you might not want to take them to Rainbow Cruise...or Fino's Cruise for that matter. Also if Japes is legal it will probably be banned. Frigate is a very good choice obviously. Also planking is a little harder vs Olimar because of his smashes and grabs. best chance is get him offstage and gimp him. (which is hard to do because Oli's are good at not getting gimped and ROB has slow aerials that can be whistled through)
55-45 Oli in my opinion.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Let's wait for Tin Man to write some information first.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rob doesn't really have any moves that are good at taking off the latched pikmin. They are either too slow or aren't reliable or so on. We gonna get that damage.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Rob doesn't really have any moves that are good at taking off the latched pikmin. They are either too slow or aren't reliable or so on. We gonna get that damage.
Utilt. Not only does utilt knock them off easily, it sends them flying in the air. Pikmin can't return to Olimar until they're on the ground, so you add a lot of work to Olimar's job, because he has to whistle before he even wants to use a move. Go on ahead and add 18 frames every time Olimar wants to attack, what a pain.
Not only that, but the Olimar might see that he only has two pikmin and try to pluck some more, but 4 of them are flying in the air unusable, and he blannk plucks. That animation lasts FOREVER, you can easily punish Olimar if he does it.

Let's wait for Tin Man to write some information first.
Nvrm, disregard my post. If you guys rely on people like Tinman... it's pointless <.<

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Olimar wins because he can outcamp ROB

Aggro Olimar < ROB
Campy Patient Olimar > ROB

simple as that

Doesn't listen to trollTROLLtrollFino

Bees!

Smash Ace
This is an unwinable match-up. Rob always wins. Ask any Olimar :(

**** Rob
<3
lol [o o]

That's impossible. He has no mouth. Clearly your information is wrong.
^that :laugh::laugh:

Utilt. Not only does utilt knock them off easily, it sends them flying in the air. Pikmin can't return to Olimar until they're on the ground, so you add a lot of work to Olimar's job, because he has to whistle before he even wants to use a move. Go on ahead and add 18 frames every time Olimar wants to attack, what a pain.
Not only that, but the Olimar might see that he only has two pikmin and try to pluck some more, but 4 of them are flying in the air unusable, and he blannk plucks. That animation lasts FOREVER, you can easily punish Olimar if he does it.
also dtilt gets them off of ROB and breaks up grabass attempts by pikmin on behalf of homolimar.
also I cannot stress this enough...proper gyro placement shreds pikmin very effectively. If placed properly you can kill a multitude of pikmin by bouncing it off of them.

Hmm, nuff said

If anyone's played me they know I'm a campy *** motha****er ;o
very...>.> XD

I honestly think that this MU isn't that bad...Its just that you have to know a lot about olimar in addition to knowing the MU. But really its not even near a disadvantage.
55-45 <-I am sticking by that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And the thing is that Oli doesn't need priority. When you hit the pikmin it causes stupid lag and he can just throw another pikmin. But I find Olimar to be the perfectly balance character. Overpowered groundgame that is perfectly balanced by mediocre airgame and horrible recovery.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I can actually see R.O.B. as the most balanced character, don't gonna lie.

Bees!

Smash Ace
And the thing is that Oli doesn't need priority. When you hit the pikmin it causes stupid lag and he can just throw another pikmin. But I find Olimar to be the perfectly balance character. Overpowered groundgame that is perfectly balanced by mediocre airgame and horrible recovery.
Also if you try to kill Olimar and hit pikmin with the killmove in addition to lag it can stale your move before it hits Oli and allow him to survive a potential kill move

Top Bottom