• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Smash University! Smash 64 Discussion

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace

Mississippi Smash University
The above title is a link to the event!

SSB64 Tournament will happen!

$500 (+entry fees) Guaranteed Pot!

When: October 1, 2011 - October 2, 2011
What: Major Super Smash Brothers Tournament
Where: Mississippi State University

Venue Fee: $20 for the whole weekend
SSB64 Entry Fee: $20

Payouts:
Less than 25 competitors = 60/30/10
More than 25 competitors = 45/25/15/10/5
**Payouts are subject to change at anytime before August 1

SSB64 Rules

-5 stock (10 minute time limit on Hyrule)
-Matches will be best out of 3
-Winners' Finals, Losers' Final's, and Grand Finals are best out of 5
-Pools, then Double Elimination
-Stalling will result in a warning and then a Disqualification

Maps
First game must be on Hyrule
Counterpicks: Hyrule, Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle
SSB DSR: You can't counterpick with a stage you have already won on
During Winners', Losers', or Grand Finals the DSR does not apply to the win from the first game.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser picks stage first, then winner picks character, then loser picks character (in that order)

Any questions on housing, transportation, or etc... can be answered at MSU's thread located here.

This is going to be a SSB64 tournament of epic proportions! Be prepared for awesomeness! I'm looking to pull in 32+ for SSB64. You're not going to want to miss this event! Let me know who is interested on coming in here, and any other such thoughts!

Attendees/Interested

Confirmed
Moogle
Talon
Myztek
Armada
Chef
xx0EleMenT0xx
TheReflexWonder
Blaise
LlamaSensei (me)
DaBomb

Interest
Isai
NovaSmash
SuPeRbOoM
Xaltis
Tommy G
Battlecow

malva00

Smash Master
I might be going to this because of the guaranteed $500 in the pot that is on top of all the entry fees

Armada

Smash Lord
I like smash64.
If not this is exactly during melee singels/Teams i wanna play this to =).

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I like smash64.
If not this is exactly during melee singels/Teams i wanna play this to =).
I'm going to try to work with Winnar on times during his next tournament on Feb. 5. We'll come up with a schedule then. I want to put it during Melee doubles or Brawl doubles. Because I'll be running this so I won't get to play whatever is running at the same time.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm going to try to work with Winnar on times during his next tournament on Feb. 5. We'll come up with a schedule then. I want to put it during Melee doubles or Brawl doubles. Because I'll be running this so I won't get to play whatever is running at the same time.
Actually I will probably help you run this as best as I can, or at least help out in whatever way you might need.

I was thinking we would do this during Brawl doubles because right now it seems like we are going to have more people for melee than brawl, so we might have an easier time with setups and stuff?

We'll talk about it this weekend when I'm at the VUE

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Could you record the matches for those who can not go (Me), and say where the matches are gonna be uploaded?

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Could you record the matches for those who can not go (Me), and say where the matches are gonna be uploaded?
I will definitely see what we can do! I'll make sure to talk to Winnar about that. I might actually already have the tools to pull that off. And I'd probably upload them to my youtube profile.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Put me on the maybe list. I have relatives in Mississipi... Jackson, granted, but it might still be possible.

Depends on how many people come, really.

Money's not an issue, given how awesome a large, live 64 tourney would be... The hard part would be convincing my folks to let me take the Amtrak down there.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Put me on the maybe list. I have relatives in Mississipi... Jackson, granted, but it might still be possible.

Depends on how many people come, really.

Money's not an issue, given how awesome a large, live 64 tourney would be... The hard part would be convincing my folks to let me take the Amtrak down there.
Right now we just need some serious 64 players to commit and people will come. Moogle's coming and he's pretty baller, but we need more awesomeness. :)

malva00

Smash Master
what day is the tourney?

I think the tourney got moved to the first weekend around october 1st according to the main thread

I still wanna know what day for ssb (saturday or sunday)

Battlecow

Play to Win
If Isai and boom don't come, I have a real shot at some of that money lol.

It's, uh, on the day you can't come, Isai.

The Star King

Smash Hero
If Battlecow has the slightest chance of winning, I'll be sure to make it to this to make sure he doesn't. I'll do whatever it takes. I would sacrifice a nation to make sure Battlecow doesn't win. He's on high alert for a Russo-Korean for a good reason.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Eh. I didn't say "win." I doubt I can get my console game totally whipped into shape by then, and Armada beats King Funk, who's somewhat better than me (at least in 6 frames). I think I do have a shot at like 2nd or 3rd if none of you guys come though, which gets me a nice juicy chunk of that $500+. Moogle and Myztek oughtta be maaaaaaaaaaaad rusty. Think about it- 10 guys come, I get 2nd, that's $210 bucks. I split gas with Fynal and Miyagi, and it's worth the trip down there just for that alone- plus bragging rights and hilarious awesome good console times.

Also- is there gonna be teams? I kick *** in console teams when I'm playing with my champaign buddies.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It's pretty appealing until you take into account the cost of traveling these days. Then tourney fees and housing fees.

Orlando to Memphis plane tickets are $370 lol.

So if you get 1st you might get your money back. Pretty good for a ssb64 tourney I guess.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just drive. It's 11 hours- grab a bro or two and split it up, have a good time on the road, it'll go fast.

Erm, I mean, don't go. It'll be a waste of money.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Lol I almost forgot about this thread

Mississippi Smash University has been pushed back to October 1-2. Smash 64 is happening on Saturday (October 1)

Also Sheer, we're doing our best to secure airline discounts and hotel discounts :D

Also also, we have just begun planning a lecture series where top players can spend 20 minutes or so teaching people about their game or character. I can see it being a very good way to net some Smash 64 interest :D

This lecture series will be set up similarly to how panels at anime conventions are done.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
SWEET. I plan on coming to this with the bama crew. Boom and Sheer and all you other online punks should come. It'd be cool to play y'all on console and actually MEET you after 6 or so years.

:phone:

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Just drive. It's 11 hours- grab a bro or two and split it up, have a good time on the road, it'll go fast.

Erm, I mean, don't go. It'll be a waste of money.

I think BC really wants a shot at that money lol. Anyways, Myztek isn't too rusty as of now. And Moogle still rips me apart with his Puff (not that that's sayin much since I'm not actually very good.) :awesome:

Battlecow

Play to Win
No console-only player can take the mighty BATTLECOW. I honed my fangs on the iron whetstone of Kaillera. These old-school-fools can't possibly stop me.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I MAY go. Some other Orlando smashers have expressed interest so it's looking like a possibility. All talk right now though. And I hate long drives so an 11 hour drive would suck ***.

Top Bottom