• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/04/10 - WATO12 -Western Airlines Travel Occidentally -Feat M2K and Money Drama!!!

Frames

DI
Hey. Where does the $5 doorfee go to?
Probably hungrybox's pocket...oh wellz.

Anyways,

This was really fun, I had a great time, it was good for the first biweekly, hopefully we can make these a regular thing (see you again in 2 weeks??). Thanks a bunch to hungrybox for hosting. Also thanks to Finch for teaming with me :)

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
yooo, listen to me, MY CONTROLLER WAS IN HBOX'S ROOM WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!!!! I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE ROOM, SOMEONE MUST HAVE CAME IN AND TOOK IT CUZ THE DORR WAS CLOSED! WHO TOOK MY CONTROLLER!!!! FINCH CAN YOU CHECK, I SAW YOU COMING IN WHEN I WAS SLEEPING. GARY, DANNY, AND ERIC, CAN YOU GUYS CHECK TO SEE IF YOU GUYS HAVE IT, ESPECIALLY DANNY, CUZ I SAW YOU IN THE ROOM.

SOMEONE TOOK IT, IT DIDNT MAGICALLY DISAPPEAR.

and to LAIJIN,

uh, every single house tourney ive been to has a door fee. But then all of the pot money goes to the smashers. Have you not been to house tournies before. the door fee goes to the hosts pockets, for him letting us use his house as a venue. And i mean every house tourney ive been to had a door fee.

-hiro

vericz

Smash Champion
yooo, listen to me, MY CONTROLLER WAS IN HBOX'S ROOM WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!!!! I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE ROOM, SOMEONE MUST HAVE CAME IN AND TOOK IT CUZ THE DORR WAS CLOSED! WHO TOOK MY CONTROLLER!!!! FINCH CAN YOU CHECK, I SAW YOU COMING IN WHEN I WAS SLEEPING. GARY, DANNY, AND ERIC, CAN YOU GUYS CHECK TO SEE IF YOU GUYS HAVE IT, ESPECIALLY DANNY, CUZ I SAW YOU IN THE ROOM.

and to LAIJIN,

uh, every single house tourney ive been to has a door fee. But then all of the pot money goes to the smashers. Have you not been to house tournies before. the door fee goes to the hosts pockets, for him letting us use his house as a venue. And i mean every house tourney ive been to had a door fee.

-hiro
I dont got it but ill check with gary and danny

Finch

Smash Lord
Hiro- I doubt I have it since I just grabbed my backpack and left but I'll check.

hbox- I'm don't know if I'm leaving orlando tonight or tomorrow, but if I'm leaving tonight I'm gonna leave my cube with you. Please take care of it for me.

This was a lot of fun. Thanks to hbox for being cool about changing the singles fee and being an awesome host. Keep doing these and more people will definitely go especially when school starts. Frames thanks for teaming with me. Melee is too fun.

Toneh

Smash Lord
yea keep singles fees low ($5-10) so it can be more about having a smash fest, allow more people to come out, and practicing for the big tournies :)
If it becomes to high i wont be able to make it to every brawl one

Frames

DI
don't do brawl tournaments!!!

lol

and keep it 5 dollars hbox, you ended up winning anyway so (singles + doorfeee = not a bad bit of money for TWELVE people lol)

Finch

Smash Lord
Don't do brawl. More people will come if you keep doing melee and we keep posting about how fun these are when we do melee. After brawl tournys people just ***** about how gay the game is.

Laijin

Smash Hero
and to LAIJIN,

-hiro
Seems to me like thats just a Florida thing(I remember Xif's tournament did the same thing). Most house tournaments i've been to in GA had no doorfee at all because the tournament hosts cared a lot about allowing the community to grow. And if there WAS a doorfee, all of it went to buying food for everyone.

Doorfees are usually for paying venue fees, not pocketing the money. I know its his house and all, but I just think if he wanted to support the community more, he should'nt charge doorfees. And if he does, he should spend all the money on buying everyone food and not pocketing it all and being greedy.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
Seems to me like thats just a Florida thing(I remember Xif's tournament did the same thing). Most house tournaments i've been to in GA had no doorfee at all because the tournament hosts cared a lot about allowing the community to grow. And if there WAS a doorfee, all of it went to buying food for everyone.

Doorfees are usually for paying venue fees, not pocketing the money. I know its his house and all, but I just think if he wanted to support the community more, he should'nt charge doorfees. And if he does, he should spend all the money on buying everyone food and not pocketing it all and being greedy.
or he could just not host anything and then we're short a venue and short a potential melee/brawl gathering. its only 5 bucks for door fee, and the rest of the money all goes to pot. wheres the problem?

-hiro

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
or he could just not host anything and then we're short a venue and short a potential melee/brawl gathering. its only 5 bucks for door fee, and the rest of the money all goes to pot. wheres the problem?

-hiro
You don't take money from people for yourselves at tourneys.

Thats just as bad as taking money out of the pot.

If I held melee tourneys, and I had a 5 dollar door fee, and every person in your crew came, would be you be happy knowing that instead of using that money to help buy food and stuff, I'm stuffing it in my pocket?

I don't think so.

I may be complaining, but its just annoying to see somebody be able to profit off of tourneys like this. Placing is one thing.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
I bought food the last time i had a biweekly.

I didn't charge half the people for door fee.

Quit johning, if everyone else can do a door fee why can't I?

BTW, I lowered the price of singles from 15 to 10 and then to $5

Twilight showdown 6 - door fee went to.....food?

No.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
But not with the door fee money. You charged seperate money for that.

You can, but do something with it other than keep it for yourself. Door fees are meant for paying for a venue and helping people get food, or other stuff, not to profit off of.

Exactly why TS failed. Because the TO kept the money for himself and nobody liked that. Same thing happened with maverick, he took money out of the pot and everybody hated him after that.

Just profit off of the tourney by placing. Shouldn't that be enough?

Laijin

Smash Hero

I didn't charge half the people for door fee.

BTW, I lowered the price of singles from 15 to 10 and then to $5

No.
Your charging doorfees because everyone else does it?
Thats pretty lame dude.
As far as I know, everyone dislikes Maverick because he is pretty greedy(I think hes cool cause he taught me how to DI 4 years ago. lol).

Like I said, its just Florida in general(in comparrison to GA) that seems to have doorfees in which the person running the tournament profits from it.

Hiroshi, doorfees in general discourage people from coming to a tournament(Especially if the doorfee is high). This is a pretty known fact, that people dislike doorfees. Now, even if your doorfee is $5, nobody wants to pay an extra $5 ESPECIALLY if its going right into the guy running the tournament's pocket. It would totally be understandable if ALL of the money was going directly to food, then the rest in the pot, but thats not the case here.
I can rant all day about this, but the end conclusion is if you want to encourage people to come and have fun playing melee/brawl, then don't charge any doorfees. Its that simple. I don't need to explain anymore. It should be pretty obvious as to why.

Edit: $5 is not nothing to everyone dood.

Toneh

Smash Lord
Thats pretty lame dude.
As far as I know, everyone dislikes Maverick because he is pretty greedy(I think hes cool cause he taught me how to DI 4 years ago. lol).

Like I said, its just Florida in general(in comparrison to GA) that seems to have doorfees in which the person running the tournament profits from it.

Hiroshi, doorfees in general discourage people from coming to a tournament(Especially if the doorfee is high). This is a pretty known fact, that people dislike doorfees. Now, even if your doorfee is $5, nobody wants to pay an extra $5 ESPECIALLY if its going right into the guy running the tournament's pocket. It would totally be understandable if ALL of the money was going directly to food, then the rest in the pot, but thats not the case here.
I can rant all day about this, but the end conclusion is if you want to encourage people to come and have fun playing melee/brawl, then don't charge any doorfees. Its that simple. I don't need to explain anymore. It should be pretty obvious as to why.

^agreeddddd, but if enough food come out of it, etc i wouldnt mind

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Thats pretty lame dude.

That door fee and the entrance price stoped me from going.
well then, I guess everyone complains about door fee as well.

I don't pot ****.

I don't say **** about anyone else's tournament rules/prices.

i just deal with it.

Juan, you don't need a door fee. End of story. Your going to be a tourney host, and people are going to complain regardless. You know why gigs is so great? They listen to the customers.

So getting annoyed because people are complaining is something you may want to get used to.

LadyLegion

Smash Ace

and to LAIJIN,

-hiro

yo brian i dont have your controller. When i went in to get my stuff from the room i saw two controllers on the floor if i recall and one of them was silver so it couldve been yours but my controller i had in my hand and i put it in my bag. So sorry man i dont have it.

- uuaa on legion's account -

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
sigh....

Mooney, everything was $5 last tournament

for a total of $15 per person -

5 for dubs, 5 for singles, 5 for door fee

I'm just wondering, is that really too expensive?

Because you guys know me - I'm cheap as ****

I haven't ordered a meal at Mcdonalds since 2005

dollar menu

Frames

DI
Hungry, just keep the prices the way they are.

As far as other places and door fees, I remember that chudat charged 2 bucks for electricity during his biweeklies, not really a door fee, but i'm pretty sure 2 bucks a person isn't enough to pay ANY electric bill.

Frames

DI
dammit hungry they have a brawl tournament every week somewhere in FL, just stick with melee, focus on the community instead of going with whatever gets more people at your house

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i mean, you might as well leave it melee, since your original intention was to have melee scene somewhat going. just be ok with the fact that attendance is neve gonna be mindblowing by house tourney standards and you should be fine

Top Bottom