• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Complete Guide to DI and Survival (updated Mar. 6th 2009)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You do realize you made Lucarios that much more powerful, right?

swordgard

Smash Hero
If you want to count the distance both up and down, rather than just the distance at the end, in the second case, it's 4. 4 < 7.12197621.
You are right in this case(though i can still argue that your number is off because your using a straight line for the first one, which it is not :p, but it still gives a higher number than 4, actually even higher because a line is always going to another point faster than the curve)

BigM, i am no genius, i have much yet to learn like everyone. Id liket o thank colin for helping me out with this, im gonna update it asap.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Ok this shall be added, i thought people were refferring to the regular ASDI from melee :S

EDIT: actually, you should notice collin that i used distance, not displacement. You were the one who confused the 2
ASDI behaves exactly the same in brawl as it did in Melee (idk about stick priority; in Melee ASDI from cstick was taken over control stick ASDI; dunno if that still holds true).

ColinJF

Smash Ace
You are right in this case(though i can still argue that your number is off because your using a straight line for the first one
I didn't consider each frame separately, if that's what you meant. Using your weird sense of "distance" (i.e. summing the distance travelled on each frame), the first case is 8.11049929. This is not the distance you would measure with a ruler though.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Didn't Overswarm try to do this before MK got to him? Why don't you try to find his thread and pull some stuff to save time?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
good sht dude is gonna help out a crap load of people live longer. yay brawl 3 stock 10 mins =]

swordgard

Smash Hero
Alright, SCOTU, my fault, i did not use the proper terms. I meant that DI did not change the base launching force(as in if you do not count gravity and resistance, the mechanic of DI in itself does not change distance). I cleared it up with colin, il fix the guide when i have time(which i seem to lack thanks to school :S )

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Why is this thread not more popular?!

Just as a note, would it be possible to get some videos of your hands inputting the action with a split screen of what's happening? I think, for the most part, I got everything right, but this would eliminate the confusion you mentioned a few times.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hey, can't you just put, like, up+ forward when you're being knocked back, rather than pressing for the diagonals?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hey, can't you just put, like, up+ forward when you're being knocked back, rather than pressing for the diagonals?

Up+forward? So basically you just killed yourself if i upsmashed you right?

Basically, if you are being sent to the left, pressing left will do nothing, nor will pressing right until you get out of momentum. You need to press up, then aerial then ff and then jump then finally press towards the stage. But this only applies if you are being sent of to the sides

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Definitely a good read. Funny how the most seemingly simple technique is actually one of the most complicated and important ones.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I always tried to use QCDI with the c-stick.. I feel so stupid >_<

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Why is this thread not more popular?!

Just as a note, would it be possible to get some videos of your hands inputting the action with a split screen of what's happening? I think, for the most part, I got everything right, but this would eliminate the confusion you mentioned a few times.
It was made 4 days ago :D

Blad01

Smash Lord
So when do you / we begin to fill the list ? A lot of SDI are already known, like Snake Jab, Nair, Dair, Pika's / ROB's / Bowser's DSmashs, etc...

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I'm really kind of dreading to read this because i'm not going to get alot of paragraph breaks. Its like my mind is taking a breath of fresh air when i see a paragraph break. Also at the end of each major section, you should create a mini - some what of the thesis statement pulling all the information together as a whole.

As my english Professor use to say, "Say what you wanna say, then say it again." Repetition will help us remember, and help reinforce the message you are trying to teach us NikoK/swordgard.

swordgard

Smash Hero
So when do you / we begin to fill the list ? A lot of SDI are already known, like Snake Jab, Nair, Dair, Pika's / ROB's / Bowser's DSmashs, etc...
School has been killing all my time, and im going to a tournament this afternoon.

But before SDI and DI appendixes, i gotta update the guide to make it standard with the smash researcher terms <.< . Which i shall do tonight

swordgard

Smash Hero
There, major update to the guide to make it clearer and more accurate. Thanks again to Colin for the help, now i hope everything is fine and i can move on to the appendixes.

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
yeah really good stuff man, should help everyone and benefit everyone looking to further there brawl skills.

Sky`

Smash Lord
So Basically, When Falco Chain grabs you to spike...
SDI is so powerful that... you can SDI on the stage, and you won't get spiked, you'll end up behind him.

Good sh*t.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I'm not entirely sure on the order of events and I want to make sure I understand the DI properly:

Say I'm about to get hit by Captain Falcon's knee, so I should hold up towards the corner of the screen (this is the DI part).
I get hit by Captain Falcon's sweet spotted knee.
During the paused frames I should do the QCDI and TDI towards the stage (this is the SDI part).
Then I'm sent flying. I should input my fastest aerial. I should be able to jump back towards the stage after the aerial is performed.

Correct?

---

Very informative. Clearly I've been DI'ing improperly for a long time now. Going to be hard to break the habits :(

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
good info and everything but honestly, this can be said in half the words

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually I think Falcon's knee is one of the attacks with "cinematographic hitlag" aka "fake hitlag" wherein you can't SDI? idk I could be wrong.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I'm not entirely sure on the order of events and I want to make sure I understand the DI properly:

Say I'm about to get hit by Captain Falcon's knee, so I should hold up towards the corner of the screen (this is the DI part).
I get hit by Captain Falcon's sweet spotted knee.
During the paused frames I should do the QCDI and TDI towards the stage (this is the SDI part).
Then I'm sent flying. I should input my fastest aerial. I should be able to jump back towards the stage after the aerial is performed.

Correct?

---

Very informative. Clearly I've been DI'ing improperly for a long time now. Going to be hard to break the habits :(
You got the order slightly wrong. Switch the first and second steps (the DI and SDI parts). The pause frames (hitlag) comes before you're actually able to DI (normal DI). Just make sure that by the last frame of hitlag you're holding the control stick in the direction you want to DI (since that is the frame where your DI is actually read).

swordgard

Smash Hero
You got the order slightly wrong. Switch the first and second steps (the DI and SDI parts). The pause frames (hitlag) comes before you're actually able to DI (normal DI). Just make sure that by the last frame of hitlag you're holding the control stick in the direction you want to DI (since that is the frame where your DI is actually read).
Il do a timeline graph soon too i guess. Stupid classes taking all my time :S

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
a graph would help. lol i would offer help for the apendixes but idk. looks like u got ur handsfull this is becoming epicly good and useful

also for mk is it better to glide after u di, arial into jump or glide

infomon

Smash Scientist
TDI = Tap DI, which is a very new term someone made up for "Smash-DI input using the control stick (as opposed to the c-stick which can also input smash-DI". It's unfortunate because it's mislead people somewhat; I hear ppl say "yeah I should use tap-DI" whereas.... well, they should smash-DI, probably with both sticks.

The way you smash-DI with the control stick has a bit different mechanics than with the c-stick (since you can quarter-circle the control stick whereas the C-stick needs to return to neutral between inputs), but still.

Top Bottom