• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Complete Guide to DI and Survival (updated Mar. 6th 2009)

swordgard

Smash Hero
When are you starting on that list?
Tonight XD

Sorry i had troubles keeping up with school but now im finally done for about a week so il start tonight(ive been busy doing a few graphs to make it simpler too).

auroreon

Smash Ace
One of the most helpfull guides I've read on these boards! Its supprising how many people don't DI properly or even DI at all...

Just a couple of knit-picky things... In the paragraph where you explain DQCDI you say...
"I suggest you do not bother learning this as this also adds a second horizontal uncanceled vector to your input, in the example being left."
... could be misleading as it doesn't have to be horizontal, it could be a vertical verctor depending on the direction you are SDIing in.

Also, you add some information on the other 2 momentum-canceling special moves, being DKs UpB and Yoshis EggRoll. These 3 specials allow you to survive to rediculess percentages with good reactions.

Once again, excellent guide!

AndreVeloso

Smash Apprentice
I just can't get DI, no matter how good it's explained. I know what has to be done and when but I just don't know how to do it. Thanks for the seemingly terrific guide, I can see a lot of people are benefiting, but I am not one of them.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Don't say you can't.
Just start now! Go into training mode and let the CPU smack you around. Take what you learned from this guide and slowly apply it! ^_- It'll take some time to get DI down, but it will step your game up by two/three notches if you can get it down pat.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ok, heres whats going on, i got good news and bad news.

Good news, i did some very nice graphs of the timeframe for DI and the QCDI equation.
I also finished listing the list of every multi hit move in the game for appendix A(took me 2 hours lol) and im gonna start listing the appendix B and C, and THEN il do the DI for each. This is because even though i know how to DI many of those killing/multi hit moves, i dont know all of them. And as of now, i am currently in mexico on a trip(hence why little to no homework, i had to do them all before leaving lol). This means a few things
A) No wii for testing purposes
B) the computer on which i did the graphs and the appendixes isnt the same as this one where i get the internet, i managed to get them on tinypic yesterday but i forgot the URL on the other comp, will post it tonight. Il try to do as much as possible with the appendixes, the 2nd one is easier to do without wii than the first one. For the third, il give 3 things, BCDI, the aerial used to cancel(i may post 2 if im not sure between each one) and finally if any moves that momentum cancel(bucket, upb yoshi and dk)

EDIT: Considering the insane lenght of the appendixes, im wondering if theres a way on smashboards to do like ive seen on some other forums. It is a way to divide text by asking to click and then the text message opens up, it was mainly used for spoilers on other forums( sorry i dont know how to explain it, il try to find a link later to show what i mean)

swordgard

Smash Hero
Updated the first 2 appendixes, probably gonna need help on those lol.

Anyways, il start doing appendix C with every aerials and stuff.

Please tell me if i forgot any multi-hit or killing moves, i put the category as wide as possible to make sure i dont miss out on any of the attacks

Place holder till i update tonight later in the text for these

http://i41.tinypic.com/1z6t5k9.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/307rzbk.jpg

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Ahh...much better format your using for your post OP. Thank you for breaking it up nicely. Its diffcult for me to comprehend and understand what i read...thinking about what i read is hard for me to do.

The graph you have is also an improvement. If you and Niko_k have any more ideas on how to put your statements into graphs and charts i welcome it. It helps me understand your points a lot better.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ahh...much better format your using for your post OP. Thank you for breaking it up nicely. Its diffcult for me to comprehend and understand what i read...thinking about what i read is hard for me to do.

The graph you have is also an improvement. If you and Niko_k have any more ideas on how to put your statements into graphs and charts i welcome it. It helps me understand your points a lot better.

Working on that with someone whos doing design in advertising.

Im gonna try to post videos and stuff once i get back, but for now i gotta do each individual DI of attacks.

J4pu

Smash Champion
intense OP

may I suggest writing updated Mar. 6 2009
because in the US we are weird and write it month/day/year so to us it looks like it was updated June 3rd 2009

5 stars
subscribed

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Okay, so I've read the guide and for the most part I think I've got things under control, but I can't really be sure. Do you think you might be able to post a what-not-to-do and what-to-do video for the different types of DI?

I heard using a smart bomb and getting out with less than 13% dmg means you're DIing right. True?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I still don't understand much of the information beyond changing your trajectory through inputting vectors. What else could you do other than input a vector and cancel momentum using a fast aerial and then fastfall? The info on SDI, TDI and QCDI just slipped through me lol. Please give me a BRIEF explanation of the advanced forms of DI that occur to me if some1 is trying to KO me at a high percentage

swordgard

Smash Hero
TDI is SDI, so is QCDI, its just advanced ways to do them. On most hits, you wont have time to use them, its mostly vs multi-hit moves to get out before the last one.

Anyways, i found new stuff with the help of niko and got a tourney this saturday, hence why i wasnt updating.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
TDI is SDI, so is QCDI, its just advanced ways to do them. On most hits, you wont have time to use them, its mostly vs multi-hit moves to get out before the last one.

Anyways, i found new stuff with the help of niko and got a tourney this saturday, hence why i wasnt updating.
erm... ok. What is the best way of surviving KO moves such as Snake's utilt and Kirby's down tilted side smash? I read your whole article but it was a lot to do with multiple hit moves.

swordgard

Smash Hero
erm... ok. What is the best way of surviving KO moves such as Snake's utilt and Kirby's down tilted side smash? I read your whole article but it was a lot to do with multiple hit moves.

Uptilt, just DI behind him and use momentum cancelling. If your intense, you could in theory QCDI down if your already in the air when hit in order to tech of the ground on the ASDI part.

Let me check for kirbys side smash angle of launch: Its up and then momentum cancel using fastest aerial fast fall then jump.

infomon

Smash Scientist
errr actually ASDI doesnt exist in brawl if im not mistaken qcdi was valid in melee but im not sure about brawl
ASDI does exist, afaik it's that when you transition from hitlag to hitstun, your control stick is read for a small amount of SDI as well as regular-DI input at that time. I could be mistaken though.

QCDI (Quarter-Circle DI) does exist, as an SDI method, with the control-stick only (c-stick needs to return to neutral between SDI inputs).

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Uptilt, just DI behind him and use momentum cancelling. If your intense, you could in theory QCDI down if your already in the air when hit in order to tech of the ground on the ASDI part.

Let me check for kirbys side smash angle of launch: Its up and then momentum cancel using fastest aerial fast fall then jump.
thank youuuu!

swordgard

Smash Hero
ASDI does exist, afaik it's that when you transition from hitlag to hitstun, your control stick is read for a small amount of SDI as well as regular-DI input at that time. I could be mistaken though.

QCDI (Quarter-Circle DI) does exist, as an SDI method, with the control-stick only (c-stick needs to return to neutral between SDI inputs).
Correct and correct again.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You DI out of Lucas's Nair upward. You DI out of his jabs away.

Also, I didn't read every word but are you going to include wiggling in this?

swordgard

Smash Hero
You DI out of Lucas's Nair upward. You DI out of his jabs away.

Also, I didn't read every word but are you going to include wiggling in this?
Wiggling does not reduce in any way the time until you recover and does not improve survival. So no. Wiggling is when you press left and right to recover from a falling position without jumping or anything, must be done after all hitstun is gone. No use.

Dominic

Smash Apprentice
hmmm i read this thing, but i don'T quite understand it.

its QCDI i understand the less. do you have to press the yelow stick or the grey stick ? if its the yelow stick i thaught it could only register one direction then you had to put it to neutral.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
hmmm i read this thing, but i don'T quite understand it.

its QCDI i understand the less. do you have to press the yelow stick or the grey stick ? if its the yelow stick i thaught it could only register one direction then you had to put it to neutral.
It's the gray stick. You could mash the c-stick in the desired direction as well, though.

TheHulk

Smash Apprentice
this deserves a sticky because most people don't know what DI really means

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Assuming BCDI has something to do with momentum cancelling, change Peach's Fastest Aerial to Uair. Nair technically comes out faster but Peach's Uair ends much much quicker than everything else (except Turnip throw)

Bair is actually one of the worst options since it has horrible ending lag xD

This is really, really nice though. Excellent job

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Can anyone tell me how I can SDI out of Ike's jab combo? Cos it's so annoying and I get jabbed by an Ike too often but being able to SDI out of it would be advantageous.

Thanks

swordgard

Smash Hero
Assuming BCDI has something to do with momentum cancelling, change Peach's Fastest Aerial to Uair. Nair technically comes out faster but Peach's Uair ends much much quicker than everything else (except Turnip throw)

Bair is actually one of the worst options since it has horrible ending lag xD

This is really, really nice though. Excellent job
Doesnt matter how fast it comes out, you can FF on the first frame you press the aerial. And yes, the throw of any items is ALWAYS the fastest. And il update with paralel axis theorem(which can save you an incredible 1 to 2%!!! from dying ) once all my school projects are done.

Cross.

Smash Ace
Doesnt matter how fast it comes out, you can FF on the first frame you press the aerial. And yes, the throw of any items is ALWAYS the fastest. And il update with paralel axis theorem(which can save you an incredible 1 to 2%!!! from dying ) once all my school projects are done.
So it doesnt matter what the fastest aerial is? I figure using the fastest aerial would be beneficial since you can act quicker?

Top Bottom