• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A message to Smash Tournament hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, if its true that its the site administrators that decided on unity ruleset and on the sticky rule. then i guess i should apologise for my previous outburst.
however i still cant help but think its possible to negotiate terms. or for URC to start smaller, trying to get an entire nation of TO's to all comply to the same ruleset is difficult without previous sets, perhaps designating prominent TO's in each state with the task of finding a unity ruleset for their respective state would be the best course of action, that can lead into unity on larger regions and then into the whole country. i just think that the methods used right now is simply a case of too much too fast. its been knwn that west coast and east coast rulesets are drastically different, so trying to find a middleground that they will all agree on borders on an impossible task.
just my two cents when im not in full-on 'its monday tomorrow morning and im going to be working in a warehouse of people who dont speak my language' mode ^^

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
The entire administration on smashboards is ****ed up. Corrupt and dumb. But sadly we're stuck here, some people suggested it but I really don't think migrating to another smash forum is feasible anytime in the foreseeable future.
What? I hope you're joking. The administration here is awesome. Areas of the back room have some issues but saying the entire board is kinda ****ed up man.

It's more like the mass of smash boards is ******** and the admins have at least a half of a brain

:phone:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
It's more like the mass of smash boards is ******** and the admins have at least a half of a brain.
Oh please. This is the same bull**** justification that every person in a position of power uses.

"Everyone is dumb so they need us to tell them what they can and cannot do, because we are so intelligent in comparison."

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Oh please. This is the same bull**** justification that every person in a position of power uses.

"Everyone is dumb so they need us to tell them what they can and cannot do, because we are so intelligent in comparison."
....I'm not in any place of power on here.

In fact, I have **** on the backroom since I joined here. but not the administration. backroom is not admins, and if you're grouping them like how I think you are then you are way off.

Pretty much all the people on here have incoherent opinions on trivial matters, then don't explain how or why. seems like you're one of those people.

just saying.

The board is kept pretty clean and managed accordingly. and although the backroom ****s **** up all the time, they take careful time with their ******** decisions to try and benefit the people playing smash. personal time. they do more than you do just saying they suck. I've lead campaigns on why they've sucked, and backed myself up.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Migrating to another smash forum is rash. Calling the administration "corrupt" is overreacting, though I do believe they are making a big mistake with the method used to promote the Unity ruleset.

Trying to label the sticky situation as a "reward" instead of a "punishment" is just avoiding the issue entirely. Ruleset decision is a basic right for every TO and it shouldn't be a factor on deciding what to sticky.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
.... Everyone is following the motion of the ruleset. All hope isn't lost. You can still use metaknight in local tournaments. It's just national tourneys that he is banned. Tournament organizers need to have free will.

Hax

Smash Champion
Of course you didn't...not even attempting to understand the actual situation yet still vocalizing you're views based on biased internalized feelings is what you are best at.
when I said I hadn't read the thread, I meant in regards to the unity ruleset discussion. rather than sift through 10 pages of essays to determine what exactly was pissing people off about the unity ruleset, I made an educated guess that the bullsh*t stages (Brinstar, RC, now Japes) were what was pissing people off. I assumed this because it's what pisses me off about the ruleset. looks like I ended up being right based on the responses to my post.

Why would I have been mad at you? I think I was in the middle of playing HON when you messaged me, which is way more important than talking to someone who is unwilling to understand anything other than how they currently feel.
l2read; in my AIM message I reassured you that I wasn't mad at you (which was a lie).

Not how the conversation went. You are very transparent. When you start out a conversation with "I'm not mad or anything" then act the way you do, it's pretty obvious umad. I'm still on AIM pretty often as well.
exactly how the conversation went; I have no reason to lie.

I begun by saying "I'm not mad or anything" because I knew I was dealing with a very hostile person who had been avoiding the community, and I didn't want you to ignore me before I could extract some information. considering I got you to admit that you "don't owe any of you people anything LMAO," I'd say I succeeded ;)

ryulord_678

Smash Cadet
Someone from the URC should make a video to battle the videos against the URC.
Didnt mike haze say he was from the URC?
They don't exactly sound like a unified group to me.

Also plairnk, you seem to be dealing with Hax fairly badly.

1) Misinterpret what he says so you can favorably ridicule it.
2) Ridicule it.
3) Say something about how he is unreasonable, or doesnt understand, etc etc.

It seems like youre letting your anger talk, and I dont think your posts make any real sense. Maybe cool down before you reply to him, or if you cant, just dont post maybe.

-rl

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Back when I was in the URC there was always a player or 2 that was almost completely inactive. Mikehaze was one of them and from what I hear he still was/is. I was always for kicking people that don't contribute when I was in. Regardless, 90%+ were active back there and likely still are from what I hear. They should have just attempted to speak to Mike more or hell, Mike should have spoken up instead making that vid outta nowhere. Nearly ****ed up thing to do imo.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I love how a page back someone actually suggested a really good compromise vis a vis the Unity Ruleset that I think everyone should actually consider, and instead, invective continues to be tossed around like **** in a monkey cage, rather than people trying to actually talk about the issue like ****ing sensible adults.

Looking like the US Congress out here.

Bones0

Smash Legend
There's no need for a compromise. URC members have already consented to the fact that 80% of stickied tournaments already use their rule set, so there is certainly no need to not sticky the few tournaments that use their own rule set but still have a good expected turnout.

leffen

Smash Champion
lol@people not complaining without knowing **** about it.
lol@M2K being a child.
Go to hell@Plank for being a ****ing liar and keeps telling us "omg u so ignorant ololol" but doesnt say what he is ignorant about or what actually happend.
lol@people saying that plank didnt intend/isnt going to continue to steal and therefor he isnt guilty of stealing 10.000$

Bones0

Smash Legend
lol @ Plank intending to run a tournament just so he would have to bail himself out of bankruptcy with the prize money.

"OMG guys. I can't believe he got away with nothing but the scorn of 90% of the community he's been a part of for years. What a deviant mastermind! When will he strike again, especially since everyone would be eager to go to the next tournament he hosts?!?"

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Here is a post telling tournament hosts what to do.

In a thread saying tournaments hosts shouldn't be told what to do.
Oh god I lol'd.

TOs gonna TO. Let 'em be. It's annoying as **** when someone tells you how to run your event on something that you aren't looking for any criticism regarding.
And poor Plank, he had an unfortunate series of events happen to him that led the entire community to hating him =/ Really depressing. Shows what people have at stake running a national.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Stating that the stickies was a form of reward is an obvious false statement. Before the URC stickies were originally available to anyone at any time, it was just a matter of earning it. Now it doesnt matter how big your tournament is, a sticky is not available to you unless you use the URC. Even if you consider stickies rewards then you're outright admitting that you only reward those who follow a completely arbitrary rule. You're denying other people the same opportunities simply based on a rule that was decided by a group of 3 people. Which is ********.

Edit: Sup mat,xeb. I see you there on aim, being all sexy.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Stating that the stickies was a form of reward is an obvious false statement. Before the URC stickies were originally available to anyone at any time, it was just a matter of earning it. Now it doesnt matter how big your tournament is, a sticky is not available to you unless you use the URC. Even if you consider stickies rewards then you're outright admitting that you only reward those who follow a completely arbitrary rule. You're denying other people the same opportunities simply based on a rule that was decided by a group of 3 people. Which is ********.
Three people, as in the 17 members of the URC? Okay...

Out of curiosity, aside from the MK ban, what about the Unity Ruleset is SO controversial that people have incentive to not follow it?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Those 17 people didn't decide the sticky rule.

And probably just the mere existence of the URC is what has people peeved.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Alpha Zealot said he suggested it and JV put it into place, so technically 2 people was all it took to put the sticky rule into place. That's also how many people it would take to change it back. Not sure why AZ doesn't see the fact that people dislike it, tell JV to change it back, then we're good. If your goal is to create a unified rule set, it wouldn't be wise to overstep boundaries and piss a whole bunch of people off for virtually no reason (i.e. Stickied tournaments rarely compete with one another as TOs are smart enough to not plan nationals or large regionals in the same region on the same weekend, so you lose nothing by allowing non-URC rule set tournaments to be stickied as well).

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
So 8 people, of which half don't play smash made that decision.

Scratch that, about a third don't play smash competitively.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well WTF is on the Senate? Sounds like a case where one or two people cared about it, and everyone else just went along with it...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
JV doesn't come to this site anymore. He's been absent for about 4 months now

frotaz37

Smash Lord
....I'm not in any place of power on here.
Never said you were.

In fact, I have **** on the backroom since I joined here. but not the administration. backroom is not admins, and if you're grouping them like how I think you are then you are way off.

Pretty much all the people on here have incoherent opinions on trivial matters, then don't explain how or why. seems like you're one of those people.
I don't know why you're making assumptions about me when I have made none about you :/

The board is kept pretty clean and managed accordingly. and although the backroom ****s **** up all the time, they take careful time with their ******** decisions to try and benefit the people playing smash. personal time. they do more than you do just saying they suck. I've lead campaigns on why they've sucked, and backed myself up.
Again, you're taking shots at me why? I really don't understand.

My point is simple: Saying things like "the mass of smashboards is ******** and the admins at least have half a brain" is a really terrible way to defend anyone from any kind of accusations, especially if the accusations involve abuse of power.

That's all ;)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hax said:
this whole sticky/uniform ruleset business is, IMO, an attempt at professionalizing the smash community that is failing miserably due to a sh*tty unity ruleset. stages like brinstar, rainbow cruise, and now jungle japes, do not belong in competitive play and for tournaments to not be "official" because they don't legalize these stages is ridiculous.
I really don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. First, you seem to be referring to the MBR ruleset, which has no sticky things attached to it. Yet, you also seem to be referring to the URC ruleset, which does, but also lack things like "jungle japes". Get your facts right.

Plaink said:
If a tournament is run by single people then you need to follow the direction of those single people to make sure everything runs smooth, you can't just ignore what those in charge say and ignore requests just because it's "what you're used to". It'd be one thing if I just ignored the fact and pretended like smashers didnt usually cram into rooms, but I actively requested over and over and over and preached consequences if people didn't listen, and they didn't. The actual consequences didn't happen (people getting kicked out) because it wasn't feasible to monitor, instead there was no money left for prizes because my bank account got billed for extra rooms.
If Smash players could not have stacked rooms there they simply would have gone to a different hotel entirely. You know this Plank, I know you know this. Even if it isn't the Smash community, it is common sense, they are going to go where it is cheap, and if they can find a cheap hotel with 15 miles of the venue for half the price they will book that out instead if they really are forced not to stack rooms.

b0nes said:
Alpha Zealot said he suggested it and JV put it into place, so technically 2 people was all it took to put the sticky rule into place. That's also how many people it would take to change it back.
It was sorta the reverse except it was more JV saying this was the best way to implement it (aka sticky rules and a few other things) and me agreeing with him. I simply came to him with the concept of TO's working together for an official ruleset, then things went from there and evolved. The sticky rules originated from him and then after speaking with him and thinking it through it seemed like an important incentive to have.

DtJ Jungle said:
So 8 people, of which half don't play smash made that decision.

Scratch that, about a third don't play smash competitively.
First: How do you get 8 people?
Second: are you really trying to discredit people who run tournaments because "they don't play Smash competitively"? There are a lot of TO's who don't, including some prominent ones. The important thing is that they run tournaments and TO semi often (aka 1 tournament a year is to little, 4 is about right at a minimum).

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I'd just like to re-iterate that I have no problem at all with the Unity Ruleset itself, nor the ideas behind it. It's actually a really, really great idea.

My issue is more-so with the fact that the community doesn't support tournament organizers unless they do things in an extremely specific way. As people are all over the board on this (and I currently do not have the time to address everything that has been posted) I'm just going to continue letting this sit for now.

Full time work has taken a lot of my time away from me these days haha

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
M2K, we're not punishing anyone, we're just not rewarding them, there's a big difference there.
What about the "incentives" for hosting tournaments with the URC ruleset post-Apex 2012? Y'know, the ones that are going to be announced?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Carrot and stick.

Edit: I'm with Gimpy, btw. My biggest beef isn't so much the concept of the ruleset as it is the dictatorial implementation of it. What was so wrong with the previous rules for stickies?

Smooth Criminal

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
@AZ it was an exaggeration, i didn't feel like going to count how many actual senators admins

Also, what? No, I'm not discrediting people who run smash tournaments without playing >_>. I co-host melee tournaments and I don't really play much anymore. I wasn't referring to the banning of MK or anything that the URC has done, I was referring to the actual formation of the URC. A good amount of Senators don't (and a few have never!) play or have played smash competitively. That's all I was pointing out. Someone had said something about Senators or something.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
Mods are clearly siding with plank.

It definitely has nothing to do with the fact that threads about individual users have been insta-locked since forever.

Also, I just remembered THIS THREAD was designated as the place to argue about all this, so for the mods' sake, keep further discussion in there (not that it will accomplish anything luuuulllllz).
yea there's no point, he'll never show his face again. it's like he dissapeared of the face of the planet.

hey can someone link me to m2k post? i don't want to read this thread

Player-1

Smash Legend
What about the "incentives" for hosting tournaments with the URC ruleset post-Apex 2012? Y'know, the ones that are going to be announced?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Carrot and stick.

Edit: I'm with Gimpy, btw. My biggest beef isn't so much the concept of the ruleset as it is the dictatorial implementation of it. What was so wrong with the previous rules for stickies?

Smooth Criminal
The URC hasn't heard anything about incentives so IDK what you're talking about. Incentives=rewards? I don't see anything wrong with rewards.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The URC hasn't heard anything about incentives so IDK what you're talking about. Incentives=rewards? I don't see anything wrong with rewards.
Why don't you ask AZ about it? He mentioned it in the "Metaknight is officially banned!" thread.

Communication trickles down like molasses around here, doesn't it?

And there isn't anything wrong with rewarding people with things beyond a sticky for using a specific ruleset? Nothing at all?

Congratulations for alienating those TOs that decide to be "different." Way to go, URC, for making your Brawl community even more divisive than before.

Smooth Criminal

Player-1

Smash Legend
Not really since it's the SWF administration, that is, ATM, dealing with things such as incentives. So you don't have to criticize the URC for it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not really since it's the SWF administration, that is, ATM, dealing with things such as incentives. So you don't have to criticize the URC for it.
And you're completely blameless, right? And helpless? And hapless?

You don't have a voice despite being part of the committee that decides the rulesets for the "whole" (I use this term very loosely 'cause you guys clearly do not recognize anything outside of North America) community?

What are you guys, just mouthpieces?

Smooth Criminal

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I swear to ****ing christ.

First you guys dodge addressing the point by arguing semantics about the meaning of the word punishment.

Now you're doing the same thing with the word blame.

Knock it the **** off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom