• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Majist

Smash Journeyman
will said you did really well against his MK. i did too. it turns out that MK has a really hard time approaching Wario cuz wario can be a really defensive fighter, both on ground and in air. his fair comes out fast and he gains a lot of horizontal distance in the air, so he can easily do retreating attacks, and do quick aerials from a short hop. also, his spot dodge is terrific, and can follow up with a fsmash. i was almost able to beat munkus' MK with wario after countless matches with all my other characters being brutally defeated.

i dunno, but i'm just gonna go with it. Wario seemed to click with me anyway, so i'm gonna pick him up. my only issue with him is that his dsmash takes forever to recover from.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
What do y'all think about Sonic? I tried him out a bit against Rob, but he seems to get his *** handed to him by Snake. He fared much better against Rob's Mario though. His priority sucks, he's lacking kill moves, his specials are marginally useful (except the homing attack), and he doesn't have a projectile (which puts him at a big disadvantage in this game). On the bright side, he's fast and his recovery is hax. I feel more comfortable going out off the ledge and ledgeguarding with him.

I guess what I'm saying is that he kind of sucks, but I think he's kind of fun and want to get better with him. Ya'll got any insight?

Also, to everyone who's coming in here posting your friend code, please add the existing members on the list before asking that we add you. I got about 8 people who have posted here that I added a week ago that are still awaiting registration and I'm about to purge the list. Also, Munkus, add me.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
wtfs the deal with yoshi's egg roll
in melee all you had to do was hit him out of it. now almost all attacks just clank with it. are we gonna have to start banning FD against yoshis?
Yeah, its way better now. It has priority over just about everything. Best you can shoot for is a clank. There's an interesting Youtube video out showing all the moves that it has priority over. The most interesting one to me was watching him roll right into a Falcon Punch, unharmed.

Maybe you can give up your anti Yoshi policy now, lol.

I recently played Brawl in Madison with my friend and I loved it. Now I'm back here at UAB and I don't have any friends at the moment with the game, so if anyone wants someone to dominate I'm game...I play Olimar. I'd like to get better and meet some new people if that's possible. I'm a freshman at Blazer Hall if that concerns anyone.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
I recently played Brawl in Madison with my friend and I loved it. Now I'm back here at UAB and I don't have any friends at the moment with the game, so if anyone wants someone to dominate I'm game...I play Olimar. I'd like to get better and meet some new people if that's possible. I'm a freshman at Blazer Hall if that concerns anyone.
Hey, I go over to UAB to play with Alex every now and then. I think he lives in Blazer too (or one of those dorms in that little area). I think we're planning on playing tomorrow night. Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll call or text you or something and let you know what's up.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, nice. Well i can defiantly go to that Brawl tourny in memphis but.... as usual i would need a ride so yea. Technically it wouldnt be so bad because its on the way to memphis so you could just stop by and pick me up ( moogle and coach have done it once before ).

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
What do y'all think about Sonic? I tried him out a bit against Rob, but he seems to get his *** handed to him by Snake. He fared much better against Rob's Mario though. His priority sucks, he's lacking kill moves, his specials are marginally useful (except the homing attack), and he doesn't have a projectile (which puts him at a big disadvantage in this game). On the bright side, he's fast and his recovery is hax. I feel more comfortable going out off the ledge and ledgeguarding with him.

I guess what I'm saying is that he kind of sucks, but I think he's kind of fun and want to get better with him. Ya'll got any insight?

Also, to everyone who's coming in here posting your friend code, please add the existing members on the list before asking that we add you. I got about 8 people who have posted here that I added a week ago that are still awaiting registration and I'm about to purge the list. Also, Munkus, add me.
Good games as always, Mid. I need to play your Zelda some more. I don't understand her close-range game yet, but I do have a solid response to Din's Fire with Mario and Ness/Lucas.

Sonic doesn't have a lot of kill moves, but he can be hard to hit too because some of his moves look the same, yet behave differently. Spam his homing moves in the air and vary the charge-up times. I played against a really good Sonic this weekend and my Snake just couldn't keep up (which surprises me because I think Sonic sucks). The trick with him seems to be that his hitboxes on those moves last long enough to get him out of range and back into safety. The moves themselves and their recovery lags just clank with my attacks and flicker invincible against my explosives. Maybe I just got suckered into attacking too soon. If I can remember the player's name, I'll point him out.

I've added quite a few people who haven't added back. Arhnygoose? There are more, but I can't remember. Reflex hasn't added me back either, even though he obviously doesn't fall into the n00b category.

Incidentally, has anyone else been using the SWF Friend Finder? If not, do it. It's awesomely useful. There's no software to download or anything. It's just a small in-browser client that tells you who is online, where they are and what they want to play. Click on a person's name to send him a challenge and everything from your SWF profile is integrated. No PMs necessary. I just introduced Munkus to it yesterday (I saw you, theONEjanitor, on there too and I need to add you still). Plus, there's always someone from Georgia on there to fight, which means low latency. I have learned so much this weekend from playing folks on Friend Finder. I got some good anti-Falco, Shiek and Pit tactics with Snake that I am eager to apply elsewhere. Wolf, not so much. He's so fast. I also realized while playing Munkus that I am being too lazy and predictable with Snake's recovery. Gotta mix that up and I think I know what to practice.

Oh, and I finally encountered a blue online connection in Brawl. It was against Munkus here in HSV, less than 10 miles away. I still feel like there was some delay here and there but it's hard to say.

@Majist: That's just awesome. Any pro-DK or anti-MetaKnight news is always welcome. Maybe you can show me how to play DK in Brawl because I certainly haven't figured it out.

ahrnygoose

Smash Rookie
Good games as always, Mid. I need to play your Zelda some more. I don't understand her close-range game yet, but I do have a solid response to Din's Fire with Mario and Ness/Lucas.

Sonic doesn't have a lot of kill moves, but he can be hard to hit too because some of his moves look the same, yet behave differently. Spam his homing moves in the air and vary the charge-up times. I played against a really good Sonic this weekend and my Snake just couldn't keep up (which surprises me because I think Sonic sucks). The trick with him seems to be that his hitboxes on those moves last long enough to get him out of range and back into safety. The moves themselves and their recovery lags just clank with my attacks and flicker invincible against my explosives. Maybe I just got suckered into attacking too soon. If I can remember the player's name, I'll point him out.

I've added quite a few people who haven't added back. Arhnygoose? There are more, but I can't remember. Reflex hasn't added me back either, even though he obviously doesn't fall into the n00b category.

Incidentally, has anyone else been using the SWF Friend Finder? If not, do it. It's awesomely useful. There's no software to download or anything. It's just a small in-browser client that tells you who is online, where they are and what they want to play. Click on a person's name to send him a challenge and everything from your SWF profile is integrated. No PMs necessary. I just introduced Munkus to it yesterday (I saw you, theONEjanitor, on there too and I need to add you still). Plus, there's always someone from Georgia on there to fight, which means low latency. I have learned so much this weekend from playing folks on Friend Finder. I got some good anti-Falco, Shiek and Pit tactics with Snake that I am eager to apply elsewhere. Wolf, not so much. He's so fast. I also realized while playing Munkus that I am being too lazy and predictable with Snake's recovery. Gotta mix that up and I think I know what to practice.

Oh, and I finally encountered a blue online connection in Brawl. It was against Munkus here in HSV, less than 10 miles away. I still feel like there was some delay here and there but it's hard to say.

@Majist: That's just awesome. Any pro-DK or anti-MetaKnight news is always welcome. Maybe you can show me how to play DK in Brawl because I certainly haven't figured it out.
hey, i've just been having some trouble with the network at uab. i can only connect my wii to the internet when i'm using the nintendo usb wifi adapter i bought ages ago. plus i haven't been around my dorm very long for the past week or so. i'm going to add everyone i can hopefully by tomorrow. don't worry, i'll add you soon.

ahrnygoose

Smash Rookie
hey i'm a junior at uab in camp hall, so that's definitely close, lol. yeah, like mid said, i'm playing brawl tomorrow night with him and some others at about 8 pm. you can come if you want. just ask mid to give you my number or send a pm with your name.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
dang i need to get some online play with all you guys. the only guy from this thread i've played is munkus:(

is smash on for tomorrow night, moogle?

edit: oh also, rob, i tried to go to the default ip address for my linksys, and it told me to leave the user name space blank and put "admin" as the password, but the window just popped back up again. i don't know what to do about that.

j00t

Smash Champion
That was the largest string of shameless post++'s i've seen on this board.

And I just did one myself. :p

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
sorry i couldnt play longer goose. had to go to wal-mart.

goose your match with us was laggy because of that other guy 'moo'. we were playing with him earlier and it was laggy as ****

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
@ midguy
all the semi-decent sonic's i've played basically just spam spin attacks of all sorts..in particular the down and b, which is a really versatile move, you can roll across the ground, you can roll, and then roll up into a back air, or you can roll right into an up and b. like rob said all his moves look the same, so its hard to tell what he's doing. i mistake his down b for his downsmash a lot and don't react properly.
btw, i'm gonna need to play against your zelda some time. I need to learn what she can do.

@ rob good games earlier. snake is tricky. i never know where all your explosives are.

@ majist. wario huh? i'd never of though that. i feel your pain on metaknight. the character's just really annoying. it takes me out of my game sometimes. i think thats what makes people lose more so than the character is the fact they get frustrated, which is easy to do. his priority is ridiculous.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
My problem with the spin attacks are the ****ty priority. On top of that, most of my practicing was done against Rob's Snake so ground travel wasn't a reliable option (stupid mines).

Yeah, I'll try to get online more. Work's been a ***** (and will be for the next 3 weeks) and I just started going back to the gym to get my fat *** back into shape so I'm usually tired as hell when I get home. I forsee me getting online for a good bit on Thursday though.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
What day do people in Huntsville get together - is it still Tuesday or Thursday?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
majist, another character you might want to try against metaknight is marth. he's got just as much priority, and MORE range and enough speed to keep up. you have a little more freedom to approach with marth.
i've been playing on gamebattles, and i swear metaknight is EVERYONES counter pick character. but i usually still win (if i've won the first round) if i pick marth.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
i gave marth a try, and against munkus' MK, i had minimal success..... marth is a great counterpick, but i guess munkus just knows how to fight him D: my marth gave him trouble, but i still couldn't beat him. i had better luck with wario.

are we smashing tonight?? i really really really want to. i need to get some matches with rob:grin:

oh hey moogle, i cleared smash target level 4 in 20 seconds and level 5 in 23 seconds with zelda. yayuhz! i could have done better on both, but the odds of me getting that last shot perfectly on level 4 is well.... i don't want to try that hard, lol

anyway... SMASH TONIGHT PLEASE!!!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you know, there aren't that many diddy players. although i understand justin wong plays diddy but i dunno if he'll show at all the smash-only tourneys...if he does I can imagine a legion of copycats.

but that's kind of surprising considering how good diddy is. but i like it that way. the less my opponents know about how to counter bananas, the better :-D

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
why is it that i've added like all of you on brawl but i've only played with rob and goose?

EDIT: how the frick did i miss my graduation to Smash Lord? 1000 posts ftw

Majist

Smash Journeyman
majist have you added me online yet?
yes i did. we need to pray!! if you ever have any free time during the day, like from 10:00am-2:00pm, we should set something up. that goes for everyone else too!

Rob, i missed you last night!:(
I'm in the Huntsville area. What goes on around here meet wise?
we typically meet either tuesday/thursday and sometimes on saturday every week. we recently made thursday the "official day." we meet at moogle's place (PM him for directions) around 6:00pm. often times we'll all pitch in for pizza.

gg's last night, munkus. i would have liked to play more, but i didn't want to:p

Top Bottom