• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
oic @ george. well i'm close to beating it. you guys should try it
lucas is dope
i need to find a reliable approach with him, right now i'm just spamming pk fires lulz.
and he needs a move that attacks both sides. i mean downsmash attacks behind a LITTLE, but not that much. in fact I think upsmash attacks more behind him...its just too slow to use will nilly.
I find a SHD-air works pretty well as an approach. Or a sliding shield grab. It's hard to punish if you do it right b/c of Luca's semi-ranged grab. The other method I like is a SHF-air, but do it close enough that if they shield you land behind them, then follow up with an U-tilt.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Moogle, Munkus, good games. Lag wasn't too bad (except for our first few matches, Will) and teams was fun once we all got on the same page. It amazes me that you can't see the team distribution before the match.

While some of us have Xbox Live and frequently use it for voice chat, I think it would be worth investigating some sort of teleconferenceing software. I say this because Brawl's online interface doesn't get the job done. AIM seems to have voice chat, but I don't know if you can all talk on the same channel. Ventrilo and TeamSpeak look enticing. If you guys have any input, that would be useful, but the important thing here is standardization. As long as we can all get to the same server, it might not matter which client software we choose.

Of course, there is a thread about using IRC to see who's online and coordinate matches/friend code exchanges. Check this out if you get a chance. I will be registering sometime soon.

Oh, and for those interested, speedtest.net has regional download/upload statistics that are worth looking at. Apparently, Auburn or Tuscaloosa should host as many Brawls as possible:

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=1&country=1&region=221

@theONEjanitor: how do you feel about short-hopped fair, nair, and dair as an approach?

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow i cant belive that florence has a better download than huntsville. Also is there anyway possible for there to be 2 rooms for everyone to play because scrappy and I were wanting to play but we couldnt because the room was full all night. Even though we played some on Gamebattles we still wanna play with you guys.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
@theONEjanitor: how do you feel about short-hopped fair, nair, and dair as an approach?

i've been using nairs a lot, its just not the most ranged attack, you gotta get in real close for it.

i'm not too big on SH dairs because of the landing lag, you can't really follow up a sh dair very well i dont think

fairs are cool, they have too much knockback to set up gameplay around i'd say, its cool to get people out your face and as a kill move

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
So I'm thinking about hosting a SmashFest at my house this friday night. 110 inch Screen, Melee and Brawl both.

It would be: BYOC, BYOB, BYAG.

Any takers?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Moogle, while I like the new setup for finding Alabamians to play, it seems to be lacking a location section. I know online is the future and all, but it really doesn't replace sitting on a couch with you guys.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Birmingham! I will be in town starting this Friday, and ending the following Sunday.

i expect much smashing, don't neglect to hit me up

j00t

Smash Champion
Fun games lastnight JWT, you have a mean Wario and your Dedede isnt to bad either.
Eh, my Dedede is balls and I don't intend to get good with him. I just like chaingrabbing people online, imagining how upset they'd get over it. :p

Oh yeah, Dedede <<<<<<<<<<<< Toon Link. That's messed up :p

I'm glad that we played with items off. Was so refreshing :X

moogle

Smash Ace
So I'm thinking about hosting a SmashFest at my house this friday night. 110 inch Screen, Melee and Brawl both.

It would be: BYOC, BYOB, BYAG.

Any takers?
I got something going on Friday night... but I might show up late if you think you guys will be playing after 10 or 11.

Add me to the list! I've been looking for a good Brawl. I main Fox/Falco/Lucario/Sonic/Pit/ Zamus. Add my Wii code too!
Done! May I ask... what part of Alabama are you from?

add marth to my characters.
i think marth's going to top the tier list
Done! And I agree. Toon Link and Marth for top tier.

Moogle, while I like the new setup for finding Alabamians to play, it seems to be lacking a location section. I know online is the future and all, but it really doesn't replace sitting on a couch with you guys.
Done! Maybe. Do you think it's ok with 4 regions like this? or should I add city names for everyone? or maybe I could add more regions of Alabama (Florence, Tuscaloosa, Phenix City, etc.)

Sensai

Smash Master
@ George: This online craze will pass soon...I'm sure everyone's just excited about a Nintendo console being online, myself included.

@ Tabuu: **** you. Seriously, man. Grow a pair and stop using that God **** move. ***.

@ everyone: Toon Link for president. Holy ****. I'm pretty sure I'mma be dropping Ike for this guy.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Bah i really need to buy a wii, i think i might do that over spring break, but i'll probably have to order it online or something. Anybody know a better way to get a Wii other than ebay? and besides buying in the stores since they seem to never have them anymore :(

And how are you guys communicating to brawl, when you add the friend code can you see who is online? cause i'll probably be at my friends house brawling with him over spring break and i'd love to brawl you guys.

@moogle: We still having smashfests on Saturday nights? cause now that i have like every Saturday night off i still want to work on my melee as well as my brawl.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Birmingham! I will be in town starting this Friday, and ending the following Sunday.

i expect much smashing, don't neglect to hit me up
Hit me up.

JOOT said:
Eh, my Dedede is balls and I don't intend to get good with him. I just like chaingrabbing people online, imagining how upset they'd get over it. :p
***, lol. You should have seen me over here cussing. For some reason, I wasn't having a problem getting out of it when I was playing with Luigi against my friend the other day, but I couldn't get out of it to save my life against you.

P.S. - What'd you think about my Zelda? I think I may marry that filthy *****.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the Montgomery Area (Montgomery to be exact, haha)
FC: 3566-1263-3760
Mains: Mario, Toon Link
Nick: Geou

I won't be online very much for a little while, though...

coach

Smash Apprentice
So if I were going to do this, what time would be best for everyone?
Me and moogle are going to a friends engagement dinner, so we wouldn't get there until later, but otherwise it's up to kendra, joot, and munkus (if he'll be in town already). Moogle and I couldn't come until later.

Dais

Smash Cadet
Central Alabama - Childersburg.
Mains: Samus / Falco / Wario
(no items etc...)
I think its a good idea to get a bunch of Friend Codes from the same state for lag reasons. Feel free to pm me or get my brawl code <--. I also urge everyone to put "alabama" in their profile dohickey thing on the left instead of some goofy joke. Also, you should use this sites "Friend Finder" because the more people that are on it, the more options you have.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Done! And I agree. Toon Link and Marth for top tier.
@ everyone: Toon Link for president. Holy ****. I'm pretty sure I'mma be dropping Ike for this guy.

Haha.... soo everyone is seeing the light eh ? :psycho:. Toon Link is the shiz man, he actually works out great for me online. Oh man lastnight on gamebattles we fought a team that used Falco and Ganondorf and boy did they get *****, and they were ranked 3 lvl's ahead of us on the leaderboards. Ganondorf just couldnt keep up with me ( seeing as how ganon sucks **** now ).

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link gives me a headache. He has no weaknesses. Aaaand I'm so tired of characters with swords.

I will be online tonight. Guaranteed. Has anyone encountered a "blue" connection yet? The best I get is green.

First page looks good, Moogle. The players table could use some colored text and or some column formatting, maybe? That way player names aren't smacked against up against their respective main lists. You can add Lucas to my list of mains.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Nope, the best connection ive seen so far is a Yellow connection, ive been playing people from far away and actually got a yellow connection.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
So if I were going to do this, what time would be best for everyone?
honestly, i'm free all day, so the sooner the better for me. i won't be able to stay very late cuz i have to get up balls early saturday and go to anniston D:
@ George:
toon link's great, but don't drop Ike!!! he's still a beast.
What'd you think about my Zelda? I think I may marry that filthy *****.
i honestly can't decide whether Ike or Zelda is my favorite. Zelda rocks.

i've begun to work on Fox, Wolf, Toon Link, and Ganondorf, but i don't feel confident enough to add them to my list just yet.

I really need to get on ZSS (sexually). She is the new Sheik after all.:bee:(wtf, new smiley?!)

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Gamebattles is an online tournament website thats run by MLG. Playing through gamebattles pretty much decides if your ganna be playing on the MLG circuit or not.

http://gamebattles.com/

http://www.mlgpro.com/

The website is really good though, they have there own match making system through the website, leaderboards, etc...

Right now were going for the Spring 08 playoffs to see about our MLG standings and hopefully to win some cash XD.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I've been playing people 10 minutes away and it's a yellow connection. Maybe my internet blows. :(

Depending on how early I get done with my GameStop's district tournament (I should really get some practice in with the nunchuck), I may feel up to going to Huntsville to play with you guys. On the otherhand, everyone's spring break starts Friday, so everyone whose *** I want to kick in Brawl in the Birmingham area will be around. I guess you guys can count me out.

moogle

Smash Ace
@moogle: We still having smashfests on Saturday nights? cause now that i have like every Saturday night off i still want to work on my melee as well as my brawl.
Yeah, we'll probably do something Saturday. :p

I'm in the Montgomery Area (Montgomery to be exact, haha)
FC: 3566-1263-3760
Mains: Mario, Toon Link
Nick: Geou

I won't be online very much for a little while, though...
Long time, no see!

First page looks good, Moogle. The players table could use some colored text and or some column formatting, maybe? That way player names aren't smacked against up against their respective main lists. You can add Lucas to my list of mains.
I'll experiment with color in the near future. As far as I know, Smashboards doesn't have any column formatting... or even tabs. I changed up the first post a little. I put some spaces in the character lists, like... ZSS / Ike instead of ZSS/Ike. And now... bold, underlined, and hyperlinked names!

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
I wanna see rainbow colors and magical text, i wanna see flowers and ponies on the list XD XD.
Lol i wanted to say that Hehe...

But no... the front page looks good Moogle, i honestly cant think of anything else to help out. You could look at other lists and get some idea from them ( unless you wanna be original and do something unique for us ).

Majist

Smash Journeyman
holy crap, crashboards is working for the time being:mad:

Rigor Mortis, i'm PMing you my cell # so you can call me whenever tomorrow.

edit: moogle, the first page looks great. very well organized:bigthumbu

i'll see you tonight;)

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
Okay. Smashing at my house starting around 9-9:30 on friday night. If I've received a PM from you, I'll PM you back with directions.

If you're interested, PM me or aim me.

AIM: Alucinara

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
just beat SE and unlocked the character.
i concur that tabuu can suck a nut

the move is dodgable though, if you time a couple of rolls correctly, i was only able to do it once

mslano

Smash Journeyman
My copy of Brawl arrived today, so it seems prudent to update my information.

Code: 2921 8841 7952
Characters: Ike, R.O.B.

Sensai

Smash Master
Hooray! I'll add Slim when I get on the Wii next.

And Tabuu in the SSE isn't all that bad...it's in those god **** Boss Battle things. I work my *** off to get there and attempt to kill him and he goes into that, as IHSB so accurately put it, Psychonauts-but-actually-annoying move that is a ***** and a half to dodge. If I had TWO lives I'd be able to do it...but alas, I have only one.

Anyone wanna play tonight?

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
All right, I've added everyone on the list that has a friend code. Hopefully the rest of you that haven't will get around to it?

To answer your question Sensai, yes.

Sensai

Smash Master
Good matches tonight...whoever it was that I played. It was George, Midguy, and someone else...right? Or am I going crazy?

Either way, good matches for definitely.

Top Bottom