• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Important Message (You probably suck at Smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roarlax

Smash Rookie
Read this:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=120198

lol instant fail

AZ, as well as me and pretty much any good player here, just hates this ******** userbase that came along with Brawl.
Golly you're nice. I never knew there was such enmity between a small group of elitists and a large group of so-called "*******." Just so you know, I doubt this website wouldn't be bragging about being the largest online Smash Bros. portal without these "*******," as I also doubt Smash Bros would be such a popular game, enough so for a sequel to be made for your precious Gamecube, again without these "*******."

Don't be blinded by silly dreams of virtual grandeur as to shun those that made you.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
No it won't. It can't. It's not used to playing in a competitive environment under pressure and against some of the best players in the world.

That's why even in professional sports, people who just join the team usually don't perform well in their first few games. You need to practice under the same conditions the professionals do in order to keep up with them. Although that hidden talent may be a fast learner, he'll still get his *** kicked pretty hard for the first few tournaments of his competitive career.

Good point...

Guess it is for the hidden talents benefit that it is not one tournament loss=ultimate failure?

but very good point. I clap.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
And I don't blame the casual scene for standing up for themselves when people like you insult them like you just did.

Honestly, I wish more parts of this board were divided into Casual and Competitive sections seeing as it's very rare that both sides get along.
I didn't say who was making ******** posts. Both groups usually do. The casuals make "lolz no wd=me #1" posts and the "pros" make threads in retaliation or threads about how WDing is "lolz l33t". My whole point is that a large chunk of the Brawl forum posters make stupid threads and that after a while, it gets annoying. Hell, I'm not even a mod and I can't stand the 30+ new daily topics that could have easily been avoided if the creator just used the search button.

So yeah, don't try to make it seem like I'm anti-casuals, because if you read my post, nothing in there even remotely implied that I was.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Oh I had enough, reading the responses in this thread is making me sick. Please read AND comprehend AZ's entire post before spewing out nonsense.

Not possible. They seem to have replaced comprehension with honor and that stuff they try to impose on us.

VA

Smash Hero
EDIT: There is no such thing as undiscovered talent. You get good by playing with good people. If you don't have anyone good around you, then you probably suck.
This comment is completely untrue. I have been training against scrub smashers who can't wavedash or l-cancel since I started using pro techniques. I've played pro people on 4 occasions and yet I'm placing well in UK tournaments, I've been seeded at every one I've attended since my first and would consider myself good.

Scan read the rest of this entry, only saw this part which I totally disagree with.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This thread is a total travesty.

Too much of a gamefaqs look a like in my opinion. I think the Broom should start taking in a lot more people so the random smart people floating around have a plice to hide.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who thought that way.

+10 points.

wavedashing doesn't make you good.

it makes me good.
I enjoyed this. +7 points.

I know more than anything else that life isn't fair. :laugh:

but the point is, that maybe someday down the road, that hidden talent would get a little wad of cash to go to one of the big tournaments, and straight up **** everyone blind.

The argument was people who don't go to tournaments suck, and the rebuttal was, "you can't say they do because you have not fought everyone to make such a broad statement."

Thus, the point of funds and transportation was brought up.

See, it's amazing how quickly people forget basement smashers like Bum and, to a lesser extent, Mew2King and it takes someone at this young man's level of intelligence to remind the rest of these slobs. Wow, you get +15 points, sir.

I think you have a mis-type in the subject line,

It says that this is important.

You must have not meant to put that there, because this thread is anything but that!
+11 points for getting to the point.

Is it legal for this thread to still be open? I'm sure allowing this to remain open is considered a felony in at least three states. Can a mod other than the homo who started this please do their job?

Zink

Smash Champion
You sir, are a *******. By your logic, I'm guessing that the amount of time you have been signed up on the forums determines your skill level at a video game? You couldn't be more wrong. To tell you the truth, I've had Super Smash Bros. Melee ever since the first day it came out, and I learned new advanced techniques as they were being discovered. Oh, but wait! I must suck at the game because I never chose to sign up! Just because I never felt like discussing a video game with random people doesn't mean that I wasn't aware of what was going on. That's the case for some people if you didn't realize that by now. By your logic, you must not be too good at the game yourself, because you've only been signed up since last year. Is that honestly what you believe? That is really ignorant to say. Good job on making a complete fool out of yourself. I hope you're satisfied with that.
see it's junk like this, flaming and raging.
Being a closet smasher is fine and dandy but interaction with pros is a vital part of advancement. This is the largest concentration of tourney level smashers on the net. 2+2=4.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
WDing is out of this game...you know...SSBB? Why are we discussing WDing in a Brawl section o_O
Because some ****** said WD wasn't going to be in SSBB even though he had ZERO evidence, but everyone got pissed and had a casual vs. competitive flamefest.
...Suggestion being just go back to the other SSB sections.

Roarlax

Smash Rookie
It's not hard to see why with everyone being a stupid little *****. Do you see how many ********/whiny topics are created here on a daily basis?
Again, if you dislike everyone, then try not to exploit them by bragging about being the largest online Smash Bros. portal.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Wavedashing has nothing to do with this, scrubs.

His point is that you need EXPERIENCE to be good. You get experience from TOURNAMENTS. If you don't go to tournaments, you have no experience and you suck.

Chances are, if you go to tournaments and are experienced, you will wavedash because you're not a scrub and realize there is no reason not to. That is the only relevance WD has to this topic.

God Bless you, AlphaZealot. I'm sure all the sensible smash players here know what you're talking about.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
They are the minority, on this site and which is about the tournament scene. We don't care about the casual scene at all while they are overly obsessed with us.
"Pros" are the minority in the world.

That pretty much dwarfs what you just said.

So, like I pointed out. That "Anti-WD people being the minority" thing is a load of rubbish.

LouisStevens722

Smash Rookie
I thought mods were supposed to like resolve disputes not start them. I think this is little off the line for someone who is a face of the site. Doesn't McFox specifically state to "be nice to n00bs" in the official guide to posting. A mod of all people should know that.

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
Wow, thank you alphazealot, I agree wholeheartedly. I HATE it when people say "Brawl isn't Melee so stop complaining" or "wave dashing is a glitch that shouldn't be used; it ruins the game".

Sandwich

Smash Ace
His point is that you need EXPERIENCE to be good. You get experience from TOURNAMENTS. If you don't go to tournaments, you have no experience and you suck.
/slight agree
One point there though, is Danny. Danny is a pwn smasher, but he's like seven. You can't expect a seven year old to get to FC or something, even with Parental help.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
"Pros" are the minority in the world.

That pretty much dwarfs what you just said.

So, like I pointed out. That "Anti-WD people being the minority" thing is a load of rubbish.

I don't know about you but I could care less about the other 6-8 million smashers. I'm talking about THIS WEBSITE. NOT THE WORLD.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
If I click this "stop killin ze wulfz plz" petition or whatever it is will it stop flashing?
It's giving me mini-seizures.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Because some ****** said WD wasn't going to be in SSBB even though he had ZERO evidence, but everyone got pissed and had a casual vs. competitive flamefest.
...Suggestion being just go back to the other SSB sections.
Wrong. He had evidence. Then some people reached Stage 1 of the 5 Stages of Grief, and had a casual vs. competitive flamefest.

I don't know about you but I could care less about the other 6-8 million smashers. I'm talking about THIS WEBSITE. NOT THE WORLD.
Good for you.

I was just pointing out that what he said was wrong.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say who was making ******** posts. Both groups usually do. The casuals make "lolz no wd=me #1" posts and the "pros" make threads in retaliation or threads about how WDing is "lolz l33t". My whole point is that a large chunk of the Brawl forum posters make stupid threads and that after a while, it gets annoying. Hell, I'm not even a mod and I can't stand the 30+ new daily topics that could have easily been avoided if the creator just used the search button.

So yeah, don't try to make it seem like I'm anti-casuals, because if you read my post, nothing in there even remotely implied that I was.
Sorry if it seemed like I thought you were only against casuals. I just get upset when I see harsh insults of any kind because that's what usually leads to fighting back, which leads to people fighting back, which leads to people fighting back and I think you get the idea.

DarkPhoenix87

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to know that even 3 years after I stopped coming here regularly, people are still acting as immature and elitist as ever.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Golly you're nice. I never knew there was such enmity between a small group of elitists and a large group of so-called "*******." Just so you know, I doubt this website wouldn't be bragging about being the largest online Smash Bros. portal without these "*******," as I also doubt Smash Bros would be such a popular game, enough so for a sequel to be made for your precious Gamecube, again without these "*******."

Don't be blinded by silly dreams of virtual grandeur as to shun those that made you.
There's a difference between a casual gamer and a "******." Casual gamers are the majority of the userbase, but not all casuals are stupid. The people here aren't really casual gamers anyway. Actually they are almost like hardcore gamers. That's why they are on an online forum discussing video games in the first place. Just about all casual gamers do not do that. Even the entirety of the smashboards userbase is by a LONGSHOT the minority of smashers, so I don't get what you are trying to say.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Threadstarter and everyone who is sucking up to him: get over yourself. I know you are trying to make a valid point, but you don't have to be a gigantic ***** about it. The thread was more than a little immature and if a regular member had said it, he would have been flamed and got the thread closed.

This is like saying that everybody sucks at soccer except people who have won the FIFA World Cup. Just because you aren't one of the <1% who places well in important tournaments, doesn't mean you're awful at the game.

I know that people like Alpha Zealot are frustrated with some of the extreme n00bishness displayed by some casual players, but what do you think makes them so pissed off at the tournament scene? Attitudes like this. Just chill out. It's not your problem that not everybody is willing/able to pour as much time and effort into Smash as the "good" players.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
I've got a feeling that ya shouldn't have put this up here, its seemed to have p*ssed everyone off. I mean everyone.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
Holy Crap, why is everyone so angry? Brawl has been tested by the public for less than a day. New exploits will be found eventually and there will be really good players while others will play the game purely for enjoyment. Every fighting game has tricky sh*t to be found eventually. It might not be wavedashing, but I'm sure something new and exciting will come up.

Fletch

Smash Master
As much as I never wanted to ever post in the Brawl boards...

Everything AlphaZealot said is 100% right. AZ has been around/played this game longer than a lot of members on this board, and is a moderator for a reason. I notice pretty much everyone arguing against this post has a join date pretty much within the last couple months... why don't you just listen to the more experienced players who have been around the smash scene longer than you have instead of arguing against something you do not know about? Learn to play the game, go to a couple tournaments and get destroyed, then maybe your opinion will be a little more respectful. Until then, listen to the more experienced players, they know what they are talking about and you can learn from them.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
He did?
Didn't see that.
Momentum Air-Dodge
Confirmed
Description: All the directional air-dodges are not really directional but are based on the previous momentum of the character on screen.
  • In the MTV Demonstration Video Part 2 at 1:50. Look at Diddy Kong. He's DI'ing to the right. This means he's pressing right on the control stick. Then he dodges, but he goes in the same momentum as he always was, there is no air-dodge push to the right. Since there is no increase in speed from his dodge, this will make wavedashing impossible, since there would be no "push" which is necessary for the character to slide across the ground.
  • In the MTV Demonstration Video Part 1 at 2:01 Link does a downward airdodge. Look at the player's hands. He presses down to make Link dodge down. It could be the case that it was just a force of habit of his and it press down did nothing.
There you go.

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
Yknow how right AZ is? 100%. The people who are whining in this topic about him being wrong are the people who have the least right to talk about any advanced techs because they JUST JOINED THE BOARDS BECAUSE OF BRAWL AND/OR NINTENDO POWER.

Actually, smashboards has been the biggest smash forum for quite a long time, but keep thinking you're good for the board!

I look at people with 7,000 posts and a june 2007 join date that hae 413 posts per day who apparently never stop checking the brawl boards giving out advice and saying "waah, WD isn't in brawl and I was just starting to understand how to do it!" These people make me angry, because they know even LESS than me. and that's tough.

All of these people saying "I never knew how to wavedash or short hop but I'll still pwn u!" Are even more wrong than the scumbags trying to give out advice. Go to a **** tournament, learn about how the game works and how balance is. Play against M2K, play PC, play good people, understand why they're good, and why wavedashing is useful, without using the word "mindgames" or "spacing". I bet you can't.

So allow me, someone who knows what he is talking about to say Yes, you DO suck at smash.
Thank you AZ for this post.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I know that people like Alpha Zealot are frustrated with some of the extreme n00bishness displayed by some casual players, but what do you think makes them so pissed off at the tournament scene? Attitudes like this. Just chill out. It's not your problem that not everybody is willing/able to pour as much time and effort into Smash as the "good" players.
I don't think that anyone here has a problem with the fact that a lot of people here suck at Smash. We were all there at one point remember. What we have a problem with is that people are just being ignorant, and also that people who suck think they are good. For some reason almost everyone here thinks that using adv. techs makes you good.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to know that even 3 years after I stopped coming here regularly, people are still acting as immature and elitist as ever.

it's so true haha.

I wish people would just play the game and have fun. because everyone knows talking crap on the internet amounts to **** in the real wold. Especially if it's about a video game.

ArachnoKeegan

Smash Rookie
Well, i think WDing isnt all that great
i know how to do it and L-canceling and some other stuff
i rarely do it but i l-cancel alotttt
i think brawl would be fine without it
i mean its not like people cant win without it
if u absolutely need WDing to win thats sad, IMO
tourny wise, ive never been to one, ive didnt even know they had tournaments lol
but i'd for sure say im of tourny level.
ive seen all the vids of tournaments on youtube and all that
and you dont need tournaments to get better, because me and my friends just play alot.
we do 1v1 tourny style(5 live no items) we watch videos on the net to see how to improve and i think we could do pretty well in a tourny.

but anywayz, if all those advanced techs are out, which i dont think all of them will be, it will be just fine.
it will makes all the "pros" have to get better without using crazy advanced techs
it will be a new challenge to overcome.
maybe you'll do better with WDing and stuff
brawl shouldnt be exactly the same as melee with w/more stuff
it should be a brand new game to learn and master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom