• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcing Retirement+giving up rights to both the guide and this thread

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
This is important for some to know which stages to choose and which to not so there is a higher success rate for Mario users in tourneys. I want ur opinionsand to also discuss which stages NOT to pick that are legal neutrals or counterpicks in tourneys.
Stages to choose vs. Diddy kong: Battlefield, Yoshi's island brawl, norfair, frigate orpheon, rainbow cruise, and lylat cruise, pokemon stadiums 1 and 2.
Stages not to choose: luigi's mansion and final destination.
Stages to choose vs. Ice Climbers: Norfair, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Battlefield, Lylat, and other stages with platforms without walkoffs?
Stage not to choose: Final Destination
Stages to choose vs Fox: Rainbow Cruise, Frigate Orpheon, Smashville?, Yoshi's Island (brawl) and... norfair perhaps.
Stages not to choose: Final Destination
Stages to choose vs. kirby: Final destination and battlefield.
stages not to choose: jungle japes, pirate ship, and brinstar.
Stages to choose vs Marth: Delfino, Yoshi Island, Final Destination, Frigate, and Rainbow Cruise
Not to choose: Battlefield and Lylat Cruise
Stages to choose vs. Mr. Game & Watch: Final Destination, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Norfair, and maybe pokemon stadium1
Stages not to choose: rainbow cruise...
Stages to choose vs. R.O.B.: Battlefield, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Lylat Cruise, Brinstar?, Halberd?
Not to choose: Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Final Destination?
Stages to choose vs. Toon Link: Battlefield, Luigi’s Mansion, Lylat Cruise, and Rainbow Cruise.
Stages not to choose: Pirate ship, Jungle Japes, Yoshi’s Island Melee, and Final Destination.
Stages to choose vs Zero Suit Samus: RAINBOW CRUISE, frigate orpheon, port town (if tourney allows), FD, SV?
Stages not to choose: yoshi's island brawl, halberd, NORFAIR, Battlefield

Matt07

Smash Master
Posted this at the Metaknight forums. Hopefully they reply back and we can get some good info on what stages to ban/counterpick.

Anyways I prefer FD because Metaknight can abuse platforms better then Mario, IN MY OPINION. I still would fight a Metaknight of Battlefield but I'd prefer FD more slightly.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
There is no bad stage for MK ]:
It would be better for you to cp somewhere you are good at that gives you the best chance to win.
Mine are delfino and luigis and I know those are good stages for MK but like I said there are no BAD stages for MK.
Go with a cp you like/are good at

Tlmab

Smash Cadet
There is no bad stage for MK ]:
It would be better for you to cp somewhere you are good at that gives you the best chance to win.
Mine are delfino and luigis and I know those are good stages for MK but like I said there are no BAD stages for MK.
Go with a cp you like/are good at
I agree so FD is good enough for mario cause platform gives MK an advantage.

Matt07

Smash Master
.Tero replied to my thread, and showed me another thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209291) that were bad stages for Metaknight.

Most said Green Greens was a bad stage due to the very slow ceiling, and a few others. We should see what they consider bad stages, and how they can benifit us more then the opponent. It seems some don't like Pirate Ship...and who would except a Mario to go there :laugh:.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm, thanks for your input.

Okay so how does Mario fare on Green Greens? I never really fought on this stage too much :urg:. Small blastzones are a major plus, like you prob K.O at around 70% with an up smash, or fsmash. But what do you guys think?

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Hmm, thanks for your input.

Okay so how does Mario fare on Green Greens? I never really fought on this stage too much :urg:. Small blastzones are a major plus, like you prob K.O at around 70% with an up smash, or fsmash. But what do you guys think?
Yeah, a good move to use here is usmash. I never fought here much myself, so I dunno much lol

Just practice on it a lot. Then when you pick it, the MK will be less experienced on it and you will be the experienced one.

JumpMan_Punk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a good move to use here is usmash. I never fought here much myself, so I dunno much lol

Just practice on it a lot. Then when you pick it, the MK will be less experienced on it and you will be the experienced one.
Isn't Green Greens Banned? It should the best stage your most comfortable with as counterpick. Since alot of mk mains want u want to be uncomfortable while fighting them. Also counter picking a stage against mk is not as good cause he has the most advantage on everyboard. Personally I would choose I would Pokemon Stadium1. When I fight on that stage it feels like fighting marth with tornado.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Here in FL (Orlando, at least) both Green Greens and Corneria are banned. Pirate ship may be my best chance. :urg:

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol, I was actually thinking of FD being a bad stage to take Bowser because of his amazing grab release game, and platforms like Battlefield can help you avoid his amazing grabs.

But you play Boozer so you should know better then I.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
Lol, I was actually thinking of FD being a bad stage to take Bowser because of his amazing grab release game, and platforms like Battlefield can help you avoid his amazing grabs.

But you play Boozer so you should know better then I.
actually i don't use bowser anymore. i quit him along with everyone else i used a long time ago. i only use mario bros. now.

JumpMan_Punk

Smash Journeyman
I use bowser and vs mario um can pretty much say he can combo the crap out of bowser in most of the stage maps except for Smashville, FD, and Pokemon Stadium 1

iMichael

Smash Lord
lol it's f***ing Bowser...do we really need to discuss this one? Any stage is good....just **** him. Now if this was Melee it would be different. Bowser is trash.

Tlmab

Smash Cadet
wow... harsh but true, bowser is just not good to fight against our Mr. mustachio, and most of the characters in the game. I suggest that you switch to other character.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
lol you obviously havent played a good boozer. it's almost like 50-50
I'd say 55:45 Mario at least, but yeah, Bowser can be a handful if you never seen a good one. And even then, it's hard for Mario to get inside.

Bowser's grab game is balls-off-the-wall good.

Matt07

Smash Master
I also think Bowser would live up too 200%+ percent on easily Luigi's Mansion, which could leave us in a bad position. Rainbow Cruise would be my #1, but if they ban RC uh oh.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
lol it's f***ing Bowser...do we really need to discuss this one? Any stage is good....just **** him. Now if this was Melee it would be different. Bowser is trash.
Not sure how you can say Bowser was better in melee than he is in brawl, that's ridiculous. Bowser has an answer for almost everything, and the only thing about Mario that even intimidates me is his utilt and the cape when I am recovering. Aside from his fsmash, Mario has a hard time killing the heavy Bowser until very high percentages. Aaanyways..

Stay away from Norfair, and Corneria or really any map with low ceilings, if a map has low ceilings, Bowser's uair, utilt, usmash, fortress, dsmash, bowsa bomb (and dash attack?) can all kill you pretty easily.

I would also stay away from battlefield and FD, to be honest with you.

One that might work is Yoshi's Island. Due to the shape of the main part of the map, he can't bair-spike you while you're hanging, but you could just cape him if he tried anyway so I'm not sure if a Mario would care.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I read as dtilt so i was like LOL wtf? Really? Boozer has hard time with projectiles and I'm pretty sure if Mario SHs/full hops his fireballs inteingentlly they're abit troublesome for teh rival =/ and upair binds **** him but not if you use it as a approach (duh oos upblol)

Also if Boozer touchs Mario's shield he'll be eating a upb too as well

you guise still have todiscuss boozer in our matchup thread lol

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No we don't. We still have to discuss Pending on our match-up thread.

***** just won't go away. :(

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Our forward tilt is able to clank with your fireballs, if we don't powershield like we should.

Also, to make this on topic, FD for Mario = Good. Norfair for MArio = Bad.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Our forward tilt is able to clank with your fireballs, if we don't powershield like we should.

Also, to make this on topic, FD for Mario = Good. Norfair for MArio = Bad.
you forgot to mention jab since it comes out faster (boozer main here too lol).

flat stages = **** platform stages = mario getting *****

wow i never seen this before. most of the time mario would be ****** majority on platforms lawlz.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Mario has always won against bower. Except maybe on super mario bros when Bowser throws a gajillion hammers at you.

AHHHHH!

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, that sounds good. But I think Smashville is a neutral stage for both of them, and perhaps Luigi's Mansion?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Luigi's Mansion? Fireballs won't work so well there. On the other hand, you really don't need to reply on fireballs to take Bowser down. For me, I'd take him to Battlefield and just uair him if he gets on the platforms. Also, Mario has more options to punish Bowser underneath the platforms than Boswer due to uair, bair, and dair. Even so, Bowser can cause trouble underneath the platforms as well. Other than that, it's overall neutral. How about taking Bowser to Rainbow Cruise? Not a lot of people pick that stage.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Yea, that sounds good. But I think Smashville is a neutral stage for both of them, and perhaps Luigi's Mansion?
didnt we already discuss luigi's mansion vs bowser. Bowser has an advantage with the low ceilings letting him survive to high percents.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ooh yea. My bad, but I thought it's so easy to pull off a jab lock it might be a neutral.

Lol, I take everyone to Rainbow Cruise, best CP ever for me.

Top Bottom