• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcing Retirement+giving up rights to both the guide and this thread

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Yeah Luigi's Mansion is a pretty unwise CP...

When I play there I'm usually inside the mansion waiting for you to make a move if you start to destroy the Mansion I usually Dsmash/C4 right under the lower level pillars and wait for you to go to those...

if people want a demonstration I'll do a few wifi matches with them...

Veggi

Smash Champion
Camp with grenades and space with ftilt?

owait

Anyway, about DK, he can dtilt semi infinite against the walls on Rainbow Cruise. I missed that discussion, so just throwing that out there.

napZzz

Smash Hero
do NOT choose battlefield vs. snake. yuck.

As for pro stages I'm not really sure.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Rainbow Cruise is not the best stage against Snake. I'm starting to realize a lot of Snake players are owning me there :(.
I was going to make a thread about this on our own boards, I don't think Rainbow Cruise is actually too bad a Snake stage barring you're not facing MK or ROB with their ridiculous recoveries and gimping ability. Not to say Mario doesn't have that, but not the style they have.

Stages, I would say avoid the low ceilings, and avoid platforms. I can't think of any particular stage that would necessarily help Mario off the top of my head, but Jungle Japes would be good if you can find a way around Snake's camping, because caping/other gimp tactics can cause various errors in recovery if the snake player is being careless and cyphering the wrong way after being caped and landing in water will probably kill the snake player.

And where can I get my cookie at?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario doesn't really have trouble against Snake's camping or stage control; it's Snake's superior ground and anti-air game that makes this match-up tough for Mario.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I would say avoid the low ceilings, and avoid platforms
Mario doesn't exactly have good killing power...I ban Yoshi's every time considering it takes forever for Mario to kill anyone due to a higher ceiling and ect. ...and avoid platforms? The only levels with out platforms are FD which is not great in the Mario v Snake match-up...Mario needs platforms for this match to get Snake into the air and I guess Luigi's Mansion if you destroy everything...but if I'm CPing Luigi's Mansion I might as well go Snake myself

edit:...Just sayin'

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hmm... I was going to recommend Jungle Japes so that Snake can't get utilt kills quickly, but that stage isn't legal in all regions. Norfair is likely your best bet.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Hmm... I was going to recommend Jungle Japes so that Snake can't get utilt kills quickly, but that stage isn't legal in all regions. Norfair is likely your best bet.
Japes sucks for Mario anyway.

and who says Mario can't gimp snake? Mario's Fair is your most important tool when gimping snake. A good strategy would be getting offstage then quickly capitalizing to Fair him. He'd be in a very bad position under the stage leaving you to either Fair him again off his cypher or bair stage spike him as he is elevating.

As for stages. Battlefield works for me all the time. Just don't get your self caught on a platform. Online is an exception. Since getting off platforms online is difficult. It wouldn't be hard offline at all.

But if that doesn't work. Just learn rob. =/

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
What's up with everyone saying Norfair is a good stage against Snake?? That's one of Snake's best stages IMO. Another good stage for Snake is Brinstar. I've never fought a good Mario on Brinstar, but I'm guessing Snake would **** him there, just like most other characters :laugh:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
What's up with everyone saying Norfair is a good stage against Snake?? That's one of Snake's best stages IMO. Another good stage for Snake is Brinstar. I've never fought a good Mario on Brinstar, but I'm guessing Snake would **** him there, just like most other characters :laugh:
Wow...screw you too then.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
That is referring specifically to brinstar, not the matchup in general. That stage is my favorite snake stage by far. He has so many tricks he can use on that stage, it's not even funny. No need to get all upset over it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
"Snake would **** him there, just like most other characters"...

I figured you meant just like how most other characters **** Mario. I must've mistook you for one of the high tier bigots.

Honestly I wouldn't know how either party would do on Norfair or Brinstar. I usually ban Norfair if I'm not banning Japes, and I never play Brinstar.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
i would love to help but bo x7 never uses mario against me.. and neither did 1der when i played him.. so yeah good luck. :x

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Despite it not being a great Mario stage, Japes seems to be a better stage for him than for Snake. I'm by no means a great Mario player, but that's probably where I'd take a Snake player.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I usually just choose FD against Snake since his stage control is a lot more manageable there.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm biased against FD because the TV I play on at school is so dark I can't see C4 on that stage... (so yeah, not really sure how Snake would really do on that stage.)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah...I don't like platforms vs Snake...

FD is probably where I'd take him. If not there, then Frigate.

Matt07

Smash Master
i am to say 75 m for mario. i am best mario ever and i always win there.
75m is not a very good stage for Mario. It's very very hard to 'gimp' characters there with the Cape, and with all the platforms and obstacles this can make it very hard for Mario to deal with camping.

I never fight on 75m though because it's banned, so I may just suck fighting on that stage.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
75m is not a very good stage for Mario. It's very very hard to 'gimp' characters there with the Cape, and with all the platforms and obstacles this can make it very hard for Mario to deal with camping.

I never fight on 75m though because it's banned, so I may just suck fighting on that stage.
not to mention the ladders. doesn't let u up air in certain places X_X
i am to say 75 m for mario. i am best mario ever and i always win there.
o rly. besides the discussion is for tournament play only. no stages on ban list, so nothing like hyrule temple or summit or any weird stages like that. i even put that its for neutrals/cp's only in the description...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Frigate's bad for ZSS right? Low ceiling makes Usmash an even more viable kill move, and no ledge for tether on the right side of the stage.

Not sure what I'd ban. Either Yoshi's or Halberd most likely.

Matt07

Smash Master
I ban Yoshi's against a lot of characters, takes forever to land an usmash kill >_>.

Edit: ZSS Rainbow Cruise would be kinda good since her tether is useless on that stage once your off the ship.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Question: Wouldn't YI(Melee) be good vs ZSS? I find that stage very effective since the blocks tend to help with combos, and the small sides/cielings will help considering her light weight.

I'd put Corneria on there for the same reasons (close sides and ease of combos, not to mention UpB ***** under the wing.).

I'd probably ban BF against ZSS TBH. Her whip ***** you very well through those platforms, and she can do some nasty stuff with that UpB under the middle platform (heh, it chains on Falco, though I don't know how it affects Mario.).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Go to Rainbow Cruise, ban Norfair.

Rainbow Cruise, it's REALLY hard for her to recover. Well...not that it's easy for Mario to recover here either, but he's hurt MUCH less by this stage. The lack of any ledges most of the time means her recovery becomes much more predictable and gimpable.

Norfair however...you're like not gimping her at all. And she's really scary good at juggling.

Oh yeah, and I'd avoid Japes...for similar reasons to Norfair, except less worried about juggling but more worried about not killing her vertically at all.

I dunno what else is good against ZSS.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
True true... I'm just annoyed they're allowed where I live. Anyway... enough derailing of the subject...

Yeah, RC is a good stage vs her. Is JJ good against her? I mean, I know Mario's not that great there, but I'm just throwing it out there.

What about PTAD? There are no edges there and the cars kill insanely early (Might even OHKO on ZSS), as well as the floor dealing a lot of damage (I still have trouble believing that one is legal...).

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
True true... I'm just annoyed they're allowed where I live. Anyway... enough derailing of the subject...

Yeah, RC is a good stage vs her. Is JJ good against her? I mean, I know Mario's not that great there, but I'm just throwing it out there.

What about PTAD? There are no edges there and the cars kill insanely early (Might even OHKO on ZSS), as well as the floor dealing a lot of damage (I still have trouble believing that one is legal...).
Port Town should be banned...

Top Bottom