• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It's pretty hilarious that people think Ike will get cut. Fire Emblem is a huge popular franchise, there is no need to cut anyone.

:phone:
Well, to be fair, most people here are looking at FE from a western perspective, where FE isn't nearly as popular as it is in Japan.

D

Deleted member

The problem is, with a Western perspective, removing Ike is STILL foolish. He's like THE Western representative character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, to be fair, most people here are looking at FE from a western perspective, where FE isn't nearly as popular as it is in Japan.
If people were looking at it through a solely western perspective, why wouldn't they request Ike? Both his games have been released here, and he's appeared in a previous Smash, where FE characters get the most exposure in the west. In the west, he is one of the most popular FE characters overall (possibly only second to Marth). If anything, they wouldn't request the character that has yet to make a western appearance.

It's probably in Japan where Ike wouldn't get as many requests, not outside it. There, Roy and Krom are more popular, and a decent amount of people are expecting Ike to be cut (though he most likely won't be). However, even there the reasonable people are only predicting 3 FE characters, even if FE is alot more popular.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I never meant to suggest that Ike getting cut made sense, just that most SSB fans in the west have a very limited understanding of the franchise because the series isn't very popular here.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I never meant to suggest that Ike getting cut made sense, just that most SSB fans in the west have a very limited understanding of the franchise because the series isn't very popular here.
Fair enough, but even then it would seem like Marth, Ike, and Roy (in that order) would have the most popularity and requests for Smash, as those three are the FE characters the west is most familiar with, not Krom. Even when his game comes out here, he won't be as popular among the general gamer as the other three are. The only way he could reach that level in the west is if he is included in Smash 4, which obviously won't affect his popularity beforehand.

But the FE characters in general are popular among people who play Smash, so even if not that many people are as familar with them outside of Smash, they still receive positive reception. Plus most people are against cuts in general, especially if the character is unique and fairly popular. Even if Ike was cut for whatever reason, and even if not that many people were familiar with him from his actual FE games, there would still be alot of backlash, even if Krom was added.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With Krom it'll probably just be Sakurai deciding whether or not he'll add anything to game, is he a good ft for Smash, is he actually wanted (not expected), and whether or not he thinks the West will warm up to him ala Roy in Melee.

As a side note, with Ike, he's arguably the most popular Lord at the moment if you head out and visit some FE sites. He placed high on that one Japanese poll beating even Marth and despite being the least relevant. IS didn't forget about him in FE13 either.

I severally doubt he'll be cut especially when we've got a better bet at getting 3 FE characters. With Roy though, Krom's on an even playing field with him.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
Right now, I think FE is just right with 2 reps, I don't think we need 4 or even 3. That being said, I think Marth and Krom will be the ones in the game. Sakurai may see it differently (because he did plan Roy for SSBB), but I just can't see FE getting 3 reps, right now anyway. I think when the SSB roster starts getting really big we'll see more reps from FE.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Right now, I think FE is just right with 2 reps, I don't think we need 4 or even 3. That being said, I think Marth and Krom will be the ones in the game. Sakurai may see it differently (because he did plan Roy for SSBB), but I just can't see FE getting 3 reps, right now anyway. I think when the SSB roster starts getting really big we'll see more reps from FE.
With at least 13 games, FE is one of Nintendo's oldest and biggest franchises. It's also one of the most popular, at least in Japan. If Star Fox(which has only had about 6 games) can get 3 reps, then so can Fire Emblem.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Even if Ike was cut for whatever reason, and even if not that many people were familiar with him from his actual FE games, there would still be alot of backlash, even if Krom was added.
Defiantly. As a general rule, people hate cuts.

With Krom it'll probably just be Sakurai deciding whether or not he'll add anything to game, is he a good ft for Smash, is he actually wanted (not expected), and whether or not he thinks the West will warm up to him ala Roy in Melee.

As a side note, with Ike, he's arguably the most popular Lord at the moment if you head out and visit some FE sites. He placed high on that one Japanese poll beating even Marth and despite being the least relevant. IS didn't forget about him in FE13 either.

I severally doubt he'll be cut especially when we've got a better bet at getting 3 FE characters. With Roy though, Krom's on an even playing field with him.
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that Krom is the most popular lord at the moment or is Roy? I couldn't understand who you were referring too.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that Krom is the most popular lord at the moment or is Roy? I couldn't understand who you were referring too.
I didn't mean that in terms of popularity, but more in general. Krom is fresh, new and could offer a lot to the game. Roy has experience, but has a lot of uncertainly towards him. Both seem to be fan favorties (but each for different reasons) at the moment too. I'm kinda seeing it as a 50/50 tie between them getting in.

That said, I'm still betting on Roy for the 3rd FE spot. Stubborn.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I just wanna say I know nothing of Krom but that'll change once I get the new FE game

but as for SSB I am against him. As a FE fan I'd like a non swordsman to represent the francise along with Marth and/or Ike. So maybe a secondary main character in the game that doesn't use bows but it still major and popular(like Soren) would be a better idea in my opinion.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
It's gotta be main character, or then we would have a secondary character representing a series. That only works if the main character is already a part of the game. Also, if Soren is added, then we would have 2 characters from Ike's series. Great a character as he is, that would cut out other series within the series that doint have characters, like Roy/Eliwood/Lyn/Hector, Eirika/Ephraim, and the otehr japanese only games that i know very little about. WHich is also my issue with krom, no matter how awesome he may be.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
That isn't much of an issue since the game will most likely be here before Smash gets here or within that year.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
That isn't much of an issue since the game will most likely be here before Smash gets here or within that year.
Is this in response to me? I don't understand.
I'm saying Krom is from Marth's universe. It;s not as much of a problem because it's a future time, but I'd still rather see 7, Sacred Stones and other universes represented before 2 from one realm.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm saying Krom is from Marth's universe. It;s not as much of a problem because it's a future time, but I'd still rather see 7, Sacred Stones and other universes represented before 2 from one realm.
Don't forget the Jugdral games. It's the only FE "saga" with two+ games that hasn't been repped in Smash at all. Plus, I think FE 4 is considered the best/most important game in the Western fanbase.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget the Jugdral games. It's the only FE "saga" with two+ games that hasn't been repped in Smash at all. Plus, I think FE 4 is considered the best/most important game in the Western fanbase.
Yes! A series like that!! That's what I meant by other because I don't know anything about games before 7 (other than marth's series), so that would be perfect!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My bad. I totally forgot Marth and Krom are in the same universe. I somehow thought you were saying that we'd get another Ike universe character cause the newest game isn't here yet. I don't know how I misinterpreted that. But yes I agree that Fire Emblem needs diverse representation.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
My bad. I totally forgot Marth and Krom are in the same universe. I somehow thought you were saying that we'd get another Ike universe character cause the newest game isn't here yet. I don't know how I misinterpreted that. But yes I agree that Fire Emblem needs diverse representation.
hey, no problem! Yeah I don't want double universe representation

splat

Smash Lord
I did a quick research and I read that the Jugdral, Archanea and Barensia continents supposedly are all combined in one timeline, featuring FE I, II, III, IV, V, XI, XII and XII.
Then there's the Elibe timeline, with the FE VI and VII games.
Followed by the Magvel timeline, which was only in VIII.
Last there's Tellius, games IX and X.

We had Marth from the first and Ike from the last in Brawl. I'd say, timeline wise, that Roy should be the one to return as he's the most likely candidate from Elibe. Other picks would be Eirika or Ephraim from Magvel.

I think it's a tough cookie between Roy and Chrom. Roy has sweet, sweet sentimental smash value, while I think Chrom is more of a bad *** that Roy is.

D

Deleted member

I keep seeing that Krom is apparently really popular, so I will ask what everybody who hasn't played Kakusei wants to know; what really sets him apart from Ike (aside from the lance; Ike has an axe he doesn't use) in terms of fighting techniques and style?
What makes him not an Ike 2.0?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I keep seeing that Krom is apparently really popular, so I will ask what everybody who hasn't played Kakusei wants to know; what really sets him apart from Ike (aside from the lance; Ike has an axe he doesn't use) in terms of fighting techniques and style?
What makes him not an Ike 2.0?
I'd like to know this too.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
As would I. People keep saying he'll either replace Ike or keep Roy from coming back, but I see no reason for him to appear aside from "oh he's the newest." IMHO Hector, Lyn , and Micaiah would be more interesting 'new" characters .

Not that I'd be angry if he did appear, I just think there are better choices.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Guys don't forget that Path of Radiance was the first Fire Emblem that was made with westerns in mind....so I blieve to Int Sys intended that true exposure of the series in the west will be PoR, which is Ike's game...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Could be, but Ike was also heavily requested by fans. Moreso than other Fire Emblem characters, and the Japanese really don't seem to like Lyn. Besides, FE7 starred 3 Lords. Eliwood wouldn't bring much extra to the table seeing how he's Roy's father (and has a horse lol) and Hector MIGHT lack some story-importance as he isn't the first lord you control and appears later than Lyn and Eliwood. So maybe Sakurai had trouble deciding between Ike and Lyn?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The latest Nintendo Direct revealed that Fire Emblem: Awakening will be coming to the US. Also, it's been revealed that "Chrom" is the English name for the main character.

D

Deleted member

Oh, Nintendo Direct revealed it'd be coming to US?

(If you don't get it, I'm being a smartass. Reggie already mentioned it at E3.)

Though yeah, they did confirm "Chrom", pronounced "Krahm" rather than like the word "chrome".

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh, Nintendo Direct revealed it'd be coming to US?

(If you don't get it, I'm being a smartass. Reggie already mentioned it at E3.)

Though yeah, they did confirm "Chrom", pronounced "Krahm" rather than like the word "chrome".
Slowpoke reporting news that's a week old? BLASPHEMY!

At least, we can assure that the remaining news are at least one month old...

Chrom's chances really boosted with Awakening's localization... if Smash keeps the trend of having Marth and the main character from the most recent game, we might see Ike leave to favor Chrom, but who knows?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm actually starting to get more confident in Chrom's chances now that I can experience his game in the near future and see him in action. Look's like Mike & Ike is going to get the boot. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Yes, because Chrom and Ike CLEARLY can't be in the same game.
Because CLEARLY, Roy was replaced for Ike; Roy's absence had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with time issues.
And CLEARLY, Chrom is just like Ike.
:rolleyes:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*Skull Kid laugh* I can't believe that you fell for it, Golden. If I put a trollface instead of a smirkface, then you could have gotten that it was a joke. XD

Why would I want my boy and trump card in Wi-Fi battles (Ike) to get cut? We can have a 3 blue haired swordsmen in the main roster and flame boy (Roy) can wind up as DLC since I think 4 Fire Emblem characters in the main/in-game roster would be too much. Besides, I want to see Chrom in 1080p greatness and duke it out with Ikie. I just don't see what's with everyone not liking the idea of more than 2 blue haired swordman since you GOT to have blue hair (courtesy of TV Tropes). ;)

In the wise words of Eggman: "You know what they say, the more the merrior!" :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
*Skull Kid laugh* I can't believe that you fell for it, Golden. If I put a trollface instead of a smirkface, then you could have gotten that it was a joke. XD

Why would I want my boy and trump card in Wi-Fi battles (Ike) to get cut? We can have a 3 blue haired swordsmen in the main roster and flame boy (Roy) can wind up as DLC since I think 4 Fire Emblem characters in the main/in-game roster would be too much. Besides, I want to see Chrom in 1080p greatness and duke it out with Ikie. I just don't see what's with everyone not liking the idea of more than 2 blue haired swordman since you GOT to have blue hair (courtesy of TV Tropes). ;)

In the wise words of Eggman: "You know what they say, the more the merrior!" :awesome:
This post made me laugh so hard :laugh:

Chrom seems cool, definitely wouldn't mind having him in the game

He can't replace Ike though

Can't get jiggy with that

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Yes, because Chrom and Ike CLEARLY can't be in the same game.
Because CLEARLY, Roy was replaced for Ike; Roy's absence had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with time issues.
And CLEARLY, Chrom is just like Ike.
:rolleyes:
This.

I figured this thread should be brought back because I am rather curious how everyone feels specifically about Chrom. I haven't gotten to play Awakening fully yet (I want it so bad!!!) But so many people have said he should replace Ike, even when I mention Roy has a strong chance of returning, and that characters shouldn't be cut, they don't change their minds.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
During the demo, I wasn't a huge fan of him. But, Chrom grew on me as I went through the game (and continue going through it). I would like to see him in. There's plenty of things that could differentiate him from Ike. Ike could get his down-B (or something else, like a taunt) changed to switch Ragnell with an axe, while Chrom has the same with a spear. Both get a different moveset this way (Chrom's sword moveset is a semi-clone of Ike, with faster attacks and different specials minus weapon change). We also finish the weapons triangle this way, killing two birds with one stone.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any of the characters should be cut. If Ike and Chrom turn out too similar to one another, Ike could easily be changed to the super strong FE character that focuses on keeping his opponents on the ground with heavy downward strikes and and spikes. Chrom for sure from what I've seen in Awakening would be using a a lot of uppercut slashes, thus focusing on air juggling.

Also there's the complaint that both have Aether... I haven't played the Radiance games, but I'm sure Aether in Brawl is similar to what Ike does in those games? Chrom's Aether would work better as a side special, doing a light uppercut slash, a short hop backwards, and then thrusting straight through the opponent. The two are not very similar if you ask me...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Been saying since the day I first saw him that Chrom would definitely get into Smash 4. Hopefully he won't replace Ike though.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
theres enough room for both Ike and Chrom. i see the most likely outcome to be Marth, Ike, and Chrom with Roy joining if there is enough time to get him in. i think of all the series FE can warrant 4 characters now.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I defiantly see Marth, Ike, and Chrom.
Marth is like. The face of Fire Emblem arguably. I think his character should change though, not only his design to fit the one in awakening, but I think he should be more of a quick slash character, only a bit slower than Meta Knight. His luck stat is also like superman high, so he should be very agile and fast.
Ike is the powerhouse of the fire emblem reps. Perhaps make him a bit faster, but other than that and some move set changes he's good.
Chrom is also a powerhouse, but he's not nearly as slow as Ike. But for balancing don't make him as strong as he was in his game, perhaps the strength of C. Falcon or a bit better. And he's not amazingly fast, but please god don't make him move like ganondorf, because it seems like that's what they did to Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom