• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm really hoping all 4 make it in. Fire Emblem has become a much more popular series than it once was, and has become much more widespread.

If the engine for Brawl is indeed transferred over, I feel as if Roy (and Mewtwo) are basically a sure thing. Hopefully from the time saved from this, Chrom can also be included. As far as him being similar to Ike, the way I see it, Mario and Luigi are different from one another even though they have similar moves. Chrom is essentially Luigi to Ike as far his playstyle could work. Just my thoughts on that.

To be honest I was thinking of making a Chrom thread, but I realized this was made.

-Marth (Shadow Dragon)
-Chrom (Awakening)
-My Unit (Robin) / Micaiah (Awakening/Radiant Dawn)
-Ike (Radiant Dawn)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
-Marth (Shadow Dragon)
-Chrom (Awakening)
-My Unit (Robin) / Micaiah (Awakening/Radiant Dawn)
-Ike (Radiant Dawn)
I suppose I could get behind that. Still, don't really like the idea of the Tactican / My Unit. Would prefer Roy or even Lucina.

All sword users are different in playstyles.
I know, and it is not like I don't want more sword users because I do, but they should be from other franchises as well (and give Fire Emblem the chance to breath a bit).

Characters such as Isa/Saki, Matthew/Isaac, Ghirahim, Magnus, Shulk, Aeron, Zael, Takamaru, etc.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Magic is an Iconic and very important aspect of Fire Emblem. Why would you not want a magic user?

D

Deleted member

Magic is an Iconic and very important aspect of Fire Emblem. Why would you not want a magic user?
Well if we're going to get one, I'd rather see Leaf with his Master Knight class weapons (he's got a lot of them). Of course that will never happen since Sakurai supposedly sees him as a clone (source not confirmed, take with a grain of salt) and even if he doesn't, his time has passed to get in.

Plus I don't care if a character has swords or not, just as long as they make Roy and/or Chrom a worthwhile addition. They'll be semi-clones, but Sakurai does have a fondness for Fire Emblem, so I can see him working something out. And lets face it, move set potentials (and before you ask, a character can be unique while still sharing moves with other characters) rarely makes a difference in who gets in (Ice Climbers being the only exception I can think of).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I read Gingerbread Man's FE reasoning.
All I have to say that at least IntSys treats Lyn as more important than Eliwood or Hector. She was the only one to get a DLC redesign.

On a side note, I found it quite funny that he put the reasoning in collapse tags with "Read at your own risk".

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I read Gingerbread Man's FE reasoning.
All I have to say that at least IntSys treats Lyn as more important than Eliwood or Hector. She was the only one to get a DLC redesign.

On a side note, I found it quite funny that he put the reasoning in collapse tags with "Read at your own risk".
I'm honest to god, scared of possible responses. Big lengthy and slightly hostile posts don't seem appealing. Thanks for reading though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just glad that most people understand that if a character isn't a lord, they are almost guaranteed to not get in. Otherwise it would be rough. "Hey gaiz! They shuld put Vaike in SSB4! " :glare:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pfft, I want Boyd. He'd be breaking axes, and at the meanwhile clear a path for Ike, while protecting Mist.

He's the true reason Ike fights for his friends.

:ike:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm just glad that most people understand that if a character isn't a lord, they are almost guaranteed to not get in. Otherwise it would be rough. "Hey gaiz! They shuld put Vaike in SSB4! " :glare:
A lot of people seem content with adding Anna in.

If zelda didn't have a consistent protagonist, that would be like adding beedle simply because he shows up in every game.

D

Deleted member

A lot of people seem content with adding Anna in.

If zelda didn't have a consistent protagonist, that would be like adding beedle simply because he shows up in every game.
Most people don't want to see Anna in Smash. As a matter of fact, any Fire Emblem rep not named Chrom and Roy are unpopular choices that most people don't want.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Marth is more of the series mascot (considering smash bros), so there's not much reason to put in Anna over anyone else.

And btw, Chrom's Falchion for coolest sword in all of FE. That thing is sick!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Most people don't want to see Anna in Smash. As a matter of fact, any Fire Emblem rep not named Chrom and Roy are unpopular choices that most people don't want.
Naw, not really. Lyn, Micaiah, Anna, and (maybe) Lucina have some support here. I think I'm forgetting some others.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think he meant that literally no one requests them, but more that they aren't requested as much as Chrom or Roy.

D

Deleted member

Naw, not really. Lyn, Micaiah, Anna, and (maybe) Lucina have some support here. I think I'm forgetting some others.
I was referring to them not getting much requests at all, especially in comparison to Chrom and Roy.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Here's a moveset. I not planning on getting into normals, smashes and grabs. Those moves should be easy enough to make a unique set. I'm just not willing to put in the time.

B: Javelin throw.
Chrom takes a step back and holds a javelin near his head, parallel to the ground. Holding B will not increase damage or range but simply delay the attack. Holding forward when B is released will decrease the lob and throw further. Holding back will angle the throw slightly upward.
Side B: Aether
Its aether as we see it in FE13, not FE9. Chrom lunges forward moving about 4 meters and harming anyone in his path. Then he can do a second lung without a windup that can go the same direction as the first one or go back the other direction. An easier way to put this is Pikachu's up B slower, more powerful, and on the ground. The second hit of the two has much greater launching capabilities so its important to plan for that hit.
Up B: Recovery attack
Opening attack used in the "Two Falchions" cut scene. Works great as a recovery and is used by both Lucina and Chrom. Sword raised, Chrom leaps up into the air. Press B again to perform a downward spin down roughly at a 45 degree angle.
Down B: *insert name here*
Hold down B to charge this attack. Longer its held, the more powerful. Release to leap forward into the air then use a powerful downward slash on the way down. This move is very powerful but its sometimes hard to get the enemy in the right spot to land the attack. If you need a reference, its a commonly used attack in battle. Click on Chrom's portrait in game to see him use it in the preview.
Final Smash: Exalted Falchion
Chrom raises his sword in the air, it starts to glow, he says something then he gets to run around the battle nearly killing everybody in one hit. There's not much to explain.

There, a fully unique set of specials for chrom. And this is without giving him moves he doesn't already have (Ike, marth and roy all did this), using counter again, or using the Flachion healing gimmick as a move.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I may as well repost this from the FE Discussion thread, since this thread is back again.

Fire Emblem Awakening actually is my first FE (I'm looking into getting others, but they aren't exactly easy to find barring EBay...), but while I do support Chrom, I wouldn't be terribly distraught if he wasn't playable.

It could be sort of cool if his Specials involved certain skills, like Sol and Luna (technically he can only get these via Aether, but eh, creative liberties...), Aegis (1/2 damage from indirect attacks?), and so forth. I'm stumpt as far as an Up Special. Maybe Sol can act as one. And then maybe a javelin toss to round it off.

The Final Smash could be perhaps
the Exalted Falchion, which lights up, and Chrom performs at a much faster pace with slightly stronger attacks, while yelling "Anything can change!" Then anytime he hits the foe, he heals a bit of health.

Possibly a "bleh" or broken Final Smash, but it's just an idea.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Habenero your challenge has been accepted. My moveset will be more combo-oriented so I hope this might convince you at least that Chrom has viability in terms of his moveset. Though my moveset probably isn't the most original/creative out there I thought I'd give it my best shot.

Chrom moveset:
(I'm not aware of any official names so I will make them up along as I go. I will also be referring to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpJ_afFukQ . THIS VIDEO HAS SPOILERS AS IT CONTAINS CUTSCENES FROM FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING)

B: Critical Hit. Like all Fire Emblem characters Chrom has a chargeable B neutral. The charge mechanic would be similar to DK's and Samus' B neutral where you are free to stop charging/recharge at your will. This attack would cause Chrom to leap-strike a certain distance in front of him and strike the foe dealing damage and causing them to fly forward based on how long the attack as charged. Knock-back exponentially increases based on how much damage the target already has. Targets struck while having low % will not fly far back for combo purposes.

The leap can be partially controlled with the control stick. Forward tilt causes Chrom to leap the maximum distance while the backward tilt causes Chrom to leap the minimal distance. Tilting the control stick upwards would cause Chrom to leap higher and likewise, tilting the control stick down while leaping will cause Chrom to perform a smaller and quicker leap. If Chrom strikes an enemy he will backflip off the enemy which provides him distance as well as being able to prepare for a combo on targets with low %. Striking some lightweight and most medium/heavyweight characters at 0-12% with a fully charged Critical Hit will still allow Chrom to connect his B>. (Meaning the distance an opponent flies when struck with a fully charged Critical Hit at around 12% under normal circumstances will be up to the maximum distance of his B>.)

You may also choose to perform aerials while backflipping but you will not be able to combo into B> right away.

B>: Falchion Dash. This is seen between 5:56-6:00 in the clip. This skill will work similarly to Fox and Falco's B> in that it activates quickly and cannot charge. This attack allows for Chrom to gap-close towards a foe and knocks the opponent straight up. (Attacking most enemies between 18-34% will put them within range of Chrom's B^) Unlike Fox and Falco's B> Chrom will stop immediately after hitting a target or travels the maximum distance if no target is hit. If the input for another Special Move (B Neutral, Bv, or B^) is used while in mid charge Chrom can immediately perform that attack, thus prematurely ending his gap-closer. *If Critical Hit is used while Chrom performs Falchion Dash he will perform the leap strike based on how much his Critical Hit was charged.

B^: Falchion Finality. This is seen between 3:43-3:45 in the clip. This will work similarly to Bowser's Bv in that Chrom will leap straight up in the air and plummet towards the ground with the Falchion pointed downwards. Enemies hit by this attack will be sent flying upwards and towards the direction Chrom is facing when he performed the attack. You can cancel this attack as long as Chrom is not performing the second half of the attack when he is plummeting towards the ground. In doing so you can immediately perform his Bv or any aerials.

**Bv: Falchion Dive. This attack is seen between 5:40-5:45 in the clip. Chrom jumps in the air and performs a spinning attack diagonally downwards in the direction he is facing. This attack must be used while Chrom is in the air. If Chrom is standing on the ground he will automatically jump (Using one of your two available jumps) and perform the attack. If Chrom uses this attack while in the air, as long as he has adequate distance between him and the ground beneath him, he will immediately perform the spinning attack without leaping into the air. This attack does not cause large knockback though it does induce a decent amount of hit-stun if the attack connects.

Typical combos on most low % enemies can include:
B Neutral into B> into B^
B Neutral into B> into B^ (Canceling the second half of the attack) into Bv.
B> into B neutral into B>
Bv into B Neutral into B>

***Final Smash: Dual Strike. One of Fire Emblem Awakening's main selling point is the ability to perform a Dual Strike with your teammates. When Chrom activates his Final Smash he will catch opponents in an area in front of him. (Chrom and the enemies he 'catches' will be taken off screen much like Captain Falcon's Final Smash) Luciana (masked or unmasked) will then arrive from the Outrealm and assist Chrom in his Dual Strike. Luciana will perform a barrage of attacks in quick succession depending on the number of enemies caught and will then provide Chrom his Dual Strike bonuses when she has finished. Chrom will then perform an over-glorified, fiery, impressive, awe-astounding, and explosive final attack to each target caught. (And of course he will get a cut-in) When the Final Smash is over all targets will be sent flying upwards and the direction Chrom faced when they were caught.

** The reason why Falchion Dive is not Chrom's B^ is because attempting to get back on the stage will prove to be an absolute nightmare if the foe is even semi-decent at edge-guarding. In terms of a recovery it is much too easy to counter as it requires Chrom to be above the stage.

*** I decided that unless we get two Awakening characters Luciana is extremely unlikely so therefore she will have her cameo here.

Please feel free to bash/provide constructive criticisms as you see fit.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Definitely hoping chrom makes it in, dont really care about any of the other FE potentials. Marth, Ike, and Chrom would suffice what i would want for this game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I find it odd that his popularity on Smashboards actually decreased when FE13 was released in America.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I find it odd that his popularity on Smashboards actually decreased when FE13 was released in America.
That's because many people are firmly set against him even though he has quite a bit going for him. This is kind of evident in the fact that if you go other places he is always brought up as a character with huge potential, but he is only on a small portion of rosters on this site. Just bad luck really :/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's because many people are firmly set against him even though he has quite a bit going for him. This is kind of evident in the fact that if you go other places he is always brought up as a character with huge potential, but he is only on a small portion of rosters on this site. Just bad luck really :/
Most other sites consider him a shoo-in.

I don't have much of a problem with that, since I'm fine with clones. The thing I hate about them is that they want him to replace Ike. :glare:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Most other sites consider him a shoo-in.

I don't have much of a problem with that, since I'm fine with clones. The thing I hate about them is that they want him to replace Ike. :glare:
I mean it could happen... I like Ike but its definetly a possibility. Why would you think he would be a clone though? I think the only fire emblem characters that would be clones are Lucina, who is so similar to Marth that she could take his moveset, and Roy who would likely be the same as he was in Melee, a last minute clone

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why would you think he would be a clone though?
I haven't played FE13, so my opinions are shaped by whatever artworks and screenshots I've seen and the opinions of those who have played FE13.

Almost everyone I know on this site thinks him to an Ike semi-clone at best.

Aesthetically as well, he basically looks like Path of Radiance Ike holding Marth's sword.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I haven't played FE13, so my opinions are shaped by whatever artworks and screenshots I've seen and the opinions of those who have played FE13.

Almost everyone I know on this site thinks him to an Ike semi-clone at best.

Aesthetically as well, he basically looks like Path of Radiance Ike holding Marth's sword.
I'd think they would give him at least a semi-clone of Ike, if not completely unique.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
(Didn't think my test posted)

Anywho, does the Exalted Falchion do anything different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom