• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I like that Chrom moveset (gives him the feel of Link, but it's not surprising, given that FastBlade mains Link :p), but I actually want to see a moveset based only on his sword, as it's highly likely that it will be how he fights in SSB4, if he's in.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I like that Chrom moveset (gives him the feel of Link, but it's not surprising, given that FastBlade mains Link :p), but I actually want to see a moveset based only on his sword, as it's highly likely that it will be how he fights in SSB4, if he's in.
The reason he didn't make a purely sword based moveset for Chrom is because he'd be the most boring Smash character otherwise. :3c

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Chrom's Sword only Specials
While Marth focuses on quick strikes and Ike focuses on strong strikes, I've chosen to make Chrom focus on mobility and controlling the direction his enemy is launched.

Up, DUAL STRIKE: He dashes in the direction indicated and slashes at the end of the movement, then he dashes again in the direction indicated and slashes again. Unlike Pikachu's UpB, you automatically dash twice and you can dash in the same direction both times.

Side, LUNA: Chrom rolls in the direction indicated and then slashes in the direction indicated (either to the right or left, can be a different direction than the initial roll), knocking foes away.
In the air, he simply dashes to the side instead of rolling.
The slash has the unique property that it completely bypasses shields.

Neutral, ASTRA: Chrom quickly performs an excessively gymnastic sword dance where he slashes in place five times. If a direction is indicated when the fifth hit is executed, instead of a sword slash Chrom will kick off the enemy and launch them in the direction indicated while Chrom jumps the opposite direction.

Down, RIGHTFUL KING: Chrom raises his blade and rallies his spirit. If the 1.5 second animation is completed without interruption, Chrom's blade will start shining and his next special attack will activate much faster and deal slightly more damage/launch farther.

Final Smash, TRUE SOL: Chrom's blade shines and he leaps forward. If he runs into an enemy, he slashes powerfully three times and launches them away. The attack deals 20% per slash for 60% total, healing Chrom for the same amount.

THERE Y'ALL GO.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just because a character uses his sword doesn't mean he will absolutely 100% be boring. I'd like to think Sakurai would catch on to that and give Chrom and Roy incredibly unique movesets.

Honestly, movesets are basically something that no one can predict. So while it would surely be disappointing to see another FE character with little uniqueness, we won't know that until we actually see Chrom or Roy in action.

Let me ask though, would you guys support Chrom if he was guaranteed to be 100% unique to the roster?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Being more of a casual, Roy and Lyn actually beat Chrom for me simply because I've played their games.

That said, if he's guaranteed to be 100% unique, I will not begrudge his inclusion (even if it is over Roy), though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just because a character uses his sword doesn't mean he will absolutely 100% be boring. I'd like to think Sakurai would catch on to that and give Chrom and Roy incredibly unique movesets.

Honestly, movesets are basically something that no one can predict. So while it would surely be disappointing to see another FE character with little uniqueness, we won't know that until we actually see Chrom or Roy in action.

Let me ask though, would you guys support Chrom if he was guaranteed to be 100% unique to the roster?
I'd be absolutely pleased if he would.

But I can see the point with people here when they say Chrom seems redundant due resembling Marth and after then, Ike. It'd take some while to find out what he could bring in what the other two can't. Though if Sakurai won't see him this way himself, it'd be Chrom much easier to implement I guess.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Well, honestly, I think the sword-only specials I made are 100% unique... I'm fairly proud of them actually, I made them quickly and I think they're all based off of abilities that Chrom could actually acquire in his game (I never played it) and they have a clear focus that's different than Marth or Ike (mobility).

All that being said, I still would prefer if they chose a FE character that was immediately, obviously different. When non-FE fans see blue hair, sword, and cape again they're going to start wondering if Fire Emblem simply has nothing to offer.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
All that being said, I still would prefer if they chose a FE character that was immediately, obviously different. When non-FE fans see blue hair, sword, and cape again they're going to start wondering if Fire Emblem simply has nothing to offer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just because a character uses his sword doesn't mean he will absolutely 100% be boring.
You seem to be missing the big picture here, it's not the weapon in question that's the problem but more like the character wielding the weapon. Chrom's design is very uninteresting, and his carbon copy play style is not exactly doing any favors ether. The character can be included, but it's not exactly going to be something that will encourage people to play as the character. You can make him as unique as possible, but if he's going to be bland ether way, that's going to leave a sour impression in the long run. Especially blunt if he's included alongside both Marth and Ike.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh, I've got concerns about Robin as well that I might address in his/her thread. All the same, s/he is probably my favored (realistic) Awakening choice.

FE definitely has dozens upon dozens of characters with a huge variety of design and gameplay traits... but they seem compelled to put their least interesting characters forward as the protagonists. Boo on them, it's an idiotic choice. I get that they want to emphasize things like reoccurring family lines and legendary weapons passed down through the ages, but they shouldn't harp on these themes at the expense of variety and user experience.

They should've somehow merged Chrom and Marth's bloodlines. Wouldn't Chrom have been cooler if he used both Ragnell and Falchion at the SAME TIME? Bamf.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Merging Marth and Roy's timelines makes more sense, you know... :laugh:
I don't actually know that much about FE, I only played PoR. Does Marth + Roy make more sense because they're both royal lines? Having someone dual-wield Falchion and the Sword of Seals would be completely badass (and make more sense than using Ragnell with just one hand, heh)

Wait... based off of the Fire Emblem world's genetics... Wouldn't combining Marth+Roy's bloodlines... give that hero PURPLE HAIR?! Yessss.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Marth + Roy makes more sense because Roy was "cloned" from Marth.

Marth is the Mew. Roy is the Mewtwo. :troll: :p

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
You seem to be missing the big picture here, it's not the weapon in question that's the problem but more like the character wielding the weapon. Chrom's design is very uninteresting, and his carbon copy play style is not exactly doing any favors ether. The character can be included, but it's not exactly going to be something that will encourage people to play as the character. You can make him as unique as possible, but if he's going to be bland ether way, that's going to leave a sour impression in the long run. Especially blunt if he's included alongside both Marth and Ike.
Lots of people think his design is interesting, he doesn't have carbon copy play style but I mean you would know that if you played his game. You make it seem like most people who play the game judge characters purely on aesthetics and if they don't like what they look like they won't even try the character. Aesthetics is important but having a good moveset which he certainly could is also important. And once again I say, he looks badass. He likely won't be bland. In fact IMO the only characters in smash that are bland at all are clones.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Well, honestly, I think the sword-only specials I made are 100% unique... I'm fairly proud of them actually, I made them quickly and I think they're all based off of abilities that Chrom could actually acquire in his game (I never played it) and they have a clear focus that's different than Marth or Ike (mobility).

They ARE nice.
Actually, Chrom can't use Astra. He can only reclass to a Cavalier or Archer, (Then becoming a Paladin, Great Knight, Sniper, or Bow Knight) but his daughter, Lucina, can. And Chrom did teach Lucina her sword skills.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
They ARE nice.
Actually, Chrom can't use Astra. He can only reclass to a Cavalier or Archer, (Then becoming a Paladin, Great Knight, Sniper, or Bow Knight) but his daughter, Lucina, can. And Chrom did teach Lucina her sword skills.
Oh, ah, well... in that case, that moveset's officially my Lucina moveset, ha. In that case, um, throw "Aegis" or "Dual Guard" onto Chrom for some counter attacky thang.

Edit: I guess I was originally trying to actually avoid having another sword counter... not sure what else would be good, though. It seems that most of the abilities he can get are passives and I was already stretching it with Rightful King to turn +skill activation to +next skill speed. Ideally, he probably would just receive a bow attack or something.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Marth + Roy makes more sense because Roy was "cloned" from Marth.

Marth is the Mew. Roy is the Mewtwo. :troll: :p
That's actually believable since FE6 draws many similarities to FE1 (not only character wise).

[collapse=Freaky...]
[/collapse]

Anyway, what kind of archetype do you peeps think Chrom would fit into? I don't know much about Chrom myself, but I've seen jack of all trades pop up. So like a well balanced character overall and easy to learn? I like to visualize these things...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well, I think people are mostly saying "jack-of-all trades" because Marth already speed and Ike has claimed strength and they want "not fast or strong" to sound more interesting since just saying "average" or "well-balanced" doesn't sound as thrilling.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lots of people think his design is interesting, he doesn't have carbon copy play style but I mean you would know that if you played his game. You make it seem like most people who play the game judge characters purely on aesthetics and if they don't like what they look like they won't even try the character. Aesthetics is important but having a good moveset which he certainly could is also important. And once again I say, he looks badass. He likely won't be bland. In fact IMO the only characters in smash that are bland at all are clones.
I'm pretty sure Habanero has played the game.

I believe he loves Henry.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
... Oh man, reading about Henry is great. It's always funny seeing freaky sociopaths as good guys (well, on the same side as the protagonist). A feral child with black magic, a dry sense of humor, and a tiny streak of humanity is the most interesting FE character I've read about.

I feel like the lords who are descendants of lords are inherently uninteresting since they inherit as many things as possible from their ancestor. Bleh.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Habanero has played the game.
Yes I have, a physical copy too. Fire Emblem is actually one of my favorite series, so passing up on a new Fire Emblem game was not part of my agenda. It's funny, I do enjoy the game but deplore the idea of a character from that game coming into Super Smash Bros.

I believe he loves Henry.

Well of course, if I didn't that would be CAWtastrophic. NYAH-HAHAHAHA!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
... Oh man, reading about Henry is great. It's always funny seeing freaky sociopaths as good guys (well, on the same side as the protagonist). A feral child with black magic, a dry sense of humor, and a tiny streak of humanity is the most interesting FE character I've read about.

I feel like the lords who are descendants of lords are inherently uninteresting since they inherit as many things as possible from their ancestor. Bleh.

Yeah, Awakening has tons of interesting characters. I mean, there's

[collapse=SOME PRETTY BIG SPOILERS IN HERE]

The Avatar, whose identity is pretty much a walking spoiler.

[collapse=MAJOR SPOILER YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!]He/she is essentially the spawn of the fell dragon Grima, and was meant to be used as a weapon of mass destruction, but tries to deal with this when he/she finds out.[/collapse]

Olivia, a dancer with extreme anxiety and stage fright, despite the nature of her position in the army.

Cordelia, who is burdened by her own high standards for herself after
[Collapse=SPOILERS AGAIN]the other Pegasus Knights, minus Sumia, gave their lives for the Ylissean army and made Cordelia survive by having her go for help.[/Collapse] So she essentially feels immense guilt. To make matters worse, she got blessed with unrequited love for Chrom.

Lon'Qu, who is a pretty extreme badass Myrmidon, but is plagued by the fact that he's a gynophobe, due to an issue in his childhood, where his childhood sweetheart gave her life to save him from bandits, and he failed to protect her. His fear of women actually is a fear of not being able to protect them.

Kellam, who, despite his class' size and stature, is often forgotten or ignored. Quite a bit of humor to be had here.

And Tiki, who was also playable in Marth's games. Being a Manakete, she knows that all of her partnerships are temporary, as she will far outlive her allies, just like she did with Marth, whom she loved dearly. She calls him "Mar-Mar."

[/collapse]

Just to name a few.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Huh, I didn't know some of those things. Pretty awesome, I find pretty much all of those characters interesting. Oh, and most of them don't use swords. :p

I am curious what Smash could do to make Chrom seem more interesting, though. I do strongly think that he won't claim a character slot, in any case. This thread sure is a lot longer than Robin/Avatar/Tactician, so who knows who'll get it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For some reason, part of my post was cut off. Only Lissa, though, who is interesting due to the fact that she's a spunky girl who wants to be more ladylike due to the underlying issue that
[collapse=Spoiler!]she thinks she's a ******* child, due to not having the family birthmark. She is relieved when her son has it, proving her legitimacy. It's a pretty heartwarming scene.[/collapse]

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Eh, I'm less excited about the FE characters who act childish despite reasons why they shouldn't... there seem to be a lot of childish characters, even not including the oddly large number of child soldiers.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Yes I have, a physical copy too. Fire Emblem is actually one of my favorite series, so passing up on a new Fire Emblem game was not part of my agenda. It's funny, I do enjoy the game but deplore the idea of a character from that game coming into Super Smash Bros.

Well of course, if I didn't that would be CAWtastrophic. NYAH-HAHAHAHA!
Alright I can respect that. I also not only found a way to get a physical copy, but sold my Xbox 360 to buy a 3ds just for awakening or at least so far. Only characters I think that kind of deserve spots are Chrom and robin IMO.

As for Henry I thought he was cool and sociopathical and whatnot, but for some reason I couldn't get over the fact that his victory animation looks so damn choppy... I guess I'm pretty OCD in that aspect similarly I cannot STAND golbats animation in pokemon white and black

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I don't think 4 reps is an unreasonable expectation. FE is a huge franchise. With any luck we'll see all 4 ideal reps:

1. Marth (the original face of FE, popular, a mainstay and a two-time veteran)
2. Ike (significant and popular character, veteran, represents the West)
3. Roy (veteran, very popular in Japan, represents the East)
4. Chrom (the new boy, represents the latest series entry; thus, the "contemporary" character.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I don't think 4 reps is an unreasonable expectation. FE is a huge franchise. With any luck we'll see all 4 ideal reps:

1. Marth (the original face of FE, popular, a mainstay and a two-time veteran)
2. Ike (significant and popular character, veteran, represents the West)
3. Roy (veteran, very popular in Japan, represents the East)
4. Chrom (the new boy, represents the latest series entry; thus, the "contemporary" character.
I don't think it would take luck at all I think that this is the most likely to happen. Luck would be for any other characters who could make it.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Is there news of a new FE game in the making? Maybe the "contemporary" character would actually be the protagonist of the next game.
I suppose the Paris/Priam thread thinks that he might be the next Hero... I still think that potentially Ike/Priam and Marth/Chrom will share a character slot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well besides the crossover that Habanero mentioned. I don't think there is any other new Fire Emblem announcement made yet so far.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
... that... is a really weird crossover idea. They're about as different as two Japanese RPG series can be. Kind of a pity that SMTxFE is a RPG, I'd be curious to see who IS would pick for a crossover fighting game.

Ima_Ninja_Snack

Smash Rookie
I think it is sure that chrom will be in the next smash game because the example of the last 2 games; they put in the protagonist of the latest fire emblem game and keep marth.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
as someone who (comparative to all y'all) knows little about FE, Chrom strikes me as a much cooler character visually and generally than Ike or Marth. Just for those who think he's objectively much blander - I think it's more they'd all make each other seem blander when placed alongside each other.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
as someone who (comparative to all y'all) knows little about FE, Chrom strikes me as a much cooler character visually and generally than Ike or Marth. Just for those who think he's objectively much blander - I think it's more they'd all make each other seem blander when placed alongside each other.
Yeah, I think the "he's boring" statements are more to the point that he wouldn't be adding anything new to the series, not that the other two are remarkably interesting protagonists by comparison. FE is more focused on Legacy than individuality when it comes to their heroes.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
... that... is a really weird crossover idea. They're about as different as two Japanese RPG series can be. Kind of a pity that SMTxFE is a RPG, I'd be curious to see who IS would pick for a crossover fighting game.
It's kindof a pity it isn't a fighting game???? Yikes if there was a potentiality that there could be an RPG made by IS and Atlus and they made a freaking fighting game that would likely not be very good, I would not be happy. Instead it will be an RPG and I am so excited.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's kindof a pity it isn't a fighting game???? Yikes if there was a potentiality that there could be an RPG made by IS and Atlus and they made a freaking fighting game that would likely not be very good, I would not be happy. Instead it will be an RPG and I am so excited.
I meant that it'd be a pity since, if it was a fighting game, we'd be able to see who IS would put forward as their representatives.
I mean, also, I don't enjoy playing the FE games. :p I'd be curious how it turns out, however... The Persona games had people attacking their enemies by shooting themselves in the head to summon spirits, while FE has people swinging swords. It'll be interesting mixing the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom