• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Never did say Mewtwo won't be in, it just bugs me that people are oblivious to the faults that Mewtwo has and are oblivious to him being improved with varies buffs may or may not happen. It's one big crapshot whether or not Mewtwo will be improved.
Actually it's pretty likely that mewtwo will at least be different. Because if mewtwo does make it in, I'd say its a pretty good chance he'd have a form shift move or maybe he'd only be in his awakened form. I think the moveset for the awakened form will need to be radically different than regular Mewtwos moveset, probably more similar but not exactly the same as lucarios in terms of speed and movement at least. So yeah with the introduction of the awakened form its more than likely that he will be radically different while Roy is still roy

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wow, so much was caused by my one remark. Anyways, some of the points actually do make sense other than just his popularity factor in terms of his chances. I actually like him because his overall design breaks the boundaries of the typical Fire Emblem protagonist design archetype and I actually view him as this type of badass (like mah boy Yuri Lowell). It was kind of cool that he is related to Marth in some way and how his Falchion looks much different form the original Falchion. Fire Emblem Awakening alone is one of my favorite 3DS games along with Rhythm Thief and Kid Icarus Uprising and I still own it up to this day. Beat the game 100% including the DLC missions as well and enjoyed the true Fire Emblem experience than just Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn. Moveset wise, it is expected for him to be semi-clone since it is difficult making the lords 100% different when it comes to overall attacks with the exception of Ike. Opposum, I'll be looking forward to your moveset since since we'll see how he could be truly unique without getting the clone treatment.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Wow, so much was caused by my one remark. Anyways, some of the points actually do make sense other than just his popularity factor in terms of his chances. I actually like him because his overall design breaks the boundaries of the typical Fire Emblem protagonist design archetype and I actually view him as this type of badass (like mah boy Yuri Lowell). It was kind of cool that he is related to Marth in some way and how his Falchion looks much different form the original Falchion. Fire Emblem Awakening alone is one of my favorite 3DS games along with Rhythm Thief and Kid Icarus Uprising and I still own it up to this day. Beat the game 100% including the DLC missions as well and enjoyed the true Fire Emblem experience than just Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn. Moveset wise, it is expected for him to be semi-clone since it is difficult making the lords 100% different when it comes to overall attacks with the exception of Ike. Opposum, I'll be looking forward to your moveset since since we'll see how he could be truly unique without getting the clone treatment.
As for clone/semi clone/unique moveset status it really just depends on how much time they want to spend with him. They could easily throw him in as a last minute Ike clone. Or they could give him Ike's moveset and take out Ike. Or they could give him elements from both Ike and Marth. Or they could give him his own moveset. But people who think that it is impossible to make a whole moveset for him really underestimate the ability or sakurais moveset developers. They definetly can, it's just a matter of if they will. Which all in all just depends on how much time they want to spend on him.

Also I had an idea for the final smash. Like he could open that time gate that is opened early in the game and a bunch of the children characters always including Lucina can pop out and start raising hell. Maybe even some risen can pop out idk it's not entirely thought out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As for clone/semi clone/unique moveset status it really just depends on how much time they want to spend with him. They could easily throw him in as a last minute Ike clone. Or they could give him Ike's moveset and take out Ike. Or they could give him elements from both Ike and Marth. Or they could give him his own moveset. But people who think that it is impossible to make a whole moveset for him really underestimate the ability or sakurais moveset developers. They definetly can, it's just a matter of if they will. Which all in all just depends on how much time they want to spend on him.

Also I had an idea for the final smash. Like he could open that time gate that is opened early in the game and a bunch of the children characters always including Lucina can pop out and start raising hell. Maybe even some risen can pop out idk it's not entirely thought out.
I agree. They could at least spend as much time as they did developing Ike to really give himself a killer moveset. Making him a blend between Marth and Ike sounds like a great idea since he does wield a light blade, but has a muscular physique to make up for that. Why didn't anyone think of this before? :laugh:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I agree. They could at least spend as much time as they did developing Ike to really give himself a killer moveset. Making him a blend between Marth and Ike sounds like a great idea since he does wield a light blade, but has a muscular physique to make up for that. Why didn't anyone think of this before? :laugh:
That's what I'm here for. :p
If they were to do this I'd assume he'd have normal sword swings similar to Marth but flair moves similar to Ike if you kind of get what I mean. He would of course be in between in terms of weight and speed though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I myself think Chrom could be pretty cool. I wouldn't necessarily care if he were a clone. I just want my most wanted characters in first:troll:

D

Deleted member

Really? I wasn't aware Mach Rider has been in Smash since Melee.
Since after all, everyone Sakurai wants always makes it in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I really wish Chrom were NOT a descendent of Marth. That lies at the root of the problem.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really wish Chrom were NOT a descendent of Marth. That lies at the root of the problem.
Hmmm...what exactly is the problem from that?

Mario and Luigi are brothers, and they play similarly. Sure, Chrom may be related to Marth, but I don't think that can really hurt him. The only thing that I believe hurts Chrom, is his hair and the idea that he is "flavor of the month".

Actually, I think we should refer to characters in his situation as "Sub of the month":troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You forgot being very uninteresting.
That is subjective though. Really, everything that goes against him is.

I happen to like Chrom, while others do not. It's all subjective, and you can't really use that against him. It is something that can't be proven, which is not the case with Ridley for example. People think he is too big, but it has been proven several times he can be edited to a good size.

Chrom however is plagued by opinion. I mean really, I don't find Lucina interesting either, and she is another candidate. But that doesn't matter, because there are plenty of people who DO think she is interesting. See what I mean?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That is objective though. Really, everything that goes against him is.

I happen to like Chrom, while others do not. It's all objective, and you can't really use that against him. It is something that can't be proven, which is not the case with Ridley for example. People think he is too big, but it has been proven several times he can be edited to a good size.

Chrom however is plagued by opinion. I mean really, I don't find Lucina interesting either, and she is another candidate. But that doesn't matter, because there are plenty of people who DO think she is interesting. See what I mean?
I think you meant "subjective." Objective would be proving his point. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I happen to like Chrom, while others do not. It's all subjective, and you can't really use that against him.
Actually I can use that against him. You see, if a character does not bare interest, things are not exactly going to workout. As you said, others are not exactly fond of the idea of Chrom, which hurts more then helps in the long run. A vocal minority stating otherwise won't exactly save the character for long. If the Super Smash Bros. fanbase is hardly trilled by the character, imagine how the larger casual crowd will think of the character. Probably general sighs. The problem with Chrom is that the archetype has been done already, and people would rather look for something more fresh. While yes the character could be included, there wouldn't exactly be a lot of praise.

•Col•

Smash Champion
That is subjective though. Really, everything that goes against him is.

I happen to like Chrom, while others do not. It's all subjective, and you can't really use that against him. It is something that can't be proven, which is not the case with Ridley for example. People think he is too big, but it has been proven several times he can be edited to a good size.

The thing with determining which Fire Emblem characters should get into Smash is almost entirely dependent on people's opinions on said character. Aside from Marth, virtually every (main) lord is equally important to the Fire Emblem series as a whole... So in this case, it really does come down to opinion. And there seems to be quite a large amount of people that thing Chrom is boring.

Anyway, since I asked in the Fire Emblem discussion thread and didn't really get a response... What do you fans like about Chrom? The only reasoning I've seen for his support is just because of his recentness, so I'd like to see some real reasons for him to get in. I'm wondering what exactly do you feel that he can bring to Smash in the long run? Do you feel like Chrom will still be relevant to the series like Marth/Ike a few years down the line? /notsarcasticatallImgenuinelycurious

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Actually I can use that against him. You see, if a character does not bare interest, things are not exactly going to workout. As you said, others are not exactly fond of the idea of Chrom, which hurts more then helps in the long run. A vocal minority stating otherwise won't exactly save the character for long. If the Super Smash Bros. fanbase is hardly trilled by the character, imagine how the larger casual crowd will think of the character. Probably general sighs. The problem with Chrom is that the archetype has been done already, and people would rather look for something more fresh. While yes the character could be included, there wouldn't exactly be a lot of praise.
That isn't the point. The fan base is split. If the entire fan base didn't like Chrom, it would be different. But that isn't the case here. At this point, Roy and Chrom are the front runners for representation.

If we are going to talk about the appearance to the larger audience, then Lucina would be hit even harder by that. She is largely (LARGELY) based off of Marth. So if she gets into the game, people would say/think "A female Marth?". Not to mention their play style could be incredibly similar.

I'm sure there are several characters that some people are not fond of because they don't find them interesting. What makes a character interesting in Smash is their style of play. Not what they act like in their own games.

Your argument that the archetype has been done already can be applied to several characters if we are going by swordsmen standards. Link, Toon Link, Marth, Ike, Roy and Meta Knight all use swords, but all have different play styles. Really, if Chrom were to be added, sure, he could be a clone, but there is just as much a chance that he wouldn't be.

One other comment that is not really a response, but I don't get the clone argument against Chrom as far as defending Roy. Roy WAS a clone when he appeared in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with determining which Fire Emblem characters should get into Smash is almost entirely dependent on people's opinions on said character. Aside from Marth, virtually every (main) lord is equally important to the Fire Emblem series as a whole... So in this case, it really does come down to opinion. And there seems to be quite a large amount of people that thing Chrom is boring.

Anyway, since I asked in the Fire Emblem discussion thread and didn't really get a response... What do you fans like about Chrom? The only reasoning I've seen for his support is just because of his recentness, so I'd like to see some real reasons for him to get in. I'm wondering what exactly do you feel that he can bring to Smash in the long run? Do you feel like Chrom will still be relevant to the series like Marth/Ike a few years down the line? /notsarcasticatallImgenuinelycurious
Well I honestly think that depends on whether or not he gets another game.

As far as the opinion, if Chrom is a favorite of Sakurai, then Chrom will likely get in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Except we don't know if Chrom is a favorite character or not, and character are not always included due to being a favorite.
True. However Sakurai does like Fire Emblem, hence why included Roy in the first. I really think Fire Emblem is overall a tough subject. It will probably take awhile to determine the chosen characters.

Boy Habanero, you really ARE spicy :troll:

•Col•

Smash Champion
One other comment that is not really a response, but I don't get the clone argument against Chrom as far as defending Roy. Roy WAS a clone when he appeared in Smash.
I think most people thinking with the Melee clones is that it's understood that they were last minute characters Sakurai decided to throw in, so they get a pass because if they weren't clones in Melee, they wouldn't have appeared in the game at all. Example: I'd rather have Ganondorf be in Melee and be a Cpt Falcon clone rather than not be in Melee at all.

When looking to future Smash games, it's kind of bad if you go INTO the game thinking "Yeah, this character could just be a clone of _____!" Why do you think so many people were pissed about Ganondorf still being a clone in Brawl? He really should've been made more unique.... Bleh.

I think when comparing Roy and Chrom side by side, most people believe that it's much easier to make Roy more luigi-fied than Chrom due to ph1r3 properties. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, still would like to see some people's reasons for liking Chrom. :3c

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyway, still would like to see some people's reasons for liking Chrom. :3c
He looks less anime-esque than the usual Fire Emblem protagonists of the past, he's got that sort of manly flair, he's related to the "mascot" of the Fire Emblem franchise, his Falchion looks a little more unique than the generic original Falchion, he's a badass shepard, he's voiced by RE6 Leon S. Kennedy in English, and he's a muscular lord like President Ike Ike. These are my reasons for liking his character.

•Col•

Smash Champion
He looks less anime-esque than the usual Fire Emblem protagonists of the past, he's got that sort of manly flair, he's related to the "mascot" of the Fire Emblem franchise, his Falchion looks a little more unique than the generic original Falchion, he's a badass shepard, he's voiced by RE6 Leon S. Kennedy in English, and he's a muscular lord like President Ike Ike. These are my reasons for liking his character.
So mainly aesthetic reasons?

I mean, it's totally fine if that's the case. Most of my decision making for playing a character in a game is for the same type of reasoning. There's a reason why I immediately switched from Marth to Roy when I unlocked him in Melee when I was younger.......

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I do feel a bit weird when so many of the reasons are things like relating his similarities to FE characters already in Smash... To me, these are in general reasons why Chrom would make an absolutely perfect alternate costume.

Rather... for me, ideally, he'd replace Marth and Marth would be relegated to an alternate costume. Chrom looks pretty badass, I'd love to see him in the next Smash, I just don't think there's any real reason to create a new swordlord moveset for him or devote an entire character slot.

He does look a heck of a lot cooler than Marth... if they were in the same spot, I'd play Chrom for sure.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
One thing I've noticed that when it comes to players not familiar with fire emblem, aesthetics is one of the main reasons. So really saying that no one will like Chrom is rediculous because no matter how boring his personality is, he looks really cool. And personality is not reflected in super smash bros at all. So people will just see him as another sick fire emblem character and he will likely be warmly welcomed as a character. I mean it's impossible to know for sure but it could be the case that cooler looking characters could have presidence over bett personality characters since aesthetics affect the character in smash greatly, while personality does not.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Your ****ting me right? You're honestly saying that people will be attracted to Chrom's cosmetics even though that's one of the reason why he's so boring to begin with?

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

Your ****ting me right? You're honestly saying that people will be attracted to Chrom's cosmetics even though that's one of the reason why he's so boring to begin with?
Scroll up two images to be proven wrong. Ike just looks like a mercenary with blue hair how is that special... Vanguard Ike on the other hand...

Like seriously though that's one of the things people actually seem to like about him.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
One thing I've noticed that when it comes to players not familiar with fire emblem, aesthetics is one of the main reasons. So really saying that no one will like Chrom is rediculous because no matter how boring his personality is, he looks really cool. And personality is not reflected in super smash bros at all. So people will just see him as another sick fire emblem character and he will likely be warmly welcomed as a character. I mean it's impossible to know for sure but it could be the case that cooler looking characters could have presidence over bett personality characters since aesthetics affect the character in smash greatly, while personality does not.
I mean... I remember quite a few (Western) people feeling weird about Melee having both Marth and Roy since, from a Western perspective, they are not Nintendo's All-Stars and a lot of people had never heard of the franchise, let alone the characters. If Chrom got in as a new independent character, people who are unfamiliar with FE might go "oh dang, he looks cooler than Marth", but I really think their main reaction would be "but who the heck thought Smash Bros. needed a fourth anime dude with weird hair swinging a sword around from the same series".

That's the thing... to anybody who isn't deeply invested in the Fire Emblem franchise, adding in another character like Chrom just seems like over representation of characters with a similar aesthetic and fighting style. I think FE fans are blindly confident in at least one more sword wielding FE character getting in, when it's entirely likely that number will stick at two. From the perspective of the fans who don't play FE, all these characters are generic nobodies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Roy's design in Melee was pretty uninteresting... I didn't really like Marth's either. Roy was really generic and Marth was oddly girlish.

Roy's current design though is fine. The shoulder shield is interesting, and the black white and blue is classy.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Really now? I mean, the vast majority of Fire Emblem lords look cool anyway. Why do you think Chrom should get over another since you just said yourself that the non-FE fans are going to be content with any of them?

And if we're going purely by aesthetics, those Tharja supporters would trump all other possible FE newcomers because of lolboobs. D:

At least it's more exciting than Roy's cosmetics. My opinion of course.
Lol nope.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Really now? I mean, the vast majority of Fire Emblem lords look cool anyway. Why do you think Chrom should get over another since you just said yourself that the non-FE fans are going to be content with any of them?

And if we're going purely by aesthetics, those Tharja supporters would trump all other possible FE newcomers because of lolboobs. D:

Lol nope.
More basically what I mean is that the fact that Chrom looks cool kind of nullifies the fact that he is boring personality wise according to some people because the part of Chrom represented would be his aesthetics, not his personality. But that's just chroms case. Other characters definetly look cool too.

What I'm saying is not that it makes him the highest contender (even though I think that he is) but it may raise his chances.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I mean... I remember quite a few (Western) people feeling weird about Melee having both Marth and Roy since, from a Western perspective, they are not Nintendo's All-Stars and a lot of people had never heard of the franchise, let alone the characters. If Chrom got in as a new independent character, people who are unfamiliar with FE might go "oh dang, he looks cooler than Marth", but I really think their main reaction would be "but who the heck thought Smash Bros. needed a fourth anime dude with weird hair swinging a sword around from the same series".

That's the thing... to anybody who isn't deeply invested in the Fire Emblem franchise, adding in another character like Chrom just seems like over representation of characters with a similar aesthetic and fighting style. I think FE fans are blindly confident in at least one more sword wielding FE character getting in, when it's entirely likely that number will stick at two. From the perspective of the fans who don't play FE, all these characters are generic nobodies.
I think I'll respond to your post in the Roy thread...just in case (because it's mostly about Roy. I don't want to start anything).

I'm neutral on Chrom. I do like him more aesthetically than Roy, believe it or not (though I like Awakening Roy hell of a lot more). Anyway, yeah, I'd rather try him hands-on before I make any judgements (though I'm keeping my expectations a little low. As in I believe he'll get in as a semi-clone).

Marth, Ike, and Chrom (unique). Would these FE picks appeal to you peeps? I'm asking this because I have seen people complain that the main reason they don't want to see all three is because they don't want 3 blue-haired swordsmen running around. I'm not sure if that's a legitimate reason to put down Chrom...though I don't think Sakurai cares about these trivial things (however, if you wanna believe that Sakurai wanted to add Wolf in Melee, this might be a different case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom