• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
And if we're going purely by aesthetics, those Tharja supporters would trump all other possible FE newcomers because of lolboobs. D:
I never really understood how Tharja and Cordelia managed to beat out Lucina in the polls. I guess I haven't unlocked a lot of their supports though... I feel like Olivia is much more fanservicey than either of them and Lucina seems to be conceptually cooler of a character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Probably because Lucina just comes across as long-haired Marth. Tharja seems really creepy from what her wikia page says... if you don't marry her, she apparently spends the rest of her life after the game practicing different hexes to force you to love her? Eek. The other girls seem pretty cool, what with them having a weapon that isn't a Falchion or Ragnell.

So, why am I the only person in this thread talking about the possibility of Chrom and Marth sharing the character spot? It seems like the perfect example of when alternate costumes would be used... They're descendents of one another, use the same weapon, and share many of the same skills. They're effectively the same character and they should treated as such.

Any character wielding Falchion should be alternate costumes of each other, and the same goes for any character wielding Ragnell.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, why am I the only person in this thread talking about the possibility of Chrom and Marth sharing the character spot?
Apparently Sakurai does not like putting two characters in the same roster slot. It's all hearsay, though.

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Probably because Lucina just comes across as long-haired Marth. Tharja seems really creepy from what her wikia page says... if you don't marry her, she apparently spends the rest of her life after the game practicing different hexes to force you to love her? Eek. The other girls seem pretty cool, what with them having a weapon that isn't a Falchion or Ragnell.

So, why am I the only person in this thread talking about the possibility of Chrom and Marth sharing the character spot? It seems like the perfect example of when alternate costumes would be used... They're descendents of one another, use the same weapon, and share many of the same skills. They're effectively the same character and they should treated as such.

Any character wielding Falchion should be alternate costumes of each other, and the same goes for any character wielding Ragnell.
Yeah, not quite sure how the creepiness factor appeals to the Japanese fanbase but whatever floats their boat.

As far as sharing character spots I have to say that I'm against two entirely different characters sharing the same spot as I see it as an excuse to fluff the roster while others can see it as being lazy by not Luigi-fying the character whether it be for the immediate roster or for DLC.

My stance is that either they should Luigi-fy the potential character or give one character another character's outfit. (Similar to how Peach has Daisy's dress). Otherwise the next Super Smash could possibly have over 70 characters if we kept sharing slots between characters. (Samus + Dark Samus, Peach + Daisy + Rosalina + Pauline, Marth + Lucina + Chrom, Diddy Kong + Dixie Kong, etc.)

It's different between Mario/Dr. Mario, Zelda/Sheik, and Samus/ZSS as they are the same character but presented in a different way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I never really understood how Tharja and Cordelia managed to beat out Lucina in the polls. I guess I haven't unlocked a lot of their supports though... I feel like Olivia is much more fanservicey than either of them and Lucina seems to be conceptually cooler of a character.
I'm not sure, I was rooting for Olivia myself, but let's keep my personal preferences out of here. :cool:

Lucina technically GOT fanserviced, they just kept the generational gaps apart. Sort of upset Cordelia was in over Olivia though, once again. Feh.

Chrom for Sm4sh and stuff!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Apparently Sakurai does not like putting two characters in the same roster slot. It's all hearsay, though.
Mannn, I really hope early on it's revealed that alternate costumes are thing and that, furthermore, a select few alternate characters are in. These FE characters would be a great opportunity for that, and we could get tons of alternate character costumes for Sonic (Metal Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles... any rolling character, really).

It'd be a great way to include characters, a much better tribute than shoving them into an Assist Trophy (or a sticker).

Chrom's Falchion is so much cooler looking than Marth's. It's simple yet stylish. I mean, it's still not actually a falchion sword, but I guess you can't be too picky.
Though... for a sword that's apparently forged from the tooth of a Dragon God, the different Falchion designs are fairly average looking.

Edit: @Kikaru
I really have trouble considering Marth and Chrom "entirely different" characters. Descendants in the Fire Emblem series are practically reincarnations... Marth and Chrom are about as similar as Link is to Link.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Edit: @Kikaru
I really have trouble considering Marth and Chrom "entirely different" characters. Descendants in the Fire Emblem series are practically reincarnations... Marth and Chrom are about as similar as Link is to Link.
If appearance and animations don't do it for you, you can take Tiki's word for it. She says Chrom doesn't resemble Marth at all, in Tiki and Robin's support. She continues by saying hes more like the hero before marth.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anri was never married, only his younger brother did, so Anri himself didn't leave a legacy. Marth is actually descendant from Marcelus, Anri's brother in direct blood lines. So it might be that Marth took more after Marcelus, and Chrom more after Anri.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If appearance and animations don't do it for you, you can take Tiki's word for it. She says Chrom doesn't resemble Marth at all, in Tiki and Robin's support. She continues by saying hes more like the hero before marth.
She was referring to their personalities, not their physical appearances or abilities.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But realy, Chrom doesn't look anything like Marth.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's how I could picture Chrom playing like though. He would be an average of everything between Marth and Ike.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What about Ike x Elice? Or Marth x Mist? You guys with your gay fanfics. :smirk:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's how I could picture Chrom playing like though. He would be an average of everything between Marth and Ike.
Wouldn't mind. I sorta thought of Dedede, minus everything that'd make him a heavy-weight character. I guess a real jack-of-all-stats when compared to Ike and Marth. But I wouldn't let that be a primary reason to let him be a character in means of a moveset.

He needs to be unique: in a way that you wouldn't draw parallels to Marth or Ike (at least all the time.)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Regardless of how a Fire Emblem lord is holding their sword, their moveset is going to boil down to them swinging it in the direction you indicate. Thematically, that's literally all that swordlords do. The only move that isn't just that is Counter, and they decided to give it to all three FE characters that've been in Smash. Even if a third swordlord ends up being the middle ground for speed vs. strength, there just isn't enough to justify the effort and sacrifice that it would take to put three of them in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom and Roy are equal good choices I feel. But Roy for me is much easier to imagine cause I actually played FE6, and not FE13.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What I fear is that if we get Marth, Ike, and Chrom I'm sure they'll be ignorant fans saying things like, "omg I totally love Chrom! It's so cute how Chrom is Marth and Ike's son!" Not that I'm saying that it's a reason to not have the three, it's just that, well, you can't avoid these things.

But yeah, even in Chrom's concept artwork, he bears a striking resemblance to Ike (looks like they had a little bit of trouble coming up with originality, no?). But hey, seeing Swimsuit Chrom kinda made me like the guy even more (Smash Beach DLC anyone?).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But yeah, even in Chrom's concept artwork, he bears a striking resemblance to Ike (looks like they had a little bit of trouble coming up with originality, no?)
I thought the similarity was intentional actually, seeing as FE13 was envisioned as a Fire Emblem All-
Stars game and meant to provide the ultimate FE experience.

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Honestly I feel like Thanny, Fee, and Lucina (And even that's a stretch) match more closely to Marth than Chrom does. But that's because Chrom isn't nearly as fabulous as Mar-Mar I will have to admit.

I'd also have to agree with ScoliosisJones here in that I too would like to see Chrom play as the middle character between Ike and Marth.

@qdMbp: In regards to your earlier statement it is understandable that you view these characters to be similar. The next issue that would come up would be the alteration of hitboxes if these characters shared the same spot. Unless Chrom matches Marth's body structure perfectly without altering the hitboxes or making the model look weird then really the only issues I can scrounge are the ones I stated previously. Otherwise if the hitbox changes ever so slightly then one character offers a competitive advantage over the other. (I can also segway this into how this could create a problem for Miis but that is for another thread.)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I thought the similarity was intentional actually, seeing as FE13 was envisioned as a Fire Emblem All-
Stars game and meant to provide the ultimate FE experience.
Intentional? Maybe...maybe. Though they did make some minor changes before the final design.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Honestly I feel like Thanny, Fee, and Lucina (And even that's a stretch) match more closely to Marth than Chrom does. But that's because Chrom isn't nearly as fabulous as Mar-Mar I will have to admit.

I'd also have to agree with ScoliosisJones here in that I too would like to see Chrom play as the middle character between Ike and Marth.

@qdMbp: In regards to your earlier statement it is understandable that you view these characters to be similar. The next issue that would come up would be the alteration of hitboxes if these characters shared the same spot. Unless Chrom matches Marth's body structure perfectly without altering the hitboxes or making the model look weird then really the only issues I can scrounge are the ones I stated previously. Otherwise if the hitbox changes ever so slightly then one character offers a competitive advantage over the other. (I can also segway this into how this could create a problem for Miis but that is for another thread.)
Argh, wrote a response that was lost right before I would post.
In short...
Marth and Chrom have the same bone structure since they're both humans from the same style and sword lengths can be changed to whatever works as seen with Marth's blade becoming shorter for Brawl. In this case, it'd work out perfectly without making either character look distorted.

As far as I can tell, all of the human sword-wielders from FE have essentially the same body, so Smash could actually have tons of alternate characters in those slots if they wanted to. I personally would want one slot for "Descendants of Marth" and one for "Descendants of Ike". That'd give us Marth, Chrom, Lucina and then Ike, Priam, and maybe Greil.
(And sure, a third slot for someone wielding something that isn't a sword.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By that logic, Bowser and Bowser junior would share the same spot. :laugh:
Same with Link and Toon Link. (Makes a bit more sense though.)
And probably even Mario and Luigi.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
By that logic, Bowser and Bowser junior would share the same spot. :laugh:
Same with Link and Toon Link. (Makes a bit more sense though.)
And probably even Mario and Luigi.
All the adult FE characters have similar enough heights that nobody would complain if they were normalized. They have the same proportions, it'd be completely fine. None of the characters you mentioned have the same bone structure. :p

Should be noted- when I say "bone structure" I don't mean "they all have a human skeletal structure", I mean that if they would have the same model bones. The polygon team shares its bones with the characters they're imitating, Ganondorf from melee had Captain Falcon's bone structure but resized, and most character model hacks you see use a different model but share the bones.

Ultimately, that's just what alternate characters are: Simple model hacks. Doesn't change the gameplay at all, just a different look.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Seriously, is being a jack of all trades really the best people can come up with Chrom?
I don't see what the problem with that would be. He would play differently than the other two. Gameplay is the most important part aside from the characters, so as long as he isn't a direct clone, I see no problem with that.

I think I remember there being a comment earlier that sword users will use their swords for a majority of their attacks or something. This in no way hurts Chrom. EVERY sword user in the game, Fire Emblem or not, uses their sword for a majority of the moveset. It only makes sense.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see what the problem with that would be. He would play differently than the other two. Gameplay is the most important part aside from the characters, so as long as he isn't a direct clone, I see no problem with that.
It's probably the most boring way to go, if that's the best you can say about Chrom. While the balanced archetype can be effective, in the case of Chrom it's not exactly enough to make him different and make his inclusion feel more justified. Hell, the character can easily be balanced and yet be a clone without a problem. If a sudden attribute change automatically makes something unique, then Ganondorf is a very original character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's probably the most boring way to go, if that's the best you can say about Chrom. While the balanced archetype can be effective, in the case of Chrom it's not exactly enough to make him different and make his inclusion feel more justified. Hell, the character can easily be balanced and yet be a clone without a problem. If a sudden attribute change automatically makes something unique, then Ganondorf is a very original character.
This is true. However, the way I see Fire Emblem, is that the only way we get a truly different character, would be through any lord that isn't Roy, Chrom, or Lucina. Other than that, similar is what we will probably get.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Moveset done.

Chrom, the Exalt of Ylisse.

Chrom, Prince of Ylisse, brother to Emmeryn and Lissa, leader of the Shepherds. Chrom wields a modern Falchion, the same blade that Marth used ages ago.
Chrom can reclass into a Great Knight, Paladin, Cavalier, Bow Knight, Archer, or Sniper. As such, he also gains abilities like Luna in these classes. Chrom also naturally obtains Aether, though not the same kind of Aether Ike uses.
Chrom was the leader of the Shepherds when he, Lissa, and Frederick, found the Avatar in a field. A chain of events began to unfold, and Chrom stood with his men the whole time, whether slaying Kings or dethroning Conquerers.

Chrom is a mixture of Ike and Marth; he hit's fairly quickly and hits rather hard. He also uses abilities and weapons from his alternate classes.

A- Chrom slashes sideways.
AA- Chrom swings in the opposite direction.
AAA- Chrom turns around and slashes in front of himself.

Uptilt- Chrom bluntly raises his sword up in the air. It only covers the front of his body, but its the fastest of the Fire Emblem A^s.

Forwardtilt- Chrom swings Falchion sideways, upward. It is very quick, but the range is fairly short.

Downtilt- Chrom kneels down and swings Falchion forward.

B: Aether- Chrom raises his sword and charges his Falchion. As Chrom charges, Falchion glows to be more like the Exalted Falchion. When Chrom swings, he hops forward shortly, bringing his sword straight down. (Toon Links forward smash in Project M) Afterward, if fully activated, Chrom uses the Exalted Falchion. Chrom has 20 seconds to use B again, fully charged. If he does, he recovers half of the damage dealt.
Aether has an electric effect whenever used, similar to Ike's Eruption using Fire magic.

B>: Short Spear- Chrom tosses a short spear overhead. The longer Chrom holds the spear, the further he throws it. Thown uncharged, it's range is that of Link's Hero's Bow uncharged.

Bv: LongBow- Chrom kneels down and pulls out a Longbow. Chrom cannot charge the Longbow. In exchange, the arrow travels straight no matter what (Similar to Pit's Light Arrow, though it cannot be controlled.)

B^: Combat Spin- Chrom leaps up. Once he reaches the peak, he begins spinning vigorously. The initial leap is equal to that of Toon Link's Spin Attack. The downward spin has a high amount of knockback.

Nair- Chrom spins shortly. Using this move initiates a heavy fall.

Upair- Chrom slashes Falchion skyward. The blade is hard to connect, but the sweetspot is tremendously powerful.

Downair- Chrom swings Falchion down, similar, but slower than Marth. The blade itself meteor smashes.

Forwardair- Chrom heaves Falchion down in the air, signifigantly faster than Ike's Forwardair. As a risk, the damage output is less.

FowardSmash- Chrom spins then brings Falchion down.

UpSmash- Chrom heaves Falchion overhead. The blade, like his Uptilt, covers only one half of his body.

Downsmash- The obligatory side-spin-side slash. The Falchion is faster than Marth's, but weaker than Roys. It shares the knockback of Luigi's downsmash.

UpTaunt- Chrom raises his fist in the air, proclaiming, “Face Me!”

SideTaunt- Chrom swings his sword forward, saying, “Anything can Change!” The blade only hurts if the handle connects.

DownTaunt- Chrom swings his sword and smashes it into the ground, proclaiming, “I Will Not Fail!”

Victory Taunt A- Chrom raises his sword as it glows. He states, “Well Fought.”

Victory Taunt B- Chrom swings his sword and plants Falchion in the ground.

Victory Taunt C- Chrom swings Falchion vigorously, then stops, and holds Falchion at his side, saying “Finished?”

Stage:
Arena Ferox

The Arena of Regna Ferox. This arena is used to determine the future Khan of Regna Ferox. The arena is dimly lit by torches. The arena is flat. The only way to get a K.O. Is to knock the opponent out of the stage, not off. Occasionally, if hazards is set to ON, Warriors, Knights, and Mages march the stage, and sometimes attack the fighters. Though rare, “Marth” will enter the stage and watch the battle.
Flavia and Basilio can be seen on the side of the stage, watching intently to see whom the new Khan is.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I think I'll respond to your post in the Roy thread...just in case (because it's mostly about Roy. I don't want to start anything).

I'm neutral on Chrom. I do like him more aesthetically than Roy, believe it or not (though I like Awakening Roy hell of a lot more). Anyway, yeah, I'd rather try him hands-on before I make any judgements (though I'm keeping my expectations a little low. As in I believe he'll get in as a semi-clone).

Marth, Ike, and Chrom (unique). Would these FE picks appeal to you peeps? I'm asking this because I have seen people complain that the main reason they don't want to see all three is because they don't want 3 blue-haired swordsmen running around. I'm not sure if that's a legitimate reason to put down Chrom...though I don't think Sakurai cares about these trivial things (however, if you wanna believe that Sakurai wanted to add Wolf in Melee, this might be a different case).
Would be fine by me. But no fire emblem roster would be perfect. Or even close to perfect. Either it doesn't have the right characters or it does and non fire emblem fans are mad about fire emblem over representation. I can deal with anything and while I may not like it I will not complain about any official addition cuz they will all be legit, but some people will get angry, and it will be annoying.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Smart to bring in the weapons of his alternate classes to give him the full variety of his FE character... however, aren't his spear and bow specials kind of redundant?

Maybe make his side special the bow and have him shoot the arrow in the direction the player indicates? (with sideways being the default since that's what the player is pushing to activate it)

And then, maybe make the javelin/spear throw angle downwards when thrown in the air? It could be interesting if the spear would penetrate enemies and stick into terrain as an obstacle.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd dig Chrom as a a All-Jacker though, since I love those type of characters. I'd though like to see him being rather "flexible" character since he has a sword and a spear/lance. And a bow.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Ha
8 year old chrom.

I think that would be when Emmeryn first becomes the exalt after their father died.
Just felt like sharing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Great, an acceptable Chrom moveset has been made. I like the effort that has been but in this moveset and it seems that you'd really worked yourself like a Lord. Just makes the changes everyone else had mentioned and it is perfect. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom