• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hmm. I might take a shot at commentating a random match and see how you guys like it. Another thing besides being knowledgeable and giving informative commentary, is to sound natural, and also have an attractive voice. My voice isn't terrible, but it's definitely not good (I've got lyrics but hate hearing myself spit). To be honest, I hate listening to people who do not have good voices for commentary. It's subjective of course, but chances are we don't want you if you haven't worked out a deal with your hormones yet, lol.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Is registration full yet? There might be a Japanese player going. He's talking to me on Skype but his English is extremely poor so I'm not sure I'm understanding whether he is gonna buy or has already bought a ticket.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Tell him there are 7 more slot available (assuming megavolt and jerry register in time)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I think that I could a good job commentating but I need to be paired with someone who's really animated. I'm certainly someone who would take more of the back seat and provide info rather than hype and play-by-play. I think I'm particularly good at picking up on intricacies of a situation that the average viewer would miss, and as others have said I'm currently involved with Melee and would know how to cater my commentary towards that audience.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'll MM sensei/chain-ace in melee lol

I've SEEN 'EM PLAY

actually I prolly wouldn't be the best melee emissary

because I wouldn't cater my commentary towards melee players

and why would you? this is a 64 tourney. THE 64 tourney.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I think that I could a good job commentating but I need to be paired with someone who's really animated. I'm certainly someone who would take more of the back seat and provide info rather than hype and play-by-play. I think I'm particularly good at picking up on intricacies of a situation that the average viewer would miss, and as others have said I'm currently involved with Melee and would know how to cater my commentary towards that audience.
so you and bcow or you and sensei as said before

also, finally was able to properly register, apex site glitched :o

SheerMadness

Smash Master
because I wouldn't cater my commentary towards melee players

and why would you? this is a 64 tourney. THE 64 tourney.
What's the point in being on the stream if we don't care about introducing of bunch of new players to competitive ssb64?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Noob friendly ≠ melee friendly

I mean why specifically melee players? I dislike the idea of seeing how far up melee's rectum I could get my tongue, and the implication that we'd pick a commentator specifically to make little 64-melee comparisons tells me that that's exactly what you want the commentators to do.

And what's the point of being on the stream? it's to entertain the people who wanna watch 64, of course. We're not primarily proselytizing here, we're streaming our tournament. What's the point of having more people if our one tournament is a recruitment tool rather than an experience?

That said, I do support explanations and noob-friendliness and accessibility and so forth (in amounts prescribed by A. Strife), especially in-between matches and so on.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
It wouldn't be mainly a 64-Melee comparison. It would really be more like pointing out things that are unique to 64 that would be informative to Melee/Brawl players.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
And what's the point of being on the stream? it's to entertain the people who wanna watch 64, of course.
You mean all 30 people that are gonna get on the stream just to watch ssb64? Compared to the 1,000 that are on there to watch melee..

I'm pretty sure we weren't given stream time due to our ability to attract viewers.

EDIT: Just saying we really don't bring enough viewers to warrant any stream time to begin with. It's mainly to give smash players who aren't familiar with competitive ssb64 a window into our world.

Battlecow

Play to Win
It wouldn't be mainly a 64-Melee comparison. It would really be more like pointing out things that are unique to 64 that would be informative to Melee/Brawl players.
Yeah, that's one of the things that would be appropriate to do, but Sheer's implication that you need to be an established and respected member of the melee community as opposed to simply understanding melee implies that the objective is somehow to woo melee players as opposed to entertaining all viewers, noobs and 64 pros alike.

Sheer we have a third of melee's entrants (most of whom are solely or primarily 64 players). We definitely deserve the 1/10 of their stream-time that we're getting on our own merits. You can stop abasing yourself at their feet.

Ultimately A. Strife will decide how the commentary is done, if he doesn't specifically direct me to make it super melee-friendly I'll make the comparisons and distinctions that are appropriate but will NOT assume a melee audience.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Melee players are, for the most part, newcomers to ssb64. They don't follow competitive ssb64.

And the vast majority of the viewing audience will be melee players.

Never said it was a necessity to be a respected melee player to commentate. I just think it would help since the main audience will be melee players.

Battlecow

Play to Win
wtf why would we make it melee friendly..it needs to be NEWCOMER friendly
This this this

there'll be a fair number of brawl players, a fair number of melee players, and, yes, a fair number of people who are interested primarily in 64, sheer. A lot of them will be new and we need to appeal to them.

Still primarily interested in making good commentary for the stream/for YT posterity.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
this is where i say what universe is it going to be mostly melee players...what numbers do you have to prove that? My numbers say we will get people MOSTLY who don't even know the game had a tournament scene...kinda like the 10k last year.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I was watching the stream last year. It was highest when you had a couple thousand melee/brawl players waiting for melee/brawl and a couple thousand FGC viewers there to watch their game.

The FGC dipped right after their stuff was done. They didn't care much about smash.

I can't imagine the FGC is going to come out in force to watch ssb64 at 11:00 am saturday. They'll come when their game is on and then dip just like last year. I'd imagine almost all of our audience will be melee/brawl players.

Merry xmas dudes.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
i hit 10k w/ smash i have the numbers :D

i also know the brek downs of who watched and who didnt.

Even so.

This year we will be embedded on Screwattack, OCremix and front page of twitch. With that we will get TONS of people who do not know about the gaming scene. To me, I do not even understand why we should cater to Melee people for commentary for 64.

To me exposing new people to our games is KEY.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
That's an interesting point. While some Melee players would appreciate comparisons like "situation X here is kinda like situation Y in Melee" maybe that would turn off people who don't know situation Y in Melee.

I think there's a middle ground here.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hey everyone,

I'm proud to announce that THREE Japanese smash 64 players are attending Apex 2013!

Kikoushi
Ruoka Danchon
Nangoku

Currently helping them register on the Apex website. ;)

GET HYPE!

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm done registering them! They should show up on the list of entrants pretty soon.

Here's details on the players coming!

Kikoushi: Kirby player. Won the Japanese National Tournament in 2011 and placed 2nd in 2012. One of the top Japanese players.
Ruoka Danchon: Falcon player. Often goes to the final top 8 phase of the National Tournaments. Widely regarded as the best Falcon in Japan.
Nangoku: Ness/Falcon player. Don't know much about him, will add details once I do. ^^

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Wow! Good job Funk.

I'd say the standings of this tourney were just RADICALLY altered.

Sorry Boom/Isai/Jaime, but top 3 is no longer a guaranteed for all of you.

And anyone who aspirations for top 4, you just got pwned. The Kirby and Falcon player are both legit contender for top 4.

Awesome. Good lord that just makes me even more pissed I'm not going.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
OK so I need help from someone here attending Apex.

I registered the Japanese players myself and paid for it. I told them they'd have to pay a player in cash, so that the latter can pay me through a bank transfer. It's around 150 dollars. Could anyone do that for me?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Funk tell them to register on smashboards and say hi. :)

And that was extremely nice of you to register for them.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm done registering them! They should show up on the list of entrants pretty soon.

Here's details on the players coming!

Kikoushi: Kirby player. Won the Japanese National Tournament in 2011 and placed 2nd in 2012. One of the top Japanese players.
Ruoka Danchon: Falcon player. Often goes to the final top 8 phase of the National Tournaments. Widely regarded as the best Falcon in Japan.
Nangoku: Ness/Falcon player. Don't know much about him, will add details once I do. ^^
Do you have links to any of their tournament results?:)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Do you have links to any of their tournament results?:)
No, I don't know where they are archived. What I know is based on what I learned while I was in Tokyo and attended their event.

http://youtu.be/a3aK-2o8Wu8?t=4m52s
Nangoku LOL.

http://youtu.be/EvdOuGYqsqw?t=45s
Best use of Ness downtilt ever.

Japanese players will be so confused by Hyrule, Congo, and PC.
If I had any kind of power in that matter, I'd take the opportunity to finally get rid of those stages and make the stagelist Dreamland only.

But we've had that discussion countless times.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If the Japanese are flying over for an American tournament they should be prepared to use American rules. I'd be really surprised if they haven't seen the videos from previous Genesis or Apex tournaments.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
If the Japanese are flying over for an American tournament they should be prepared to use American rules. I'd be really surprised if they haven't seen the videos from previous Genesis or Apex tournaments.
Not many of them have. They didn't have much of an idea what I was talking about when I talked to them about Apex 2012.

I'll remind them to practice on Hyrule/Congo/PC.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Hey everyone,

I'm proud to announce that THREE Japanese smash 64 players are attending Apex 2013!

Kikoushi
Ruoka Danchon
Nangoku

Currently helping them register on the Apex website. ;)

GET HYPE!
Oh my, this is well hype

On another note I wonder how Ruoka Danchon will get used to the US falcon, so different

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Falcon is probably the least changed character out of the 3 King Funk mentioned...
I mean Ness is somewhat OP in the Japanese version but in terms of movement, I do find that Falcon has the most changes

a changed short hop, full hop, run speed, up b length, etc.

Top Bottom