• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Nice job your vid covered a lot more than mine. Only thing I did was Ftilt and a bit of Utilt I think.

From what I saw utilt doesn't slide as far as Ftilt and it makes sense since Ike jumps up durring the attack.

The 1st thing that I thought of that could be useful would be for edgegaurding. You could crouch a bit away from the ledge to make them think your going for a Dtilt and then do a pivot boost Ftilt aimed down.

Also I'm not sure if dtilt really slides the 1st post on that thread says that crouching cancels the momentum.

Well anyways heres my vid http://youtube.com/watch?v=zMHd_eNJc4U goes from right to left and vice versa unlike rutgers:laugh:
utilt and ftilt are the most noticeable and may have a use, I could be wrong about dtilt, all the times I tried it before the video I did not get any results but thought I did when messing around in training mode. I could have imagined it.

Also, sorry about it being mostly one direction, before recording I realized I was messing up more by going to the left so I avoided it for the most part. I did not want to mess up too much while recording.

I tried the pivotboosting and it's nothing like what you two are doing. I followed the thread's instructions (tap jump off and rotate 315 degrees in the direction you're facing) but I'm still doing it wrong. When I do it, I keep having Ike do a crouch followed by a foxtrot but you have something different. What am I doing wrong?
From you saying foxtrot I assume you end up running. If so you should rotate the control stick slower, go at a walking pace. I don't know if it would help but try meta knight first, I started with him because I saw the video of him first and he can go a good distance. I also found him to be easier in the long run but that too could have been my imagination.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I tried the pivotboosting and it's nothing like what you two are doing. I followed the thread's instructions (tap jump off and rotate 315 degrees in the direction you're facing) but I'm still doing it wrong. When I do it, I keep having Ike do a crouch followed by a foxtrot but you have something different. What am I doing wrong?
spinning to fast? that was my 1st problem I found out its a lot easier to do at 1.5x speed.

another thing you may be doing wrong is spinning in the wrong dirrection. It kind of sounds like it from what you said. if your facing right rotate clock wise left counter clock wise you are actually supposed to end up crouching again wonder if its possible to do it with a 270' rotation.

edit: I also found out that Ike can foxtrot continuesly (I think I mis spelled that) by just rotating the stick lol. don't know if it was already known or not probably is and even if it isn't idk what fox troting is for I do it with marth but don't really acomplish anything. (maybe I just suck)

edit: I think it is your imagination Ike's seemed just as easy as metaknights and samus'. don't know about the dtilt. Have you done the reverse pivot though? I don't think that thread tells you how to do it.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
edit: I also found out that Ike can foxtrot continuesly (I think I mis spelled that) by just rotating the stick lol. don't know if it was already known or not probably is and even if it isn't idk what fox troting is for I do it with marth but don't really acomplish anything. (maybe I just suck)
Fox trotting is useful for some characters, I don't know about Brawl but it came from melee(possibly 64, I don't know) where if you repeatedly mash the direction to run with Fox, you would run faster than normal because the initial dash animation was faster than his run. It could be applied to other characters as well for good results, but not all.

Well, I recorded the video as it played on youtube and edited it from that. Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8020K4j6AY0
The recording program I have could not record the video as it played in my computer, but it could record it as it played on youtube. :ohwell:

XACE-K

Smash Master
From you saying foxtrot I assume you end up running. If so you should rotate the control stick slower, go at a walking pace. I don't know if it would help but try meta knight first, I started with him because I saw the video of him first and he can go a good distance. I also found him to be easier in the long run but that too could have been my imagination.
That could be my problem. I'll try again later.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
What happened to betaz he was the one who started this conversation yet he has said nothing. Any of you test out the grab yet? it seems that for some characters it works nicely I haven't had the time been really busy lately and to tired to do it right now.

XACE-K

Smash Master
What happened to betaz he was the one who started this conversation yet he has said nothing. Any of you test out the grab yet? it seems that for some characters it works nicely I haven't had the time been really busy lately and to tired to do it right now.
I'm still trying to do the pivot boost. I did it once out of 20 times and I just used his d-tilt for some reason. Once I get better I can hopefully give something useful to this thread.

Betaz

Smash Ace
ehhh? >.>

I was just looking at the results... <.< I can't really contribute to it since I don't have my Wii...any ways my opinion of this is so far; is that f-tilt benifits the most of this...<.< btw has anyone tried d-smash? I see someone tried f-smash but that got barely any boost and doesn't seem that usable...same with u-tilt...as for grabbing, there is a AT called boost grabbing...but I don't think it has anything to do with pivoting (I could be wrong don't take my word for that)

anyways I have'nt talked till now mostly because I don't have my Wii (no Wii = no Brawl = :( Betaz) and I've been playing The World Ends With You....which has sucked all my time...

EDIT: So I found out what boostgrabbing is...it's where you cancel your dash attack into a grab...however when I searched for boost grabbing all results were found for melee...so it might not be in brawl (but I'm sure I saw someone talking about it somewhere on the Brawl boards.... =/)

EDIT2: ok so boostgrabbing is in...along with reverse boost grabbing >:D ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169086 ) so...reverse boostgrabbing looks amazing and could REALLY improve Ike's game, so regular boost grabbing is done the same way you would do snakes mortar slide...only instead of an u-smash it's a grab...reverse is done the same way only you press the other direction as your grabbing. Because reverse boostgrabbing uses the grab with a bigger the biggest grab box (as we all know Ike's grab game is kinda iffy at times...) his biggest grab is quite large ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMPQnabTEs&feature=user ) there is a vid of reverse boostgrabbing (Ike is about 40 seconds into it) the funny thing is, I see this all the time I just never noticed it:laugh:

XACE-K

Smash Master
EDIT: So I found out what boostgrabbing is...it's where you cancel your dash attack into a grab...however when I searched for boost grabbing all results were found for melee...so it might not be in brawl (but I'm sure I saw someone talking about it somewhere on the Brawl boards.... =/)

EDIT2: ok so boostgrabbing is in...along with reverse boost grabbing >:D ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169086 ) so...reverse boostgrabbing looks amazing and could REALLY improve Ike's game, so regular boost grabbing is done the same way you would do snakes mortar slide...only instead of an u-smash it's a grab...reverse is done the same way only you press the other direction as your grabbing. Because reverse boostgrabbing uses the grab with a bigger the biggest grab box (as we all know Ike's grab game is kinda iffy at times...) his biggest grab is quite large ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpMPQnabTEs&feature=user ) there is a vid of reverse boostgrabbing (Ike is about 40 seconds into it) the funny thing is, I see this all the time I just never noticed it:laugh:
Guess I have more stuff to try out.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
About the pivot boost, I'm starting to doubt if there is any slide added to the attacks or not. If anyone can find out if there is a slide or not as well it would be helpful. We should figure this out before saying it is useful.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I tried out Ike's boostgrab and it really helps his grab game A LOT. I tried it in practice mode against different characters and I could grab them when Ike was in front of them using the boostgrab. I just need to try it against a human player than a CPU in training mode.

About the pivot boost, I'm starting to doubt if there is any slide added to the attacks or not. If anyone can find out if there is a slide or not as well it would be helpful. We should figure this out before saying it is useful.
I tried the pivot boost again and I don't see and added slide. The attacks I used once the slide started stopped Ike's slide. I'll probably try again later.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I tried the pivot boost again and I don't see and added slide. The attacks I used once the slide started stopped Ike's slide. I'll probably try again later.
That's what I'm thinking, when I first messed with it I thought that Ike was sliding while using the ftilt but later I wanted to check if that was what was happening and it looked like Ike did not slide at all, if so then this is just fancy walking and is unnecessary. Unless it moves faster then Ike's walk, that's not something I've tested.

XACE-K

Smash Master
That's what I'm thinking, when I first messed with it I thought that Ike was sliding while using the ftilt but later I wanted to check if that was what was happening and it looked like Ike did not slide at all, if so then this is just fancy walking and is unnecessary. Unless it moves faster then Ike's walk, that's not something I've tested.
Well I guess the pivot boost is better for some characters than for others. Also I tested the reverse boost grab some more and Ike seems to slide back when you run, slide the c-stick down and press z and move the control stick in the opposite direction than just z and the control stick in the other direction.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^ it's easy as hell just keep practicing. you aren't going to slide as far as snake btw.

Like I said before the only thing that I thought of it being useful is for edge guarding when your opponent is hanging on the ledge. All it really servers for is to give you a bit more mind games. sometimes during battles If i just crouch my opponent stops moving for some odd reason. maybe its because if they attack they expect me to counter right away or something like that. then you can just turn around and F. tilt them all of a sudden.

I've never actually done the reverse boost grab in a match and I can't tell the difference between the normal boost grab and a running grab.

I'm thinking it may be better to test some of these out in matches and post those videos instead of just doing the technique.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^ you need to start quoting who you reply to instead of things you copy and paste. I never know what you are talking about since you call things it.

edit: it seems like the only reason you posted that was to post.

Anyways the boost smash actually has a bit more range than a running or hyphen smash. not sure which would reach further reverse dash or boost smash. Its not that hard to pull off once you get it a few times.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I've never actually done the reverse boost grab in a match and I can't tell the difference between the normal boost grab and a running grab.

I'm thinking it may be better to test some of these out in matches and post those videos instead of just doing the technique.
Running grab is just running and press z.

Boost grab is running and press the c-stick down and than press z and the control stick in whatever direction you're facing.

Betaz

Smash Ace
^ I know that... I just can't tell the difference when I do them as in does it actually matter doing a boost grab or is it just like a dash grab?
a boost grab (if done correctly) adds a little slide to your grab(I believe a standing grab). a reverse boost grab can allow you can do the backwards grab (as in your running then all the sudden you push back and grab...) forward, if you so choose you can do it backwards, along with the slide...so in other words (since Ike can get a really good slide with the RBG(<--Reverse boost grab) this allows Ike to have...like...an Omega sized grab range:p

XACE-K

Smash Master
^ I know that... I just can't tell the difference when I do them as in does it actually matter doing a boost grab or is it just like a dash grab?
The dash grab just looks like a running grab. Boost grab looks like just a regular grab except your sliding when you do it.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
I didn't want to spam the boards with this, but I wanted everyone to know that my faith in Ike has been renewed. I will shift my focus from PT back to Ike. Eventually, I plan on sifting through all of the previous threads and organizing the information, creating the most uber guide these boards have ever seen.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I didn't want to spam the boards with this, but I wanted everyone to know that my faith in Ike has been renewed. I will shift my focus from PT back to Ike. Eventually, I plan on sifting through all of the previous threads and organizing the information, creating the most uber guide these boards have ever seen.
kool although I don't know who you are lol. anyways I think empy and kirks guide is pretty good just hasn't been updated in a while idk whats up with empy it was going along great.

Beat

Smash Ace
What are everyone's thoughts on playing exclusively Ike? I'm thoroughly convinced after Critical Hit that every Ike main needs at least one decent secondary.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Nothing wrong with having a side. But the thing is, are you going to balence playing time with Ike and your side. I main Ike, but I have Pit secondary, but I never really properly trained with Pit since I'm so focused to play with Ike.

Beat

Smash Ace
What I'm saying is this. There are going to be walls you'll hit with Ike, especially the top and high tiers. Rob and GnW might not be awful for Ike, but Metaknight is a devastating counter to Ike. I know you may think otherwise if you play scrubby wifi MKs, or even decent local ones, but after seeing some of the best Ikes resort to secondaries for the match-up, it's good to train a really good secondary.

At the moment I have a Falco for my tough match-ups, and I'm working on a Snake.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I never planed on maining just Ike. 35 roster is great, I already have Ike, Toon Link, and Wolf. I'm training Marth and I can see myself picking up Pikachu and many others down the road. It may take a while to get them all good but it will undeniably help in the future. All I can say is that the roster is just too good, I can't stick with only one character.

Right now Ike is my best and favorite so I use him mostly.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm going to main Ike for a long time. My Marth and R.O.B. are pretty good and I actually win with them sometimes after I've been loosing with Ike but winning with Ike just feels a lot better especially when they go holy crap I've never faced one whos doesn't spam aether or F. smash.

Wonder what character would be the best 2nd if you main Ike to be used as a counter pick.

P.S. I'm really glad this has been having discussions lately. Hope I don't jinx it.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
If I ever make a combo vid its going to be I fight for my hommies no one better steal that its even in my sig already.

edit: I'm gana add the combo videos to the list and a few of yours if I you have some recent kool ones.

second edit: nvm I'm on vacation and vids take for ever to load. P.S. did I kill the conversations we had going on? lets try and start it up again.

Anyone know some stages that are good for Ike and bad for snake cause apparently every stage is godly for snake except for like a few which idk if they give an advantage to Ike or not.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
I definitely agree with you Beat. Ike's a solid character tourney wise IMO, but I feel as though that you need a secondary to cover his bad matchups. For me, it's Marth because I mained him in Melee. I do just fine against Snake when I'm Ike, but I switch if I'm playing a really smart MK. I also play as ZSS because she, like Marth, helps me work on my spacing.

Anyway, I have a question. How risky is it to run of the stage to try to ledge spike your opponent with a bair when they're attempting to recover from below? I've always thought that it could work since it's his fastest aerial meaning that you could definitely recover from it. I'm thinking of two possible outcomes. The first being that if you do hit them, they'll die from the ledge spike. The second being that you miss, but use Aether to recover. If you do miss I think that your opponent wouldn't be able to punish you because of the chance of them being Aether spiked as long as they're not on the stage. Thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom