• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Fighter For Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
We all knew they wouldn't leave him out of Nintendo Land since he is the most referenced of all retro Nintendo characters.
I think that's right. I actually kept track of all the games Balloon Fight was referenced in as I'm a huge nerd of the series. Here they are:

Game Boy Camera
Animal Forest (Animal Crossing 64)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Animal Crossing
Kururin Paradise
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega MicroGame$
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
WarioWare: Touched!
WarioWare: Twisted!
Daigassou! Band Brothers
Yoshi Touch & Go!
Donkey Konga 3: All You Can Eat! 50 Freshly-Picked Springtime Songs
Electroplankton
Tetris DS
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Picross DS
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Jam with the Band
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
WarioWare: DIY
WarioWare: DIY Showcase
Pushmo
Nintendo Land

MarcheR

Smash Rookie
NNID
mars
3DS FC
1177-7044-9396
I'm gonna be mega-unhappy when the roster is announced and Balloon Fighter isn't on it. This is easily one of my favourite NES games, and it would not be hard at all to include a smash bro-esque stage from the game, or tunes/items.

I think that the pump should feature more in his attacks; perhaps as ftilt he swings it forward, or as up-b he comically blows himself up with it. I feel like the moveset in the OP has too much knockback for such little damage he does, and would just make him bad.

The physics of a floating character with balloons is really too cool. Would it be unrealistic to give him 'floating' ability when walking, similar to Peach's (but doesn't work over empty air, gravity would apply)? Just to avoid the likes of tripping, or treadmills.

And what about a lightningrod? Everyone's been shocked by those stupid clouds once; at least in Final Smash, make it possible to abuse that horrible current!

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Balloon Fighter would be dope, he was actually was one of the very first trophies I looked at in Melee and thought to myself, "Wow, this dude would actually be a cool character to play as"

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
If I had a non-derpy phone, I'd post a link to the NintendoLand Balloon Fighter video that Game Informer put up today.

But everyone should totally go look it up.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to see, a slowly but surely, increase in support for Balloon Fighter. :)

I know Sakurai chose Ice Climbers in favor of Balloon Fighter, BUT all he needs is some motivation and inspiration to come up with a nice moveset that would work :)

I'm really hoping Sakurai had the same "Useless without..." thought process with Olimar, but felt pressured to create an awesome moveset because he was an absolute worthy addition, at the time.

Maybe that broke his "Useless without..." mentality and will strive to work on a Balloon Fighter moveset!

Imagine: Balloon Fighter vs. Ice Climbers vs. Pit vs. Takamaru :) Maybe Pit cleared up a "Retro" spot, and lack of another retro hardware character left another one too! haha

So:

RETRO SERIES:

Melee:
+1. Ice Climbers
+2. Mr. Game and Watch

Brawl:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Mr. Game and Watch
+3. Pit
+4. R.O.B

Post-Brawl:
Pit received a new game, isn't retro anymore!
-3. Pit

Smash Bros. 4
1. Ice Climbers
2. Mr. Game and Watch
+3. _____ (Pit's Spot)
4. R.O.B
+5. (Takamaru?)
+6. (Balloon Fighter?)

I figured out the system guys! There will be 3 spots open for Retro additions next installment! :D

/Hopes and dreams.

If I had a non-derpy phone, I'd post a link to the NintendoLand Balloon Fighter video that Game Informer put up today.

But everyone should totally go look it up.
Got it :) Click the link everyone!

NINTENDO LAND BALLOON TRIP GAMEPLAY NOW LIVE!

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I always considered G&W and R.O.B. less "retro" and more "Nintendo hardware."

Like how R.O.B. was a Famicom peripheral and G&W handhelds were symbolized by Mr. G&W. If Miis were to appear, that's the category I would put them in, mostly because they represent the Wii so much.

But that's just the way I sort things in my head. No right or wrong.

But I think a good trio for both "Nintendo hardware" and "retro" would be awesome.

Mr. G&W, R.O.B., and Mii

Ice Climbers, Balloonist, Takamaru

Those are my picks for each. But anyway, back to the Balloonist.

That video got me a bit hyped about NintendoLand.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
The comments are absolutely repulsive... my gosh. I'm looking so forward to nintendo land now!! All the games look like good fun! Fun little puzzlers for an hour a two to just relax. Not play a serious game after a hard days work.
One guy said Nintendo doesn't make new IPs. Another said it looked boring. We havent seen balloon fighter in so long how is this not exciting!!!

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Well, the world is rooting against Wii U, so I just sorta started tuning them out.

You'd think everyone would've learned by now...

Don't bet against Nintendo.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The comments are absolutely repulsive... my gosh. I'm looking so forward to nintendo land now!! All the games look like good fun! Fun little puzzlers for an hour a two to just relax. Not play a serious game after a hard days work.
One guy said Nintendo doesn't make new IPs. Another said it looked boring. We havent seen balloon fighter in so long how is this not exciting!!!
Lol, I know. I'm not actually a huge Balloon Fight fan and this looks really cool. People are just looking for reasons to hate.

Edit: Nintendo isn't making new IPs? Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, and HarmoKnight suddenly don't count, huh?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I know. I'm not actually a huge Balloon Fight fan and this looks really cool. People are just looking for reasons to hate.

Edit: Nintendo isn't making new IPs? Dillon's Rolling Western, Pushmo, and HarmoKnight suddenly don't count, huh?
Yeah that's what I mean!!! I don't understand why they have to hate Nintendo! When all theyre games are so good and original. How many shooters nitnendo got? 3. Sin and Punishment, Kid Icarus, and Metroid. all very different.

Idk how they can say no new IPs. They have no idea about Dillon, Pushmo, Xenoblade, Sakura Samurai, Pandora's Tower (obviously)... I've never heard of Harmoknight. I'll look it up and edit the post.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see, a slowly but surely, increase in support for Balloon Fighter. :)

I know Sakurai chose Ice Climbers in favor of Balloon Fighter, BUT all he needs is some motivation and inspiration to come up with a nice moveset that would work :)

I'm really hoping Sakurai had the same "Useless without..." thought process with Olimar, but felt pressured to create an awesome moveset because he was an absolute worthy addition, at the time.

Maybe that broke his "Useless without..." mentality and will strive to work on a Balloon Fighter moveset!

Imagine: Balloon Fighter vs. Ice Climbers vs. Pit vs. Takamaru :) Maybe Pit cleared up a "Retro" spot, and lack of another retro hardware character left another one too! haha

So:

RETRO SERIES:

Melee:
+1. Ice Climbers
+2. Mr. Game and Watch

Brawl:
1. Ice Climbers
2. Mr. Game and Watch
+3. Pit
+4. R.O.B

Post-Brawl:
Pit received a new game, isn't retro anymore!
-3. Pit

Smash Bros. 4
1. Ice Climbers
2. Mr. Game and Watch
+3. _____ (Pit's Spot)
4. R.O.B
+5. (Takamaru?)
+6. (Balloon Fighter?)

I figured out the system guys! There will be 3 spots open for Retro additions next installment! :D

/Hopes and dreams.

Got it :) Click the link everyone!

NINTENDO LAND BALLOON TRIP GAMEPLAY NOW LIVE!
I've been wondering though. Why is GaW even retro? I mean he looks it, but he still releases games pretty much once a year, granted when he got into melee he hadn't been in the new millennium, but it was just 1999! I mean in brawl his last game was 2006, but in several years he released 2 or 3! With Game and Wario on the Wii U, possibly less than a year before SSB4 goes onto wii U, would he be considered retro?

D

Deleted member

As much as I don't consider G&W Retro, Sakurai apparently does.
In Brawl, there are Sticker lines for various series and groups, one particular group are the "Retros", which consist of Ice Climbers, G&W, Pit, and R.O.B.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
As much as I don't consider G&W Retro, Sakurai apparently does.
In Brawl, there are Sticker lines for various series and groups, one particular group are the "Retros", which consist of Ice Climbers, G&W, Pit, and R.O.B.
Wow, I never realized that. I was joking about considering G&W and R.O.B. retro, as I thought they'd be considered "Hardware" characters; that happened to be retro.

But if Sakurai considers them retro, that does open up the possibility of two retro slots, since there are no more viable retro hardware characters?

I am also beginning to think Mii's shouldn't be considered "Hardware" since they star in their own games... This situation is tough. Haha

:phone:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Oh so tough.
Balloon Fighter may have been my first retro game played. It was on Animal Crossing! That and Clu clu Land me and my brother would come home and play after school for a half hour or so just for kicks!
This next one will be great!
Just kind of babbling, but im hoping this leads to his inclusion. I'd like to see more retro characters that could cause revivals and such

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
It's really encouraging to see that this thread convincing people too add Balloon Fighter to their rosters!!

SmashShadow, glad to see a new supporter! and I admire the dedication, Peacock. :]

He's so iconic, I just hope Sakurai returns to the idea and draws inspiration from Olimar. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I've been wondering though. Why is GaW even retro? I mean he looks it, but he still releases games pretty much once a year, granted when he got into melee he hadn't been in the new millennium, but it was just 1999! I mean in brawl his last game was 2006, but in several years he released 2 or 3! With Game and Wario on the Wii U, possibly less than a year before SSB4 goes onto wii U, would he be considered retro?
When was the last time Mr. Game & Watch actually had a new game that isn't a Mario-themed remake or a DSiWare port? 1990 or earlier? That's probably why Sakurai still considers him a retro character.

jigglover

Smash Lord
2006 or 2004, not sure if game and watch collection is a DS port or not. Still no reason for him to be retro in brawl, though it was good 5 or 6 years since a GaW game at the time of Melee.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Game & Watch Collection are Mario games, though. Aren't they? Mr. G&W himself has yet to see a new glory. (He is a logo on the 3DS shop channel, though. :D)

D

Deleted member

After watching gameplay of Balloon Fight, I see that enemies actually use pumps to inflate balloons.
I originally thought the pump idea was just as a way to counter the uselessness problem; I had no idea it was actually used in-game in some way.
And I also see parachutes from downed enemies. Perhaps when both balloons pop, BF falls with a parachute until he's hit again or lands?

BTW, I used to be meh on Balloon Fighter. Now I want him almost as much as I want Mach Rider. ....Almost.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Balloon Fighter is probably the only character that I support for SSB4. I just see so much potential in his moveset and play style. The balloons don't detract from the character, but rather, make him quite an interesting player in my eyes. I made a specials-only moveset for him quite a while ago that I haven't yet shared here. I don't know if it is similar to anyone else's because I haven't looked at all of them, but whatever, here it is:

Balloon Based Playstyle Overview:

Before I get into specials, I want to talk about the character's balloon-based playstyle, and how I see it working. First of all, I imagine Balloon Fighter's running speed and attacking speed to be average. He also has average attack strength and average weight/knock back resistance. In the air, however, he is very different. He has aerial maneuverability and speed to rival that of Jigglypuff's, and also has very slow falling speed.

Ballon Fighter's balloons aren't completely essential to his play style, but having balloons handy can be the difference between a win and a loss, as they can greatly aid recovery by affecting jumping, air speed and fall speed. You can obtain up to two balloons. Each Balloon will give the Balloon fighter two more midair jumps (six jumps total), as well as slightly affect falling speed and air speed (faster air speed, slower falling speed).

Once the player accumulates 35% damage after a balloon is pumped, that Balloon will pop, and the player will have to pump a new one. Other than aiding the player in recovery, the balloons are not completely essential to the Balloon Fighter's game (it's similar to the Ice Climber's dependence on one another. You can play as one, but the character's full potential is unleashed when both are used).

SPECIAL MOVES...

STANDARD SPECIAL: ~ <Flipper>
-This one is simple. Balloon Fighter pulls out a flipper and twirls it for about a second, inflicting damage and deflecting some projectiles. It is similar to Pit's Side Special, but with more knock-back and not as "spammable".

SIDE SPECIAL: ~ <Sky Dive>
-This move has a slightly different effect depending on if it is used in the air or on the ground. On the ground, the Balloon fighter will jump quickly into the air, then dive back toward the ground diagonally in the direction he's facing (think Yoshi or Bowser's Down Special), scoring consecutive hits with moderate knock-back. While in the air, Balloon Fighter will again dive toward the ground diagonally, scoring consecutive hits. The aerial version of this move has a meteor smash affect at it's peak. (This move is meant to reflect the Balloon Fighter descending upon enemies to pop their Balloons in his game).

DOWN SPECIAL: ~ <Balloon Pump>
-Here is where things really get interesting. I've already explained the balloon-based playstyle, but using the down special is your only means of obtaining these balloons. All that is needed to begin pumping the Balloon is the simple "Down + B" input. Whether on the ground or in midair, the Balloon Fighter will begin pumping. It takes five pumps for one Balloon, and each pump is about half a second (5 seconds total for both balloons). If the Balloon Fighter is hit while pumping, the Balloon will pop and he will have to start over. So be sure you have a couple seconds handy.

UP SPECIAL: ~ <Parachute>
Balloon Fighter will pull out a massive parachute, greatly slowing his fall and allowing himself more time to recover horizontally. The only problem with this move is that it will deflate both balloons if you happen to have any, and they must be pumped again. This move is most handy when you have no balloons but need to recover. The initial input of this move allows for some slight vertical recovery as well.

Thar it is. What do y'all think?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Nice moveset Spydr!
I had actually thought he could leave a flipper somewhere and use it as a trap or projectile of sorts. Or to add more to his moveset he could use the electrical output from the clouds, or even the birds. A stretch yes, but original!

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
If Balloon Fighter has balloons tied to his back, should he run slower based on how many balloons are inflated at any given time?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
If Balloon Fighter has balloons tied to his back, should he run slower based on how many balloons are inflated at any given time?

Nah, it's not like they're heavy or anything. I think that the only way balloons should affect his movement is in his fall speed (more balloons = slower fall speed) and air speed (more balloons = faster air speed). Other than that, it wouldn't make sense for them to affect anything else.

jigglover

Smash Lord
So what I'm getting at is that for balloon fighter to have much use, you need to blow up balloons to go on his back, the more balloons the better, if you go wrong though, and all of the balloons pop, then he can't jump and he's done for if he gets knocked off the stage, unless they give him wall cling and a mid-air jump. It takes about 5 seconds to pump up balloons so caustically Balloon fighter is better on larger stages due to his great speed to run and use his pump. This gimmick seems like something I'm going to enjoy like HELL.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
The way I see it, he can only get up to two balloons (like in the game), and each Balloon will add two extra mid-air jumps. If he is knocked off without any balloons, he still has a single midair jump and his up special recovery, so it isn't completely hopeless. In order to solidify his aerial game and his recovery potential, you want both balloons to be pumped.

Yes, he would probably be better on bigger stages, because he can create a bigger distance between himself and opponents to give him time to pump balloons.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I just got an idea. Maybe he could throw a package as a projectile move.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I also have a moveset although I did borrow some of Spydr Enzo's ideas.

Neutral B: Package
Balloon Fighter pulls out a package much like link does and can throw it as a projectile. The brown package itself does about 7% damage but rarely you'll get a red package which will explode on impact doing 21% damage. (Inspired form Balloon Trip Breeze)

Side B: Flipper
A multi-hit attck in which he pulls out a flipper much in the same way Pit does though less spammy and lengthy. It reflects projectiles and the last hit sends the opponent flying in the opposite direction like the flipper from Melee did.

Down B: Balloon Pump
All that is needed to begin pumping the Balloon is the simple "Down + B" input. Whether on the ground or in midair, the Balloon Fighter will begin pumping. It takes five pumps for one Balloon, and each pump is about half a second (5 seconds total for both balloons). If the Balloon Fighter is hit while pumping, the Balloon will pop and he will have to start over. So be sure you have a couple seconds handy.

Up B: Boost Balloon
Balloon Fighter takes one of his balloons and pops it at the bottom.

In the air:
At the cost of 1 balloon, he will hold the deflating balloon as he rises while it shoots out a stream of air below him. This will act like R.O.B's Robo Burner but relatively short as it last only 2 seconds. Not only that but the stream of air below him acts like F.L.U.D.D or Watergun and pushes enemies below him downwards. This can be used to meteor smash opponents.

On the ground:
Balloon fighter lets go of the popped balloon as it heads straight up. The balloon will hit the opponent doing 7% damage but because of the wind spewing below the balloon it will cause the person hit to be sent falling downward instead of to the sides. This attack is relatively quick and helpful for getting opponents out of the air.

Changes:
-Spydr's side B to his dash attack and down A.
- I also thought the parachute could be used in the same way the glide mechanic was used in brawl although you'd only be able to use it when you have no balloons.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Balloon Fighter would be interesting. I feel that if he were added, he would be an advanced-usage character, such as Olimar. In other words, in order to play as him well, it takes alot of strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom