• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Fighter For Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I quote that. I think his attack would be mostly kick based, since he used his soles the most in his game.
How would his balloons work? Well, I see it like this:
He starts with two ballons but as B + down attack he can add another one. But does it slowly and he can't have more than three balloons, just like in the battle mode of Mario Kart. Each balloon can be destroyed, making him lose his flying ability proportionally, and repristinated in upper said way.
Since this implies he has a pump, and since the game is developed by Namco he might borrow some moves from Dig Dug. Why not? Nintendo gave the moves of Bub & Bob to a little Yoshi. This wouldn't be stranger. He could even have the color scheme of Dig Dug as alt suit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Balloon Fighter gets in, I hope his stage is Pencilvania from Balloon Kid. I've always liked the idea of skyscrapers designed after pencils and erasers. It could be the new Saffron City or the new Fourside.

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If Balloon Fighter gets in, I hope his stage is Pencilvania from Balloon Kid. I've always liked the idea of skyscrapers designed after pencils and erasers. It could be the new Saffron City or the new Fourside.

I hope it does happen since Balloon Kid is considered a sequel to Balloon Fight.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope it does happen since Balloon Kid is considered a sequel to Balloon Fight.

Yes. And people tend to forget about Balloon Kid. At least Pencilvania should live on through Balloon Fighter, should he get in Smash. It would be pretty cool if the art style was somewhat like the Balloon Fight attraction in Nintendo Land. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't forget about Balloon kid, I just liked Balloon fighter better

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
So Ballon Fight was announced as the first of the .30 cents games for the 30th anniversary of the Famicom. The others 5?

Balloon Fight today thru 2/21
F-Zero 2/20-3/21
Punch Out 3/20 - 4/18
Kirby's Adventure 4/17 - 5/16
Super Metroid 5/15 - 6/13
Yoshi 6/12 - 7/11
Donkey Kong 7/15 - 8/13

I think Nintendo is using this opportunity to bring attention to the "less popular" series. Balloon Fight and Punch Out stand out- especially because Little Mac is considered a huge contender for the next installment.

I don't know guys, I really think Nintendo is pushing the Balloon Fight franchise (through Nintendo Land and now the first virtual console release for the Wii U).

I think Balloon Fighter's chances are being overlooked :)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Don't forget that Balloon Fight was also a 3DS Ambassador title and that it's sequel (Balloon Kid) is available on the 3DS eShop. If this plus what you said isn't a sign of Balloon Fight making a huge comeback then everyone must be crazy. Sakurai tested Balloon Fighter in the Melee days and now's the perfect chance to look at him again!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah. I agree that Balloon Fighter seems like a strong retro candidate now. I'm warming up to the idea of Balloon Fighter in Smash but there are still other retro characters I'd rather see get in Smash before him but he's still a solid choice!

Speculator

Smash Ace
Yes. And people tend to forget about Balloon Kid. At least Pencilvania should live on through Balloon Fighter, should he get in Smash. It would be pretty cool if the art style was somewhat like the Balloon Fight attraction in Nintendo Land. :awesome:

Interestingly, Japan never actually got the original Balloon Kid game until it was released on 3DS Virtual Console. Same with the Kid Icarus Game Boy game. That could explain it's abscence from Nintendo's regular references to Balloon Fight.

I don't know guys, I really think Nintendo is pushing the Balloon Fight franchise (through Nintendo Land and now the first virtual console release for the Wii U).
I definitely agree with this. Balloon Fight is getting a lot of attention at the moment. Aside from introducing the Famicom 30th anniversary and being the inspiration for a Nintendo Land game, it's also has two special episodes of a popular Japanese retro games show dedicated to it over the last few months, with Iwata himself appearing in one of them. It's not like they were shy about referencing its music or anything in games before, but now there definitely seems to be a push to bring it further into the public eye.

I saw a really nice moveset image a while ago that used the game sprites and used elements from the game for the moves. I'll try and find it and post it here.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interestingly, Japan never actually got the original Balloon Kid game until it was released on 3DS Virtual Console. Same with the Kid Icarus Game Boy game. That could explain it's abscence from Nintendo's regular references to Balloon Fight.
Actually, Japan did get Balloon Kid but it was for Game Boy Color in 2000 whereas North America got it for the original Game Boy in 1990. That's why Balloon Kid is in color in the Japanese 3DS eShop and black-and-white in the North American 3DS eShop.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Actually, Japan did get Balloon Kid but it was for Game Boy Color in 2000 whereas North America got it for the original Game Boy in 1990. That's why Balloon Kid is in color in the Japanese 3DS eShop and black-and-white in the North American 3DS eShop.
Ah, I forgot about the GBC version. Still though, not getting the original must have obscured it somewhat, and it's not terribly well-known anyway. I love the game myself, but I don't think Alice would get in over the Balloon Fighter.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
Gosh, its amazing how unique BF would be and how much he could bring to smash.

I saw a moveset somewhere where his final smash was "Balloon Trip" That would be amazing!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wow, that moveset is beastly. I'm with the Takamaru crowd, but I'm sowly being sold on Balloon Fighter. I think the idea that his FS would be Ballon Trip could be pretty interesting, although...

I imagined it as moving the stage far to the right suddenly, and that seems kind of imbalanced, as everyone else would just die.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think he should have attacks that directly involve using his balloons such as an attack that pops his balloon.

That way, the whole idea of having the pump the balloons adds more to his moveset.

The popping balloon could be a move that, while in the air, forces him downward (Or side to side) rapidly

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I think he should have attacks that directly involve using his balloons such as an attack that pops his balloon.

That way, the whole idea of having the pump the balloons adds more to his moveset.

The popping balloon could be a move that, while in the air, forces him downward (Or side to side) rapidly
My move set back on page 2 may have gotten lost so I'll repost. Bit it has what I think you're talking about :)

If the image is complicated I can repost the explantation too haha

Speculator

Smash Ace
Wow, that moveset is beastly. I'm with the Takamaru crowd, but I'm sowly being sold on Balloon Fighter. I think the idea that his FS would be Ballon Trip could be pretty interesting, although...

I imagined it as moving the stage far to the right suddenly, and that seems kind of imbalanced, as everyone else would just die.
Maybe it could just move in a bunch of lightning balls from the side of the stage without moving the stage itself. Maybe flood the bottom of the stage and bring the fish in, too. Everybody has to jump around avoiding the lightning balls, making sure not to fall off into the water.

That moveset is nice. But about his design, do you want him 2d like g&w, or 3d?
Definitely a 3D redesign like the other NES era characters.

The only problem I have with that is that he never does that in his games. I know Smash movesets don't always strictly follow the games, but I think they should try and use elements from the original Balloon Fight as much as they can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only problem I have with that is that he never does that in his games. I know Smash movesets don't always strictly follow the games, but I think they should try and use elements from the original Balloon Fight as much as they can.
Ice Climbers say hi.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ice Climbers had nothing to work with really. all they did was swing a hammer, which they also no in Smash.
That's right. And Balloon Fighter didn't do anything more other than flapping his wings like a child pretending to be a bird. It shouldn't be an issue. :awesome:

Speculator

Smash Ace
That's right. And Balloon Fighter didn't do anything more other than flapping his wings like a child pretending to be a bird. It shouldn't be an issue. :awesome:
The point is that it's better to take inspiration from the source material where possible. They even did that with the Ice Climbers - the chunks of ice they shoot with Ice Shot were originally used by the Topi enemies to fix the gaps they made in the ice in Ice Climber. Same goes with their Belay recovery - that was based on the strategy in multiplayer of bouncing one character on top of the other to create higher up gaps in the ice or to make climbing easier.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I know i might get lynched for this (and it might have been brought up before). But what if balloon fighter got in ssb4, but he was a mii like in nintendoland? Say for instance he would still be completely his own character but the player could use there own mii for the face of balloon fighter like what was done for balloon trip breeze, it could kill two birds with one stone in the process.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But what if balloon fighter got in ssb4, but he was a mii like in nintendoland? Say for instance he would still be completely his own character but the player could use there own mii for the face of balloon fighter like what was done for balloon trip breeze, it could kill two birds with one stone in the process.
Seems unlikely. Every player in Nintendo Land is a Mii for that matter.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
This would be awesome.

I imagine his speed and mobility being much like Mario's while on the ground, but his balloons making him much more floaty (and borderline aerial) after jumping.

Purely for nostalgic reasons, they should make this work. ^_^

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Seems unlikely. Every player in Nintendo Land is a Mii for that matter.:phone:
True but since the balloon fighter doesnt really have that memorable of a mug (or personality) it couldnt hurt to give players the chance to throw themselves in there in a similar fashion. He could end up as a character that represents the new and the old all at once.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
True but since the balloon fighter doesnt really have that memorable of a mug (or personality) it couldnt hurt to give players the chance to throw themselves in there in a similar fashion. He could end up as a character that represents the new and the old all at once.
Ice Climbers weren't memorable or had personality before they showed up in Melee. At least Balloon Fight was a better NES game compared to Ice Climber... no wonder it got a Game Boy sequel.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I know i might get lynched for this (and it might have been brought up before). But what if balloon fighter got in ssb4, but he was a mii like in nintendoland? Say for instance he would still be completely his own character but the player could use there own mii for the face of balloon fighter like what was done for balloon trip breeze, it could kill two birds with one stone in the process.
I understand your thinking, but I think Balloon Fighter would better serve to represent his own game. I don't have strong feelings either way on Miis in Smash, but as I said in the Mii thread I think they would suit a mixture of moves from games they star in - Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Pilotwings Resort, that kind of thing. Sort of a modern-day Mr. Game & Watch.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is actually a lot I have to say about Balloon Fighter (and Balloon Fight in general). I am not a supporter for the character, though I can say I really enjoyed Balloon Fight (its probably my favorite of the early NES games aside from Super Mario Bros. and Metroid). I will say my thoughts about Balloon Fighter when I have more time. However, one thing to note is that I have seen people asking for Balloon Fighter even before Melee's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom