• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #1: Diddy Kong

TreK

Is "that guy"
DMG is right (looks like you guys would want me to say 'for once' ô_o)

QCDI + SDI on Falco's dair, and you'll land onstage. It takes NO PRACTICE and I'm doing it consistently. I found out it worked midmatch, in a tournament match actually. Didn't go a single time in training mode or anything for it.
Tech rolling to the center of the stage should take a little more practice, so maybe you'll still get followed up by a dash attack or something ; but this is nowhere near as bad as getting edgeguarded.

Just learning this should also help you to find answers about the onstage dthrow to dairs which tend to lead to totally unlegit followups... Maybe that's just with m and my awful reflexes ^_^

This doesn't work only when the Falco throws you from the most advanced point he can go (a bit before the ledge just so Falco can dash). However, it's up to YOU to decide where he's gonna spike you : you can shorten the distance between two grabs by DIing to falco, and you can make it longer by DIing away. Guide him so he has to decide between dairing you or letting you go. If you mess up, it's indeed better to DI away from the stage so you can recover diagonally, like you're used to. You should recognize that just by sight.

Don't forget that you can stop any CG as long as you have got a banana in hand, too.

The two Falcos I played against in tourney (three times each one, I'm that unlucky xD) stopped cg-to-dair-ing me as soon as the third stock of the first match. They still won, because those guys are amazing, but it made me a lot more troublesome opponent, more troublesome than I should have been for them.

Hating the matchup as much as I do made me play it a lot better... I wish it was the case for Olimar and MK too, which are basically the only two characters I hate playing against :V

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
DMG is right (looks like you guys would want me to say 'for once' ô_o)

QCDI + SDI on Falco's dair, and you'll land onstage. It takes NO PRACTICE and I'm doing it consistently. I found out it worked midmatch, in a tournament match actually. Didn't go a single time in training mode or anything for it.
Tech rolling to the center of the stage should take a little more practice, so maybe you'll still get followed up by a dash attack or something ; but this is nowhere near as bad as getting edgeguarded.

Just learning this should also help you to find answers about the onstage dthrow to dairs which tend to lead to totally unlegit followups... Maybe that's just with m and my awful reflexes ^_^

This doesn't work only when the Falco throws you from the most advanced point he can go (a bit before the ledge just so Falco can dash). However, it's up to YOU to decide where he's gonna spike you : you can shorten the distance between two grabs by DIing to falco, and you can make it longer by DIing away. Guide him so he has to decide between dairing you or letting you go. If you mess up, it's indeed better to DI away from the stage so you can recover diagonally, like you're used to. You should recognize that just by sight.

Don't forget that you can stop any CG as long as you have got a banana in hand, too.

The two Falcos I played against in tourney (three times each one, I'm that unlucky xD) stopped cg-to-dair-ing me as soon as the third stock of the first match. They still won, because those guys are amazing, but it made me a lot more troublesome opponent, more troublesome than I should have been for them.

Hating the matchup as much as I do made me play it a lot better... I wish it was the case for Olimar and MK too, which are basically the only two characters I hate playing against :V
if you are going to BBI and play against chair, you'll hate wario too :) i can assure you

TreK

Is "that guy"
I should have said 'the two characters I still hate playing against'. I hated Wario back in the day, but since my crewmate Garian/MIKTC who's living 20km away from me picked up Wario thanks to/because of Glutto, I've had a lot of training in that matchup in the last 6 months. The matches are still irritating sometimes, but I truly think that it's only because he's better than me (he's top 10, I'm top 20). I just don't run into random ftilts and bites just as much as I used to xD

ROB is slowly getting annoying too.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
lol even if you tech on the stage after falco's spike, it leaves you extremely vulnerable for a follow up. whenever nerd grabs me and spikes me, he expects me to tech the stage and just follows up with a punish immediately afterwards. I think the two safest options are to meteor cancel like larry, or to SDI and tech the side of the stage, jump and escape haha. I just hop around and avoid getting grabbed in general cause i love my stocks.

Player-1

Smash Legend
if you tech roll away from the falco I don't think he'd be able to hit you with anything except for a dash attack maybe, or are you talking about if you just tech right in front of him, felix?

TreK

Is "that guy"
sometimes you don't get 'spiked' to the stage if you're low enough in %, so you can't tech at all.

I should train though, because whenever it's possible to tech, I should be able to do it, and I'm not T_T

TreK

Is "that guy"
That's one good idea. Gotta try that some day.

You and your innovative techniques <3

TreK

Is "that guy"
Because Falco is firing his lazors, ofc.

No but seriously, if this is common sense for me, who just plain sucks at this game, there's really no need to point it out. Being prepared for the worst is common sense too, because as much as I'd like to, I'm not a robot that do things perfectly and doesn't afraid of anything.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
falco doesnt pose a threat to diddy at all unless diddy is at 0%, for if u are fortunate(trained/practiced) enough to have the ability to sdi (seriously who doesnt sdi?) then this shouldnt matter but otherwise falco has a 50-50 shot (denying meteor canceling with jump) on killing u based on whether or not diddy chooses to upb charge quick (counterd by falco by just holding the ledge) or charge it long (countered by falco's bair off ledge thus knocking diddy out of barrels OoB). once diddy reaches OVER cg %, play the match like how you want while respecting falco's hitboxes and moves plus not underestimating sideb (which diddy can punish BEFORE DURING AND AFTER). once diddy is at kill %, falco should/MUST be punished hard, for of course falco lacks the ability of unpredictible kill moves...so yea... falco vs diddy...diddy is too good

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
Because Falco is firing his lazors, ofc.

No but seriously, if this is common sense for me, who just plain sucks at this game, there's really no need to point it out. Being prepared for the worst is common sense too, because as much as I'd like to, I'm not a robot that do things perfectly and doesn't afraid of anything.
lol yeah, i wasn't being srs

its like saying play smart

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
if you tech roll away from the falco I don't think he'd be able to hit you with anything except for a dash attack maybe, or are you talking about if you just tech right in front of him, felix?
yeah, i thought that falco wouldn't be able to do anything out of it if you tech in towards the stage and roll, but he can actually grab you again or do a smash attack (not fsmash). it's pretty gay

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
falco doesnt pose a threat to diddy at all unless diddy is at 0%, for if u are fortunate(trained/practiced) enough to have the ability to sdi (seriously who doesnt sdi?) then this shouldnt matter but otherwise falco has a 50-50 shot (denying meteor canceling with jump) on killing u based on whether or not diddy chooses to upb charge quick (counterd by falco by just holding the ledge) or charge it long (countered by falco's bair off ledge thus knocking diddy out of barrels OoB). once diddy reaches OVER cg %, play the match like how you want while respecting falco's hitboxes and moves plus not underestimating sideb (which diddy can punish BEFORE DURING AND AFTER). once diddy is at kill %, falco should/MUST be punished hard, for of course falco lacks the ability of unpredictible kill moves...so yea... falco vs diddy...diddy is too good
You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about.

tibs7

Smash Champion
or maybe you dont play diddy at a high enough level to understand?

No flame just asking.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
if you're not ******** and get cg'd to spiked every time, it's 50-50. I that was a pretty good explanation pierce haha. also, thanks for the tip on throwing bananas down at people to hit their feet I do it all the time now. :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
falco vs diddy is dead even or diddys favor slightly. falco just lacks killpower and confirms

tibs7

Smash Champion
Nah I actually think falco has the adv.
here. We pretty much can't approach safely and we get dominated
in the air. We can get gimped, and lasers are gay.
Campy the whole game wins us the match. Also it's so dimoralising when they do 0-90 and then the stock i feel like punching someone

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
if diddy gets dominated in the air, there's something very wrong. pretty sure his fair is one of the best moves in the game...

and recovering as falco is way harder than recovering as diddy here; lasers help you recover, bananas force falco to use upB.

Albert.

Smash Master
Just my opinion but I don't buy into this crap about Diddy losing to mid/low tier characters.

If we're going to be that hard on Diddy than the same thing can be said about... Marth... ICs... Wario... anybody lower.

It still seems like diddy solidly beats or goes even with most of the cast, we'll call this Marth syndrome, but Diddy does as-well or better VS all of those characters in the top 10 and has one of the closer MK MatcheUps, and better tournament results. (Have people really forgotten Pound4 already?)

Taking all of that into consideration, of course he deserves top 3 lol.

Didn't Pierce have a thread, or plans for a thread, explaining why Diddy was #1 in his opinion?

lolll

Kantrip

Kantplay
I think it will all come down to Diddy needing an incredibly skilled player to be able to reach his potential, or else, eventually, other characters will learn to use his bananas completely against him and he'll be screwed. It'll be all about controlling your bananas.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_Fn2h0YwU

Gnes

Smash Master
Just my opinion but I don't buy into this crap about Diddy losing to mid/low tier characters.

If we're going to be that hard on Diddy than the same thing can be said about... Marth... ICs... Wario... anybody lower.

It still seems like diddy solidly beats or goes even with most of the cast, we'll call this Marth syndrome, but Diddy does as-well or better VS all of those characters in the top 10 and has one of the closer MK MatcheUps, and better tournament results. (Have people really forgotten Pound4 already?)

Taking all of that into consideration, of course he deserves top 3 lol.

Didn't Pierce have a thread, or plans for a thread, explaining why Diddy was #1 in his opinion?

lolll
U dont have to buy it....peach and luigi both beat him.
Pierce is dumb sometimes
Doesnt matter if he has one of the closer mk matchups, its still bad. He shouldnt be third, but whatever

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just out of interest, could someone really quickly summarise how diddy loses to peach or luigi?

pretty sure fair would give them hell, and they would both get outcamped by diddy. not to mention they both suck at recovering. i understand diddy cant combo them like he can other characters, but seriously, i cant see how either would give diddy enough trouble to warrant them as a bad mu.

im not saying gnes is wrong, i just genuinely dont understand...

EDIT: gnes, who is that in your sig? i cant stop watching it...

Albert.

Smash Master
just out of interest, could someone really quickly summarise how diddy loses to peach or luigi?

pretty sure fair would give them hell, and they would both get outcamped by diddy. not to mention they both suck at recovering. i understand diddy cant combo them like he can other characters, but seriously, i cant see how either would give diddy enough trouble to warrant them as a bad mu.

IIRC Luigi slides far when tripped/ has weird shield traction idunno.

Peach can spend a lot of time in the air just avoiding bananas all together. Interesting to note that by removing Diddy's ridiculous gay gimmick, (nanners) just that suddenly makes the MU So bad... Even though Diddy is still a solid character w/o nanners

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
**** Gnes, lol

Anyway, I firmly believe MK is number one. Hence, no thread. Having more fully explored Diddy's weaknesses, I'm actually unsure where he is. Probably at number 3 where he belongs.

Gnes

Smash Master

Hyuna...kpop idol

IIRC Luigi slides far when tripped/ has weird shield traction idunno.

Peach can spend a lot of time in the air just avoiding bananas all together. Interesting to note that by removing Diddy's ridiculous gay gimmick, (nanners) just that suddenly makes the MU So bad... Even though Diddy is still a solid character w/o nanners

Luigi's inability to be comboed heavy with naner string, he kills diddy super early, can gimp us pretty easily(thanks boss for game 2 :(), and has options that are completely safe on diddy's shield which is bad, considering his main game is punishing OoS.

Peach can simply render naners useless at times, she grab them from just cancelling her float, her jab(because of the range) can easily jab catch them, and she has actual combos from them. Not to mention her fair/dair are completely safe on shield, and turnips can actually secure easy gimps.

Thats just a bit. Lastly

GOTCHA PIERCE!!!!

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
okay I got the vid of me losing to lie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWxWg8GWtk

:( sigh, Falco annoys me. That ending was a heart breaker.
Go practice your SDI, because he was really close to the stage when he spiked you. :\

he also got away with a lot more reflectors then he should have. shield-side b more, or if you have a banana on you and they're at a low percent, you can shield-down tilt-banana-fsmash

Peach is a bad character don't listen to Gnes.

luigi *****

Gnes

Smash Master
Go practice your SDI, because he was really close to the stage when he spiked you. :\

he also got away with a lot more reflectors then he should have. shield-side b more, or if you have a banana on you and they're at a low percent, you can shield-down tilt-banana-fsmash

Peach is a bad character don't listen to Gnes.

luigi *****
Says the guy who loses to ROB

*fight fight fight*

Idk my top 8 chrs, i dont really think about all that stuff, i do know that diddy's too high, but whatever. He'll go down in due time.

And we'll see Co :)

Top Bottom