• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 64 - Don't Get Hit

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
"Manual Z-Canceling - By hitting a shield button during an aerial and just before hitting the ground, an aerials landing lag will be reduced. There will be no auto-Z canceling, this project is primarily aimed at Smash 64 players."

Iirc, Z-Canceling removes all Aerial Landing lag, it actually "cancels" it. Also, still iirc'ing, but not all moves need to be Z-Canceled.

Smash 64 is the one I play the most, but I always get schooled on technical bull**** since I'm far from being amazing or super knowledgeable, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You can spam Z when landing with an aerial and it'll still Z cancel. Small problem with spamming though(aside from being distracted from focusing on spamming) is if you Z cancel too late, you will land with no lag and immediately shield.

Z cancel too early: No Z cancel
Z cancel on time: Z cancel
Z cancel too late: Z cancel+shield
Z cancel way too late: No Z cancel

Z canceling cancels all lag of aerial A attacks.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I remember reading somewhere that Z-Canceling was intended simply to get your shield up faster.

Also I really need to get around to updating that first post. Back then I wasn't sure if it got rid of all lag or reduced it to only a few frames.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I remember reading somewhere that Z-Canceling was intended simply to get your shield up faster.

Also I really need to get around to updating that first post. Back then I wasn't sure if it got rid of all lag or reduced it to only a few frames.
Z cancel removes all lag. It might even remove normal landing lag too.

The shielding is usually and accidental late Z cancel. It sucks too. So much shield drop lag. XD

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
*sigh* The old S-Canceling code is a poor substitute for proper Z-Canceling. On the other hand...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Z-cancel changes the lag to normal landing lag - between 5-15 frames, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

Fastfalled Z-cancel is double this amount, in case you didn't already know.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
So fastfalling and Z cancelling has a difference on the landing lag? D: By the way SD, I already have a quick Z cancel code made. It's definitely not the best but it's mainly just a proof of concept at the moment. XD Also forgot to mention that I already have a code made to have a small shine gfx when you fastfall. :)

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Ness's Uair and Dair auto zcancel, so you might as well just give him 0 landing lag for those moves. Same for pikachu's Uair.

Also, some aerials have extra hitboxes upon landing without zcancelling.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
just a thought me and my friends were playing smash 64 and i notice links up b is a lot more angled will this be added

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yes.

Progress is just a bit slow.

For anyone who's curious, I lost patience with getting the original 12 to their exact 64 physics, so I've got someone else with enough patience to do that on it.

I'm actually currently working on 3 of the newcomers, trying to find physics I like. Those newcomers are Ganondorf, Ivysaur, and Wolf.

robinpup

Smash Cadet
Give kirby his up b kill, ahd the avibiliy to grab each character when they are knocked in the ground.
bring back my 64 DK pleaaseee.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
From what I understand, they'd probably be useless, seeing as the two games likely use completely different engines.

I plan on asking throughout the rom hacking communities though.

Also, 64 DK was going to have his cargo infinite removed, but I recently discovered its escapability, so if possible it will be preserved.

On another front, I'm starting to properly get the hang of PSA. dBrawl might come about sooner than expected. My only hint to its release will be the number 803.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Give kirby his up b kill, ahd the avibiliy to grab each character when they are knocked in the ground.
bring back my 64 DK pleaaseee.
Yeah everyone can grab out of the air and when characters bounce, but not when they're laying on the floor.

Oh and you can't get grabbed in the jump animation when leaving the ground before you actually become airborne.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
oh just so you know im a 64 link his bombs don't explode on impact there's a timer that makes them explode.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
oh just so you know im a 64 link his bombs don't explode on impact there's a timer that makes them explode.
Not true. They explode on hard impact. If they're thrown without a smash throw, they bounce off and explode when the timer goes off. If they're thrown with a smash throw, or gain enough speed from falling, they will blow up on contact.

They can be grabbed only when they are off the ground when they bounce, not when they are laying down.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
64 has SO MANY WEIRD INTERACTIONS.

Not exactly a bad thing, but finding each and every one is pretty annoying.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So yeah, hiatus until August.

Spending too much time on smash on not enough on school. To be perfectly honest, the little bit of time that I have to work on stuff I'd rather spend on dBrawl, rather than frustrate myself with 64.

Once I've graduated, expect my full attention on this.

bleyva

Smash Ace
So yeah, hiatus until August.

Spending too much time on smash on not enough on school. To be perfectly honest, the little bit of time that I have to work on stuff I'd rather spend on dBrawl, rather than frustrate myself with 64.

Once I've graduated, expect my full attention on this.
.....so you're leading this mod while being admittedly more vested in a totally different project, and now you're taking a 6 month hiatus on the former? is this project dead til deep into 2011?

not sure whats going on here.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Consider this dead until August, yes. When I started this thread, I was certain that I'd have plenty of time to work on it. Unfortunately I was wrong. Luckily, this is my last year of school, though.

Top Bottom