• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Back Room Updates

Player-3

Smash Hero
oh ****

good thing i left a 10.24% error window for unexpected plot twists or i would look silly right now

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In the almost two years I've been here, I've gotten only one warning (wasn't even an infraction). I still have to see it on the infraction list nonetheless whenever I go into my User CP, but I suppose everybody gets one at some point or another.

EDIT: Huh, coincidentally enough, my warning was issued to me on my 1 year anniversary.

Player-1

Smash Legend
wait, i've got it.

Luigi is the best character in the game and +4's every character. I am very open about my opinion and have posted countless times that Luigi should be above MK on the tier list and needs to be banned. The reason for Luigi's sub-par performance is because he sandbags so he doesn't get banned, but Luigi is so broken he cannot contain his own brokeness so spurts of broken get released randomly which is why he wrecks ppl randomly (biglou at mlg orlando). The BBR has been infiltrated by the Luigi supporters and won't let me in so i don't get a say in the BBR tier list, furthermore they're trying to silence me by banning me.

I rest my case.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You got an infraction for that "99-1" comment? A bit harsh, wouldn't one say? I mean, there's trolling playfully, and then there's being a moron about it. I suppose the mod was one of those really strict kinds?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I got a 2 point infraction, this is the kind of injustice that exists on smashboards. They cannot my silence me. Ban Luigi!

BSP

Smash Legend
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it when that time comes. In the meantime, I think I'll do some more "homework" if you will on the metagame.
You should also try to go to and or host tournaments if you can. It can't hurt.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I got an infraction recently because Dark. Pch wrote this 10-paragraph wall of text where the first paragraph said
I feel like I have to say something on my part on this list. Now this post is gonna be long. So if you dont wanna read my **** or give me the typical "Lololol, Dark.Pch sucks, peach sucks, emo fool, lololol" look away, ignore this post or add me on ignore. Im not in the mood or here for it. This might be my first/last post in this thread anyway.
And I posted next, literally copying and pasting and said
Lololol, Dark.Pch sucks, peach sucks, emo fool, lololol
And I got a 2 point infraction for flaming. :glare:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You should also try to go to and or host tournaments if you can. It can't hurt.
I know, but with money issues, especially considering I'm on the verge of starting my transition soon, that's really going to make money really tight in my situation. Still, if I KNOW for a fact I can make it to a tournament, I will. Although, I did miss two Smashachusetts tourneys in a row, and I live in the city where they took place, so I did drop the ball there. Still, you're right.

I got an infraction recently because Dark. Pch wrote this 10-paragraph wall of text where the first paragraph said

And I posted next, literally copying and pasting and said

And I got a 2 point infraction for flaming. :glare:
Ouch. Although what you said was a [obvious] joke, the mod did technically do his job. I mean, even if it wasn't intentional flaming, it would still have at the very least fallen under the category of spam, I suppose.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I would like to know what i need to work on in order to get in the BBR. If i apply in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read my app.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
While I can wait for the next 6-8 months to apply again, not being let in cause a couple of infractions I received mostly in the DR is kinda silly.
For the being sarcastic about not being let in from my previous 4 times I can understand that since my sarcastic online persona got the better of me.

Guess I'll just have to tone that down once it's November/December. Oh well, it was probably better I wasn't a member yet since I might get a job soon so I can start getting money to pay bills easier along with having extra money for once so I may attend more tournaments.

Hopefully by the time it's almost 2013 the next 600 or so posts I make I don't get infracted for I guess?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I'll say one thing, which was a factor for several applications.
Do the application properly. Don't end every sentence with some sarcastic remark or angst about not getting in in the past.

We understand that it is quite easy to become completely cynical if you've tried multiple times. And a lot of the retry-ers had things missing for them in the past (like, let's say, a bad behaviour record on smashboards) which have pretty much cleared up at this point but then we receive an application that is rudely presented/inadequate and it's like "well... if this person had have done an application of similar quality as some of them in the past he would have gotten in this time..." And it's annoying for us as we want you for either your region, skill or character.
Quoting for emphasis. Don't shoot yourself in the foot with your app.

edit: Also not actually having the time to write a formal application is not a reason not to make one, shoulda just copied and pasted one of your previous ones!
I don't see the relevance of this tbh... elaborate?

wait, i've got it.

Fox is the worst character in the game and gets +4'd by every character. I am very open about my opinion and have posted countless times that Fox should be below Ganon on the tier list and etc etc
^ What I was actually expecting :p

I would like to know what i need to work on in order to get in the BBR. If i apply in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read my app.
You had a very impressive application which was a huge plus, but we felt that you lacked a specific niche to contribute in the BBR. The general consensus was that it would be best to wait and see your application next round in hopes that you'd have a more concrete set of skills to bring to the table.

While I can wait for the next 6-8 months to apply again, not being let in cause a couple of infractions I received mostly in the DR is kinda silly.
For the being sarcastic about not being let in from my previous 4 times I can understand that since my sarcastic online persona got the better of me.

Guess I'll just have to tone that down once it's November/December. Oh well, it was probably better I wasn't a member yet since I might get a job soon so I can start getting money to pay bills easier along with having extra money for once so I may attend more tournaments.

Hopefully by the time it's almost 2013 the next 600 or so posts I make I don't get infracted for I guess?
A minor amount of infractions in a place like the DR isn't something that will prevent admission. It's pretty easy to see who should be kept out based on infractions, plus there are plenty of moderators in the BBR that help clarify who's actually a problem and who isn't. In your case, I wouldn't worry much about the infractions and instead try approaching the application with a more positive attitude.

:059:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
A minor amount of infractions in a place like the DR isn't something that will prevent admission. It's pretty easy to see who should be kept out based on infractions, plus there are plenty of moderators in the BBR that help clarify who's actually a problem and who isn't. In your case, I wouldn't worry much about the infractions and instead try approaching the application with a more positive attitude.

If infractions from DR don't really count, despite them being infractions still, that's surprising to know.
As I pointed out from my previous post, I know I goofed with being sarcastic in my app, can't help it.

My 1st/2nd apps from the 2nd and 3rd threads I can understand getting declined due to me still being new to the scene and not really knowing much about my own character nor much about the game itself to begin with.

3rd time in 4th thread I put a tad more effort with links to slight contributions, but still not enough along with making a joke again at the start of the app.

The 4th time I can comfortably say I put in a decent amount of work and thought despite not linking my contributions like my 3rd try, but mostly my mistake for wanting to make that beat a dead pony joke I guess?

For whenever the 6th thread comes up, the best I can do is probably just copy and paste things from my previous times and add in whatever tournaments I attended and knowledge I gained in the last 6 months.
Not sure if that'd be considered laziness for copy and pasting once I try for the 5th time.

I was half thinking of doing what CJ said about PM'ing Marc about it. But that'd make me seem even more desperate to be in... then again me posting even right now shows slight desperation.
Maybe I should stop right here before it gets a tiny bit out of hand.

C.J.

Smash Master
Oh, I only told Illmatic to PM Marc because he was on the list to be accepted.

Slush, just keep doing what you're doing and hosting events. When you fill out the application next time do it in a word doc. Do part of it, then when you get annoyed, save it and walk away. Come back later and work on it again. Rinse/repeat.

Just keep doing what you're doing and handle the application a little bit better.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Another thing I'd like to add for you, Slush, is to treat the application like it was an actual job application. Since [most] people will take actual job applications more seriously, I figured if you treated it like a job application, it could help you fight the urge to type in something sarcastic. Just my thought anyway.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What Sol said, Slush. I was literally just about to say that. XD

Full list of new members will be up tomorrow.

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh, I only told Illmatic to PM Marc because he was on the list to be accepted.

Slush, just keep doing what you're doing and hosting events. When you fill out the application next time do it in a word doc. Do part of it, then when you get annoyed, save it and walk away. Come back later and work on it again. Rinse/repeat.

Just keep doing what you're doing and handle the application a little bit better.
He was already on the list? What took the extra time to let him in then?
I don't really host the events persay, just help out with seeding calling matches and such. Not like getting the venue itself with money coming out of my pocket.... Unless just helping like what I said is hosting in general.

Annoyed? I don't think I've ever been annoyed when doing the apps?
Only recent annoyance I can think of is back in 2010 where I got myself infracted by P4 on purpose each time the infraction he handed me expired.
Though again, I guess the sarcastic comments that I found funny and in no way being annoyances over something as trivial as the BBR is what dug my grave to begin with.

Alright, More serious the 5th time I suppose.
Another thing I'd like to add for you, Slush, is to treat the application like it was an actual job application. Since [most] people will take actual job applications more seriously, I figured if you treated it like a job application, it could help you fight the urge to type in something sarcastic. Just my thought anyway.
You and I had the same train of thought.
It wasn't until later today after I saw the new members that I thought to myself about the app and eventually thought that I should treat it like a job application.
Act serious and no sarcasm in the app, then once you're in you can start being sarcastic with the other members while not taking it too over the line.

The 6 months no infraction thing is just an added bonus to find out if you're mature/trustworthy or not.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Man, I wish I didn't still have a full year until finishing my undergrad. I'd like to become active enough again to actually contribute like I used to be able to... :( *sigh* Maybe next year? :p

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
If infractions from DR don't really count, despite them being infractions still, that's surprising to know.
As I pointed out from my previous post, I know I goofed with being sarcastic in my app, can't help it.

My 1st/2nd apps from the 2nd and 3rd threads I can understand getting declined due to me still being new to the scene and not really knowing much about my own character nor much about the game itself to begin with.

3rd time in 4th thread I put a tad more effort with links to slight contributions, but still not enough along with making a joke again at the start of the app.

The 4th time I can comfortably say I put in a decent amount of work and thought despite not linking my contributions like my 3rd try, but mostly my mistake for wanting to make that beat a dead pony joke I guess?

For whenever the 6th thread comes up, the best I can do is probably just copy and paste things from my previous times and add in whatever tournaments I attended and knowledge I gained in the last 6 months.
Not sure if that'd be considered laziness for copy and pasting once I try for the 5th time.

I was half thinking of doing what CJ said about PM'ing Marc about it. But that'd make me seem even more desperate to be in... then again me posting even right now shows slight desperation.
Maybe I should stop right here before it gets a tiny bit out of hand.
They do count of course, but since it's a more lax room by nature I don't think it's considered to be on the same level as something like consistent trolling in MDRD, for example.

I can't really say anything about whether or not c/ping an old app would be considered laziness, but *definitely* don't link to an old app. A lot of things do stay consistent between apps I suppose, so I wouldn't think that pulling bits and pieces from an old application is that bad, as long as you do add the relevant changes that happened in between application periods.

C.J.

Smash Master
He was already on the list? What took the extra time to let him in then?
His name is Illmatic. (note the period) and Marc gave the membership to another account Illmatic
Just a small mistake that was fixed once it was brought to his attention.

I don't really host the events persay, just help out with seeding calling matches and such. Not like getting the venue itself with money coming out of my pocket.... Unless just helping like what I said is hosting in general.
Experiences that you could draw on to help explain the tourny experience to other players and knowledge of how to help accommodate players so that they have an enjoyable experience. Explaining why some people didn't get out of pools so they're aren't upset, etc

Finding venues and that stuff is great and all, but I value the above.

Annoyed? I don't think I've ever been annoyed when doing the apps?
Only recent annoyance I can think of is back in 2010 where I got myself infracted by P4 on purpose each time the infraction he handed me expired.
Though again, I guess the sarcastic comments that I found funny and in no way being annoyances over something as trivial as the BBR is what dug my grave to begin with.
Pretty much what I meant. When you feel the urge to make a sarcastic remark save the document and walk away from it for a bit is all.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I can't really say anything about whether or not c/ping an old app would be considered laziness, but *definitely* don't link to an old app. A lot of things do stay consistent between apps I suppose, so I wouldn't think that pulling bits and pieces from an old application is that bad, as long as you do add the relevant changes that happened in between application periods.

Oh of course, not the entire app. Just some tid bits here or there.

His name is Illmatic. (note the period) and Marc gave the membership to another account Illmatic
Just a small mistake that was fixed once it was brought to his attention.
That's hilarious.
Experiences that you could draw on to help explain the tourny experience to other players and knowledge of how to help accommodate players so that they have an enjoyable experience. Explaining why some people didn't get out of pools so they're aren't upset, etc

Finding venues and that stuff is great and all, but I value the above.
Same boat for both of us it seems.
Pretty much what I meant. When you feel the urge to make a sarcastic remark save the document and walk away from it for a bit is all.
Alright, again I'll just remind myself not to make any snide remarks in my 5th attempt.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Everyone has shields and can grab. Honestly I don't know how he's not Ganon-tier. :applejack:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I don't see the relevance of this tbh... elaborate?
Being busy with exams I didn't have the time to write a proper application, shoulda just gone with copy pasting one of my previous ones.

Interestingly, any new application would have pretty much the same content as my previous ones bar results. If the application period is as short as it is and it falls right between my exams I don't see the point of actually putting any sort of time or effort in it.

You can say that if I don't have the time to write an application I don't have the time to contribute to the BBR either, that'd be a fallacy. I don't have exams 365 days a year (in fact, only 2 months a year).

The weight you guys give an application is severely disproportionate. Do you even look at anything else when admitting new members? If you took two more minutes to just look at the contributions I've made in the past few months, most notably with regards to the MU chart project you'd probably have admitted me.

And that's what stings most. Shaya claims they really do want certain people to be admitted for the sake of the BBR yet you feel somehow legally obliged to reject anyway because of a formality. I'm not even sure for whom I'm writing an application, it's not like Shaya/Marc/half the back room doesn't already know me or is otherwise not perfectly aware of how decently I could contribute to the BR. What's even the point? If you want my insight, why should I even apply? Why aren't you just inviting me?

Lastly, I reiterate the rather silly notion of being an angel until you get admitted. If I want written acting classes I'll just write love letters to 15 year old girls or something.

It's whatever though I'll just keep destroying my braincells on the Wario boards and post soft porn in Marth Social. Apparently that's all I'm good for.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The application period definitely was a bit shorter this round imo, and I'd like to see a policy that helps people who are busy that round get a proper application submitted in time. Although to be fair, I don't recall you mentioning anything about exams, and if you PM'd a BBR leader about having a legitimate excuse the deadline *might* have been extended to accommodate.

As for what people look at in the applications, I definitely look through the links people cited within their application. If they didn't cite anything, why would I look at it? Like others have said, treat it similarly to a job interview. If you don't tell a hiring agent about all of your noteworthy contributions at your previous job or whatever, they're not going to put a lot of effort into extracting positive information you didn't want to give, y'know? You're supposed to sell yourself, I suppose.

The majority of the BBR does know who you are and has a decent idea of your contributions, yes. And those that don't soon find out from others in the BBR. But what you don't seem to understand here is that there's more than being able to contribute your knowledge, you have to be someone that can contribute to the group as a whole and work well with others, it's not really all about the individual. Back to the job analogy, a good-natured person that's a team player and decently intelligent has a better shot at getting the job than a super-intelligent person with an attitude that would rather follow their own vision instead of the company's. Imagine how a job interview would go if the interviewee only answered questions they felt were relevant, it gives off a sense of arrogance. Even if you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, every person is expected to approach the interview with the same high level of respect and seriousness.

I don't think you're looking at the behavior thing the right way, switching back to bad behavior once in will get you kicked out. We look at infractions and posting behavior and whatnot to make sure admitting a member won't lead to them derailing things or causing the bad type of argument (with more flaming and less actual discussion). Not accusing you of doing either of these things, just wanted to clear that up.

I need to go to work now, but if you have any further questions feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to get you comprehensive answers.

Cassio

Smash Master
Chair that was a good post and I definitely see where youre coming from. However I think you may be reading too far into things. From my own experience I had been limited on time as well, but had requested and was granted leniency on the deadline. There was no harm in asking, and they can't grant a request they dont know exists y'know? And though you should always present the best case for yourself, I personally found my app to be far far from perfect, but still put in the best effort I could with the time I had. I know sometimes its hard to find the drive for something when you know it wont be your best, but sometimes you just need to do the best that you can with what limitations exist.

In regards to being an angel until youre admitted, if thats been an issue youve encountered Id suggest PMing or reporting such conduct to one of the BBR heads because I think everyone would appreciate knowing, although by all accounts from existing BBR members that hasnt been an issue.

Edit: Also though it's a formality, any organization needs structure to limit chaos. However as exemplified above the structure is still pretty flexible, at least in my opinion.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I have a question here, if I may:

I know one must cite examples of contributing knowledge and show that they can add things to the group, but what about those who are fairly new and can't add anything new to the competitive aspect of Brawl and its community, seeing how far into the metagame Brawl is in? Would it not make applicants hard-pressed to contribute new and fresh ideas that hasn't already been presented? All that seems to remain is showing that one knows well enough about the current metagame and competitive scene, and I'm not entirely sure just how much that alone can cut it. Any info on this would be appreciated, that way, I know what it is I need to work with and worry about when I eventually apply for the Back Room.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I have a question here, if I may:

I know one must cite examples of contributing knowledge and show that they can add things to the group, but what about those who are fairly new and can't add anything new to the competitive aspect of Brawl and its community, seeing how far into the metagame Brawl is in? Would it not make applicants hard-pressed to contribute new and fresh ideas that hasn't already been presented? All that seems to remain is showing that one knows well enough about the current metagame and competitive scene, and I'm not entirely sure just how much that alone can cut it. Any info on this would be appreciated, that way, I know what it is I need to work with and worry about when I eventually apply for the Back Room.
If you feel you don't have as much competitive experience, then try to make your application stand out in other ways. You can still make your personality and amiability shine through. I won't lie and say not having much experience isn't a dealbreaker--it certainly won't help your cause--but not everyone in the BBR attends tournaments every week.

On a similar note, I'd like to officially announce all the new members of the Brawl Back Room:

Aerodrome
Big D
BSP
Cassio
Clowsui
Dakpo
Denti
DRN
Gonzalo ZeRo
Illmatic
JNig
kyokoro_pamuyo
Luigi player
MJG
Sync

Some of you may wonder how MJG got in since he never posted an application. He was in the process of moving and didn't have access to Internet, so he PM'd Marc his application. We decided to allow the application considering the circumstances as well as MJG's high level of activity in the Toon Link panel during the MU Chart v1.

An updated full BBR member list is forthcoming following an activity purge.

On a different note: I know many of you have been asking about the BBR Interviews project. I assure you it's still happening! I'm working with Reflex and Twinkie as we speak to coordinate a time and date we can all sit down and record it. (It was actually recorded 2 months ago, but the audio didn't record properly.) Since then I reinjured my arms (which I'm fine now--went through rehab and haven't felt this amazing in 2 years :)), and my full-time employment at DreamWorks Animation keeps me with a difficult schedule.

I just wanted to let everyone know it's still in the works, and we'll get the first interview out as soon as possible--I'm hoping this week. If you want to blame anyone for this dragging on, please blame me. I began the project because I wasn't sure when DreamWorks Animation was going to call me in, and their call came shortly after Reflex won the popular vote. Since then these past months have truly been a whirlwind, and I'm sorry to get you all stuck in it.

We're already discussing on someone who would be willing to take over the project for me once this first interview comes out so that we can continue publishing these on a regular basis.

I realize so much of the BBR is kept in the dark, and I hate to be another reason for that. I truly apologize for the delay and thank you all for your patience and understanding.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I read someone suggesting that you treat a BBR application like a Job application. I asked last time the new Member applications were starting if the BBR did anything along the lines of a performance review. You know when you sit down with your boss and he asks "What do you even do around here all day?" or "Man you ****ing suck at this, but your application was really professional so as long as you are active here at Wal Mart/Google/African Pirate Agency, we will keep you on board"

I mean honestly, what kind of job is it where the application is the hard part and then you just have to show up often enough not to get kicked out?

Top Bottom