• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Back Room Updates

D

Deleted member

Ish does make a good point about the timing of the reviews, though. Normally, the application threads aren't even posted until after the BBR releases a big project to the public eye.

I have to agree that focusing on one thing at a time is a better route, especially if you want people to be pleased with the results.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Illmatic should've been added way before more than half of those people.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Illmatic: You have 12 pages of infractions, of which 3 as recent as last month. Altogether it is a lot and if you keep it up you will run into a situation where you have so many permanent points that every new infraction will get you at least temp banned. That's neither practical nor desirable for someone in an elevated user group. This doesn't mean you can never make it in, but you absolutely have to stop getting infracted, it's that simple. Apparently your fun on the boards consistently breaks website rules, so you'll have to make a choice at some point. You have several good qualities, but it's not going to work if you need to be moderated that much in public.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Marc: Well of course you did lol, you run this thing. But I'm talking moreso about all the other BBR members that could've given helpful input, but were too busy to really dedicate much time to it.

I don't think I'm really qualified to say anything on other matters, but as I said before, I really hope people don't get discouraged because they didn't make it in, although I can see how that happens :/ Even if it's the same exact app, just submit it if you're still interested in being admitted, because things change and maybe the BBR will realize that they're missing out on a perspective that a previously rejected applicant could satisfy, idk.

:059:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm with Ill, I assume it's "behavior problems" of why I didn't get in. I've really only trolled on the diddy boards (and pretty much the social thread) where I do WAY more helpful things than hurtful, but it's w.e, I hope the BBR gets a great amount of insight on Diddy from AZ and Count.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How about releasing something useful?

For example when you released that Matchup Chart it was useless to anyone already in the community. If the BBR is comprised of the best and/or most insightful people in the community, then why not release a high level matchup analysis for us? I've been given ALOT of bad answers to this question, but I honestly believe you guys just aren't capable at this point. If I wanted to understand the Bowser vs Mario matchup better, your chart would tell me nothing but "oh its easier than MK but harder than zelda, but iono +1". You guys had top level players of every character discuss every matchup in the game (supposedly) and you didn't give any of that to the community. As it stands now if I wanted insightful input on any matchup right now, I could get a better job done from non BBR members on the boards. Maybe you guys did work hard on this chart, but what you released isn't useful to members of the community at all. The chart itself is actually pretty ugly too, so I wouldn't even give a 5/5 on being visually pleasing.

As for behavior, I see alot of purple names being silly or trolling on the boards and sometimes being complete *******s. Which honestly doesn't bother me if they are getting something done, but lets not pretend that BBR members hold themselves to a higher standard all the time.

And as I said, people like Delux and John have been doing great things for the community without the BBR. I highly doubt adding or not adding these new people will change the way the BBR functions and make it more useful.

D

Deleted member

My issue in getting in was that I don't stand out enough. I guess I just need to be more active in the community. I took a step between the last application and this one by creating the Lucas Matchup Center on the Lucas boards to get some fresh ideas on his MU's, seeing as the old MU thread had been quite dead. I hoped it would boost my appeal a little, but it's not enough.

Gotta try harder. :/

Edit: Tesh, change is always more effective from the inside. You should try to get in next time. :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Illmatic: You have 12 pages of infractions, of which 3 as recent as last month. Altogether it is a lot and if you keep it up you will run into a situation where you have so many permanent points that every new infraction will get you at least temp banned. That's neither practical nor desirable for someone in an elevated user group. This doesn't mean you can never make it in, but you absolutely have to stop getting infracted, it's that simple. Apparently your fun on the boards consistently breaks website rules, so you'll have to make a choice at some point. You have several good qualities, but it's not going to work if you need to be moderated that much in public.
This is understandable, but I'm rarely EVER banned.
I keep my infractions in check.

I don't really feel as though behavior should interfere with being admitted. Especially when considering the 3 "recent" ones are permanent infraction points from my past. I'm not telling the lead members of the BBR what to do, but it would be wise to take into consideration investigating why members received their infractions and contacting mods or other members of the BBR if certain said member's behavior will become an issue.

Like, I'm not some complete stranger to this community... lmao. I mean, maybe to you because you live in Europe... but most players in America know me.

D

Deleted member

Another issue is that if you get banned, you'll also have no way of communicating with the BBR on the boards. It would be like you were never admitted if you're not even there to take part in their discussions.

z00ted

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 39 (29 members and 10 guests)
Illmatic., Jayford, Zigsta+, Delta-cod, Sinister Slush+, Steam, Ubermensch, SaveMeJebus, Dext3rM., Metakill, crismas, Tesh+, -DR3W-, Nine-Tailed Assassin, Yoshi101, Falcon'sFist, Oblivion, pidgezero_one, Rubbish, rsr2, GwJumpman, AlphaZealot, Wave-Guiding Hero, Marc

Didn't mean to stir this up >_>

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
how2standoutmoar

Large posts in threads like the tierlist or MU chart.
High placings with a high tier/MK to be noticed.
A bunch of threads with alot of text again that noone will post in.
Little to no infractions.
Bribe them with rainbows and candy.

Congratulations, you're an unstoppable dunking machine.

Cassio

Smash Master
Congrats to all the new BBR members.

I know some of yall are upset, but its really not fair to assume that those who went over the applications were being unreasonable or quick to judge. I know it sucks especially for those of you who've contributed a lot, but consider first that they've given it thorough thought. Their reasonings so far seem rather understandable. It also probably wouldve been more consciences to bring this up less publicly. Just work on improving your rought areas and try again, 6 months is a rather short amount of time.

PS: Illmatic you might want to find out what too many infractions is. To me a few fractions a couple a months sounds like a lot imo when i think many people receive almost no infractions. Not that my opinion is important, basically Im saying its important to know what those who review your applications think since you need to cater to them. Hope you make it in next time.

z00ted

Another issue is that if you get banned, you'll also have no way of communicating with the BBR on the boards. It would be like you were never admitted if you're not even there to take part in their discussions.
Yeah, I totally agree... but I'm rarely ever banned lol. I make sure that my infractions don't total up to 6 or more.

And I would DEFINITELY keep them in check if I were in a group that actually needed me (for example, I did not receive one infraction after being admitted into the Brawl Panel group).

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Tesh, we'll be releasing write-ups with the next MU Chart. We've had some really solid discussions (some more than others, of course) that will definitely help the community.

Illmatic, you've grown so much both as a person and as a player each time you've applied to the BBR. Please, please, PLEASE apply again next time, and definitely take Marc's advice to heart.

Slush, you're silly. :p

_Kain_

Smash Champion
how2standoutmoar

Large posts in threads like the tierlist or MU chart.
High placings with a high tier/MK to be noticed.
A bunch of threads with alot of text again that noone will post in.
Little to no infractions.
Bribe them with rainbows and candy.

Congratulations, you're an unstoppable dunking machine.
I did none of these.

I'm a beast :awesome:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
How do you join that group where you get to discuss match ups for the new match up chart?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
How do you join that group where you get to discuss match ups for the new match up chart?
I think panel leaders for each character got to invite other players of said characters to discuss. There were like 4-6 people for each character

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The Brawl Panelists were selected by their panel leaders a while back via PM, and those who accepted joined the usergroup.

Basically what Kain said, haha.

Tesh

Smash Hero
My issue in getting in was that I don't stand out enough. I guess I just need to be more active in the community. I took a step between the last application and this one by creating the Lucas Matchup Center on the Lucas boards to get some fresh ideas on his MU's, seeing as the old MU thread had been quite dead. I hoped it would boost my appeal a little, but it's not enough.

Gotta try harder. :/

Edit: Tesh, change is always more effective from the inside. You should try to get in next time. :)
Do me a favor and look at the list of BBR members on the front page. Then if and when you see a name you even recognize as a helpful and productive member of the community, ask yourself if that person is useful because he is in the BBR or in the BBR because he is useful. Nothing useful as come from the BBR as a whole. They just absorb useful, productive people to look better. All the great things that come from BBR members are done by small groups or a single person.

As you go down that long list, you will find some great players and some great posters, but if you try to find useful BBR projects, you will have your hands full.

Just look at this:

Section 3 - Current Projects

Stage Analysis Project (led by MetalMusicMan) – The Brawl Backroom is currently working on a Stage Analysis Project. This project will review the stages in Brawl, and offer information for both new and veteran players alike, as well as reasoning on why people would feel these stages are suited, or ill suited for competitive play.

^far less informative or complete than OLDER guides on the stage discussion board.

Smash World Rankings (led by Rajam) – Rankings of the best player of the USA and Canada. This is a huge project and is often updated. Check its official thread.

^the only time I hear about this project is when people point out how it favors players that dont travel but win alot in weak regions.
This is understandable, but I'm rarely EVER banned.
I keep my infractions in check.

I don't really feel as though behavior should interfere with being admitted. Especially when considering the 3 "recent" ones are permanent infraction points from my past. I'm not telling the lead members of the BBR what to do, but it would be wise to take into consideration investigating why members received their infractions and contacting mods or other members of the BBR if certain said member's behavior will become an issue.

Like, I'm not some complete stranger to this community... lmao. I mean, maybe to you because you live in Europe... but most players in America know me.
The BBR should practice what it preaches. If your current members don't meet your criteria, why hold it against new members?

@ Zigsta, it should have been common sense for the BBR to do it right the first time. Its hard to believe that you guys had insightful discussions but didn't think to release written summaries to the communities. Why did you guys even keep them hidden in the first place? If the stage discussion project is any indication, I expect it was to hide the ignorance of current members. I'm willing to wait until next time to see how they stack up.

It would also be nice to get a list of names involved in each project. I'd love to see some proof that all or most of those members serve a purpose, because I'm sure you can tell I don't have alot of respect for all 75 names on that list.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if people want to concede thats their business. i have full confidence that our matchups are very close to being what they should be compared to the last one. im sure there will be a lot of raised eyebrows at pikachus in particular but ill stand by them

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm not saying that you can't do whatever you do, or decide whatever you want.
I'm just saying that you're all insane, wrong, and have this hilariously narrow tunnel vision perspective on Pikachu's MUs that exceeds even the Marth's overconfidence. :applejack:

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if they conceded, they admit they agree with us, otherwise they should let it go to phase three like some of them did. even as the closest person to kprime, i would trust my fellow chus far more on pikas matchup then a non sonic main -shrug-

also dont really want to take this here so im just gonna leave it at that, not the right place for this. we can continue when the chart gets released :p

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Tesh, I'm not sure why discussions from the previous version weren't released since I wasn't part of the BBR then. I never asked because it simpy wasn't important to me--only creating the most accurate MU Chart possible was important to me. So I apologize, but I can't answer those questions.

Not everyone is going to be happy with the Chart. It's sadly just the nature of the beast. But I can definitely say that as a whole, characters have been much more represented. Speaking personally and quite frankly, I'm downright ecstatic at revealing Bowser's new spread.

Jebus, you cannot join the panels at this point. We're almost done.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd rather talk to Shaya about MUs than any Pikachu not named K Prime. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
@ Zigsta, I'm not unhappy with the numbers and its not that i disagree with how you all feel about the matchups. I could agree with every number on that chart and I would still feel that chart is useful to anyone already part of the community.

BBR: Fox vs MK is -1
me:why?
BBR:thats classified
me: ><

Here is a good project for the BBR that all of the members can get involved in.

Take the application you use to judge people outside the BBR and fill it out yourself. How about all of you telling us why you would be in the BBR. Then we can tell you how you measure up. I'd love to see your resumes.

Cassio

Smash Master
lol, stealth why you even arguing with him. He doesnt even play pika, leave him be.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
How about releasing something useful?

For example when you released that Matchup Chart it was useless to anyone already in the community. If the BBR is comprised of the best and/or most insightful people in the community, then why not release a high level matchup analysis for us? I've been given ALOT of bad answers to this question, but I honestly believe you guys just aren't capable at this point. If I wanted to understand the Bowser vs Mario matchup better, your chart would tell me nothing but "oh its easier than MK but harder than zelda, but iono +1". You guys had top level players of every character discuss every matchup in the game (supposedly) and you didn't give any of that to the community. As it stands now if I wanted insightful input on any matchup right now, I could get a better job done from non BBR members on the boards. Maybe you guys did work hard on this chart, but what you released isn't useful to members of the community at all. The chart itself is actually pretty ugly too, so I wouldn't even give a 5/5 on being visually pleasing.

As for behavior, I see alot of purple names being silly or trolling on the boards and sometimes being complete *******s. Which honestly doesn't bother me if they are getting something done, but lets not pretend that BBR members hold themselves to a higher standard all the time.

And as I said, people like Delux and John have been doing great things for the community without the BBR. I highly doubt adding or not adding these new people will change the way the BBR functions and make it more useful.
I mean... fair enough lol. That's why we're trying to get some write-ups done for matchups that are being rediscussed, but honestly there aren't many coming out because people are busy and maybe a lack of motivation for some, idk. Not the best of answers, but it's the truth. Releasing the discussion threads would be... better in theory than in practice imo, unfortunately :/ On those that have been doing great things for the community, I don't think their BBR membership would effect their contributions to the Smash scene. If they're let in, it'll help out the BBR as an organization overall, but we're still making more of an effort to communicate with those outside the group imo, idk.

On the MU panels and all, I'll talk more about that once it's actually released, but... easier said than done, by a long shot. :/ serious props to Marc for sticking with all of this. I agree that everything should come with a write-up, but there are activity issues hardcore.

:059:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I probably play Pika better than half of the panelists he was comprised of. :p :applejack:

Top Bottom