• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

Scott!

Smash Lord
Since most people seem to enjoy using trips to de-synch the Ice-Climbers to help set up easier chain grabs, wouldn't the ice-climbers tripping be much more helpful for them? Not to mention that if you lose a stock (or much worse a match) just because you tripped, unless you are pro of the highest calibur, you were probably going to lose anyway. I doubt the split second of vunerablity is going to be much that newbies or even standard skilled opponents are going to use to turn an entire match around, not to mention that it doesn't seem like a standard or pro move to allow yourself to be that increidbly vunerable from a simple trip. If you just started playing and never triped before, that might be your only excuse for losing a match from something as small as that. Otherwise, you're probably Johning if you lose over that.

And despite how much we've tried to keep it down to a science, no one will constantly give 120% of every single tournament, every single cell, every single match, every single battle, every single stock, every single second of their lives. We aren't machines (despite how society will eventually allow them to take over at this rate :p), so perfect gameplay won't be a constant. Some of my instructors have told me how a person always does 90% of their best practice. So you usually have to cover up the other 10% by being a little bit lucky. Again, no items, no final smashes, no random stage mishaps, and there is still the element of luck, simply in gameplay. So wishing it for yourself or for the other player isn't really a bad thing, even if you do want to eliminate it as much as possible.
Well, tripping CAN affect the outcome of a match. I've had it happen where I and my opponent are both one strong move away from being Koed on the last life. We dash, trip, and are KOed. It can affect the outcome. No matter how good or bad you are, tripping makes you vulnerable for a certain amount of time. And it is entirely by chance. This is why it's bad.

Also, do the ICs really use tripping to desynch? Cause I was joking when I said it. But if they do, then that's awesome. I mean, I'm sure they could, but I doubt it's a viable strategy. I definitely could be wrong; they're not a character I know well.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
Hi, Aqua!

I talk a top tier level amount of trash talk. I only do it with people I know well or people who I know would have fun doing it though. If it's someone I just met or someone I know that wouldn't have fun with it, I wouldn't do it. :)

At tournaments, I take a moment to introduce myself and find out my opponent's name and hometown and wish them well before we rumble.

If the guy/gal starts to trash talk in a fun/good-natured way that's an invitation to join in and I usually comply. If it's cranky/angry trash talk I usually keep quiet and finish the match. A match where both people are doing trash talk and having fun is entertainment for everyone watching. In teams, doubly so!

After the match, I try to shake hands, GG and sometimes chat a bit.

If I'm facing an opponent who is obviously not as good as I am, I usually hold back a bit so as not to ruin their fun. Especially if it's friendlies. And Especially if it's a kid.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Also, do the ICs really use tripping to desynch? Cause I was joking when I said it. But if they do, then that's awesome. I mean, I'm sure they could, but I doubt it's a viable strategy. I definitely could be wrong; they're not a character I know well.
No, they don't. It's probably the least effective way to desynch them (granted, it is a way to desynch them). Tripping leaves one of them too vulnerable.

SuperFudgeChoco

Smash Apprentice
(I don't know which topic I'm supposed to respond to, tripping or greetings, so I'll do both)

I'll be brief about tripping, cause wow people like to talk about it, and just about everything about it has been said. So yeah, while tripping does suck, it's just something that is part of this game, so I accept it just like everything else. I do an "oh shi~" when it happens to me and I try to take advantage of it when it happens to my opponent. Because unless you know the person and KNOW they won't take advantage of you tripping, why handicap yourself? I guess if it's clear that you are waaaay better than the person you're playing and you use it as a sandbag tactic, then yeah go for it, but I don't see why you shouldn't take advantage of an opponent tripping.

As for greeting and general etiquette with opponents when I play them, I usually start with a simple greeting like "Hey, what's up?" and will just behave friendly and play with a cool head. I don't add any trash talking or anything like the "hey don't pick that character", or "oooh man you're going down" because I find that trash talkers usually have a false sense of superiority that will often not allow them to play their best. If a person is sitting there talking trash like he is the "Brawl King" or something like that, I'll just simply ignore him or give him a "uhhmmm" making an acknowledgment that I heard him, but neither giving a positive or negetive response to said trash talking. I also understand that some can play better when they trash talk, but honestly I feel that if you have the skill that you will come on top, talking trash or not saying a word.
During the match I'll try to keep a positive attitude towards everything, complimenting a good move and giving an "ooooohh" if something bad happens to them (not recovering when they should be able to, getting knocked out by something on the stage if on a stage with something to knock out a player *cough*Norfair*cough*) and just be friendly towards whoever I'm playing.
tl;dr Don't be a jerk when playing, just sit down, greet your opponent, be friendly, and shake hands afterwards.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
FudgeCoco, you can talk about any of the subject that are listed (as far as I know), as long as you make a note about which one you are talking about.

And I dunno, maybe I'm just being critical about it. But I've never seen any videos of people being at the last leg of a serious match, and losing because of a trip. If enough people have had that problem, maybe that can be used as evidence to support tripping being removed from the next Smash (which I support that removal). But we won't know until then, now will we?

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
THAT SHOULD DEFINITELY BE A SUBJECT! "Actions around Taunts" (Including messaging, over taunting, taunting on Wifi, taunting during matches). That would get some results too! Aqua needs to return so she can make that another topic!

smash-phoenix

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't attack anyone taunting unless their taunt message was blatently offensive to me or another player in which case i would knock them off the stage :)

Scott!

Smash Lord
Attacking during taunts is something that goes case by case. If they taunt, and are left open, then I go for it. it's their own fault for opening themselves up. But if they just pulled off something made of epic win, I'll give them one before I press on if they do it.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
Brawl ettiquette 101, when a tournament host tells you to get off of a tv because you are playing melee friendlies in the midst of a 100+ person brawl singles tournament, JUST GET OFF THE D4MN TV, dont give attitude, dont talk smack... just be respectful (reference to mass madness). Also its not a good idea to be insulting other players (especially when their team member sits right next to you LOLZ)

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Discussion 5,A. And Discussion 3,B ARE NOW OPEN, DISCUSS.

(Sorry I havent been on as much, Spring break is coming fast and I need to work hard at school, and my internet broke at home so im trying.. Ive also been talking and hanging out with the boyfriend so things are a little bit crazy at the moment. Forgive me.)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You can blame the constant noobs who keep making stupid threads for bumping down the other good threads, but then again that is GBD for you.

...Now do you mean like in-game taunts... Wi-Fi taunts that have messages behind them... or you mean like taunting the player in-person?

Well let's see, if it were competition, I would give no chance for my opponent to taunt me, afterall it's free damage, yet I taunt after I get a kill in said situation... Sonic's side-taunt is awesome like that. Of course I only taunt like once, that way I don't endanger myself of getting hit by anything silly. In friendlies though if I were kidding around, I guess I woul let them finish it.

Although here's an exception. If for whatever reason my opponent is playing Sonic or Captain Falcon, I find it disrespectful to not let them finish me, afterall them taunting me is just encouraging me to try harder. :p Mhm, but seriously now I guess if my opponent was a good friend of mine, I would still let him do his/(her? lolwut?) thing, unless they hit me out of my taunts in which case I would get payback.

Now I don't play Wi-Fi anymore, however when I did, I always had one side-taunt without a message ("You're too slow!" is self explanitory.), everything else was either me trying to be annoying or just leaving a message in it. I don't remember exactly what my taunts were, but I'm pretty sure it was okay. I get really angry when my opponent had a stupid comment that got me mad, and if they kept it going on, I would've just left.

Now taunting in person, unless something epic happened or something like that, I was usually too busy concentrating on the match. If I were my opponent, I would rather not be distracted by anything, but I guess things like tripping and yelling out "Sakurai!" always get a cheap laugh at the very least. Another example I can think of was if I got a Spring Jump Spring-projectile gimp with Sonic, I would just yell "Boing!"

*nod nod*

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pit's taunts should never be used, they are so degrading...

Anyway, I feel as though in game taunts should be used whenever you see fit. If the opponent asks you kindly to stop doing the taunt because they're having a rough day or whatever, I would comply but really I see no other reason to stop taunting. Unless you're in a life threatening situation of course.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I don't in-game taunt. After I kill, I think about the situation and respace myself.

As far as in-game taunting goes, if someone kills me and taunts, I'll let them. But if they just start arbitrarily taunting to camp or for whatever reason, I'll hit them, because they're free game.

Out of game taunts? You mean like joking around? I wouldn't walk up to someone I don't know, and if I killed them, shout, "GET WORKED SON!" but around my friends, I'd do that a lot, lol. I don't feel comfortable seeming cocky/stupid/etc. in front of people I've just met.

Veggi

Smash Champion
If someone sits there taunting in a 1v1 match or a stock free for all, I hit them because I'm not going to let them win a stock match FFA by not doing anything and I'm here to play the game, not wait for them. If they mistime a taunt after a kill or something cool happens that makes them want to taunt 1-3 times, I won't attack them. Pit, I will attack regardless of what he is doing.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I won't hit someone mid-taunt normally if they're doing it right. For example, if someone just landed a super-awesome KO on me, I'll gladly let them taunt. But otherwise, I slap them silly.

And one more thing: When I use Falcon, I ALWAYS say Show Me Ya Moves at the very beginning. It's obligatory.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Brawl ettiquette 101, when a tournament host tells you to get off of a tv because you are playing melee friendlies in the midst of a 100+ person brawl singles tournament, JUST GET OFF THE D4MN TV, dont give attitude, dont talk smack... just be respectful (reference to mass madness). Also its not a good idea to be insulting other players (especially when their team member sits right next to you LOLZ)
That isn't courtesy.

That's the Tournament Organizer evicts your selfish *** right there, if he's got a pair.

*~*~*~

Now taunting. That's a question of courtesy. Two answers:

Verbal taunting? Depends on environment, community standards (or if it's an inter-regional event), whether you're in pools/brackets, who you're up against, etc. etc.
But basically, if you're

Much worse than your opponent (and you lose):
you'll be a ****. (If you somehow win, you might need to run from getting the **** kicked out of you... but people will be forced to take note of the win. You'll likely still be a ****.)

Better than your opponent:
Then you're an asshat, and players won't put up with your ****. The real pros are the ones who are respectful. When they play the noobs, the least they can do is win, shake hands, gg, and leave. (Side note: if they're generous, they'll play at their best, rather than the minimum effort to beat you. This lets the losing player learn the most.)

Thankfully, skill and immaturity are rarely coincident, but it does happen. There's actually one guy in my region - cuts down any guy he beats that he judged unworthy beforehand (as in, prejudice)... but I can't call him out because he's too covert about it. It depresses me. :(

On equal footing with your opponent:
If you are denying that you're equal (i.e., taunting like you really are better), then refer back to one, 'cuz you're a ****.
If it's tongue-in-cheek, it's only ****-talking, and everyone can get a lul out of that.

I mean, I'm never going to hold back shouting "MURDER!" when I land an insta-death move with Ganondorf. (Unless, freakishly, I fight someone worse than me who's not a troll.) I see nothing wrong with this.

In the end, this game will never be closely "reffed." Anything goes outside the game. It's pretty much, if it makes other people want to kill you, you're doing something wrong; otherwise, it's just how things go.

In-game taunting?
Play to win. Taunts are moves. They're legal. I will punish anyone who uses them in front of me, and I expect the same punishment for mine.

Except Pit taunters should be castrated. No exceptions.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I don't like any taunts that make annoying sounds or look ********, including Diddy's (all of them), Sonic's ('too slow' and 'step it up'), Pit's ('not ready yet'), ZSS ('is that all?'), Olimar's (all of them), Pikachu's (electric charging one is cool though), Falco ('piece of cake'), Wolf ('scared?'), Peach's (all of them), Jigglypuff (all of them), Yoshi (all of them), and...that's about all I think. These are the ones I hate.

Wi-fi taunts will always be punished because most of the messages are meant to provoke you anyway.

I do not let my opponents get away with taunting under most circumstance if I can help it. It's like a free opening, which is too good to pass up. Taunts are legal moves, and I will punish them. They should be using the brief respite after my KO to prepare for my immediate return (unless the kill was really that great). Taunting when I have the chance to attack them is an insult that I don't take lightly. I do not use out of game taunts. I'm mostly silent during my matches, except for the rare sigh when I mess up and hit myself with a bomb or kill myself or something.

Nicole

Smash Champion
In game, I always taunt after killing someone of equal skill. If I kill someone who is better than me, I just do some crouch taunting (because I think it's n00bish to taunt someone who's clearly better than you!) I also don't taunt people who are worse than me, because that's kind of rude. This is just in tourney play though. In friendlies, I taunt away (I'm GW, so my taunts are pretty quick, and the bell is kinda annoying and funny).

If someone I'm playing taunts me, you better believe I'll be trying to hit them. I'd expect them to do the same to me.

Verbal taunting, I don't do that. Not during or after the match. I'm just not very good at talking ****. I'll talk TO the person I'm playing, sure, but I don't taunt them or trash talk them (unless I know them really really well and it's friendlies).

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Koing someone while they Taunt. HOW CAN YOU NOT!?! THEY'RE ASKING FOR IT! WARIO, I'M LOOKING RIGHT AT YOU! STICK YOUR DANG BUTT IN THE AIR AND I'M KICKING YOU BACK TO YOUR LITTLE MINIGAME WORLD! But seriously, except for over using them and getting your butt kicked, in Tournaments and once a match has gotten Serious, I always smash people for Taunting. They will die for it. And unless I try to tell my friend on Wifi that I have to leave, then all Taunts are definitely points where the Taunter lets his/her guard down to make a joke, warrenting a kill.

Respectful Taunts: I do send my friends messages like "Good Game" or, "I gotta go", or "Nice job", or "Did that Hurt?" through taunts, so I can convery my thoughts past the taunt, and people usually respect that, taunt once to say something back, and then the fighting continues. But if you taunt a stupid message or something rude like "*** YOU JUST GOT *****", then you shouldn't even care about playing with that person, or better shut them up quickly. And as for out of game Taunting, not much needs to be said except this :"Would Jesus/Buddha/Alah/(Insert Religious Person Here) want to hear you talk like that? And if you aren't religious, would you speak that way to your Mother/Father/(Husband/Wife)/(Boyfriend/Girlfriend)/Bestfriend/LittleNiece or Nephew/Crush?"

Albert.

Smash Master
I never taunt, online or off

I am usually too focused on finding a good position on the battlefield so I can keep that stock.

if someone else taunts then I'm gonna hit them. They probably taunted late!

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
There are taunt able characters. For instance, taking a stock with C.Falcon deserves a down taunt immediately, it would be rude for the opponent not showing him falcon's moves after the KO
. Another taunt able character would be Marth, the unlikely to happen, ultra rare shield breaked must be commemorated by an up taunt followed by a full powered neutral b of course.

Scott!

Smash Lord
There are taunt able characters. For instance, taking a stock with C.Falcon deserves a down taunt immediately, it would be rude for the opponent not showing him falcon's moves after the KO
. Another taunt able character would be Marth, the unlikely to happen, ultra rare shield breaked must be commemorated by an up taunt followed by a full powered neutral b of course.
This. Marth has one of the best combos in the game with his shield breaker to up taunt to shield breaker. Inescapable, and almost always kills. I love it.

But if you're gonna taunt, then do it before I can hit you if you expect to not get hit during it. Also, running away with Sonic and "You're too slow"ing is fun.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
This. Marth has one of.... combo .... forward smash...
My question here is :WHAT THE HECK DOES THE "This." infront mean? Does no one else stay awake during Lit Classes? That's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! What does that even mean?

I hate it when someone steals your kill in the fail-everyonewifi mode, and then runs around Taunting. I just want to strangle those people. Wolf and Sonics are the most guilty of it, using side smashes while Lucario and I are pwning, and then run away going "YOUR TOO SLOW!" or "WHATSAMATTERSCARED?", and I just start cutting myself I get so mad. YOU FRIGGING STOLE MY KILLS AND THEN RUN AWAY WITHOUT FIGHTING FAIR YOU CHEAP AS HECK MOTHER-FLETCHERS! IF I COULD REACH THROUGH THE TV I'D STRANGLE YOU WITH YOUR OWN CORDS! Taunting on random Wifi is annoying as heck.

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
My question here is :WHAT THE HECK DOES THE "This." infront mean? Does no one else stay awake during Lit Classes? That's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen! What does that even mean?
maybe i typo ed somewhere, i dunno.
What i meant about the taunt able characters is basically that are chars that deserves the taunt after accomplished a difficult task, like breaking a shield. You're too slow taunt just deserves a kick on the balls for all i care, it's almost as annoying as fox taunt back in 64.

Scott!

Smash Lord
The "This", when used to reference another post, means the user fully agrees with it. It's not perfect grammar, per say, but it serves its purpose, and is generally understood. I quoted Disaster-Sama, and to show how I agree with him and why I quoted him, I say "This" to indicate that I am of the same mindset.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Ohhhh. What was Fox's taunt in 64?
I <3 Fox.
Basically he's fold his arms, looks up and grunts.
About taunting, whether friendly or competetive I use taunts and hit people when they are taunting. To me it's part of the match. When you get time put in a taunt but don't put yourself in danger when doing it. If you get hit while taunting then it's your own fault for timing it wrong IMO xD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Taunts?

One of my favorite matches i can remember from a tournie is the match between SK92's Falcon and Oki's Falcon at Lylat Cruise.

Now i dont know these guys in person, but they did taunt each other after killing one another, using the up on the D-pat. The power up animation Falcon does.

Where they being rude? Nah, not from what the atmosphere felt like. For me to spectate that match and from what i gathered reading their body language, they were having a good time. They were on Falcon and they were enjoying themselves on Falcon. Although the winner of the match did not taunt after he landed the killing blow.

So in essence it really depends on who you fighting. I friendly with a guy i've been training with and we taunt when ever something weird happends.

Like we went to Pictochat, you know how it goes. We're having our match, hes throwing out Bairs on G&W and i'm grabbing him on D3. Half way through the match the stage makes the ladders. And he accidently climbs up one and stops....climbs down abit climbs up. So i'm next to one, i climb up too. He climbs up and down then taunts and i taunt too while climbing up and down the ladder untill the stage makes it disappear.

It was the strangest moment i've ever been in, and even now when i watch that video i always smile and laugh at that.

But in that situation, the taunt made it even more funny. Where as compared to SK92 and Oki's Falcon match, it was probably all about being on Falcon and owning on Falcon.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Pshhh... Taunting after kills. What you should do is use taunts during battles and use their IASA frames for mindgames.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Golden Rule:

Would my opponent attack me if I started singing "La lala la la la"?
Most of the time, the answer is yes.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
In a competetive match, I'll attack them if they taunt. They'd be stupid to taunt during a match or do a long one a little after I die.

Friendlys, hell no unless they're being annoying with it

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Taunting respectfully does exist, definitely.

I play a lot of Captain Falcon in friendlies, and I make sure my opponent knows I go in to a friendly with a play to win attitude. But when I land a punch or a knee, I make sure that the next thing I do no matter what is a D taunt. In serious matches I play G&W and DDD. Let's say I land a 9 with G&W or a Gordo with DDD. I'm going to taunt in some form but what I'm getting across while I taunt is "WOW was that lucky!"

And I'm not going to spam my bell or an annoying laugh with DDD because those types of things I think go to the rude side. I will throw a Utilt or two as G&W as an "I'm number 1" joke for landing a 9, or just crouch in that seductive pose as DDD.

When I'm with my friends, then okay. They know how to fool around and so do I; taunt it up. In an actual match though whether it is friendlies, MM, tourney set etc. it can go to far and turn into mockery. Like I've seen some G&W players at a local smashfest Dsmash an Olimar (which sends them far horizontally and a bit downwards) and taunt because they edge guarded. I'm fine with the edgeguard itself but it is basically mocking that person for playing as a tether character who can't do anything about it when they are low and horizontal. You already showed some skill in putting them in a bad position and killing them; don't rub it in though.

So long story short:
I taunt when something happens that had a very small chance of happening ie a 9 with G&W, Gordo with DDD, bomb or stitch-face as Peach, landing a punch with Falcon and etc.
I'm not doing this as a "I'm better than you" statement, it is just to say "Wow what are the odds."

In most other situations, outside of being with a bunch of friends and people you know, taunting is more like a mockery to the other player. You mine as well be saying right to his/her face, "I'm better than you, and you suck."

This game is supposed to be a party game and that is what it was made for. Taunts were thrown in as an extra little thing to make people laugh. Let's keep them that way and not turn it into a way to talk down on people.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Discussion 4,b- Starts Now, Check First Post, Discuss.

-Please Send In Requests For Further Weeks, Thankyou.-

(I am putting up more thread pictures today.)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I could've sworn somewhere around I saw some guys with the team-name "Your mom has nice Diddies", and I couldn't help but laugh. I'm not sure about how other people might've felt about it at the time (and now that you know it has been done...), but as a joke it's nothing serious. I love to live life defenitely, and so long as the team name is not offensive (I don't recall anything that might fill that category in), why not?

... Although some peope MIGHT find it annoying how I have my tag as "2Slow", even if that is the truth... ^_^

P.S. I heard M2K and some other guy at CoT4 teamed up with the name "Random Ike Guy approves of this team."

... Too... Good.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Well, it should be pretty easy to think of a team name that's hilarious without having any curse words in it. That being said, my partner and I do have a BAD WORD! in our team name...

I think that curse words in team names are ok, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT INSULTING TO OTHER TEAMS! For example, the name "Our characters ****ing suck" is ok (not very clever, but I just thought it up off the top of my head, so there) The name "You suck ***, our team will **** your ****!" on the other hand, is tasteless, stupid, and just generally unnecessary.

You should probably limit your curse words to 1 per team name...maybe 2 if it's hilarious!

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Well you have to take into account, there are kids at the tournyment. Somtimes brawlers bring their two year olds with them because they have to or somthing, do you want your two year old walking up to you going "daddy, whats diddies mean?"

Top Bottom