• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

chandy

Smash Journeyman
No one said that gimping Ivysaur took skill. It's easy as hell to do. By the way, please learn to spell, or at least get a spell-checker.
Well maybe it doesn't take skill but it's still fair so there's no need for courtesy in this aspect. By the way I do know how to spell but I just can't be bothered most of the time on a computer especially when making longer posts.

Also when I play somebody in lag and they suicide by accident then if I'm in a good mood I normally suicide for them. Some people may not have courtesy in brawl and be in it just to win it. But IMO you've got to even out having fun and trying to win (apart from in tournaments). That's what I think this thread is about; seeing which courteous actions are unnecassary and which are necassary :) . So it is an important thread unlike a lot of people have said <.<

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Well maybe it doesn't take skill but it's still fair so there's no need for courtesy in this aspect. By the way I do know how to spell but I just can't be bothered most of the time on a computer especially when making longer posts.

Also when I play somebody in lag and they suicide by accident then if I'm in a good mood I normally suicide for them. Some people may not have courtesy in brawl and be in it just to win it. But IMO you've got to even out having fun and trying to win (apart from in tournaments). That's what I think this thread is about; seeing which courteous actions are unnecassary and which are necassary :) . So it is an important thread unlike a lot of people have said <.<
Thankyou! ^^
By the way are you Chandy from BDA ?

Also does anyone just want to move on to the next topic now?

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Yes I am, Hi :). And yeah if you think you should move on to the next topic then do.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If the situation is where both players are playing hard core to win, I'd feel it disrespectful if my opponent didn't do everything possible to beat me, especially if I did some stupid mistake like that.

If it's a friendly, well, it differs depending on how seriously both of you are playing. Sometimes I'll edgehog my friends then hit them back up and be like "lol".

Other times, I'll edgehog them, then do something silly like a Sonic side-B>footstool when they're in falling state (XD insult to injury, all in good fun), and other times I'll let them recover.

But I do find it hilarious when my friends try to jump-edgehog me when I'm Ivysaur and I steal the edge with Ivy's Up-B as they fastfall to their death 9__9;

come to think of it, my friends get kind of angry whenever they play me in Brawl.

.__.; lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Then I suggest you move to some place else. As Ike would put it "you won't get any sympathy from me! :ike:."

Now not trying to be as much of a jerk with the reply, but I must admit, you come onto a website for competitive smash, and you trash the kind of answers you get here? Way to be more bias than the biased community.

Seriously, it's okay to play for fun if you don't intend on getting better, but that's not my problem if you want to improve and you limit yourself by placing these silly morals as a priority and not aside. Nobody is stopping you from playing the game you want, it's just that it is strongly discouraged at most seeing as how you don't see anybody but Evo hosting tourneys with items and such.

I made the mistake of sandbagging one of my good friends in a MM, and I don't think he realises this, but it makes me regret how I even considered such a disgraceful act and even though I wanted to have a fair game I did not and could not properly prepare him for what the real world/other people would give him. If he does read this I hope he can understand that I made a terrible mistake and if I ever got the chance to MM him again I would give him nothing but my best.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Then I suggest you move to some place else. As Ike would put it "you won't get any sympathy from me! :ike:."

Now not trying to be as much of a jerk with the reply, but I must admit, you come onto a website for competitive smash, and you trash the kind of answers you get here? Way to be more bias than the biased community.

Seriously, it's okay to play for fun if you don't intend on getting better, but that's not my problem if you want to improve and you limit yourself by placing these silly morals as a priority and not aside. Nobody is stopping you from playing the game you want, it's just that it is strongly discouraged at most seeing as how you don't see anybody but Evo hosting tourneys with items and such.

I made the mistake of sandbagging one of my good friends in a MM, and I don't think he realises this, but it makes me regret how I even considered such a disgraceful act and even though I wanted to have a fair game I did not and could not properly prepare him for what the real world/other people would give him. If he does read this I hope he can understand that I made a terrible mistake and if I ever got the chance to MM him again I would give him nothing but my best.
Ok for tourney matches doing the "honourable" thing is just stupid. But if you play courteously it doesn't mean you don't become a better player. This thread isn't stopping you playing the way that you want but if you want to play whereas both you and your opponent are having fun AND becoming better players then keeping the game even is the best method... You should obviously try your best to win but at the same time if they're just friendlies which the majority of people's games are then looking at different courtesy rules like this thread is doing is a good thing.

If you want you and your opponents to enjoy themselves whilst learning then following theses morals is the best way. This may be a "competetive" smash website but after all it's just a game and in the end games are for fun.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yeah, about lag. Maryland is a state where everyone plays games. Therefore most people have played Pokemon, Brawl, whatever. My connection is sexy.

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
mannnnn, i dont care how i win. as long as the victorys mine, im happy. victorys for me dont come too often lol, so gonna do what it takes to get them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Courtesy and respect are for before and after the match. I don't suggest pretending they belong anywhere else.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Gimping Ivysaur or other tether characters at low percents? Well, it sure can be annoying but I'm not so sure on whether it's 'respectful' or not. You can view it in a few ways. First you have the view in which you see it as completely dumb and that there's no need to play like that. You may also see it as playing to win, which is fine. Even further, you may see it the way I like to think of it.

When you gimp someone in a manner that may be seen as cheap, you are technically being respectful to the person. You wouldn't want to hide anything from your opponent would you? That would be selfish and you wouldn't be teaching the opponent anything about how the game is played. From the moment they are gimped, and assuming they are a good player, they should ask themselves, "What did I do wrong?" You are helping them answer the question by gimping them, as they would never have realized how to avoid being gimped.

tl;dr: By gimping your opponent you are showing them new things, and if they are good enough to understand they will learn from the mistake of being gimped. Therefore, you are respecting thier progress.

It's respectful IMO.

On a side note trying to be respectful in a tourny match is honestly ridiculous. I personaly wouldn't like to tell myself at the end of the match, "Ha, at least I was respectful!" Even if you won't admit it, most people play to win and backing up yourself with a respect john is plain out nuts.

The Mad Mage

Smash Rookie
I find it hilarious that people think not gimping is disrespectful.

"Hey! You let me get back up! How DARE you not gimp me, you *******! Just for that, I'm jumping off the ledge! Yeah, how do you like that!? That'll teach you!"

Srsly. If I were fighting in a tournament and a guy didn't gimp me, I'd actually consider that quite respectful. It implies that he is enjoying the match and does not wish to win in such a way that requires little to no effort or skill.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword

Please read all of the first post.

" Speak how you feel, there is no right or wrong way to play.
ALSO: Please take into account all types of gameplay: Online, Friendly, and Tourny matches, when replying to the topic. "

I can not stress that enough.

ALSO. THIS THREAD IS NOT TO TELL YOU FROM ME IF YOUR ARE A RESPECTFUL BRAWLER OR NOT! THAT IS YOUR OWN OPINON! THIS IS SIMPLY A THREAD THAT DISCUSSES THESE MATTERS AND TAKES GOOD QUOTES OF EACH SIDE FOR THE FIRST POST.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
^^

Yes I'm quite awar of that caption on the OP, don't worry I can read.

However when you come into a place and say things like this:

I'm sure as hell not going to gimp a tether recovery. Sorry, but I have this odd obsession with HAVING FUN while playing a VIDEO GAME. Gimping tether recoveries just ain't fun to me. Maybe as an Olimar user, I might be a little biased. But gimping tethers isn't a skillful way to win a match, nor is it fun to watch.
Then yeah...

"Fun" is subjective, and some other people might find 3-stocking n00bs more fun (not me). It can't be proven wrong or right, and you shouldn't/can't force your track of thought on others.

...In other words, just stating the opinion is enough, that's what I did.

P.S. that pic in the OP is awesome.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
^^

Yes I'm quite awar of that caption on the OP, don't worry I can read.

However when you come into a place and say things like this:

Then yeah...

"Fun" is subjective, and some other people might find 3-stocking n00bs more fun (not me). It can't be proven wrong or right, and you shouldn't/can't force your track of thought on others.

...In other words, just stating the opinion is enough, that's what I did.

P.S. that pic in the OP is awesome.

Aw thankyou. ^^ I think i am going to fix it though because I made it too light. xD

ANYWAYS. I dont think he was pushing his thoughts on people. He seems to feel strongly about the topic and thats the kind of responces I am looking for, I want to see everyones opinion the point of this board is not to agree but see how everyone views these topics. Fun is diffrent for every player and he was just telling you what he thought wasnt fun.

WE ARE NOW DISCUSSING WEEK 2. :chuckle:

I understand it hasnt been a full week. But we have gotten alot of replys on this board.
(alot more then I thought there would be. xD )
And I dont want you all to get bored of it so I put the quotes up and put week two's topic up also.

(Ps: If you have anything to add to week one just put week 1: . before you post about it .)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh well when you put it that way, then cool beans, I'm sorry for being such a butt.

Please carry on.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Week 1 Discussion:

Tournament Match: Go for the gimp. The other guy's probably not gonna let you slide on the same thing either. That, and it's a tournament: you're in it for the win.

Friendly: Still go for the gimp, provided you're going to point out what the other guy did wrong so he can fix it next time.

Online: I really don't see how this changes much, but yeah, what I said above.

This is coming from someone who's arguably the worst at this game and REALLY wants to get out of the bottom of the barrel. I personally value trying to challenge myself to beat stuff. The only problem is... I'm finding out I can't beat anything because no one's being helpful. I'm really starting to doubt the validity of "get ***** a lot" as advice... because I do a good job of following that as it is, but it's not helping me at all.

Week 2: Coming later...

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Week 1 Discussion:

Tournament Match: Go for the gimp. The other guy's probably not gonna let you slide on the same thing either. That, and it's a tournament: you're in it for the win.

Friendly: Still go for the gimp, provided you're going to point out what the other guy did wrong so he can fix it next time.

Online: I really don't see how this changes much, but yeah, what I said above.

This is coming from someone who's arguably the worst at this game and REALLY wants to get out of the bottom of the barrel. I personally value trying to challenge myself to beat stuff. The only problem is... I'm finding out I can't beat anything because no one's being helpful. I'm really starting to doubt the validity of "get ***** a lot" as advice... because I do a good job of following that as it is, but it's not helping me at all.

Week 2: Coming later...
I started lol'ing because thats exactly what they told me in the beginning.

" Play people that beat the crap out of you. "
and im like..... um, ok then..

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
WEEK ONE

Well I gimp my cousin when he uses ZSS, because in his case, he can and will counteract if I don't. Most characters that can get gimped can easily turn things around if you arent fast enough. You try getting hit with Olimar's Up B while on the ledge. But most just simply roll and dodge it.

Simply: If you can gimp to give you a slight advantage(or make up for your current situation) do it; if you're doing that only to the person and not even fighting normally/competitively, you sir/ma'am are an arse. lol

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
ye but suppose like ur opponent suis twice becoz of lag... I sumtimes jump off for them coz otherwise ur obviously gonna win and ur opponent will think it harsh how he lost... I wudn't jump off in online tourneys etc. but it's honourable to sui for ur opponent and shows that u want a fair game...
Ok for tourney matches doing the "honourable" thing is just stupid. But if you play courteously it doesn't mean you don't become a better player. This thread isn't stopping you playing the way that you want but if you want to play whereas both you and your opponent are having fun AND becoming better players then keeping the game even is the best method... You should obviously try your best to win but at the same time if they're just friendlies which the majority of people's games are then looking at different courtesy rules like this thread is doing is a good thing.
You've said the exact same thing three times in a row here: "If someone accidentally suicided against me, I would suicide to make it fair, unless it was in a tournament." There is absolutely no new content in these posts, except you trying to tell everyone what the purpose of this thread is. Seriously, we get it already. Why don't you explain to me how a tether recovery is something that should be capitalized upon, but a suicide (lag induced or not) isn't? If you try to come up with something substantial, I think that you will come to the conclusion that it really is. It is just another mistake, and not capitalizing upon it will insult a competitive player and hurt a scrub's playing.

Because some one needed to post it: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Okay, Infinites, I can honestly say, are a cheap way to win. That's why they're called "infinites". People have to be scared that one move that can instantly give them around 100 damage, and set them up for an easy kill? That's one thing that is unfair. The people that agree with infinites are probably the same people that have no problem with Metaknight's Cape Glitch, which is another form of the Infintie. I hate moves like that. Gimping I understand, but Infinite attacks and grabs and glitches are a cheap person's way of winning. I don't care if you like to do the same move a couple of times, as long as people have a way of doing something about it, but infinite attacks are uber cheap. And if I'm not compeditive or good for disliking them, then I don't care. Fair is fair. Unfair is unfair. Infinites are unfair. -.-

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Okay, Infinites, I can honestly say, are a cheap way to win. That's why they're called "infinites". People have to be scared that one move that can instantly give them around 100 damage, and set them up for an easy kill? That's one thing that is unfair. The people that agree with infinites are probably the same people that have no problem with Metaknight's Cape Glitch, which is another form of the Infintie. I hate moves like that. Gimping I understand, but Infinite attacks and grabs and glitches are a cheap person's way of winning. I don't care if you like to do the same move a couple of times, as long as people have a way of doing something about it, but infinite attacks are uber cheap. And if I'm not compeditive or good for disliking them, then I don't care. Fair is fair. Unfair is unfair. Infinites are unfair. -.-
Lol Infinite Cape=/=Infinites. An infinite cape can be done almost anytime. and it stops the match completely. An infinite is way harder to land, since you got to land it.

Mah, other people may infinite me and I will infinite them but Infinite Cape or the Sonic stall glitch go to far. They just stop a game and that's boring.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Still, if the game was a little better checked for these things that shouldn't even be in (no offense Sakurai, I still love the game), then this wouldn't be an issue. An infinite to me is the same as a glitch, and it's still messed up to do so.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Fair is fair.
omg! and Bair is bair :laugh:

anyways... lol
i have to agree with you, infinite grabs and stuff like that is just too dumb for the fact that it ruins the competition. If you can't find any other way to actually win, then you shouldn't play, I'm sorry for the harsh words of truth, but the truth hurts.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Lol Infinite Cape=/=Infinites. An infinite cape can be done almost anytime. and it stops the match completely. An infinite is way harder to land, since you got to land it.
Whats so bad about infinite cape, like... I dont even know of someone who has the strength to actually continue mashing the c-stick like that. I don't even see why it should be banned. It mind games and if someone actually is able to mash the c-stick that fast without stopping. I applaud you.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Being able to dodge any set of attacks, get yourself to a position where you can use your kill move no problem, stalling the match as long as you want, and basically teleporting to wherever you feel like going... It ruins compeditive gameplay... heck, it messes with regular game play period... Plenty of people can do it with no difficulty, and it's really a cheap thing to do.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I shouldnt be putting my opinons in since I am the owner of this thread but I can honestly say that I agree with this 100%.

I put this as our week 2 discussion because this actually happened to me at my second tourney. And they did it every stock. I can honestly say that made me feel like crap and I was mad for a long time. But the thing that made me even more mad is that they were better then me in the first place. This is someone I had fought a good amount of matches against. And I was really looking forward to that tourny to try my best against that person because that was my goal at the time, to beat that person so when they did that I was very .. upset. :dizzy:

I was a Lucas main back then so they picked Marth. >.> someone they had never or barely ever played with.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Is it me, or does it seem like the "Higher-Tiered" your character is, the cheaper it can be? 'cept for Lucario. He's just awesomesauce.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Is it me, or does it seem like the "Higher-Tiered" your character is, the cheaper it can be? 'cept for Lucario. He's just awesomesauce.
psh, Lucario is cheap, his camping is annoying as ****
b > b > b > roll to other side > b > b > b > roll to the other side.......................

gets quite annoying

that should be the next "weeks" topic:

what is spam and how CAN you avoid it lol

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
psh, Lucario is cheap, his camping is annoying as f***
b > b > b > roll to other side > b > b > b > roll to the other side.......................

gets quite annoying
I dont really like Lucario either though...
I just... MISS MEWTWO!!!!!! :(

ANYWAYS BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE. :laugh:

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
I find that some infinite aren't that bad as long as you cancel it or do something different for a change. Chain Grabs for instance, yea, they are annoying, but some characters NEED these to inflict a bit more damage on the "big" characters. *cough Peach cough*

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Week 1:
You've said the exact same thing three times in a row here: "If someone accidentally suicided against me, I would suicide to make it fair, unless it was in a tournament." There is absolutely no new content in these posts, except you trying to tell everyone what the purpose of this thread is. Seriously, we get it already. Why don't you explain to me how a tether recovery is something that should be capitalized upon, but a suicide (lag induced or not) isn't? If you try to come up with something substantial, I think that you will come to the conclusion that it really is. It is just another mistake, and not capitalizing upon it will insult a competitive player and hurt a scrub's playing.
If I said the same thing 3 times then I was just emphasising a point. Gimping is a kill. Lag induced suicides may be because of opponents mistakes but they require no skill. Lag does effect more characters than others so if a character did suicide and I just watched it I would suicide (like I've said 3 times before xD) because I didn't kill them. My opponent wouldn't be annoyed if I did so because I'm not going easy on them but just trying to make it fair. But a gimp is a kill and if I didn't do it when I obviously could have my opponent would be annoyed because I would be going easy on them. You want to keep it courteous but competetive which is why I say what I do. If you don't see it the way I do then that's but I feel my opinion is fair and I don't wanna take this further Dx.

Week 2:
later

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I naturally feel sorry for my opponent so I'll cut back if they aren't as good as me. If they are tough, I'll play to win, but unless they tell me to go all out of them, I won't.

Well, if they are trash talking and being douchebags, I will beat them mercilessly as cheaply as I can, but other than that, I have compassion on their souls. I can't help it.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I naturally feel sorry for my opponent so I'll cut back if they aren't as good as me. If they are tough, I'll play to win, but unless they tell me to go all out of them, I won't.

Well, if they are trash talking and being douchebags, I will beat them mercilessly as cheaply as I can, but other than that, I have compassion on their souls. I can't help it.
Aw thats so sweet. Are you female also ?

Top Bottom