• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
To .CMW., you're a little bit late. We're talking about infinties now. Also, your examples for gimping are a tad bit too... out there.... plus, not everyone is playing in tournament compeditive settings, where Fatalitying your enemy is required by Law. She was just curious first about the idea of gimping someone who made a mistake and got knocked off early and who has a teather recovery to use. Despite how commando you're first impression is, I bet you could relax and not be as harsh.
Sorry about being late, it was more a post questioning the whole thread. COMMANDO? I like it, this is WAR. You gotta be brutal, no one offers you tea and little sammiches in war, why should you offer such a "courtesy" to those you have been destined to annihilate? I may be out there, but those weren't gimping examples, more examples of ridiculous thoughts with similar mindsets to this thread, albeit extreme examples. And as was stated, SWF is for competitive brawlers. You are supposed to play to win, weather you think its rude or not. Its the way the game is, if you want a polite game, I hear Hello Kitty has made itself a fine series of games full of sunshine and rainbows. Jeez. As far as infinite grabs go, they shouldn't be in the game, but they are, so don't play against a character who can infinite your character. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. I guess I am a little extreme and maybe a little commando, but I play to win. So should you, instead of making excuses about what is nice and not nice, make exceptions.

.CMW.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Sorry about being late, it was more a post questioning the whole thread. COMMANDO? I like it, this is WAR. You gotta be brutal, no one offers you tea and little sammiches in war, why should you offer such a "courtesy" to those you have been destined to annihilate? I may be out there, but those weren't gimping examples, more examples of ridiculous thoughts with similar mindsets to this thread, albeit extreme examples. And as was stated, SWF is for competitive brawlers. You are supposed to play to win, weather you think its rude or not. Its the way the game is, if you want a polite game, I hear Hello Kitty has made itself a fine series of games full of sunshine and rainbows. Jeez. As far as infinite grabs go, they shouldn't be in the game, but they are, so don't play against a character who can infinite your character. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. I guess I am a little extreme and maybe a little commando, but I play to win. So should you, instead of making excuses about what is nice and not nice, make exceptions.

.CMW.
But we are not telling people how to play here.
And also this thread is very new and there are going to be diffrent topics that could really be debatable.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
People should have 3 mindsets in their heads when they answer to this thread:Compeditive, Standard, and Beginner. You'll find that in all 3, what is courtious and what isn't are completely different things.

But you guys really do need to calm down. I Brawl compeditively all the time. I win money from friends (and lose some of it too). I fight under tournament rules, regulations and restrictions. I play matches with my Lucario atleast 10 hours a day (even when I'm suppost to be sleeping or doing work). I dilusionally believe that If I work my butt off, I might be as good oneday as Mew2King or Azen are. (I know that's a joke). And despite all of this, even I am not taking the insults and rudeness as far as some people are. Brawl isn't always about fighting compeditively. It IS a video game. Heck, Sakurai has even mentioned that he wanted this to be about fun, not about killing eachother. People who take it too far are going to be the reason that Sakurai decides not to keep going with the Smash Series. It's okay to play compeditively. It's also okay to think about how you play when something isn't on the line. But it's not really okay to try to hurt other people who don't share the same view. And you're pathetic if you think it's okay to do so.

And to .CMW., I've been there. I know that this is war. I know that to get good, I'm going to have to completely slaughter anything that moves that gets in my way. Trust me. I've had that mind-set for a while. But still, you can't verbally abuse people who have different ideas. Simply being level-headed and getting your point accross works just as well, if not better, than being brutal and going all extreme. I understand the compeditive world. But I don't stay in that mind-set all of the time. Again, this IS JUST a game. When you come out of the game, you can't act this way all time. You're not going to function in society that way. :p

fragbait

Smash Master
Guys, WTF. Aqua made a great post discussing an element of Smash, and you guys blast her? WTF. Why don't you play her and try to tell her that she holds back, because SHE WILL F***ING **** YOU. TWICE.
That being said, seriously. You guys sound like M2K, for chrissakes. Take the post for what it is and stop acting like /b/tards.
F***.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
In plus, Everyone knows there are glitches and a TON of things that arent suppost to be in brawl that are and those are some of the major things we will discuss here.

Yea, seriously who do you think you guys are.... God , M2K, Take your pick . xD

Scott!

Smash Lord
Jeez, people. For a thread on Courtesy, I'm seeing a lot of anger and general discourtesy.

The basic premise of the thread is a question. The OP never said "Edgehogging is cheap" or "Infinites are cheap". She asked a serious question. Is it scrubby? Maybe to you battlehardened pros. But seriously, it's just a question.

Also, where does it say that Smashboards is only for competitive players, no one else allowed? I was looking around for that clause, and couldn't find it, and would like to see that bit. Otherwise, just stop your flaming.

If this were in the Tactical boards, maybe you would have a point. But this is a general question in the General boards. Let it go. If you're really offended by the mere suggestion of "honor", you care too much.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
I wont play too *******ly unless the person im playing with talks crap. Also sometimes I play cheaply to try to help find ways for others to get around certain things. (ie IC infinite)

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
But it's not really okay to try to hurt other people who don't share the same view. And you're pathetic if you think it's okay to do so.
So, you invite someone to play a game where the sole objective is to KILL THE OPPONENT UNTIL THEY HAVE NO LIVES and it is RUDE to kill them? They accepted the challenge, in fact they probably knew how good you were. Your goal is to KILL, if you have a chance to kill, caused by mistake or inexperience it doesn't matter, you MUST KILL to fulfill the ONLY POINT of the game. It'll help them learn not to make mistakes. I don't see what is wrong about killing when the game is a killing game.

.CMW.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
So, you invite someone to play a game where the sole objective is to KILL THE OPPONENT UNTIL THEY HAVE NO LIVES and it is RUDE to kill them? They accepted the challenge, in fact they probably knew how good you were. Your goal is to KILL, if you have a chance to kill, caused by mistake or inexperience it doesn't matter, you MUST KILL to fulfill the ONLY POINT of the game. It'll help them learn not to make mistakes. I don't see what is wrong about killing when the game is a killing game.

.CMW.
1.) Never said there was anything rude about killing people, I mean gesh we dont even have a topic on "is killing people rude".... so that was tottally random of you. 0.0

2.) Things we discuss in here arent general ideas. We are talking about little tiny aspects of the game that people usually dont think about. Infinites, tether recovery, tripping, ect.

3.) Please calm down everyone, This is a discussion, We are NOT telling anyone how to play, we are simply sharing our thoughts. :)

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
And to .CMW., I've been there. I know that this is war. I know that to get good, I'm going to have to completely slaughter anything that moves that gets in my way. Trust me. I've had that mind-set for a while. But still, you can't verbally abuse people who have different ideas. Simply being level-headed and getting your point accross works just as well, if not better, than being brutal and going all extreme. I understand the compeditive world. But I don't stay in that mind-set all of the time. Again, this IS JUST a game. When you come out of the game, you can't act this way all time. You're not going to function in society that way. :p

Hehehe, Well people will tell you, I'm probably the nicest guy you will ever meet. I'm not rude or abusive in real life. This isn't real life, its a video game, and to get competitive you gotta put your head into it! I AM LUCARIO, I AM DK. lol. I play video games to have fun but to be good, and to be good you gotta be tough, if you show an ounce of compassion or let your guard down for even a second, BAM your opponent will bend you over the nearest table. I know I'm being pushy, but c'mon, games are for winning, you either win or lose, one brings glory, the other shame. I play games to win, I guess compassion was lost a long time ago.

.CMW.

Omnath

Smash Ace
Obviously this thread is losing its point if you people are too ignorant to see why it was made. Aqua is a really nice person and deserves better than most of what you have said because you misunderstood everything that everyone has said. Before causing problems, maybe you should consider how ridiculous you are trying to do so, eh?

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
When I said it's wrong to hurt people and you're pathetic if you think otherwise, I WAS REFERING TO THIS THREAD! What kind of idiot would make a fighting game where you don't hurt eachother? That's just stupid. That's like swimming without water. But you guys still don't need to attack her over simple yet important questions.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
1.) Never said there was anything rude about killing people, I mean gesh we dont even have a topic on "is killing people rude".... so that was tottally random of you. 0.0
Oh goodness gravy. Am I wrong or is this topic about being honorable? And when you aren't honorable you are being rude in some way. And one of the topics discussed was killing people via tether gimping. So I am being the opposite of honorable and if I am gimping tethered opponents, wouldn't I be a rude killer? Thus I said the "killing is rude" statement. Even though it wasn't stated as such in the topic, it is totally reasonable of me to say this. "Is it honorable to kill people when *insert situation*" is simply the flip side of "Is it rude to kill people when *insert situation*". *shrugs*

.CMW.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword

Hehehe, Well people will tell you, I'm probably the nicest guy you will ever meet. I'm not rude or abusive in real life. This isn't real life, its a video game, and to get competitive you gotta put your head into it! I AM LUCARIO, I AM DK. lol. I play video games to have fun but to be good, and to be good you gotta be tough, if you show an ounce of compassion or let your guard down for even a second, BAM your opponent will bend you over the nearest table. I know I'm being pushy, but c'mon, games are for winning, you either win or lose, one brings glory, the other shame. I play games to win, I guess compassion was lost a long time ago.

.CMW.

Yes but not everyone has that idea, and they shouldnt be told to fight that way just because thats the way you like to fight.

Also im a girl so I have alot of compassion and just a tad in Brawl. xD

kr3wman

Smash Master
I'm respectful to anyone who is not braindead. Which is a very limited number.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Oh goodness gravy. Am I wrong or is this topic about being honorable? And when you aren't honorable you are being rude in some way. And one of the topics discussed was killing people via tether gimping. So I am being the opposite of honorable and if I am gimping tethered opponents, wouldn't I be a rude killer? Thus I said the "killing is rude" statement. Even though it wasn't stated as such in the topic, it is totally reasonable of me to say this. "Is it honorable to kill people when *insert situation*" is simply the flip side of "Is it rude to kill people when *insert situation*". *shrugs*

.CMW.
1.) Even if you are not respectful doesnt mean you are rude.
2.) I never placed my opinion on any of these topics, so you can not say that I also think of such a thing as honerable players. This thread was made for others to voice opinions.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
2.) I never placed my opinion on any of these topics, so you can not say that I also think of such a thing as honerable players. This thread was made for others to voice opinions.
Main Entry: disrespect
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: disregard, rudeness toward someone
Synonyms: boldness, coarseness, contempt, discourtesy, dishonor, flippancy, hardihood, impertinence, impiety, impoliteness, impudence, incivility, insolence, insolency, insolentness, irreverence, lack of respect, sacrilege, unmannerliness
Antonyms: civility, esteem, honor, regard, respect, reverence

Oh yes it does, if you are being disrespectful there is a large chance of rudeness.

.CMW.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Main Entry: disrespect
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: disregard, rudeness toward someone
Synonyms: boldness, coarseness, contempt, discourtesy, dishonor, flippancy, hardihood, impertinence, impiety, impoliteness, impudence, incivility, insolence, insolency, insolentness, irreverence, lack of respect, sacrilege, unmannerliness
Antonyms: civility, esteem, honor, regard, respect, reverence

Oh yes it does, if you are being disrespectful there is a large chance of rudeness.

.CMW.
I didnt say if you werent respectful then you were disrespectful.
Some people arent honorable and they are just normal, nothing disrespectful about that..

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
There is room in between, there are people that are just tottal spamo's and jerks and those are disrespectful, normal players are normal and then there are respectful players.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
No. You either gimp a tether or you don't. You either do whatever infinite or you don't. There is no space in between.
There's always something neutral. You could give them some damage but not utterly **** them.

When you put your black and white views together, you make a grey. Unless you're colorblind. So no wonder.

EDIT: Yeah, what Aqua said.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
There is room in between, there are people that are just tottal spamo's and jerks and those are disrespectful, normal players are normal and then there are respectful players.
It looks like he can now.

Edit:
There's always something neutral. You could give them some damage but not utterly **** them.

When you put your black and white views together, you make a grey. Unless you're colorblind. So no wonder.

EDIT: Yeah, what Aqua said.
What would be the point in that? If I believe infinites are okay, then I have no reason to not perform them all the way to my opponent's death. Conversely, If I believe infinites are disrespectful (and I don't want to disrespect my opponent, of course), then I will stay away from them as much as possible. No one is going to infinite some one for a while then let them go because they're feeling nice.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Nope, Quail said it. You can choose to infinite or not to infinite, you can choose to gimp or not to gimp. You can't go in the middle on these specific things. What is a normal player? You can't half way infinite or half way gimp a tether. Yes or no.

.CMW.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
^^ Maybe they're facing a very high-ranking player and want to win anyway, but don't want to have to tell people that they won only because of an infinite.

To quail man

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Nah. People can use multiple grabs all the time, but grabbing or tilting or infiniting forever crosses lines. If someone does a move more than 3-4 times and doesn't intend on stoping, that's kinda the point where they're being cheap. Again, gimping a tether recovery is fine. But when you start being uber cheap with infinites the entire match or as your only way of racking up damage, it's pretty messed up.

Edit:Hive, You, Aqua and I seem to be of a similar mind set. :p

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
^^ Exactly. If you are only good because you can move and grab forever and you can grab a ledge, you are not a good player. It's doesn't make for very exciting matches, and doesn't take much skill.

To da d mon

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
Nah. People can use multiple grabs all the time, but grabbing or tilting or infiniting forever crosses lines. If someone does a move more than 3-4 times and doesn't intend on stoping, that's kinda the point where they're being cheap. Again, gimping a tether recovery is fine. But when you start being uber cheap with infinites the entire match or as your only way of racking up damage, it's pretty messed up.

Edit:Hive, You, Aqua and I seem to be of a similar mind set. :p
These "lines" are creations of your imagination, and the symptom of a scrub's atitude. I think this applies to the other two people that you mentioned.

First off I am a GIRL. Gesh.
.CMW., not you. I meant that he can say that you "think of such a thing as honerable players."

Because I don't feel like making another post:

Okay im just going to say this.
I dont care what you people think,
YOU ARENT EVEN CONTRIBUTING TO THE THREAD, YOU ARE TEARING IT APART.
We are soo off topic.

IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS BOARD THEN LEAVE, YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINT CLEAR.
No, we are just tearing apart the walls you have built in your head. Read this for an explanation

No you said it to me because you quoted something I said.
Yeah, hence the use of the word "he," meaning .CMW., instead of "you," meaning you.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
We are soo off topic.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
These "lines" are creations of your imagination, and the symptom of a scrub's atitude. I think this applies to the other two people that you mentioned.

.CMW., not you. I meant that he can say that you "think of such a thing as honerable players."
No you said it to me because you quoted something I said.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
We are soo off topic.

Holy kittens, take a chill pill darling. You don't see any of your "enemies" on this thread blowing up...We just have different opinions than you. We are still on topic, this thread is about courtesy in Brawl, the ideas you have posted have two polars, they don't take very long to discuss, we are done with what was in the OP and now we are running with courtesy vs. non-courtesy. Do you want your thread to stop every time an old idea has been done to death? Cool down, we are simply stating our opinions. State yours, don't yell.

.CMW.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
We seriously need a flame barricade or something of that nature.

No wonder, you main Marth, you go around whenever you face a Lucas or Ness and say "ha i don't need to do anything but grab losers ha". Gosh, give them a chance (no assumptions here but I bet you do the infinite, they way you're passive aggressively defensive about it). If you don't, you're being extremely self-centered.

Edit: CMW, quail's calling us scrubs. We probably are, but that's offensive. His post did nothing but make us look bad. Aqua had a right to say something.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
We seriously need a flame barricade or something of that nature.

No wonder, you main Marth, you go around whenever you face a Lucas or Ness and say "ha i don't need to do anything but grab losers ha". Gosh, give them a chance (no assumptions here but I bet you do the infinite, they way you're passive aggressively defensive about it). If you don't, you're being extremely self-centered.
I could say the exact mother****ing thing about you being able to beat like everything I ****ing do with Kirby with G&W's fat *** bair.

You are being a huge scrub, end of discussion. The infinite is part of the game and is part of the reason why those characters suck, get over it.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Holy kittens, take a chill pill darling. You don't see any of your "enemies" on this thread blowing up...We just have different opinions than you. We are still on topic, this thread is about courtesy in Brawl, the ideas you have posted have two polars, they don't take very long to discuss, we are done with what was in the OP and now we are running with courtesy vs. non-courtesy. Do you want your thread to stop every time an old idea has been done to death? Cool down, we are simply stating our opinions. State yours, don't yell.

.CMW.
If I have to ill start a new topic but we only kept the first one for one or two days. I need to compile the good quotes. And I dont know, Tell me if you want to start a new topic now or what.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I could say the exact mother****ing thing about you being able to beat like everything I ****ing do with Kirby with G&W's fat *** bair.

You are being a huge scrub, end of discussion. The infinite is part of the game and is part of the reason why those characters suck, get over it.
At least a bair doesn't give 300% damage.

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Yes new topic please, otherwise we WILL keep challenging your opinions and we WILL keep telling you why honor is for the birds in SSBB...No I don't mean its for Falco only.

.CMW.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Assuming you get good responces for both sides, you can make a new topic pretty much when you want to. Although if everyone's going to get all headed and fight and insult everyone, I think you should wait until you find intelligent things that people have said.

It would be interesting to see how people respond to Tripping, being the newest and most controvercial aspect of Brawl.

Also, I personally don't think I'm a scrub for not beliving in infinitly grabbing or glitching or anything like that to win, especially when I see videos of high-level players who don't rely on such tactics either. Even at the top levels of compeditive play, there's still "ethics" to what you do and don't do.

Top Bottom