• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Common Courtesy.. Are You A Respectful Brawler?

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I'm sure you could ask for a moderator to help you with that. Just go find the moderator of the General Forums, (who's names are in Red), and ask them for the help.

If she has us post about camping, I'll put more input there. But still, people don't really NEED to infinite chaingrab to win. They just do it when they're losing so that they can claim they had a major comback or whatever. I'll talk more about camping at another week, but infinites that people can do absolutely nothing about and that guarantes an instant win (which most do) are cheap.

PS:I bet EdreesesPieces could argue about Peach being able to own by just being her natural Peachy self.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
PS:I bet EdreesesPieces could argue about Peach being able to own by just being her natural Peachy self.
I know she can, I main her ;P
But I sometimes throw in some chain grabs to help deal some of that extra damage and replenish some of my stale Dairs :)

(I believe chain grabbing replenishes stale moves, am I right??)

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I'm sure you could ask for a moderator to help you with that. Just go find the moderator of the General Forums, (who's names are in Red), and ask them for the help.

If she has us post about camping, I'll put more input there. But still, people don't really NEED to chaingrab to win. They just do it when they're losing so that they can claim they had a major comback or whatever. I'll talk more about camping at another week, but infinites that people can do absolutely nothing about and that guarantes an instant win (which most do) are cheap.

I just was wishing someone would go to a mod and be like ive been at this great thread and I think it should be sticky'ed blah, blah. I didnt want to ask myself, being the owner of the thread its not very reliable and they may think im some selfish noob. :ohwell:

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
I just was wishing someone would go to a mod and be like ive been at this great thread and I think it should be sticky'ed blah, blah. I didnt want to ask myself, being the owner of the thread its not very reliable and they may think im some selfish noob. :ohwell:
I would help you, but the fact is, I AM a selfish noob :laugh::psycho::laugh::psycho:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Chaingrabs are just another strategy. It's unfortunate that they're in the game, but they're there. And they're pretty important for some characters. They're critical for the Ice Climbers, though their chaingrabs are a bit different. Falco and Dedede have good ones too. Infinites like Dedede's are stupid, and all, but it's part of the game. If you don't do it, you're holding back. Yes, it makes certain characters unviable alone, and I don't want to discuss the issues of banning it or not (take that to the proper thread). And yes, they are kind of cheap. But to not do them (unless banned) is essentially to sandbag.

Edit: Also, I don't think this really needs to be stickied. As long as the discussion is still going strong, it'll always be on the front page. And if it dies and you want to pick it back up, just bump it.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Chaingrabs are just another strategy. It's unfortunate that they're in the game, but they're there. And they're pretty important for some characters. They're critical for the Ice Climbers, though their chaingrabs are a bit different. Falco and Dedede have good ones too. Infinites like Dedede's are stupid, and all, but it's part of the game. If you don't do it, you're holding back. Yes, it makes certain characters unviable alone, and I don't want to discuss the issues of banning it or not (take that to the proper thread). And yes, they are kind of cheap. But to not do them (unless banned) is essentially to sandbag.
I have to agree, to some extent chain grabbing are good. But I just hate those that abuse it. Abusing things is BAAAAAAD. lol

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword

Edit: Also, I don't think this really needs to be stickied. As long as the discussion is still going strong, it'll always be on the front page. And if it dies and you want to pick it back up, just bump it.
Yes but chaingrabbing is alot diffrent from infiniting. Er how ever you spell it. =P
There is no way for them to get out of that. Its pretty much a glitch.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I reported him too.
He isnt just doing it on this board, He made his own board spamming and is doing it on other boards also.
I hope they ban him reallly soon, this is throwing our discussion off track.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Infinites are dumb. I do wish they weren't in the game, because I do think they mess with the balance. The only ones I approve of are the Ice Climbers ones, and they have such terrible grab range that "Don't get grabbed" is viable against them. But Dedede's infinite on Mario, etc. is just a dumb oversight. But, if a Dedede and a Mario were to come across one another in a tournament, I think, unless the infinite were banned, the Dedede shouldn't avoid using it. The Mario player just has to accept the consequences of his main, or counterpick.

Ignore it and it will be taken care of. Now, back on track.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Infinites are dumb. I do wish they weren't in the game, because I do think they mess with the balance. The only ones I approve of are the Ice Climbers ones, and they have such terrible grab range that "Don't get grabbed" is viable against them. But Dedede's infinite on Mario, etc. is just a dumb oversight. But, if a Dedede and a Mario were to come across one another in a tournament, I think, unless the infinite were banned, the Dedede shouldn't avoid using it. The Mario player just has to accept the consequences of his main, or counterpick.
yea, i'd just feel sorry for him/her if thats their only main. Thankfully, I use a LOT of characters. :laugh:

Scott!

Smash Lord
yea, i'd just feel sorry for him/her if thats their only main. Thankfully, I use a LOT of characters. :laugh:
Yeah, it does suck for the victims of the infinite. But they can just pick up a secondary who counters Dedede or something, and they're good to go.

Edit: I told you so. :D

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
most of my mains consist of the girls however *cough* so i kinda have the chain grabbing down to a minimum if any were to happen to pop up against one of them :p

Edit: anywho.... back on infinites topic lol

Scott!

Smash Lord
On topic, eh? So, infinites. I personally think there's no valid reason not to use them in a competitive environment. I also would never use them against friends unless we were both serious and/or I was practicing. Or if I just felt really jerky that day, but even then, I'd let them out. I do use Marth's infinite up against walls, though I'll usually stop not too far over 100, since it seems like they could come out soon. So then, not an infinite, but pretty bad.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
On topic, eh? So, infinites. I personally think there's no valid reason not to use them in a competitive environment. I also would never use them against friends unless we were both serious and/or I was practicing. Or if I just felt really jerky that day, but even then, I'd let them out. I do use Marth's infinite up against walls, though I'll usually stop not too far over 100, since it seems like they could come out soon. So then, not an infinite, but pretty bad.
marth infinite?? dtilt?

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Infinite Chain Grabs are cheap. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that. Regular Chain grabs that people can and do something about, I'm perfectly fine with. Infact, if Snake or Dedede doesn't feel like trying to do anything about it, they'll find themselves being force-palmed several times in a match. I just dislike infinites. Again, they are the same to me as Glitches.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Some times I feel kinda bad for using a grab infinite with the ICs. But usually only if I end up taking down all 3 of their lives because of that infinite.

Although, it is their fault for getting grabbed 3 times by the ICs.

SPYMOFT

Smash Cadet
Infinite Chain Grabs are cheap. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that. Regular Chain grabs that people can and do something about, I'm perfectly fine with. Infact, if Snake or Dedede doesn't feel like trying to do anything about it, they'll find themselves being force-palmed several times in a match. I just dislike infinites. Again, they are the same to me as Glitches.
I especially love how Falco thinks he can chain grab Snake. I wouldn't ever try that if you were versing me.

Note: Mains: Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS, Snake, Wolf, and uhhh... a few other characters which aren't important in my matches. :p

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I think that chaingrabs are a normal part of the game. Quite honestly, if you want to avoid it, stay in the air, or choose a level with platforms, like Norfair, Brinstar, or Battlefield.
I am a Lucas main, and if a Marth grabs me, it's my job to jump-break/insta break. I don't ***** and moan, I get around it.

leonbird

Smash Rookie
well to me, if you cant adapt and get back/ counter what's in front of you, you got a lot to learn buddy. its like shooting a basketball, yeah yippie kai yay i can shoot it in no problem, but do i have the skills to shoot it in while someone's harassing me to get the ball? the game gives those characters those mechanics, tough love. cause truth is, you don't learn much from playing "fair"

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Respectful? What the f*ck? What does respect have to do in competitive situations? You are respecting the person by giving them your all. Hell, they picked a character that has a tether, why the hell wouldn't you exploit a weakness. By all means, play a friendly and let them get back up. *Hey DK is at 300% but I won't smash him to death because it would be exploiting a weakness he now has* Ivysaur and ZSS and Olimar have tether recoveries, tether recoveries aren't the best. They are allowed to have weaknesses. *Woah that Squirtle sure is lousy at surviving at percentages above 100% with my DK, I don't think I'll hit him, his low weight is a weakness I would NEVER exploit* Jeeeeeeez. Competitive you play to win, that is kind of what it is all about, my sons. They made a mistake, picked a character with a gaping sore. Their fault, go get 'em tiger.

.CMW.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
Well, there are several aspects to the term "infinites." For IC's alternating grabs and hobbling, they would be complete shit with out them, and their grab range is bad, so no, it's not impolite to use them. For Dedede's DK, Mario, Samus, and Luigi infinite and Marth's Lucas infinite, they are obviously character spesific, and therefore can easily be counterpicked against. For Laser and Ice Block locking, they are very hard to set up, and push you to the edge of the stage anyway. For all wall infinites, most stages with walls are banned anyway, and the others are usually hard to set up on (Green Greens has platforms, Cornaria has the entire left side of the stage, and Onett has cars to interrupt the infinites). In sum, there is no infinite without a counter, and therefore should be treated just like any other advantage you have over your opponent.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Aw thats so sweet. Are you female also ?
No lol

But maybe I'm just too kind.

And I know some smashers who are girls, and they quickly lose interest in playing against you if you're just playing to win no matter what haha

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
To .CMW., you're a little bit late. We're talking about infinties now. Also, your examples for gimping are a tad bit too... out there.... plus, not everyone is playing in tournament compeditive settings, where Fatalitying your enemy is required by Law. She was just curious first about the idea of gimping someone who made a mistake and got knocked off early and who has a teather recovery to use. Despite how commando you're first impression is, I bet you could relax and not be as harsh.

To Quailman, very nice points. Now that you think about it, most infinite attacks and grabs are fully counterable. I still feel that they are cheap, but there is a lot you can do to even Infinites. I hope that she quotes your message. It was smart, well thought out, and has meaning.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
In Smash, the only respect you need to show is after the match (or during it by keeping your mouth shut). If you don't go all out, you're disrespecting the other person. There's no cheap in Smash, only moves. Well... except maybe for the glitches that got banned in Melee.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I read 'if you keep playing to win you're going to run out of friends' and immediately stopped reading. This is a scrub thread, if it's in the game and legal, ****ing ***** the hell out of it for all I care.

This is a great thread for people looking to place really ****ty in tourneys, because Snake and other characters are going to **** your face off for not gimping them and instead dealing with a character that lives for freaking forever.

GofG

Smash Champion
Smashboards is a website for competitive, tournament-level smash. It is run by competitive, tournament-level players, and it is run for competitive, tournament-level players. If you want to talk about playing smash "for fun", make your own website. You aren't welcome here.

edit: obviously i didn't read the thread, i just read the OP. I don't really care about reading the thread.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Smashboards is a website for competitive, tournament-level smash. It is run by competitive, tournament-level players, and it is run for competitive, tournament-level players. If you want to talk about playing smash "for fun", make your own website. You aren't welcome here.
I love you.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword

edit: obviously i didn't read the thread, i just read the OP. I don't really care about reading the thread.
Maybe you should reread the first post. -_-
This thread is a discussion. Everyone has an opinion.
The discussion is for friendlys, Tournys, and mm, ect.

Believe it or not, There are people that like to play video games for fun.
And there are plenty of threads that are not TOURNY-LEVEL related.

Plus we can all tell you are not a respectful brawler with the way you talk to other brawlers...

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
And this is why you are a scrub. We do have fun, and we play to win, get your bull**** out of here.
So do I. Please stop being disrespectful.
I dont know you its not hurting me, It just making you look like a jerk.
Anyways, You obviously didnt see the point in this thread.
I NEVER said that I dont play to win,
OR THAT ANYONE ELSE SHOULDNT PLAY TO WIN.

This thread is to hear everyones opinions.
I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO PLAY.

Top Bottom