• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

J_RUM

Smash Rookie
This probably makes me seem like a n00b (which could be true), but where do you enter the codes?
You enter them in "codemgr" which is a program that runs .txt files. I would just read a guide on the first post Wind Owl links to. You won't be able to do it if you updated your Wii on 23rd of October.

B.W.

Smash Champion
After playing around with 30 mins, I think I realized even more how much trash this game really is if adding hacks doesnt really help.

There appears to be too much **** flinching going on. Not enough moves put ppl in the tumble animation let alone soon enough for combos to be effect. By the time moves put you in the tumble, the knockback on those moves are too great for comboing effectively. I think the floatiness affects that a lot also.

So it would appear that the hitstun code actually helps you time the air dodge better than without it and it would appear that we need more hit stun or less flinching or something. These are what i noticed, I may be wrong.
I think the big problem is, we can act as soon as tumble begins. Remember that in Melee you couldn't act out of tumble right away, you had to wait a good amount of time to act again.

Also in Melee you have to recall that you didn't always get the tumble animation, and when you did it wasn't until certain percents for some attacks.

zxeon

Smash Lord
I think the big problem is, we can act as soon as tumble begins. Remember that in Melee you couldn't act out of tumble right away, you had to wait a good amount of time to act again.

Also in Melee you have to recall that you didn't always get the tumble animation, and when you did it wasn't until certain percents for some attacks.
In Melee you can't act out of the tumble at all (I just got done playing it). The only thing you can do out of the tumble is jump or smash on the control stick left or right to get yourself out of the tumble animation. I think thats the missing link here and part of the reason we can't get combos off.

B.W.

Smash Champion
That is how it worked isn't it? I completely forgot about having to wiggle as I rarely do it. I'm never fast enough and I always end up teching anyway.

Yeah listen to zxeon. I had a dumb moment.

Though my point still stands. We can act out of tumble. And it's bad.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there a way to alter stats with codes? I mean, you could release new ones as "Patches" of sorts to actually balance the gameplay if you could do that.

Maybe make MetaKnight not so broken or something

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Snake however, is broken out the wazzoo. D3 also gets ridiculous.
Nah, they can nerf Meta and SNake, but as a D3 main...I am strictly opposed to him being nerfed in any kind

izzy24

Smash Ace
although i kinda support SOME form of haking, i think the best way of balancing brawl is to change attack percentages/knockback.
That is to say, i wouldn't mind not having l-cancel, wd, or hitstun if for example snakes uptilt knockback could get reduced and other stuff that make other characters broken.

matt4300

Smash Ace
i agree izzy i would rather have a more balanced brawl (without haveing to change the core game; just the chars) but since i know thats either impossible or very difficult i am going to settle for wd l-canceling and hitstun... if nothing eles its more fun to play ^_^

kupo15

Smash Hero
we dont have enough code space to balance brawl through the characters. Just enough to balance brawl through core mechanics changes

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i agree izzy i would rather have a more balanced brawl (without haveing to change the core game; just the chars) but since i know thats either impossible or very difficult i am going to settle for wd l-canceling and hitstun... if nothing eles its more fun to play ^_^
Would that really balance it, I think all that would do would be switch around the tier list a bit, just with different characters being on top and others being on bottom...

izzy24

Smash Ace
we dont have enough code space to balance brawl through the characters. Just enough to balance brawl through core mechanics changes
But is not addind or substracting anything, just rewording the existing codes.
or IDK i'm a scrub in terms of codes and hacking and maybe ur right.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
^ They could do that, but I think they are adding and not overwriting. Btw this hack looks good. This would def make Brawl much more interesting and give other characters a chance.

kupo15

Smash Hero
For the hackers/those in Brawl+ group. I have a suggestion:

I think we are going about hacking all wrong in a way. I think we are focusing on what we can take away from melee to make brawl better when we should be seeing what we can take away from 64 to make brawl better. I think this because brawl is more similar to 64 than it is melee in that its floaty like 64 and the overall physics lean toward 64.
Also, moves were overpowered in that game similar to that of brawl. Melee moves were better made for keeping ppl close at the lower percents and this differs in brawl. We dont have enough code to make brawl melee 2.0 so we should model it off of something similar, 64.

This means that I think we should use 64's hitstun system as our guideline. Now you might say that doing this will stress a high defense in fear of 0-death combos present in 64. I disagree.

Brawl's strength is in its defense and 64's strength is in its offense. So if we combine brawls already strong def with a strong offensive reward of 64, then it will balance out.

If you think that brawl will be as "broken" as 64 with its 0-death combos, I dont believe it will because brawls defense is better. You wont get your shield broken for defending yourself, you can DI better which is make comboing harder, and you can air dodge when they mess up.

The current stun time for brawl is not enough to allow adequate combos because most moves push people away out of combo range and doesnt provide enough hitstun time to close the gap.

This is not to say that we dont pull things from melee. We keep air dodging, some form whether it be brawl or melee or a combination of them. Another problem with brawl is the lag from the ground attacks are too much which makes follow ups harder. This is where wavedashing can help but I propose a WD closer to melee where you can't stack WDes.

What we have is
- a fixed wavedash mechanic to help keep up from laggy ground moves

- 64 histun style hitstun to give you more time to follow up due to the overpowered knockback of most moves that dont allow for comboing

-Auto l canceling or whatever the lag cancel system will be

This will be our foundation for the game then we can add extra stuff if needed to balance the game further.

So you have the tech skill from melee and the better def from brawl added to 64 which will make up Brawl+

I feel we NEED to model our combo system off of 64 over melee because the attack properties of Brawl resemble 64 more than melee and we cant fight brawl's physics engine either by twisting it into something its not.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
i agree with you for once lol, i do think the melee air dodge system needs to be tweaked and also don't forget the dash dance code, its nice and very helpful but it could use some work as for hit stun i like the idea of 64 hs but really anything is fine with me ^^. the l cancel could use a tweak also to make it more like melee and 64.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Probably a good idea, but I think the overall goal should be making Brawl a better game, whether it resembles a previous Smash or not.

That said, I love 64 almost as much as Melee, so I'm not opposed to that idea.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Probably a good idea, but I think the overall goal should be making Brawl a better game, whether it resembles a previous Smash or not.

I didn't make the suggestion to resemble 64 for the sake of mimicking 64. I did it because I feel that the physics of brawl and the attributes of attacks and the nature of the game matches 64 more than melee and that by doing so (mimicking 64 more) it will create a more solid and competitive Brawl. This is because we wont be fighting the physics engine of brawl to twist it into melee (two different engines) but instead we are working with the engine we are given by matching it to a similar one (64).

This is mainly for the comboing system because that is the basis of a fighting game and thus will make brawl more competitive when we have a better risk/reward/punishment system.

This is an unbiased assessment I made.

(bolded) cool

matt4300

Smash Ace
I didn't make the suggestion to resemble 64 for the sake of mimicking 64. I did it because I feel that the physics of brawl and the attributes of attacks and the nature of the game matches 64 more than melee and that by doing so (mimicking 64 more) it will create a more solid and competitive Brawl. This is because we wont be fighting the physics engine of brawl to twist it into melee (two different engines) but instead we are working with the engine we are given by matching it to a similar one (64).

This is mainly for the comboing system because that is the basis of a fighting game and thus will make brawl more competitive when we have a better risk/reward/punishment system.

This is an unbiased assessment I made.

(bolded) cool
I have been lurking here for a long time and just recently started posting mostly because of these hacks wich i love. and so far from all the reading i have done since before brawl came out until now this would be the ideal setting IMO.
i have been thinking that the more melee brawl becomes the better ( because i loved melee) but this makes much more since ;) the defence in regular brawl just feels broken tbh and with the broken offence of 64 i cant see how this would fail. other than some chars haveing more tumbeling moves then others. so i think im going to shut up and continue to watch how this plays out i leave it in yours and wind owls hands XD (theres also a person with a sweet red flame-y anime chick sig that has been a prominent person in threads dealing with brawl +)

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i have a suggestion to remove the desynchs that happen during hacked brawl. it appears they are caused by the S/L cancelling codes. perhaps a code that simply auto cancels all the aerials (im assuming this would be easier than adding an input to it) could be made? maybe that'll alleviate any latency issues? cause aside from the desynch its pretty awesome.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to like the idea of auto-L-canceling everything... for the simple fact that it SHOULD reduce the amount of code by a lot.

I also think a much more direct, shorter hitstun code should be made, but obviously all of these things require Phantom Wings.

I'll be more active again pretty soon guys, I promise. (:

Revven

FrankerZ
My question is: is adding codes the only way to hack brawl, or can one just alter the existing codes?
You can't just alter a code without knowing what each line does, and you still might not be able to alter said code without a USB Gecko or decent understanding of what you would need to change. It's not that simple.

Starscream

Smash Ace

This seems kind of weird to me...

Are you here as a fan of competitive fighting games or as a fan of the Smash Bros series? Do you really want to change Brawl so much just so it becomes a good competitive fighter instead of a competitive Smash game? Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough code space to mutate Brawl into something that doesn't resemble a previous Smash game.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with tweaking Brawl to be like 64 or Melee or both because I love both of those games and they're competitive as well. Brawl will still be Brawl because of the new content, characters and stages. It will just be a more fun and competitive Brawl combat wise that is still the Smash Bros we know and love.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
This is the first I'm hearing about all this...is there any danger to your save files (Brawl and others) on the Wii you do this on?

I have Homebrew Channel installed via DVD (Never bothered with Twilight Hack).

I see the video show using Ocarina to do this, but how/where do you put the codes in?

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not in favor of the wavedash. It really feels like it doesn't belong within the game and it's almost a struggle just to use it even with the stacking. I believe that we should at least keep the multi air dodge system instead of wavedashing simply because there's really no point to the wave dash. With no tripping off, it's possible to dashdance instead of wavedashing or spacing yourself correctly with switchups.

That I don't want Din's Fire to be ridiculous as well.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Kupo has quite the idea. This could very well round out our offense defense problem.

I'd say the only thing that could help this fix is, and I've said this before, a longer period of time between air dodges. Doesn't have to be too much longer, but no one is vulnerable for more than 2 seconds as it is.

Another thing we should look at is the ledge.. I know a lot of people don't want it to auto sweetspot/snap, but I don't think that's too much of a problem myself. Rather than try to alter the range of that, we should probably just kill off a few invincibility frames. This way they can't just hang on the ledge for a while and be safe. They'd have to get up faster because if they didn't d-smashes could hit them, or someone could jump off the stage and hit them off the ledge.

I mean edge hogging is a pain anyway, and it's only really useful against people with tether recoveries. Killing some of the invincibility frames at the end would help the offense stay on offense rather than them getting screwed over trying to go for the kill, while the man on defense would have to be smarter about his recovery game.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i personally dont like kupos idea. if hitstun is the same as in 64, it would still be ridiculous, despite brawls defensive options. shield stun is a prime example. if you shield one attack from certain characters, your shield can be broken if the opponent carries out their line of attacks right (which doesnt take that much skill). 64 is still a lot faster than brawl in terms of movement, its not that much like brawl

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was referring to hitstun, not shield stun, chibo. I suggested it since the current hitstun hack showed us that the default hitstun in brawl is not enough to string combos together. I think we should add a universal spread of hitstun that takes place in the tumble this way you have the universal hitstun on moves plus the varying amount of hitstun each move was programed to have.

I dont see how balancing out brawls def with certain aspects of 64's offense (hit stun, not shield stun) would be a problem

Top Bottom