• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
Since I've been getting this question a lot I will post my findings here concerning character tracking, animations and the problems therein: most importantly animation fall-through and snap-back.

An important thing to keep in mind is that there is a difference between location tracking and model tracking. As an animation is played, the game tracks the TransN node in order to update the character's location. How does the game know which bone/node is TransN? I believe this is stored in the action script somewhere but I'm not entirely sure. Here is an example of the two types of movement:

1. Ground movement. As ground movement occurs, the game leaves the TopN node in its current location and allows the model to be moved by the animation. At the same time, the game tracks the character location separately using the TransN node. At the end of a ground movement, the TopN node is THEN moved back to the character location so that the animation(s) can continue.
  2. Air movement, which is governed by the physics and is more free-form. The TopN node is moved every frame as animations are played to reflect the character's current location.

The expectation then, of course, is that the character location and model location (TransN) end up in the same place at the end of the animation. If they do not, then you have 'snap-back', which is caused when the model's TransN node isn't tracked properly by the action sequence. The TopN node will then be moved to the character location which doesn't match the real TransN movement, which causes a 'jump' in the model location/animation. Notice how when this happens, the player indicator (Player 1, names, etc) doesn't jump around like the model does. This is because it represents the true character location.

'Fall-though' is when the character model drops through the floor, and usually occurs along with snap-back due to the same reasons.

The cause of these two symptoms? Most likely you're using a character model that was imported (trophies or assists) that doesn't belong to that action script. More specifically, when you import an assist model into the zakogirl set. Although the model and animations will work, the node tracking does not.

Why? Because the action script references bone indexes (possibly node ids?) during an action sequence. If you're using a model where the root nodes are in different indices than the original (TransN, XRotN, YRotN), the action script will track the wrong nodes.

As many of you have found out, a simple fix is to change the animations to reference the wrong nodes. This has NOTHING to do with the animations themselves because they DO move the right nodes. By moving the wrong nodes, what happens is you're tricking the game into tracking the improperly-indexed nodes instead of the real ones.

-Pay attention because this will solve a TON of your animation problems-​

If you experience animation glitches, do the following:

1. Open the original character model and look at the bones. What you're interested in is the order and index of TransN, XRotN and YRotN.
    Notice how in this example the indices are 3, 4, and 5 respectively.
  2. Open the modified character model and check these bones again.
    In the new model the indices are 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

3. What we now have to do is make the bones at indices 3, 4 and 5 move just like the original model would. In this case, XRotN has now become our TransN, and YRotN has now become our XRotN. We won't touch any others in this example, but I hope you get the general idea.
  4. Open up the FitMotion and find the animation you want to fix. What we want to do is essentially shift the animations so they move the appropriate bone.
  5. Using the example image, follow from left-to-right renaming the entries:
    • Delete YRotN (because it's unused, you can do this differently if you like)
    • Rename XRotN to YRotN.
    • Rename TransN to XRotN.

What you've just done is tricked the game into tracking properly by animating the bones at the proper INDEX. The animation will play through like it should regardless, because moving any parent node will move the child nodes/geometry.

Because the game thinks the bone at index 3 is TransN, you treat that bone AS IF it were TransN regardless of what it is actually named.

I imagine a person could edit the action script to reflect the proper node indices, but this is a quick fix. Until we can add/remove bones this will have to do.

Happy modding!

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm trying to get the .pac for the Star Rod, but I'm looking in the Mediafire archive, and I can't find it. It's a japanese name, but I don't know what it is. Help?

NVM, I found the file.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Glad to have assisted you a bit Kryal, if only to show you how things shouldn't be done. :p
Haha, yes. I believe the solution existed but was not widely understood, especially by myself. The first thing a person would do is look at the animations, which aren't the problem. The problem lies in the model's bones and how they are used by the action script.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Alright. Does anyone know EXACTLY what causes certain models to not work on alloys? I am planning on attempting to throw together something small, but it wont work untill i can get this solved.I would need something like the wiimote safetey strap model working on an alloy

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, SO MUCH KYRAL *Joygasm*

This is exactly what I needed to (FINALLY) get some real progress on Nagagog ^^.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
So guys. I seriously have no idea what Mech Warrior Gauss' .brres file name is °3° Help me out here.

Speaking of which, while I know this hasn't happened yet, has there been ANY progress on making Trophies do...something besides standing there? I know it'll be extremely hard to animate, what without any bones and all, but we should at least try to make some sort of progress.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I got a liiiiiiittle bored, and did this:

WTF?!?!

Oh Hai!
lol, this is a good way to make custom characters... i suppose

herof time

Smash Rookie
The Sheegoth model you see is the trophy. Sorry to spill that little secrect(which for some reason was so obvious yet no one got it), BigShark. :p

So...we can't import models yet. Just swaps.:urg:
Yes, I realised that shortly after posting. However, there is a Metroid Prime Samus trophy in the game, along with Dark Samus and various other characters that are dying to be made. If only I knew how to pull this off... If someone could import the Metroid Prime Samus model over the Super Metroid model that is used in brawl, I will give you ten thousand virtual brownies. If possible, a Metroid Prime morph ball bomb would make it even more awesome...

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
An older version of ASH a while back, when you ran step two, for some reason only gave Metaknight one eye. (His left eye) Try using ASH..... 1.3 (I think) or lower and see how that goes
Ah. So that is what it was. Thanks, I have been wondering on that; But Actually, I did not tell you fully on the eye. I would like one eye in the Middle. Plus there is a way you could do it in his eye texture. Sorry for forgeting this info.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
You could probably just edit out the eye, and make a half of an eye directly in the center of the mask(which would be at the very left side of the texture). Because the game flips his texture, it should make a second half and give you a single eye.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Alright. Does anyone know EXACTLY what causes certain models to not work on alloys? I am planning on attempting to throw together something small, but it wont work untill i can get this solved.I would need something like the wiimote safetey strap model working on an alloy
Our current best theory on why models don't work on certain characters is because the original character's model:

1) Has much too many bones, and your new model has too few to match or rise above the original's.
2) Has much too FEW bones (which hasn't happened, I THINK) to support the new model.
3) Just won't work.

Not sure about it yet, but this is what test results have given us.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Holy mother of...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... CRAZY REDD HAS A SWORD *dies*

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Hey, sorry if this has been answered already, but is it currently possible to give an alloy a css icon without replacing the icon of the original character with it?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
can you attach an item onto a character model/have them hold it constantly?
I don't think it is possible with Brawl Box(unless your character has an article which he/she holds constantly, then you can just swap it with the item), but it is possible with PSA(I think...). Snoop around one of the article threads, your answer might be in one.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Guys, a Wait1 animation I made for Mario didn't work. He just turns invisible. I did everything right, looks fine in BrawlBox, but while he's doing his Wait1, he disappears until I execute another animation. How come this happened, and how do I fix it?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
...Do you have to REPLACE an existing article with the article you want to give the character, or can you simply ADD it?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
...Do you have to REPLACE an existing article with the article you want to give the character, or can you simply ADD it? After all, the number next to the article's model data is what determines what number you put into the "Generate Article" command in PSA.
....I'm actually not sure, to be honest.:laugh:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
From what I understand, you need FitMotion pacs or something for characters to use on this BrawlBox things

Where exactly are the original FitMotion pacs for characters (specifically Peach)? I want to look into her Turnips and Turnip pull move so I'm checking out this BrawlBox thing ^^"

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Look in the Welcome Wagon sticky, there should be a link to All Brawl Files by illinialex under Useful Links :p

Wiimote

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, I was bored, and since PokePark models are pretty much impossible to work with at this time, I decided to open Common5.pac and replace the bumper's model/texture with the Jyk's. The Jyk functions exactly like a bumper. However, it doesn't animate, and it doesn't have that plasma center.

Here's a pic:

Anyone know how to get the Jyk animating?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Lmao who names the stuff in the FitMotion pacs and BrawlBox?

Who on earth decided that Toad should be named kinopio? xD

Edit: Nvm, thats his japanese name xD

But seriously, could anyone give me translations as to what terms mean paticularly on Peachs specials because some of the stuff doesn't make sense. WpnPeachKassarShd? Is there something that defines simply what the stuff is?

Brizzle

Smash Cadet
So guys. I seriously have no idea what Mech Warrior Gauss' .brres file name is °3° Help me out here.

Speaking of which, while I know this hasn't happened yet, has there been ANY progress on making Trophies do...something besides standing there? I know it'll be extremely hard to animate, what without any bones and all, but we should at least try to make some sort of progress.
I think BigSharkZ said he could give trophies bones. Ask him about that.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
I have a question regarding Final Destination.

I wanted to make a Final destination that had Tabuu's stage background so it would be a bit of a change. I succeeded but there are still certain effects from the normal Final Destination background. For instance, the sparkling effects from the "river" in FD still take place and various other glittering objects appear throughout the animation accompanied by smoke effects at times(they are just effects, not objects). I am sure it is nothing to do with textures because I deleted all the textures from FD except for the ones that were put on the actual stage part. Im not sure where the effect files are located or what they are named but I am guessing that they are in the model file. Any help would be appreciated.
Pics:

Brizzle

Smash Cadet
I have a question regarding Final Destination.

I wanted to make a Final destination that had Tabuu's stage background so it would be a bit of a change. I succeeded but there are still certain effects from the normal Final Destination background. For instance, the sparkling effects from the "river" in FD still take place and various other glittering objects appear throughout the animation accompanied by smoke effects at times(they are just affects, not objects). I am sure it is nothing to do with textures because I deleted all the textures from FD except for the ones that were put on the actual stage part. Im not sure where the effect files are located or what they are named but I am guessing that they are in the model file. Any help would be appreciated.
Pics:

Yeah I believe they're under SceneData[0]. The smoke I believe is under "fogs," the lights I'm not sure about.

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
One question: does Metaknight's eye have to be palleted to show up in Brawl box? The reason is, his eyes will not should up in the game. I do not know why it is not.

Top Bottom