• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bug catchers, unite! Scizor for Smash 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So it just struck me, if scizor did make it in, how the hell would metal box work on him?
Metal Box on Scizor? Forget him being primary Bug type & secondary Steel type.

He's now primary Steel type!
But if a Scizor got a Metal Box it would make his Steel body stronger making it titanium or Platinum?. . .
Wait. . .there's a Platinum game version, Platinum Scizor confirmed!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Metal Box on Scizor? Forget him being primary Bug type & secondary Steel type.

He's now primary Steel type!
But if a Scizor got a Metal Box it would make his Steel body stronger making it titanium or Platinum?. . .
Wait. . .there's a Platinum game version, Platinum Scizor confirmed!
The same that happens to Lucario would be the same thing that happens to Scizor.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The same that happens to Lucario would be the same thing that happens to Scizor.
That's what I'm saying:shades:, the problem is Sakurai didn't implement a steel mechanic or usage of the move type at all to Lucario. I feel that Scizor would have to have a Metal usage to him in some way if not all about that.

*Edits just after you liked it*

Even though Lucario gets SOME Steel credibility attacking a Metal Box. Laaaame:ohwell:.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Scizor's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Scizor's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):
Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:
Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:
Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Sup again O_S! lol round 2!
IMO Bruiser = 1st
Resistor = 2nd
Juggler = 3rd
So for Scizor getting the idea of him in my head with barely any evidence & action, I'm gonna roll with my gut feeling on this. Besides that pokeball summon of Scizor in SSBMelee doing a crazy jump in the air & doing a OHKO attack with his quirky movement, I consider Scizor to be a Bruiser above all. I can't explain really why Scizor's more fit to be a Bruiser simply because I don't have any evidence of him in action. . .but that's how I imagine him to fight like. A Bruiser who isn't a speed demon like Falcon is lackluster to be a rush-down character but would have powerful & meaty moves to still do the same job any Bruiser would do. Next in line would off-set being a Resistor due to his 'steel' type nature despite Lucario not representing that at all. . .but Scizor would have to show it off somehow right? (Not really. . .idk) I can see Scizor having a dash move with built-in super armor to get in approaching zoners while having some resistance to attacks decreasing the flinch resistance because steel type. . .I'm pouncing on the typing too much.:ohwell:
Finally I had Juggler in smaller text but still there to show all characters can have a juggle game with the right frame traps / true combos granted he would have any. Because he would be a primary Bruiser while being a secondary Resistor he'd have a great time rushing down someone getting in, landing hits & stringing combos, almost just as well as a speed demon rush-down Bruiser like Cpt. Falcon.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sup again O_S! lol round 2!
IMO Bruiser = 1st
Resistor = 2nd
Juggler = 3rd
So for Scizor getting the idea of him in my head with barely any evidence & action, I'm gonna roll with my gut feeling on this. Besides that pokeball summon of Scizor in SSBMelee doing a crazy jump in the air & doing a OHKO attack with his quirky movement, I consider Scizor to be a Bruiser above all. I can't explain really why Scizor's more fit to be a Bruiser simply because I don't have any evidence of him in action. . .but that's how I imagine him to fight like. A Bruiser who isn't a speed demon like Falcon is lackluster to be a rush-down character but would have powerful & meaty moves to still do the same job any Bruiser would do. Next in line would off-set being a Resistor due to his 'steel' type nature despite Lucario not representing that at all. . .but Scizor would have to show it off somehow right? (Not really. . .idk) I can see Scizor having a dash move with built-in super armor to get in approaching zoners while having some resistance to attacks decreasing the flinch resistance because steel type. . .I'm pouncing on the typing too much.:ohwell:
Finally I had Juggler in smaller text but still there to show all characters can have a juggle game with the right frame traps / true combos granted he would have any. Because he would be a primary Bruiser while being a secondary Resistor he'd have a great time rushing down someone getting in, landing hits & stringing combos, almost just as well as a speed demon rush-down Bruiser like Cpt. Falcon.
That makes sense. I agree when I say that Scizor seems to be those three categories rolled up into one.

Do you think speedsters would give him the most trouble?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
That makes sense. I agree when I say that Scizor seems to be those three categories rolled up into one.

Do you think speedsters would give him the most trouble?
Hmmm. . .Imagining the fighting simulation scenario in my head I'd believe so. To make the joke of speedsters not being as fast as speed demons because of the Super Smash Bros. 1-player mode Classic, speedster was a achievement you got for completing it quickly, speed demon was when you completed it much quicker.

But yeah against speedsters I'd say he'd struggle a bit if I'm still considering him to be a primary Bruiser & secondary Resistor. The counterpicking purpose of Scizor having those primary/secondary chosen for his play-style is for rangers that zone out with projectiles & spacing. Scizor would easily get in & rush them down. The match-up for Scizor versing speedsters would he'd have to make harder reads & react much faster to their movement & their approaches. Falcon would be walking all over Scizor in that sense.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hmmm. . .Imagining the fighting simulation scenario in my head I'd believe so. To make the joke of speedsters not being as fast as speed demons because of the Super Smash Bros. 1-player mode Classic, speedster was a achievement you got for completing it quickly, speed demon was when you completed it much quicker.

But yeah against speedsters I'd say he'd struggle a bit if I'm still considering him to be a primary Bruiser & secondary Resistor. The counterpicking purpose of Scizor having those primary/secondary chosen for his play-style is for rangers that zone out with projectiles & spacing. Scizor would easily get in & rush them down. The match-up for Scizor versing speedsters would he'd have to make harder reads & react much faster to their movement & their approaches. Falcon would be walking all over Scizor in that sense.
Would Scizor have any reliable way to deal with Speedster/Ranger hybrids? For Example: :4tlink:

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Would Scizor have any reliable way to deal with Speedster/Ranger hybrids?
Mmmm, not atm that I would know. Speedster/Ranger as a hybrid sounds disgusting. . . oh yeah that's right:falcomelee:. If Scizor had to face any SpeedsteRanger I'd play with patience & wait to go in at the right time for an opening. Fighting games usually teach you about respect & punish, usually you respect your opponent's moves because you can't punish them, then you find ways to punish them from the small frame windows after dis-respecting them. That's how I'd see Scizor dealing with SpeedsteRangers.

Edit: Oh didn't notice the Toon Link edit, yeah my post still stands about patience & waiting. Scizor with pretended ability to rush through projectiles with super armor with his gap-closer & punish.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Would Scizor have any reliable way to deal with Speedster/Ranger hybrids?
Mmmm, not atm that I would know. Speedster/Ranger as a hybrid sounds disgusting. . . oh yeah that's right:falcomelee:. If Scizor had to face any SpeedsteRanger I'd play with patience & wait to go in at the right time for an opening. Fighting games usually teach you about respect & punish, usually you respect your opponent's moves because you can't punish them, then you find ways to punish them from the small frame windows after dis-respecting them. That's how I'd see Scizor dealing with SpeedsteRangers.

Edit: Oh didn't notice the Toon Link edit, yeah my post still stands about patience & waiting. Scizor with pretended ability to rush through projectiles with super armor with his gap-closer & punish.
Thanks. And if I have not stated already, I would like to be signed up for Scizor support. The way you put it, he sounds like a blast to play.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Would Scizor have any reliable way to deal with Speedster/Ranger hybrids? For Example: :4tlink:
Scizor would easily be able to resist projectiles with its steel capabilities. Scizor's problem with that hybrid is the Speedster type. He'd have to place his attacks correctly to deal significant amounts of damage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Scizor would easily be able to resist projectiles with its steel capabilities. Scizor's problem with that hybrid is the Speedster type. He'd have to place his attacks correctly to deal significant amounts of damage.
What about the Puppeteer class? Mainly those like :rosalina: & :popo:? How would he get an upper hand against these type of characters?

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
What about the Puppeteer class? Mainly those like :rosalina: & :popo:?

Gonna throw this quote out from this source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Scizor_(Pokémon)
Mega Scizor's pincers lengthen and develop serrations. The lower half of the claws turns white and gain three pointed spikes on the underside. The barbs on Mega Scizor's claws can stab through concrete, and opponents caught in them are unable to escape.
So yeah he could just Mega Evolve & trap the IC's / Rosalina & Luma in each pincer ggs Thanks for winning 2v1 Scizor~

But to tell you the truth being semi-serious about the question I'd say Scizor would need to throw out moves that are meaty & linger similar to sex kick properties, that mainly crowd control. Moves like that are a god-send for that kind of MatchUp. Not to mention his steel resistence to regular moves meant to super armor through relentless attacks like Rosalina&Luma would use.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Gonna throw this quote out from this source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Scizor_(Pokémon)

So yeah he could just Mega Evolve & trap the IC's / Rosalina & Luma in each pincer ggs Thanks for winning 2v1 Scizor~

But to tell you the truth being semi-serious about the question I'd say Scizor would need to throw out moves that are meaty & linger similar to sex kick properties, that mainly crowd control. Moves like that are a god-send for that kind of MatchUp. Not to mention his steel resistence to regular moves meant to super armor through relentless attacks like Rosalina&Luma would use.
What about Zoners like :4marth:?

Edit: Marth is a Zoner not a Ranger.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
So it would be the key moment to strike or die eh? What about the Trickster class like :4villager:?
Villager (from what I've played of him) is a character that does everything but doesn't do much of it well. This means that if Villager makes a wrong move, it means Scizor kills using those bloodthirsty 2 head claw things he has.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Villager (from what I've played of him) is a character that does everything but doesn't do much of it well. This means that if Villager makes a wrong move, it means Scizor kills using those bloodthirsty 2 head claw things he has.
What about Speedster/Bruisor/Jugglers like :4sheik:?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Attacking from a distance, and more specifically hurting hard while doing damage, would be his worst nightmare, He'd somehow have to bypass the range and then make 'em bleed.
Thanks for letting me know so much about Scizor, but unfortunately, it is getting late where I am, mainly 2:30 A.M. Later.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon I'd give you feedback & probably a LOT because I would of typed so much from all those different MatchUps you asked. Thank the Bug Catcher's Unification that SoS arrived to answer them. *whew*

Lol I didn't send an SoS but you can save the day anyway you do @ StaffofSmashing StaffofSmashing :shades:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon I'd give you feedback & probably a LOT because I would of typed so much from all those different MatchUps you asked. Thank the Bug Catcher's Unification that SoS arrived to answer them. *whew*

Lol I didn't send an SoS but you can save the day anyway you do @ StaffofSmashing StaffofSmashing :shades:
Actually, I am ready to pack it in for tonight since it is already 2:30 A.M. where I am.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768

Thanks? Speaking of which SoS are my username initials (Staff of Smashing :facepalm:)

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So alot of people are applying a certain logic behind a certain starter of a certain region, I've decided to use that reasoning to show why scizor is best for Smash 4!

- Under represented series: Yes gen lll hasn't had any Pokemon as of yet, but look at Gen ll, we get a hugely successful Gen ll and and an even bigger Gen lV remake and what do we get to rep it? a snotty little self mutilating Pikachu clone which no one liked! Let's give Gen ll a decent rep!

- Type coverage: There seems to be a concurrences of a certain... "Type trio" that may or may not be prevalent to which Pokemon that gets in or not, by that logic, scizor not only adds two types that aren't covered in Smash, he also goes towards completing another type trio! Which one? obviously the Phsycic-bug-poison trio, featureing who else but Mewtwo in the physic ring! "But Mr.Username" I hear you cry! "What about the poison type? and isn't that trio considered redundant since gen ll?" Well, son, I've thought long and hard about it, and have presented a compelling argument against that: SHUDDUP!!!

- Popularity: While the fads of starter pokemon come and go, here one day, forgotten the next, Scizors popularity remains consistently on the high, especially in the competitive scene where he has been placed in the "OU" ranks ever since the gen lV update. He's also one of the few who also got Mega-evolutions in X/Y games.

I think the biggest thing going against him is that he's been a bit of a background Pokemon. despite his rather large popularity, and constant updates, apperances and relevancy, he's always been sort of in the background. He got several anime appearances, but never become one of the main cast, one could argue that Tracey's Syther made Scizors line relevant, but Tracey left before Gen ll could fully get reveald, been written of for Brock, leaving chances of the Syther becoming a Scizor nill. One again, in the games he has sort of been left out of the spotlight, getting a mega-evolution and becoming a part of the elite 4, however his mega evolution remained hidden and he was not able to show it off due to his owner not being champion.

He did get a major roll in the Manga IIRC, being the wingman of the comics Rival, Blue throughout the series. So he has that going for him!

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I remember, waaaay back in the day, Scizor was the very first Pokemon that ever came out of a Pokeball in Melee for me. I really hope that it will be back in some form in Smash 4. But he wasn't in the Pokemon Trailer. :c

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Really wish they would have added 1 pokemon per gen, which would have been Scizors moment to shine.

I still want them to bring back the Hitmonlee who shouted psyduck

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
*Comes into thread*
*Sees Bullet Punch as a chargeable attack*

No. Just NO. Bullet Punch would be his Side B. It's a move that's all about speed. It may be really powerful in Scizor's hands, but turning a priority attack into a chargeable (thus making it the slowest attack in his move set) is just wrong.

*Leaves*

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So alot of people are applying a certain logic behind a certain starter of a certain region, I've decided to use that reasoning to show why scizor is best for Smash 4!

- Under represented series: Yes gen lll hasn't had any Pokemon as of yet, but look at Gen ll, we get a hugely successful Gen ll and and an even bigger Gen lV remake and what do we get to rep it? a snotty little self mutilating Pikachu clone which no one liked! Let's give Gen ll a decent rep!

- Type coverage: There seems to be a concurrences of a certain... "Type trio" that may or may not be prevalent to which Pokemon that gets in or not, by that logic, scizor not only adds two types that aren't covered in Smash, he also goes towards completing another type trio! Which one? obviously the Phsycic-bug-poison trio, featureing who else but Mewtwo in the physic ring! "But Mr.Username" I hear you cry! "What about the poison type? and isn't that trio considered redundant since gen ll?" Well, son, I've thought long and hard about it, and have presented a compelling argument against that: SHUDDUP!!!

- Popularity: While the fads of starter pokemon come and go, here one day, forgotten the next, Scizors popularity remains consistently on the high, especially in the competitive scene where he has been placed in the "OU" ranks ever since the gen lV update. He's also one of the few who also got Mega-evolutions in X/Y games.

I think the biggest thing going against him is that he's been a bit of a background Pokemon. despite his rather large popularity, and constant updates, apperances and relevancy, he's always been sort of in the background. He got several anime appearances, but never become one of the main cast, one could argue that Tracey's Syther made Scizors line relevant, but Tracey left before Gen ll could fully get reveald, been written of for Brock, leaving chances of the Syther becoming a Scizor nill. One again, in the games he has sort of been left out of the spotlight, getting a mega-evolution and becoming a part of the elite 4, however his mega evolution remained hidden and he was not able to show it off due to his owner not being champion.

He did get a major roll in the Manga IIRC, being the wingman of the comics Rival, Blue throughout the series. So he has that going for him!
I dig that, I love Scizor & would love to play as him, Pichu didn't do any justice for it's whole generation / region & was put in because of the "Pikachu & Pichu" short movie in 2000 right? Looking at pichu from another perspective, it was bonus popularity to the already given Pikachu. Which unfortunately got hate for being clone-worthy. The remakes of G&S being HG&SS made Gen 2 relevant again but would of been a more swell idea to have Scizor in Brawl but I'm not complaining about Brawl's pokemon roster<3.

Type coverage is a touchy subject to pokemon die-hard players but in the end it's Smash Bros., Sakurai doesn't really implement the competitive scene of Pokemon at all, making type coverage not as meaningful. I'd want to see Bug used more over Steel type considering what Sakurai did to Lucario's Fighting/Steel dual type. Lucario is definitely a good fighter but Steel was represented instead with Aura attacks which is it's own spin-off I guess but I was satisfied with the result. Bug / Steel is an awesome idea to put in Smash but I'm almost confused on how that could be done. I have ideas of Steel but that's the one thing that's already in the game through item-play i.e. Metal Box, but not through move-sets.

Scizor's popularity could skyrocket if he was a character in Smash Bros., not exactly sure how big Scizor's role to Pokemon is entirely, but he'd be a worthy fighter to put in my book. Heavyweight characters are very rare considering all the Heavyweights in Smash Bros. have floaty falling speed or their aerial mobility is floaty. Scizor could be a heavyweight similar to Link but with better recovery hence the wings on his back.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
@ Masonomace Masonomace Funny we exactly like the same characters and want the same alts :D :D

Anyways @ op. Bullet punch should be fast not a focus attack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom