• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yeah Zodiac, that has to be the best looking background and format I've seen. But I'm sure there are 3d pictures of Ridley floating around. And personally I'd replace Ashnard with Dedede.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Zodiak-Lucien said:

Direct links:
http://zodiak-lucien.sitesled.com/Mock up character select screen2.jpg
http://e.domaindlx.com/zodiak/Mock up character select screen2.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/view/34596045/
That took me 9 hours to make, I made everything from scratch, except the potraits. I am very happy the way it turned out. If you submit it to another site, just give me credit. Not much to ask for. I tried not to be biased on my character choices.
it looks cool but Blaizken should be meowth, Deathborn should be Samurai Goroh, Asharad who ever he is should be Captain Olimar, Young Link should be there but cell shaded and with the same name and Poo should be Paula

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
kaid said:
(What were you thinking! lol)
I was thinking of putting her right under fox.
xianfeng said:
it looks cool but Blaizken should be meowth, Deathborn should be Samurai Goroh, Asharad who ever he is should be Captain Olimar, Young Link should be there but cell shaded and with the same name and Poo should be Paula
hmm, I might replace Blaziken with Meowth. I think that Blaziken looks cooler, but Meowth is a more popular character so it might be a good idea to make that change. I dont know why every one likes Samurai Goroh, I know that I said I tried not to be biased but I just like Deathborn a whole lot more. I will replace Ashnard with someone tomorrow (he was a villian in a FE game).

Resting_Fox said:
Yeah Zodiac, that has to be the best looking background and format I've seen.
nomis said:
Zodiak-Lucien: ...I commend you of your valiant effort in making a character selection screen. Very good, very good.
kaid said:
I think your screen is exceptionally well thought out. All the distant clones are kept while the near clones are merged.
thanks for the complements.

Resting_Fox said:
But I'm sure there are 3d pictures of Ridley floating around.
I couldnt find any good ones, I look around a bit more.

Resting_Fox said:
I'd replace Ashnard with Dedede..
I'm going to replace Ashnard, not sure with Dedede though.

kaid said:
First, I believe it was mentioned ZS Samus is samus after certian (unspecified) events happen on the battlefield. If this is true, than they only need one character slot.
I dont think thats the case. So I kept them separate.
kaid said:
Slide the Kirby people to the left...
...If you pull Ashnard, you can swap people and put the DK crew on the top line with the rest of the Mario people, including Wario.
I think I fit them pretty appropiately. if there not on the same line, check the column.

Overall thanks for the complements, and tomorrow I'll make changes according to everyone's feedback. Night all.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Resting_Fox said:
But I'm sure there are 3d pictures of Ridley floating around.
Try Google Image searching "Ridley" or "Ridley from Metroid." I doubt you'll find a 3D picture of Ridley.

Also, people debating whether or not Samus and Zamus should take up two character slots, please take this somewhere else. This is a topic for people to post what they think the character selection screen should look like.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Resting_Fox said:
Yeah Zodiac, that has to be the best looking background and format I've seen. But I'm sure there are 3d pictures of Ridley floating around. And personally I'd replace Ashnard with Dedede.
Whoa, you read my mind there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Kerocacola said:
Yes, I have two, why add another? Which makes three. 2 + 1 = 3. Get it?
But 2-1+1=2

You have to remove Zamus. Shes not her own character addition. And for the love of all that is good and holy KILL ZEKE.

Sapphire_flame

Smash Rookie
Zodiak-Lucien said:

Direct links:
That took me 9 hours to make, I made everything from scratch, except the potraits. I am very happy the way it turned out. If you submit it to another site, just give me credit. Not much to ask for. I tried not to be biased on my character choices.
That select screen wins. You've even referred to X by his true name rather than Megaman, which is from the first series and is slightly different from the X series. I like your choice of characters in general, too. And the fact you used totally new pics for the most part. I can just see something like this in Brawl. I'd like to see more included here, though, since I read somewhere that there would be something like 40 characters.

EDIT: Oops, there are 40. Wow, 40 doesn't seem like a big number anymore

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
For people confused about Ashnard, he got the idea from this:

http://ssbbfacts2.ytmnsfw.com/

I dont really agree with the creator of that and i dont believe that he will be in the game but i can understand why you decided to put it in your roster, replace with olimar, i would like to see ww link, cause he is all but confirmed and little mac is a likely contender in my book too, 1 golden sun character is good though.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
Definitely the best so far in terms of overall look and possibility. The 71-character one, of course, still wins the award for "manages to fit in the most characters while still looking good enough that *someone* will probably be fooled."

anark-e

Smash Rookie
Soodey said:
this is just my personal opinion, but the symbols on those flags don't really look the same at all... not even a little bit... oh wait, they're both red, so I guess that's proof that Ashnard must be in the game :chuckle:

for anyone unsure, yes that's sarcasm :)

really, even if it is his castle in the SSBB trailer, that doesn't mean he has to be in the game... it's just a Fire Emblem level

EDIT: in a valient effort to stay on topic... Zodiak, your char select screen is very cool and I'd be proud to see something like it the first time I load SSBB... can't say I agree with 100% of your character choices, but it's very cool nonetheless

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord

Direct Links:
http://zodiak-lucien.sitesled.com/Mock up character select screen3.jpg
http://e.domaindlx.com/zodiak/Mock up character select screen3.jpg

Changes:
-Ridley potrait changed.
-Blaziken replaced by Meowth: Meowth is a lot more popular and deep character. More deserving and higher chance of making into the game.
-Ashnard replaced by Dedede: No one knows who Ashnard is, and I think he would have made a bad character choice.
-Metaknight and kirby switched spots: So that kirby is near Metaknight and Dedede.
-X and Wolf switched spots: So that the star fox characters are closer in a box format.

I wont post anymore changes as it will only be spam. I think these were changed were needed. I know I cant please everyone with the character choices but I tried. Again if you post this anywhere else give credit. Enjoy.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Oh god! Thats should be it!! That looks cool! A couple of the characters need to go though. (Isaac, Lyn, Hector, Deathborn, Megaman, Meowth)

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yes. I win.

I'm not saying you need to change anything, but I think the 3rd party characters will be clustered just like the characters from the same franchises were in Melee.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Zodiak-Lucien said:

Direct Links:

Changes:
-Ridley potrait changed.
-Blaziken replaced by Meowth: Meowth is a lot more popular and deep character. More deserving and higher chance of making into the game.
-Ashnard replaced by Dedede: No one knows who Ashnard is, and I think he would have made a bad character choice.
-Metaknight and kirby switched spots: So that kirby is near Metaknight and Dedede.
-X and Wolf switched spots: So that the star fox characters are closer in a box format.

I wont post anymore changes as it will only be spam. I think these were changed were needed. I know I cant please everyone with the character choices but I tried. Again if you post this anywhere else give credit. Enjoy.
Believe it or not, I am actually very satisfied with the roster. I see a couple characters I don't know (Deathborn?), but that's good. I didn't know Fox, Ness, or Captain Falcon before SSB64 nor did I know Falco, Ice Climbers, Roy, Marth, or Mr G&W before Melee. So this would be a chance to learn more. Although, I would like to see at least two more characters from my list, I can see this being a very possible (and very successful) roster for the game.

Also, the theme is also very good. I got a very "Wii/Nintendo" feel from that design. Good job.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Kereokacola said:
Oh, please. Why not just make it a Pokemon fighting game then?

I could care less if Pokemon is "popular", but we must remember, this is not a Pokemon game. 3 is a large number as far as character selection goes. Sakurai himself stated that they will "balance" the character selection. Adding Pokemon by the pound is far from that.

Pull your head out of your *** and think bigger.
WOW, you're a big *******. Unless the game has LESS Pokemon than Melee, we should just make it a Pokemon fighting game? Give me a ****ing break. The franchise that has dominated the last ten years more than any other WILL have more than 3 characters. I don't know how expecting more Pokemon isn't "thinking big," unless you just don't think much of Pokemon, in which case go hate somewhere else.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
ArichTheViking said:
WOW, you're a big *******. Unless the game has LESS Pokemon than Melee, we should just make it a Pokemon fighting game? Give me a ****ing break. The franchise that has dominated the last ten years more than any other WILL have more than 3 characters. I don't know how expecting more Pokemon isn't "thinking big," unless you just don't think much of Pokemon, in which case go hate somewhere else.
I have nothing against Pokemon, really.

I am going by what Sakurai said himself. They are going to balance out the character selection, and by adding several Pokemon is the complete opposite than balancing. Mario is popular, Link is popular, and just because the entire series of Pokemon is popular doesn't mean there should be a handful of them. I want originality and a broad range of fighters from different franchishes. I don't want a whole bunch of Pokemon taking up the character selection screen. How moronic.

kaid

Smash Master
... doesn't really qualify but...

I've seen this every time I go to IGN, and I JUST noticed.
Front page, the backround for one of the areas of the Wii channel...

Who's that on snake's shoulder? the one with the BRIGHT BLUE...something?

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
kaid said:
... doesn't really qualify but...

I've seen this every time I go to IGN, and I JUST noticed.
Front page, the backround for one of the areas of the Wii channel...

Who's that on snake's shoulder? the one with the BRIGHT BLUE...something?
I think its deoxys, a pokemon.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
Zodiak-Lucien said:
chances are yea, I was seeing the orange background as part of the entity's face.
Ah! I was doing the same thing. But that still doesn't help me decipher who it is though. I suppose its Zamus...

kaid

Smash Master
...not sure about Zamus... her suit is that color, sure, but it's ALL that color, not just couple lines.

Then there's the grey "chestplate" by Snake's arm...

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
I think IGN just threw whatever that is in just to screw with us. I wish there was a better picture of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah and on topic; I am really likeing some of these character select screens (even though some of the portraits don't look good next to others).

Conker1

Smash Ace
Zodiak-Lucien said:

That is a near perfect line up! All I would do is replace Megaman with Bomberman and Hector with Little Mac and that would be it. It is also very well done and probably the best fake selection screen so far.(I'd also switch Poo out for Jeff, but both of them are cool. And I guess Goroh and Deathborn are interchangable. I'd try to fit Olimar in there too.)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Zodiak-Lucien said:

Direct links:
It's nice to see a mock-up character select screen that dosen't suck... though I must ask why Blakiken's on there? Enough Pokemon I say.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
xianfeng said:
WOW! ZODIAC!! THAT WAS EXCELLENTLY GOOD!! LOL! really! awesome work dut!
The background its marvellous! jajaja, see, its a fresh color not black like melee, so the color of your background gives a technologic look!, just i prefered Ike for Ashnard, and add Daisy but with her striker's suit jijij o_O

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
Ugh- I made this point to people before and I'll do it again: It doesn't matter what YOU think will happen, it matters what Sakurai thinks is good. When he was talking about balance he did not mean about character selection for all we know- more like balancing the characters so no one is better than the other. Like they've tried to do in all fighting games.

Back on topic: I like these character selection screens, though IMO the selections aren't what I would put in. I'm making my own- but I know it'll take me a few weeks to finish it. I'm using some of the comments on here to help me come up with character ideas, as well as the other threads.

I love the background on that one though- very realistic for Brawl. The only criticism I have is that they aren't all 3D, which they will be later. But I can understand, its hard to find some characters in 3D.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Zodiak-Lucien said:

Direct Links:

Changes:
-Ridley potrait changed.

Awesome. This is the best design I've seen yet. Good character choices too.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
hey people... one question just for know your opinion. What do u think about the black color of the selection screen in SSBM??? do u like it?? cuz i like. but. i wanted a charismatic color like blue. or yellow or red. and the last question what color would u like in the selection screen for SSBB???

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I liked Black and all. Maybe a more background image similar to the one on the "favorite" selection screen in this topic.

To Lord Deathborne: No need to be a jerk about it. The others ones don't suck, whether or not they're great in your opinion doesn't mean you have to put down people's hard work.(those that actually worked hard on it, like myself)

Top Bottom