• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Zodiak-Lucien, great character selection! Well, it's better than most other people's at any rate. Though I would have a Mother 3 character in place of Poo (I'm fairly sure Sakurai said something about Mother 3 characters, plus I really hate Poo as he gets more recognition from more deserving characters like Jeff or Pokey), Samurai Goroh instead of Deathborn, combine Zero Suit Samus with Samus (seeing as Sakurai said Zamus isn't actually a fully-fledged character), put in another Zelda character and replace Isaac with Mach Rider.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I like the character selection on this one better than Zodiak-Lucien's, although the layout isn't as nice.

Nice selection screen kirby fox.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
very nice kirby fox. although i don't agree with a few characters (meowth and munchlax should be replaced by Blaziken and Heracross) i have to say congragulations on putting Leon on your selection screen. i ask you to not replace him with bomberman. replace stafy or pacman with bomberman. those guys are not as cool or popular as Leon.

finally someone is smart enough to put Leon on their selection screen!

kaid

Smash Master
Marshigio said:
I like the character selection on this one better than Zodiak-Lucien's, although the layout isn't as nice.

Nice selection screen kirby fox.
...well of course! who wouldn't chose 55 characters (with 6 3rd party characters) over 40 characters (only 3 of whom are 3rd party)

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
haha - yea I didn't realize how many characters were on it until I was done

the only reason I said Leon should be replaced is because of his moveset. since they said no guns his moveset wouldn't be very good now...

stafy and pacman are more likely characters since stafy is partly owned by Nintendo and their tie to Namco is pretty strong

I chose Meowth and Munchlax due to popularity, since most of the pokemon are a popularity contest...I had scizor in until I realized that Meowth was more likely...Munchlax seems to be the next Pichu, so I put it over others...pokemon were the hardest to choose but I don't see Blaziken or Heracross thanks to popularity (Japan popularity is more likely so I took a guess)

but thank you for your other comments

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Here is mine
http://www.geocites.com/cdpaul89/selections.html

i used zodiak's style because it fit wii so well, but used a diffrent background. sorry dude, but i wanted it on my select screen. also, i added all their symbols so people could kind of see what symbols could be used with new characters.

as you can see, i did this on paint. i never intended it to be perfect, but i wanted to get my ideas for characters out there.

what do you guys think?

EDIT:the link is broken, if you want to see my real one, go to page 7 or 8 for links to it.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I have a great concept idea for those who like making these selection screens.

Have you ever seen the Brady Bunch? I think the bottom tier characters should be looking up at the higher-tier characters, and vice-versa. It'd be a great way to bring back the Brady spirit, and it'd be interesting to see how Nintendo views how good their characters are.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
the link still doesn't work - try using something else like imageshack (the one I used)

and the brady bunch idea: no...

if you didn't know - tiers were created by smashboards...they don't actually exist...and i hate how people use them here...Nintendo wouldn't create that because then they'd be saying "OK these characters on the bottom are crappy ones, so everyone should choose the ones on top!" and the new gamers...would choose the ones on top instead of their favs...

and if we're goin for balance, this is against the balance thing completely...

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
So what? Nintendo could make them up for once, and who knows, maybe Sakurai likes the Brady Bunch.

I was just kidding and I thought that was pretty obvious but you took that too seriously.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not bad at all, colbusman. It's nice to see someone not just putting "Megaman" by X's picture and either putting X or Megaman X. The design is nice, too. It'd load faster if it were a JPEG, mind you. But anyway, why all the random symbols?(unless you wanted to show them off for fun, of course)

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
colbusman said:
BAH! Take away roy, take away Blaziken and replace him with Deoxys, take away Herracross and replace him with Munchlax. Take away Prince of Persia and replace him with Wolf. Take away Leon and replace him with Geno. Take away Roy and replace him with Vaati or bomberman lol then its good!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
you don't know jack squat. why should i take away great characters for mediocre characters. i am keeping it the way it should be.

also, i was talking to my friend about this and i realized that all these characters have a unique moveset to them. there is no way any can be clones, if you really thought about it.

plus the balance between the number of characters is pretty good.

FYI-i put the symbols on there for fun cause i hand made them on paint, and the question marks mean those are secret characters.

kaid

Smash Master
Colbusman, your list shows SEVEN 3rd party characters, as well as 2 "generic" pokemon. Since Sakura said a maximum of 3 third parties, including Snake, your list is highly unrealistic.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
no offense there colbusman but how come those pics look a lot like mine?

oh that's right...cuz they are...i modded the mario pic...the arm didnt look like that before...and the crappy Isaac one...

woot for taking credit on something you didnt do!

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
its a portrait........the main point of a mock up character list is to better show which characters you would like for brawl. Thats why I dont care if people use my design. You shouldnt get upset if he copied your portrait.

colbusman said:
I found it humorous that you removed the watermark on the top left and bottom right. You missed two though. The one in the 4th player box and the one right below the back button.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Mom

Smash Apprentice
colbusman said:
you don't know jack squat. why should i take away great characters for mediocre characters. i am keeping it the way it should be.

also, i was talking to my friend about this and i realized that all these characters have a unique moveset to them. there is no way any can be clones, if you really thought about it.

plus the balance between the number of characters is pretty good.

FYI-i put the symbols on there for fun cause i hand made them on paint, and the question marks mean those are secret characters.
WHAT! mediocore my a$$ u actually put prince of perisa in there! i laughed so hard when i saw that... thats just dumb lol u say i dont know anything. and why do u have Roy? hes a dumb clone, and LEON! jesus ur insane! bomberman is better then him, u got to admit. and u think GENO is mediocore, omg oh and blaziken? hes cool and all but he just screams "captain falcon wannabe" Deoxys is better
oh yeah i forgot Heracross :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
actually when i said mediocre, i meant bomberman, vaati, and munchlax. who in the heck would want to play as munchlax?

out of your ideas, i like wolf, geno, and deoxys. put i perfer characters like leon and the prince over others because they are freakin awesome and could add gameplay to the game. i choose heracross because we have no heavy pokemon and he could represent the 2nd generation and blaziken because no starters have been made and he fits the 3rd generation. also, he wouldn't be a clone of falcon. and i really liked roy. more than marth even. he felt more of a median character which fits my style. but a diffrent moveset wouldn't hurt. the prince i chose cause he has variety. he would cool to play as against mario or link. plus ubisoft seems to be in good terms with nintendo. leon is my #1 character to be in the game, 3rd party or not. again, he adds variety and RE4 helped boost sales of the cube. it was even destined to be cube exclusive. and since snake is in it (thank you Hideo Kojima) leon has a great chance of being in. at least you didn't bash Rayman. he is definetely 3rd on my 3rd party list.

sorry, but you will NEVER see me take away leon and the prince.

also, kaid said i had 8 3rd party characters. although sakurai said 1-2 3rd party, he said he might, meaning he can put more than 2 or none at all.

i made this selection screen to show what characters would be cool in the game. also, i only had 7. issac is part of camelot which is OWNED by nintendo. he is pure nintendo. but if i had to pick only 1 or 2 3rd party, definetely Leon and the Prince. both of them are bad a** and provide lots of variety to the game.

and this is for you kirby/fox-
If it hadn't of been for you and zodiak, i never would of gotten the selection done. thank you for letting me use your pics dude. it worked out very well.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
no prob dude- thanks for giving credit.

I'm working on another screen, and this one will be insanely huge...it'll be the wishful thinking of the smash series...my only rules: has to have appeared on a Nintendo console and made at least a good appearance (that means Cloud ain't in it, Sora might be) and can't be an anime character (no DBZ or Naruto or xmen...i had someone say xmen...blech)

and i'm not puttin in like...frog suit mario either...dont bet on too many pokemon (scizor and blaziken might be the only ones i add) or way obscure characters (see uniracers post) but i'd like some suggestions if anyone has them...character wise at least...all the ones in my last one are in...

and Munchlax- well think of Jiggly...who wants to play as jiggly? pichu? lil kids mainly...its part of the cartoon series now i believe, so I wouldnt doubt it...Heracross isn't popular and Munchlax could be the heavy pokemon we're lookin for...tho it'd be heavy middle more likely...

so suggestions anyone? i've taken a lot of the suggestions on the boards but i was wondering if anyone had any extremely good ones I haven't heard of yet...

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
ok, i think i finally finished it. instead of having the bland background of one color, i used zodiak's wii style along with some of the background from the ssbm screen, since we are using cube controllers. thank you kirby/fox and zodiack again for letting me use your pics and backgrounds. i never would of finished it without you guys.

Rash

Smash Ace
Wow. I would just like to congratulate Zodiak making the best mock-up character selection screen design for SSBB that I've ever seen. Kudos to the rest of you who put forth the effort to make your own unique screens as well, none of which are bad at all.

I like your setup, Conker. Adding in the extra six characters really made the selection screen look more like Melee's, which I'm quite used to by now. Still, looking at that screen, you don't realize how many characters it is until you count them. 46 freaking characters! I actually wish it was like that. :chuckle:

Oh, and for xzakcorex, one thing I did notice is unnecessary abbreviations. Phoenix Wright should just be "Phoenix" or "Wright." The same thing applies to Captain Olimar. That's about it.

Great stuff all around. I like the rosters you guys are coming up with.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
I think that's that new character from Zelda TP if I'm not mistaken in Kaid's...

and conker1 - i like how you added some but you cut off their face in some...like Little Mac...and C. Olimar...and bomberman...and jeff...just sayin it'd look cleaner cut if the faces weren't cut off- otherwise it's a nice selection...minus Kooper...

the others are nice selections too for the most part...sorry- there are some characters I just don't see that would have better uses (Tom Nook for example)

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
im almost possitive there wont be 50 characters...
Plus he said at most he will only add 2-3 non nintendo characters...

This is in regards to the first post.

Top Bottom