• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character skill vs Player Skill: A Graphical Relationship

Hive

Smash Lord
it doesn't matter! are you gonna try to say that wario wasn't tourney viable until a few weeks ago when fiction won a large scale tourney with him?
peach is viable. yea, 13th of 303 isn't first. but it still shows she has the CAPACITY to get first, she was like two wins away with an extremely large player pool! we already showed that she can get that far, do you really think that she is unable to move two wins from that position? put her in the same spot again and place her against two of the most winnable characters-> mk and snake. she has a 60-40 and 50-50 matchups with them. sure she'll probably lose the tourney, but is it really such a stretch to think that she could win those two matchups? no.
its not like edreeses played scrubs or something to get to that spot. anyone top 50 in that tourney is good. given enough serious tourneys peach is bound to win eventually.

@yuna- there were many good players there! not to be proud or anything, but anytime there is such a largescale tourney in cali there will be many good players there. its not like he was beating on noobs all the way up to 13th place.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just as some info:

Axis player rankings down to 25th out of, like 300ish.

1st place:
DieSuperFly (DSF)

2nd place:
Futile

3rd place:
Plank

4th place:
SK92

5: Aero
5: TC1
7: Three Inch
7: Shadow Rob
9: Sean
9: Nanerz
9: Lucien
9: Germ
13: Creepy Fingers
13: Meep
13: Ajax
13: Edrees <3
17: Skazryk
17: Fly Amanita
17: Gamble
17: JTB
17: Jem
17: Havok
17: King
17: Blade Wise
25: Taunt
25: Sky
25: ROFL
25: MassiveGuns
25: Chip
25: Leo For The Win
25: MikeHAZE
25: Zelgadis

Just as an FYI.

Also, I personally have no idea who any of these people are.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
] 13th of 303 isn't first. but it still shows she has the CAPACITY to get first
Ok, so you have successfully established the point that is being made. The capacity to get first is one thing (and Peach's isn't even good), but actually getting it is another thing. I want more Peach players to get 1st, not "almost 1st."

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
it doesn't matter! are you gonna try to say that wario wasn't tourney viable until a few weeks ago when fiction won a large scale tourney with him?
No, because Wario consistently placed high.

Peach does not consistently place high. You can pull out a handful of tournaments where Peach places high. Fine, what about the many where she doesn't?

Also, and I will say this again only one:
Number of entrants =/= All that matters

Concentration of skill is all that matters. How many national level players are present? And how many of those (and what characters did they wield) did the Peach players beat?

Also, my entire argument from the start has been that Peach isn't a viable character to win major (or even quasi-major or minor) tournaments with. She can place highish a few times here and there, sure. But that speaks more to the skill of those wielding her vs. the skill of those facing her than her inherent capabilities and potential.

peach is viable. yea, 13th of 303 isn't first.
How many of those 303 people were good, national-level playes?

but it still shows she has the CAPACITY to get first
No it doesn't. All it does is show us that she has the capacity to get 13th out of 303 (she did not beat all of the people below her, she beat some of them).

she was like two wins away with an extremely large player pool!
Are you just delusional or do you truly believe 13th is "2 wins away" from anything significant? 13th is two wins away from shared 9th or something.

we already showed that she can get that far, do you really think that she is unable to move two wins from that position?
To get 9th? No, she probably can.

its not like edreeses played scrubs or something to get to that spot. anyone top 50 in that tourney is good.
Were you there? Did you see this first hand? Did you see the matches where Edrees played against said good people? Also, were said good people actually familiar with the Peach match-up or were they taken by surprise due to their unfamiliarity (at which point their matches stop mattering)?

given enough serious tourneys peach is bound to win eventually.
1 year. 0 wins. 0 Top 5 placements. You do the math.

<snip>

Just as an FYI.

Also, I personally have no idea who any of these people are.
Save for a select few, the same goes for me. Who the hell are the people below Edrees, the ones he beat to get 13th and why should we care? For all we know (and judging from this), it could've been a tournament with 280 n00bs with maybe 23 or so actually good people and Edrees happened to land in the Top 13 of that.

Hive

Smash Lord
@successor -you still don't get it. if a character has a reasonable capacity to get first then how can you still say that they aren't viable. its already been shown peach has that capacity. (reasonably)

@yuna- peach DOES place consistently high though! all the time! sky here in norcal for example consistently places at least top 10. and considering the amount of peaches out there and how many of them are tourney viable...
and there were PLENTY of good players at axis. Almost all major cali players. And the more someone went in the tourney the higher the concentration they had to face.
wario consistently places high, however according to your criteria he wasn't especially tourney viable until only recently.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
@successor -you still don't get it. if a character has a reasonable capacity to get first then how can you still say that they aren't viable. its already been shown peach has that capacity. (reasonably)

@yuna- peach DOES place consistently high though! all the time! sky here in norcal for example consistently places at least top 10. and considering the amount of peaches out there and how many of them are tourney viable...
Local minor tournaments are inconsequential! And even Sky himself is considering switching from Peach because he has realized she has limited potential!

And "many [Peaches] are tourney viable"? Players aren't tourney viable, characters are.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
You're telling me that I don't get it while you continuously seem to slightly twist stuff. I said that Peach's viability to get first is not good.

Let's put it this way, then: you say a character that has a reasonable capacity to get first is viable? Peach does not have a reasonable capacity to get first, and is therefore nonviable. If she did have a reasonable capacity, reasonable not having a line drawn out but simply being "decent", then she would be winning. She is not winning on high levels.

Hive

Smash Lord
she does have a reasonable capacity to get first though. i wish you could see some of the peaches down here successor :( i think it would change your mind.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
A character that has a reasonable capacity to get first is one who consistently places in high levels of play. Nobody is asking for Peach to be in the top 8 in every single tournament, but she's scarcely ranking very well on her own against other very good players. I'm not saying that she cannot win, but the chances are so bleak that it's not really acceptable to call it reasonable.

I have no doubt that there are good Peach players. However, if they're not good/popular enough to consistently place well and even win sometimes, then why should that character be seen as viable? A viable character is one who has consistently shown real potential to hang with the toughest to achieve victory. Peach isn't usually considered to be one of these characters. She's not a piss poor character by any means, but she also isn't on the same level as A-tier and above.

Hive

Smash Lord
she does rank well though... i'd say even top 8 on average in tourneys. again, look at darkpchs, praxis, edreeses, sky's, and nikoks records (excel zero too on the peach tourney page though i haven't really heard of him personally...) :/ she places consistently high in average to larger tourneys considering how little people play her and how high her learning curve is though. there are like 20 tourneys in her tourney specific where she does well and there are even more not recorded.

@yuna- i've already said to look at the records. what are you even basing your thoughts that's she's bad on? even in the peach tourney specific she has some good results, and like i said before sky has placed consistently well in tourneys here? are you basing your thoughts on your own tourney exp or something else? how much do you play brawl competitively anyways?

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
edress
is this graph saying that ametuer snakes beat perfectly played low teirs? and can you please give some insight into how peach beats snake. a picture is nice and all but this seems baseless. what about peach gives her the edge against all but metaknight?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
she does rank well though... i'd say even top 8 on average in tourneys.
My tuchas.

again, look at darkpchs, edreeses, sky's, and nikoks records :/ she places consistently high in average to larger tourneys considering how little people play her and how high her learning curve is though.
Tournaments of large concentration of skill. Not biweeklies and "300-man tournaments with 280+ nonames!".

@yuna- i've already said to look at the records. what are you even basing your thoughts that's she's bad on?
Please quote me where I said she was bad. You're delusional.

even in the peach tourney specific she has some good results, and like i said before sky has placed consistently well in tourneys here? are you basing your thoughts on your own tourney exp or something else? how much do you play brawl competitively anyways?
I'm basing my "thoughts" on logical and objective analysis of tournament results.

Hive

Smash Lord
name the tourneys you are questioning the results in, almost all of the norcal and socal biweeklies tourneys do have high concentrations of good players. :/
and what tourney results are you basing your "objective analysis" off of? please explain!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
name the tourneys you are questioning the results in, almost all of the norcal and socal biweeklies tourneys do have high concentrations of good players. :/
and what tourney results are you basing your "objective analysis" off of? please explain!
Oh, the ones presented to us in this very thread, for example?

Hive

Smash Lord
tourney results! i'm surprised there are so many good peach players compared to how many people play peach.
and yuna, stop dodging the question, where are you getting your overall thoughts of peach from? which tourneys are you basing the idea that she can't win off of??

Dark.Pch
9th out of 62 (Montage Presents: The Peak, Already? Princeton, New Jersey) 5/17/08
13th out of 30 (NYC weeklies) 6/??/08
13th out of 76 (Mass Madness 10, Massachusetts) 7/12/08
7th out of 44 (NYC Weeklies) 7/18/08
9th out of 60 (NYC weeklies) 7-25-08
9th out of 65 (Mass Madness 12) 10/4/08
3rd out of 29 (Newbs for brawl 4, Conneticuit) 10/25/08
1st out of 19 (Smash Sundays 11-9 Hamden, Ct (Connecticut)) 11/09/08
25th out of 97 (C3 ECRC- Ashburn, Virginia) 11/22/08
7th out of 18 (Bums Bi-weeklies, New York) 11/28/08

EdreesesPieces
9th out of 59 (Aznforce IV Tournament) 4/19/08
33th out of 192 (UCLA VI: A NEW HOPE) 5/18/08
2nd out of 23 (Oscular's 562 tounrey) 5/31/08
13th out of 44 (North Stockton Brawl Tourney) 6/07/08
7th out of 58 (Ownapalooza) 6/8/08
4th out of 65 (Race's -562-Brawl Garage Tourney III: 3rd Strike) 7/12/08
3rd out of 23 (Shuffle & Cut Brawl/Melee Weeklies) 8/2/08
5th out of 56 (Aznforce5, Southern California) 8/3/08
9th out of 84 (Oxnard Brawl/Melee tournament, Southern Cal) 8/16/08
9th out of 81 (Race's 4th garage tournament : Dream bout) ??/??/??
13 out of 303 (Axis gaming tournament Emeryville, CA) ??/??/??
2nd out of 23 (Chula Vista XI San Diego, CA) 9/7/08
4th out of 47 (Palmdale biweeklies 1 Palmdale, CA) 9/20/08
5th out of 82 (Quiznos presents brawl 3 Cerritos, CA) 9/28/08
7th out of 112 (HOBO 11 Houston, TX) 10/4/08
7th out of 104 (Race Brawl Garage Tourney V : Smashtoberfest. Yorba Linda, CA) 10/18/08
4th of 84 (In For The Win! 818 Brawl Tournament ~ Burbank, CA) 11/07/08
2nd of 16 (San Diego Brawl Tri-Weekly IV San Diego, CA) 11/08/08
17th of 69 (UCLA VII: AVALANCHE, Los Angeles, CA) 11/09/08
25th out of 85 (Quiznos Presents BRAWL V) 11/20/08
17th out of 87 (Race's Brawl Garage Tournament VI: Mark of the Millenium) 12/13/08
2nd out of 21 (Mind Games Son I Tustin, CA) 12/17/08
9th out of 179 (WC Smash League, San Fran, CA.) 12/20-21/08
9th of 113 (Quiznos Presents BRAWL VI) 12/28/08

Excel_Zero
17th out of 122 (FAST 1) 7/20/08
2nd out of 65 (Brawling for EVO - West) 4/19/08
4th out of 25 (Brawling for EVO - East) 5/24/08
3rd out of 33 (Grand Brawl Tournament 1) 5/31/08
5th out of 33 (Brawling for EVO - South) 6/14/08
3rd out of 78 (Arcadia) 6/28/08
1st out of 33 (Brawling for EVO - North) 7/12/08
1st out of 33 (Grand Brawl Tournament 2) 7/26/08
1st out of 25 (Pro Smashing Monthly 1) 8/16/08
1st out of 64 (Gaming Xplosion Fest) 8/24/08
2nd out of 33 (The Return Tournament) 9/13/08
1st out of 20 (Gaming Zone Tournament 1) 9/20/08
1st out of 26 (Gaming Zone Tournament 3) 11/22/08
1st out of 25 (Ultimate Stage Tournament) 11/29/08
1st out of 13 (La Liga First Tournament) 12/06/08
1st out of 25(Grand Gaming Tournament PUCPR) 12/20/08
1st out of 20 (Gaming Zone Tournament 4) 01/10/09
1st out of 28 (Pro fund Tournament) 01/24/09

Niko_K
3rd out of 16 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #1(Niko's Basement)) 3/9/08
4th out of 21 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #2 (Niko's Basement)) 3/29/08
4th out of 12 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #4 (Niko's Basement)) 5/3/08
13th out of 41 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #5 (Grantham Lions Club)) 5/31/08
7th out of 16 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #6 (Niko's Basement)) 6/22/08
2nd out of 68 (Stratford Brawl) Jun/16/08
2nd out of 17 (Niko's! Niagara Tri-Weeklies! #7) Jul/20/08 (*Nikos Note: Knocked out 4 people from higher PR ranking)
9th out of 78 (Only in Niagara 2) 11/09/08
13th out of 16 (Twilight of Smash 5, Southminister Church, Brackets) ??/??/08
9th out of 71 (Twilight of Smash 5, Southminister Church, Pools) ??/??/08
9th out of 62 (Only in Niagara 4) 12/21/08
1st out of 18 (Ottawa Bi Weekly #16) 1/16/09

Praxis
9th out of 24 (EWU Brawl Monthlies V) 8/9/08.
9th out of 34 (GameClucks Monthly October) 10/4/08
13th out of 43 (GameClucks National) 10/6, 10/7/08
13th out of 23 (EWU VI: No Trippin at Cheney Delights) 10/11/08
9th out of 29 (GameClucks Monthly November) 11/1/08
5th out of 12 (IESmash Brawla Walla) 11/15/08
2nd out of 250 (Penny Arcade Expo tourney) ??/??/??
9th out of 49 (IESmash Regional) 1/03/09
2nd out of 18 (EWU VII) 1/10/11
3rd out of 20 (The Miggs in Oregon) 1/24/09

SKY'
5th out of 38 (QUIZNOS PRESENTS BRAWL II) ??/??/??
33rd out of 112 (Brawl In Oakland) 8-2/3-08
25th out of 87 (Races Tourney: The Dream Bout!) 8-27-08
25th out of 308 (Axis Gaming) 8-30-08
9th of 46 (CGC @ SFSU) 10/26/08
5th out of 76 (CGC @ SFSU V) ??/??/??

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Save for a select few, the same goes for me. Who the hell are the people below Edrees, the ones he beat to get 13th and why should we care? For all we know (and judging from this), it could've been a tournament with 280 n00bs with maybe 23 or so actually good people and Edrees happened to land in the Top 13 of that.
Well, we don't know that. Just because we don't know who they are doesn't make them necessarily bad, hell I can't even tell one or two people above Edreeses. :p

And even Sky himself is considering switching from Peach because he has realized she has limited potential!
He actually came crawling back to the Peach boards. :laugh:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
tourney results! i'm surprised there are so many good peach players compared to how many people play peach.
and yuna, stop dodging the question, where are you getting your overall thoughts of peach from? which tourneys are you basing the idea that she can't win off of??

<Random stuff>
The vast majority of those minor tournament results are not wins. The majority of them aren't even Top 8! And that's for mostly minor tournaments. Also, stop dodging the question. What players of notable skill did Edrees beat at that tournament where he got Top 13 (shared 16th) out of 303 players?

The vast majority of those tournaments are minor and/or local tournaments, thus, they do not count in a discussion of whether or not Peach is capable of winning major tournaments. Try again.

Well, we don't know that. Just because we don't know who they are doesn't make them necessarily bad, hell I can't even tell one or two people above Edreeses. :p
If there are many people of notable skill below Edrees besides Zelgadis and that other guy, people are free to point them out.

He actually came crawling back to the Peach boards. :laugh:
He at least faltered in his undying belief in Peach's prowess.

Hive

Smash Lord
If there are many people of notable skill below Edrees besides Zelgadis and that other guy, people are free to point them out.
edreese, darkpeach, sky, nikok, and praxis are ALL well known peaches in their areas and have notable skill. <.<
and even if you don't agree with a lot of the good tourneys there is no way you can disagree with all of them! just bc you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't good, either ^^
how can you keep saying that these are only "minor" tourneys too when just a few posts ago you were trying to say that the size doesn't matter lol the concentrations of many of the ny, socal, nevada, texas norcal tourneys is good.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
edreese, darkpeach, sky, nikok, and praxis are ALL well known peaches in their areas. <.<
and even if you don't agree with a lot of the good tourneys there is no way you can disagree with all of them! just bc you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't good, either ^^
What the hell does this have to do with anything anyone has argued in this thread?

No one challenged the fact that these are famous Peach players.

how can you keep saying that these are only "minor" tourneys too when just a few posts ago you were trying to say that the size doesn't matter lol the concentrations of many of the ny, socal, nevada, texas norcal tourneys is good.
Because minor tournaments with very few entrants, especially if they are local, are often small also in terms of concentration of skill.

Also "Good players" is not enough when discussing character potential at the global/national level! Unless Socal, Nevada and Texas Norcal tournaments are just overflowing with players on par with M2K, Azen, Ninjalink and the likes, nobody cares if Edrees beats the vast majority of his local players.

They're not good enough to matter!

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Ahh... what data did you use to make that graph? Or is that just a, sort of, "in my opinion, this is what it looks like" thing?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
The key point here is that none of what you just quoted was in the OP, making the OP total baloney.
Allow me...

Please be noted that I spent maybe, 5 minutes on the chart, and it's not totally accurate, so don't get butthurt if I give some tiers too much credit or not enough, its just a really, really rough estimate for now. But I want to work on exploring this kind of thing more later, just wanted to see what people think of the idea!
You probably warranted hours of your time splitting hairs over this causing an unnecessary fuss for something that took him next to nothing to create.

You're posts are really intelligent no doubt, but I don't care if it wasn't stated as explicitly as you'd hoped for in the OP - it was there. And regardless of that, anyone with half a brain cell would have read the first few posts and understood Edrees' point.

How on earth is he supposed to respond to all this when such Peach malarkey was never supposed to happen in the first place?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You probably warranted hours of your time splitting hairs over this causing an unnecessary fuss for something that took him next to nothing to create.
I'm sorry, maybe you misunderstood the one jillion times I said:
While the OP admits to not be entirely accurate, it makes itself look like it's factual when in fact it is not. The OP fails at even hinting at the graph being total baloney pulled out of Edrees' behind (a fact he admitted to only after the OP had been up for a day or so).

If you read the OP as a standalone post, you will think that the OP is presenting itself as a post consisting of facts, inaccurate or not, and not merely opinions and a graphical representation of a concept.

Nowhere does the OP even imply that it's merely a concept.

You're posts are really intelligent no doubt, but I don't care if it wasn't stated as explicitly as you'd hoped for in the OP - it was there. And regardless of that, anyone with half a brain cell would have read the first few posts and understood Edrees' point.
Irrelevant. The OP is misleading. End of story.

How on earth is he supposed to respond to all this when such Peach malarkey was never supposed to happen in the first place?
Why did he even use Peach as an example? Why did he put her above Snake at the highest levels? Why did he not once even imply that it was all total BS, merely a representation of a concept instead of making it sound at least partially factual, if slightly if not very inaccurate.

The OP sounds like Edrees stating a bunch of things he consider facts, though he admits to exaggerating.

"This is not totally accurate/This is just a rough estimate" =/= "This is just BS in order to illustrate a concept"

Edrees' "facts" in the OP aren't just accurate (and he makes it sound like they're just slightly off and not total BS), they're total baloney.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I haven't really cared about Lucario much to keep tabs on him for the past few months. I concede this point. I'm assuming all of those major wins came out of Azen, so it's just Azen doing really well with Lucario with no other Lucario coming even close to replicating his success (still)?
Lee has won major tournaments as Lucario, not sure about Bloodhawk or Milln.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yuna, don't contradict yourself.

If we are talking about characters who can win major tournaments, we need to see which characters have WON major tournaments. You cannot discredit Azen's achievements with Lucario for being Azen because he has one of the only solid records of wins in major tournaments.

No more "Azen is special" BS. He wins major tournaments. He did it with a character. It doesn't matter if anyone can replicate him or not. The same goes for the records of M2K, NinjaLink, Ally, and anyone else who has won major tournaments.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord

If we are talking about characters who can win major tournaments, we need to see which characters have WON major tournaments. You cannot discredit Azen's achievements with Lucario for being Azen because he has one of the only solid records of wins in major tournaments.

No more "Azen is special" BS. He wins major tournaments. He did it with a character. It doesn't matter if anyone can replicate him or not. The same goes for the records of M2K, NinjaLink, Ally, and anyone else who has won major tournaments.
Oh god.. Here we go .. Now hes going to start arguing about Lucario.
Yuna came into a thread about an anti Bowser Challenge to quote my post after saying Toon Link, Meta Knight, and Peach to say Peach doesn't have combos she has strings..

Ill show him some god **** combos....

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
You've completely confused me now :?

While the OP admits to not be entirely accurate, it makes itself look like it's factual when in fact it is not.
If something is admitted to not being totally accurate how on earth can it be presented as factual? If something is admitted to not be totally accurate, why would you even consider interpreting it as factual?

The OP fails at even hinting at the graph being total baloney pulled out of Edrees' behind (a fact he admitted to only after the OP had been up for a day or so).
I'll requote Edrees again here:

I spent maybe, 5 minutes on the chart
it's not totally accurate
its just a really, really rough estimate for now
I think that speaks for itself.

Nowhere does the OP even imply that it's merely a concept.
I'll requote Edrees here...again:

I want to explore the relationship on character skill vs player skill - how much player skill does someone need to overcome tiers, for example? This kind of thing is very interesting to me and I'm beginning to think about it. I've even made a chart to illustrate my opinion.
I want to work on exploring this kind of thing more later, just wanted to see what people think of the idea!
I think this all speaks for itself yet again.

Why did he even use Peach as an example? Why did he put her above Snake at the highest levels? Why did he not once even imply that it was all total BS, merely a representation of a concept instead of making it sound at least partially factual, if slightly if not very inaccurate.
Havn't we clarified that this has nothing to do with Peach. Here are the same Edrees quotes he writes below:

I spent maybe, 5 minutes on the chart
it's not totally accurate
its just a really, really rough estimate for now
Anyone with even an ounce of common sense will realise he's insinuating this is all BS right now regarding numbers, character specifics, PEACH. He just posted this to "explore the idea" regarding this kind of tier representation as he obviously stated in the OP.

Frankly, you're either debating for the sake of it or I've completely misjudged, not that any of us care.

Panix

Smash Ace
lock the thread, it's not a debate anymore, it's a flame war of one guy who can not except the fact that edreeses was trying to share something fun with the community and he had to turn it into the bible like every word said in it was true.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
lock the thread, it's not a debate anymore, it's a flame war of one guy who can not except the fact that edreeses was trying to share something fun with the community and he had to turn it into the bible like every word said in it was true.
How is it "fun" that in Edreeses's opinion a "perfect" Peach is better than a "perfect" Snake? And how is it "fun" that a "bad" Snake is better than a "perfect" low tier. Also, I don't think that Yuna is flaming him, he is just applying logic to this, which I agree with.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
'Xactly. If anything, this thread should be locked until this thing is completely worked out and presented a bit better...

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Yeah right. Like a PT playing PERFECT would'nt beat a MK playing... well... <.<

Sorry, I believe the player skill matters much more than that.

Frown

poekmon
Yuna came into a thread about an anti Bowser Challenge to quote my post after saying Toon Link, Meta Knight, and Peach to say Peach doesn't have combos she has strings..

Yeah, try to win an argument against Yuna.

It will not end until you keep silent.

Hive

Smash Lord
What the hell does this have to do with anything anyone has argued in this thread?

No one challenged the fact that these are famous Peach players.!
you said that no one below edreese had notable skill as a peach player. all of these people in their areas are well known with peach, no one does that unless they are skilled as players.

as for the op thing, it was obvious that he intended this as his own thoughts on the subject, it was never meant to be pure fact. he said so in the op. What else os he supposed to do then if people are still too ******** to listen and decide that he's tricking them and its actually pure fact??? Does he really have to make a disclaimer in bold letters to clarify?

you still haven't answered where your previous "objective analysis" is coming from. do you have a place to review tourney results? is it a product of your own experiences? do you even play brawl competitively?
socal btw has plenty of good players on par with some of the top people, its not filled with local noobs by any means.

edit: @successor- but i liked your old avatar! :p

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman

He's just saying that one player != one character's potential. Lucario's cool and all, but he's not like Metaknight or Snake with quite a few players than win tournies. Even UmbreonMow somewhere said that Lucario's position is largely due to Azen.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

What part of "I am not discrediting Azen at all, but you cannot just look at Azen's achievements alone in the face of possibly no one replicating his prowess or even coming close to and say 'Because Azen can do well with Lucario, Lucario is obviously X good" was too Norwegian for dig å skjonne?

But you see, with Meta Knight, Snake and Diddy Kong, we have several of each running around winning and generally doing very well at tournaments. With Lucario, we have only Azen (my argument - I might be slightly off since there might be Lucarios out there being able to do quite well for themselves, but that's for the opposition to prove).

This is the same principle as the "Marth is the only character in Melee capable of consistently winning tournaments!" BS. No, tournament results based on a very select few players (in this case one) is not the be-all and end-all of character viability.

It is your own fault for not knowing the difference between strings and combos and for lying about how Peach, apparently in your delusional mind, has combos coming out of the wazoo.

If something is admitted to not being totally accurate how on earth can it be presented as factual? If something is admitted to not be totally accurate, why would you even consider interpreting it as factual?

Something can be factual but still inaccurate. As in, it can be based on facts, but just be slightly off.

The OP seems to be claiming that at the highest possible level of play, Peach is better than Snake. It defends this perceived claim by stating that it's not entirely accurate. The interpretation here would be that in reality, Peach, while not better than Snake, at least comes close to being that good.

I'll requote Edrees again here:
Inconsequential. Nowhere does it say that it's just a BS representation of a concept. It's presented as at least partially fact based. Stating very little time was spent on it means nothing.

I think that speaks for itself.
"It's a rough estimate" = "It's a rough approximation, Peach is somewhere near that area"

He does not say that everything was pulled out of his behind. He seems to be implying that the graph is somewhat kinda accuratish.

I stopped reading after this and you'll probably just be repeating yourself.

You need to look up what a flame really is. I have never been punished for flaming here on SWF (despite having on several occasions, such as now, debated moderators (such as Edrees)). Why? Because I'm smart and I don't flame.

you said that no one below edreese had notable skill as a peach player.
No I didn't. Quote me what part of my post you're hallucinating this from.

all of these people in their areas are well known with peach, no one does that unless they are skilled as players.
Again, quote me.

as for the op thing, it was obvious that he intended this as his own thoughts on the subject, it was never meant to be pure fact.
No it's not.

he said so in the op.
No he didn't.

What else os he supposed to do then if people are still too ******** to listen and decide that he's tricking them and its actually pure fact??? Does he really have to make a disclaimer in bold letters to clarify?
How about actually say that it's not factual instead of saying that it merely isn't entirely accurate, which implies that it's at least somewhat accurate (which it isn't)?!

you still haven't answered where your previous "objective analysis" is coming from. do you have a place to review tourney results?
The tourney results people pull out to try to prove their point. Like the ones you did. They did not prove Peach was viable. They proved the opposite. I have yet to encounter any tournament results to support the delusion that Peach is a viable character in Brawl.

is it a product of your own experiences? do you even play brawl competitively?
No. Because no one in Sweden plays Peach Competitively. Yes.

socal btw has plenty of good players on par with some of the top people, its not filled with local noobs by any means.
How many? And how many of these can your venerable Peach players consistently beat?

He's just saying that one player != one character's potential. Lucario's cool and all, but he's not like Metaknight or Snake with quite a few players than win tournies. Even UmbreonMow somewhere said that Lucario's position is largely due to Azen.
That's because unlike certain people, UmbreaonMow is, you know, smart, logical and capable of objective analysis.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
What part of "I am not discrediting Azen at all, but you cannot just look at Azen's achievements alone in the face of possibly no one replicating his prowess or even coming close to and say 'Because Azen can do well with Lucario, Lucario is obviously X good" was too Norwegian for dig å skjonne?

But you see, with Meta Knight, Snake and Diddy Kong, we have several of each running around winning and generally doing very well at tournaments. With Lucario, we have only Azen (my argument - I might be slightly off since there might be Lucarios out there being able to do quite well for themselves, but that's for the opposition to prove).

This is the same principle as the "Marth is the only character in Melee capable of consistently winning tournaments!" BS. No, tournament results based on a very select few players (in this case one) is not the be-all and end-all of character viability.

Screw doing well, can those other Diddys, Snakes, and MKs win tournaments where M2K, Azen, NinjaLink, or Ally are contenders? In other words, who can win a national tournament, and what characters do they use?

By the way, since I have to prove that other Lucario's match Azen's success, you have to prove that there are other Diddy Kongs that can replicate NinjaLink's success. Or even other MKs that resemble M2K himself. These national level players are in their own league, and THAT league is the pinnacle of the metagame, as they are the ones who prove that their characters can be used to win the biggest of the major tournaments.

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice
Quick! lock the thread! Yuna's superior logic is making children go into comas and melting the inferior brains of others!

Top Bottom