• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chatting with the BBR! Today's session cancelled :(

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So, as you all must have realized, Wednesday has come and gone. I must apologize for my absense, as ADHD visited me today, and I haven't seen him in several weeks. I will be available tomorrow afternoon instead.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
That's ok. I was trapped on a highway in 106 degree weather with no air conditioner when my car broke down today. I felt like the chick from ****ing Cujo in there.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
This is false. Brawl was intended to be a competitive game. Sakurai wanted brawl to be played competitively but he did not want it to be played in tournament because he felt that tournaments and the fight to become the "best" would hurt the experience and fun of the game.
*sigh*

Ok, let's degenerate into arguing definitions

Or let's not.

We're obviously talking about tournament play here, why would you disagree with Mario like that when we're all on the same page?

*sigh*

@Pierce: Yes, I noticed :) No big deal though, I personally don't have any pressing questions as of the moment.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
This is false. Brawl was intended to be a competitive game. Sakurai wanted brawl to be played competitively but he did not want it to be played in tournament because he felt that tournaments and the fight to become the "best" would hurt the experience and fun of the game.
*facepalm* Have any proof?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Fair enough. Could anyone give me a rough estimate of what those chances possibly are?

Basic Brawl is a horrible example to give, let's not even bring it up because it's not relevant to the type of gameplay we're discussing (singles, and possibly doubles to an extent).

Could you answer the rest of my questions please?
I just tested on a CPU.

Ganoncide/NTSC

If Ganon is a higher port the game will always end in sudden death. If Ganon is the lower port the other player will always win.

So now we have more of a reason to fight over ports because of the current rule. I say simple is better and thusly the rule should be "the initiator of the suicide move is the winner".
I'm just saying what happened 5 out of 5 times for both ports.

And Bowser is weird, I ended up winning regardless of ports. Is there a way to jump out or DI for either player to bend the situation? I don't really know.

Edit: For clarification I tested on DK/MK (on FD) both as a CPU and a Human (couldn't have entered any inputs) and got the same results.
That .

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure why the initiator of the suicide Flame Choke should be given a win when the game normally prevents such from happening 100% of the time. Is it because Ganondorf is that bad of a character?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I dont understand why people are speaking in terms like ganon is the only one affected by this rule.

Im looking at this as a serious matter because it applies to ganon, bowser, ddd, kirby and I think DK.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I dont understand why people are speaking in terms like ganon is the only one affected by this rule.

Im looking at this as a serious matter because it applies to ganon, bowser, ddd, kirby and I think DK.
And they should each be handled on a case by case format seeing as each move works differently (except for perhaps Kirby's and DDD's, though I'm not going to say that without testing).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That's a really great post at answering a completely different question.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I missed the the aim chat...

Was wondering if anyone could maybe upload the chat logs of the BBR chat? Would be an interesting read, and it might answer a few questions that I already have :p

EDIT: As Pierce was leaving he was able to answer my question, which I'm glad for, but still is there anyone who may have archived the BBR chat? Would be cool to read.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
I missed the the aim chat...

Was wondering if anyone could maybe upload the chat logs of the BBR chat? Would be an interesting read, and it might answer a few questions that I already have :p

EDIT: As Pierce was leaving he was able to answer my question, which I'm glad for, but still is there anyone who may have archived the BBR chat? Would be cool to read.
actually a good idea, will also prevent repitition of questions already answerd

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why the hell is this and the SBR's ruleset stickied?

Edit: Serious question, btw.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
what the hell is this new rules? lot of bull****!

put items on, and then, we speak about competitif, maybe, are bombs or hammer not cheat, u can footstool a guy with hammer so where's the matter?

Come on:

Luigi mansion:
Zelda F-Smash overpowerd from outside to inside or over her.
MK uair WTF?
What can a Pikachu mainer do? i think, not much x)
DDD, can CG u everywhere, great, and competitif Brawl!

GreenGreens:
DDD can infinite wall cg u on 4 places!
MK can't die in the hole.
Bombs add the good % dammage.
MK can easily do the U-air combo to nado kill.
The wind can be fatal against a player. etc...

Pirate Ship:
lol, how can u imagine this stage are fair Oo
Bombs kill u, then this stupid little catapult, and then when the boat is in the air, ur character need 2 mins to fall on the ground.

PictoChat:
Ah yeah, few things are cool, but when the stage change for example with the big line which cuts the stage in two, meh ...

Port Town:
Ur kidding right? I tought first, it was a joke xD
U play practilly without border, all pits will be happy x)
And then the cars who kill u with 50% omg...
The lava is not the same, u need high % to be killed from this.

Pokemon Stadium2:
Yeah, when the stage wouldn't contain this **** transformation with the air, that u fly over the stage, it would be great idea, but come on, with this ****, it's lazy...

When u really want that this ruleset become true, add the items and it's perfect for funnights... but nothing more...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does the BBR ever plan on making a teams tier list?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres a well made group-of-intelligent-smashers determined doubles tier list on aib.

I think its one of inuis blogs.

but i think theres too many variables in doubles to make an official doubles tier list.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
does the BBR ever plan on making a teams tier list?
It's been attempted before and the same general conclusion is usually reached. There are so many variations for teams (considering you also have to include teams of double [insert character]), that the task would be enormous, and there is no concrete data on most of those teams to begin with to even be ranking them in some kind of tier list. Where does Double Jigglypuff go? **** if anyone would know.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Don't forget Diddy - all the European greats team with Diddys, there's gotta be a reason why
Diddy can run away behind his fortress all match and tank stocks. A smart Diddy can just hold this position, providing a wall for his partner to hide behind when he's in trouble, and also set up kills and combos with well-timed bananas. This also allows Diddy to tank stocks for other characters like Meta Knight who can then afford to be all out aggressive.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Because just including each character is a bit... useless. Characters that are amazing in some doubles teams might be awful in others because different characters accomplish different roles in teams, you need to have some way to tell people which teams are good because which characters are good is just gonna result in... double marth for example.

That's why I think my "roles" idea for defining how good characters are in doubles is probably the most useful.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Because just including each character is a bit... useless.
But... It IS fairly less useless than trying to make a tier list of every single team in the game.
you need to have some way to tell people which teams are good because which characters are good is just gonna result in... double marth for example.

whats wrong with double marth?

and lol, are you seriously thinking people are going to choose teams partners or what they play in teams based on a doubles tier list? Most people jsut go based on the singles tier list anyway seeing as the double tier list would just be the singles tier list rearranged by tier anyway.

That's why I think my "roles" idea for defining how good characters are in doubles is probably the most useful.
I personally dont think its worth that much effort, but thats just me.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
But... It IS fairly less useless than trying to make a tier list of every single team in the game.

whats wrong with double marth?

and lol, are you seriously thinking people are going to choose teams partners or what they play in teams based on a doubles tier list? Most people jsut go based on the singles tier list anyway seeing as the double tier list would just be the singles tier list rearranged by tier anyway.

I personally dont think its worth that much effort, but thats just me.
A tierlist is supposed to convey useful information, specifically which characters are more effective in general.

The thing is, when picking a second for a team, any list that doesn't give concrete information of who works well together doesn't really give that, it's just a list in an essentially arbitrary order.

Categorizing roles, explaining what roles work well together, and then giving a tierlist of characters in that given role, that's useful, and makable, unlike a tierlist of each team.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Well i think the one that I linked is a list of how characters perform on average in all of those roles. Which isnt as arbitrary as you might think.

Top Bottom