• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chatting with the BBR! Today's session cancelled :(

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I know it isn't but for practical purposes that's what ends up happening, because the reality is, very few characters just perform well at all of them, most have their strengths and weaknesses, and just picking by tier is gonna pretty much always result in a mismatched team.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you shouldnt be choosing your main based on the tierlist, theres a blatent warning on the tier list that says so. so you shouldnt be choosing your main in doubles based on that either.

Basing how you create a system on results that you are trying to ignore/avoid anyway is kind of hypocritical

Not to mention that if you put any character in the top tier of the list that I gave you with any other character, youll be fine. and if yyou put any character in the bottom tier of that list with another character in that tier, your going to be screwed.

Giving differnt characters different ranks based on who they team with and what teammate they have is kinda like taking the singles tier list, and reranking/replacing those characters in different tiers based on individual matchups.

Its about how those characters perform as a whole, and it should be the same in doubles.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
TL DR

10 organization plz

What a great idea. Let's organize for all of the best players of every character to meet in one place and then team with every other character and play every other team of characters. Oh yeah and we'll need three of everyone so that double character teams can play that character teamed with a different character.

Did you just miss everything that was said?

We don't have information on many teams. And now that I think about it, let's do the math. (For the sake of clarity, I'm including PT as just one character.)

28! / 2! * 26! = 378

378 teams. And we're supposed to arrange all of those into a tier list?

*378 facepalms*

I apologize if my math is off by a slight bit; it's been a long while since I worked with factorials and combinations. If I'm wrong I'd appreciate it if someone corrected me.

D

Deleted member

Is the backroom even paying attention to the current character discussion threads? Wolf's currently stands at 2 pages, and they haven't given any input in response to the people who actually PLAY Wolf(there are no Wolf mains in the BBR as far as I know).

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Is the backroom even paying attention to the current character discussion threads? Wolf's currently stands at 2 pages, and they haven't given any input in response to the people who actually PLAY Wolf(there are no Wolf mains in the BBR as far as I know).
The BR generally doesn't pay attention to the discussion after they leave the BR
You mean for the sake of correctness*
lol yea, but I figure there could be different results depending on who starts, so instead of adding that into the mix I just left it as is

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
We are releasing our discussions to the public, not really continuing them in public. We can post in them if we like, but keep in mind, while each of you is looking at ONE topic, we have FOUR still going in the BBR each week we need to read and focus on. If you want BBR members to respond to something, it's a lot easier to just -ask- for them to post, rather than expect them to autonomously.

D

Deleted member

I understand that, but I also think it's important to research what the players themselves have to say about their characters. The backroom doesn't know everything.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I'm sure we will read the stuff said when the tier list voting starts. At least I will.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Five, actually.
I forgot we already are in the last weeks doing low tier aren't we? So yeah, five. It's true that the further down the tier list we go he less feedback you're going to get on each character as mains of those characters generally tend to get more and more rare as you keep going down, but like I said, it's probably a more reasonable request to just message members you want feedback and more responses from.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Can I assume that shift + 8 will make a common appearance? :laugh:

Regardless, I'll probably have a rather large piece of my mind to say when the BBR's Ike topic goes public. We'll see though. If I see a few "certain" comments, I shall be unleashing a rant or two.

D

Deleted member

Can I assume that shift + 8 will make a common appearance? :laugh:

Regardless, I'll probably have a rather large piece of my mind to say when the BBR's Ike topic goes public. We'll see though. If I see a few "certain" comments, I shall be unleashing a rant or two.
You're not alone in having to deal with those "certain" comments. :p

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I think a problem is that since our Tier List Update is due soon, we're rushing. Our ruleset got delayed twice, and that's not counting the extra week or two tacked on to go from 3.0 to 3.1. Now, trying to discuss the entire cast means that we're actually moving faster than we should be, doing several discussions per week instead of doing just a couple. As we get farther down on the tier list, we start to care less. This is resulting in some threads being pitifully undetailed.

When we are all caught up with everything, I hope that the BBR can take some time out to go and do character board visitation as was done in the beginning. Some character boards need reconstucting anyway, and it will give pretty much everyone to get a lot of "face time" with the whole BBR. When this does happen, I'll heavily encourage all BBR members to participate in all of the discussions (because you can ASK QUESTIONS if you have nothing to contribute).

However, that project is something I'm not looking to start immediately, because we have a lot on our plates for now. I will carry the notice that more participation in the character discussions is requested.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Tomorrow Monday? Yep! Okay. This will be happening ALL AFTERNOON TOMORROW! That's from 12pm to AT LEAST 6pm EST

I understand people have work and school is starting up and the like, so I will TRY to stay on past 6, and possibly well into the night, but I cannot promise that.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Tomorrow Monday? Yep! Okay. This will be happening ALL AFTERNOON TOMORROW! That's from 12pm to AT LEAST 6pm EST

I understand people have work and school is starting up and the like, so I will TRY to stay on past 6, and possibly well into the night, but I cannot promise that.
Is this on AIM or what? :S

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I will be on several messaging services (AIM, Skype, MSN, Facebook). My AIM SN is 'Pierce7d'. My MSN is 'ultrasnide7@hotmail.com'. My Skype is also 'Pierce7d'. My real name is Daniel Seraphin, so you can find me on Facebook. If you add me on Facebook, please send a brief message stating that you are a Smasher, so I know you're not just a dummy account, otherwise I will NOT add you.
So yeah, I'll be on AIM.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Because I've had a busy week (just got back from Raleigh, today was my first day of College as a Freshman), I was unable to run the chat this week. I sincerely apologize. I should be able to stick to my schedule of every Wednesday though, because I don't have classes on Wednesdays.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As it's Wednesday, the BBR chat will be live today. As usual, I'll be active to answer any and all questions about the BBR (while respecting the privacy of it's members) or you can just ask me questions about Smash in General.

This will begin at 2:00pm EST time and last till about 5 or 6. That's in an hour (cause I'm gonna go eat lunch first :p)

Starting next Wednesday, mostly on Wednesdays but at least one day each week, I will be on several messaging services (AIM, Skype, MSN, Facebook). My AIM SN is 'Pierce7d'. My MSN is 'ultrasnide7@hotmail.com'. My Skype is also 'Pierce7d'. My real name is Daniel Seraphin, so you can find me on Facebook. If you add me on Facebook, please send a brief message stating that you are a Smasher, so I know you're not just a dummy account, otherwise I will NOT add you.

This I believe.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
(3:48pm EST) The chat is temporarily inactive, experiencing tech difficulties. it'll be back up in a few moments.

(3:55pm EST) We should be good to go now.

(4:01pm EST) You'll have to IM me to get access to the chat, the code is BBR

I merged the three above posts and am adding this one to learn how to do it and not have a quadruple post. Anyway, I know I'm late on it but I just wanted to thank everyone who came out for the chat, and I hope to speak to you all and more next Wednesday!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I was reading the thread that DMG wrote on planking. From what I read, the reason why it is broken is because he basically gets two invincible U-airs, then he can just re-grab the ledge and repeat this over and over again. Why don't they just make a rule against that? Make a rule that bans U-air as the first attack while on the ledge(when using MK). This fixes the planking problem.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I was reading the thread that DMG wrote on planking. From what I read, the reason why it is broken is because he basically gets two invincible U-airs, then he can just re-grab the ledge and repeat this over and over again. Why don't they just make a rule against that? Make a rule that bans U-air as the first attack while on the ledge(when using MK). This fixes the planking problem.
I think it would be better to ban Uair as the second move, or just say that you can't Uair twice in a row. But all of these rules just seem to pssyfoot around how good he is...

Not trying to start an MK discussion here though.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I think banning a move like mk's uair from the ledge would be silly. It's a smart option to use when your at the ledge. I'm sure there are other characters that have very safe and plankable moves at the ledge. Just in my eyes.... Banning a move is dumb cause if it happens by mistake then what? Or what if they are just trying to come back to stage safe or trying to get a gimp or just normal uair from the ledge? They lose? I'm sure an mk player not even the best doesn't deserve to lose because of something safe or good like that. If a move should be banned in this case I think shuttle loop would be a better choice but it's still silly to ban. I think the ledge rule is good enough for this.

I'm sure I was no help to this XD

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I think banning a move like mk's uair from the ledge would be silly. It's a smart option to use when your at the ledge. I'm sure there are other characters that have very safe and plankable moves at the ledge. Just in my eyes.... Banning a move is dumb cause if it happens by mistake then what? Or what if they are just trying to come back to stage safe or trying to get a gimp or just normal uair from the ledge? They lose? I'm sure an mk player not even the best doesn't deserve to lose because of something safe or good like that. If a move should be banned in this case I think shuttle loop would be a better choice but it's still silly to ban. I think the ledge rule is good enough for this.

I'm sure I was no help to this XD
Regardless of what you said, your avatar just won this thread.

Top Bottom