• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chibo's Brawl Wavedashing Guide: Applications, Techniques, and Tutorial Updated 10-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I know SBR has the knowledge for the competitive scene and all but we shouldn't limit ourselves to their rulings -_-

I think for now a good side-event in a tournament would be just fine and let the people get a feel for it, and if everyone started liking the hacked version better then we'll go ahead from there.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
rogue pit is comin over my place today to try out some wavedash brawl lol. il record some friendly matches of us playing

Crow!

Smash Lord
OP misses the most obvious con to the wavedashing system in Brawl as currently implemented:

"Air dodging" can no longer be used defensively. You stall forever and then are helpless; if you try to airdodge through a juggler now, even if you avoid the initial attack, you WILL be punished as you plummet to the ground helplessly. Characters without good and fast uairs and dairs can no longer keep up with the characters that do.

XienZo

Smash Lord
LOL, this is going to help Olimar so much... well in hacked tournaments... but whistle is the closest replacement to airdodging, and he'll be able to like CG with his pikmin.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Crow. People got around it in melee didn't they? Besides, characters that have attacks fast enough to bait and punish airdodges in brawl are normally considered better anyway.

Not like this will become a competitive standard anyway. But I wouldn't mind playing some mad friendlies with this (and little side tournaments lol).

Also, something to fix in your original post. Airdodging in melee required you to press the L or R button all the way down too, so that didn't change in brawl. And the window for wavedashing is actually very short for some characters in melee (it's like 3-4 frames for Fox), so I'm pretty sure we can handle it.

Now that I think about it, Sonic's recovery is now pretty much broken.
1.Up B
2.Waveland on stage
3.????
4.Profit!
5.Steak!!!!

Also, Sonic is now melee Captain Falcon. Dash dancing (the weird foxtrot->dash dance thing), wavedash, dash dance again. And suddenly you have melee style mindgames.

Speaking of which, that's the next thing you should work on. Drastically increasing the window for dash dancing.

Adapt

Smash Lord
OP misses the most obvious con to the wavedashing system in Brawl as currently implemented:

"Air dodging" can no longer be used defensively. You stall forever and then are helpless; if you try to airdodge through a juggler now, even if you avoid the initial attack, you WILL be punished as you plummet to the ground helplessly. Characters without good and fast uairs and dairs can no longer keep up with the characters that do.
Exactly

Characters who have long range moves which can be followed up or spammed also get better. Samus' zair will be crazy, ZSS gets a ton more combos that are normally broken by airdodging, pit's arrows become hellish, etc

MuBa

Smash Lord
Exactly

Characters who have long range moves which can be followed up or spammed also get better. Samus' zair will be crazy, ZSS gets a ton more combos that are normally broken by airdodging, pit's arrows become hellish, etc
You haven't even tried applying wavedash in Brawl have you?

Samus'z Zair isn't crazy with wavedashing, it's still got enough end animation to not be able to wavedash into something else.

Pit's arrows, wtf...only implementation I can see is a well timed arrow loop and a wavedash into something, not broken, just technical.

ZSS, well I haven't played as her yet but I'm sure she isn't that broken.

MetaKnight isn't ultra broken with a wavedash. =/

Seriously guys. GET THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL AND OCARINA and try the **** technique for yourselves and stop making stupid assumptions on what's broken and what isn't >=/

If you can cough up $300 to get a Wii and a copy of Brawl, then I'm sure you can buy an SD card and reader.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Lacks Brawl's new characters, a decent Kirby, and new stages.

Again, go away.
:embarrass

ADAPT!

This isn't your game, it's Sakurai's game made for you. You can't really expect SSBM and SSBB to be the same, really.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for Wavedashing in Brawl as a fun diversion ... but not for Brawl tournaments. Brawl is one game, Melee is a different game. If you like Brawl as it is, then great! Enjoy playing Brawl. If you prefer Melee, then great! Play Melee to your heart's content.

Personally, I struggle to imagine myself enjoying Brawl with Wavedashing, not because I have something against the technique itself, but because it takes away the airdodge game of Brawl by altering the mechanics. After playing Brawl for months, I have a hard time imagining going back to an air-dodge-and-drop type of play. I love being able to air-dodge fast-fall through someone's aerial only to land my own UAir.

And off the top of my head, without multiple air dodges, Din's Fire instantly becomes the most broken move in the game.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
:embarrass

ADAPT!

This isn't your game, it's Sakurai's game made for you. You can't really expect SSBM and SSBB to be the same, really.
ADAPT? To what? What in my previous statement needs "ADAPT" as a response.

We bought the game. We can do what we please with the game. No matter how much you ***** about something that WON'T EFFECT YOU, we will do as we please.

So AGAIN, go away. Because that report button is looking very friendly right now....

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
ADAPT? To what? What in my previous statement needs "ADAPT" as a response.

We bought the game. We can do what we please with the game.
Nintendo's legal teams disapprove.

No matter how much you ***** about something that WON'T EFFECT YOU, we will do as we please.

So AGAIN, go away. Because that report button is looking very friendly right now....
Reported.

Revven

FrankerZ
Figured I'd post my Wavedashing in Brawl Part 2 here as well for those curious about everyone's wavedash length and "combo" potential. I suck at Yoshi's, Snake's, and Peach's though. D:

Part 1 is there for those wondering about the first few characters.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Figured I'd post my Wavedashing in Brawl Part 2 here as well for those curious about everyone's wavedash length and "combo" potential. I suck at Yoshi's, Snake's, and Peach's though. D:
Seems helpfull for captain falcon, I think I saw some combos there.

Revven

FrankerZ
Seems helpfull for captain falcon, I think I saw some combos there.
Indeed, at least, potential ones. Didn't really see if the part after the Usmash can be DIed out of (doubtful it can because it's at such a low percent). Really good combo and set up potential right there.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Well I dunno about everyone else, but I see potential for tournaments. Not to replace what Brawl already is, more along the lines of seperate tourneys all together. (Like having a Brawl event, and having a second tournament for hacks, Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 or Brawl hack, whatever u would name it).

This is the easiest way to keep everyone happy. I like the idea of using this in tourneys but it cant be done unless everyone accepts it (or a majority).

Also (since Im broke and got the Wii and Brawl through people being nice and buying it for me), is it possible to try new wavedashing CGs with the computer trying to avoid u? I wanna know if its at all possible to CG with Wolf

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Sakurai designed the game and characters with normal air dodging considered so wouldn't doing this break brawl? This make's juggling X10 better and edge guarding over 9000 times. If this needs to be used for side events I think that people need to balance things out.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lets get the gay ledges a good coding and wheres that l canceling at.

brawl HAS to have its own unique at tho... at least wavedashing makes some chars a bit better. l cancel would even bring some mid tiers into high

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
these hacks also help bring MK down (since he has no need to L cancel and his WD gives him practically nothing). MK wouldnt be God anymore

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
Also, Sonic is now melee Captain Falcon. Dash dancing (the weird foxtrot->dash dance thing), wavedash, dash dance again. And suddenly you have melee style mindgames.

Speaking of which, that's the next thing you should work on. Drastically increasing the window for dash dancing.
Give sonic the knee, and Ill start playing brawl.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Brawl lacks good gameplay.

You know, where you play a game because the gameplay makes the game enjoyable?

If all I cared about was graphics and soundtrack I'd be playing Crysis all day.
Brawl's gameplay is decent enough (Blows in compariison to Melee I know). And I like playing a decent Kirby more then playing Melee's mid-to-High tiers constantly (The only characters I enjoy using).

Samsquamptch

Smash Cadet
Sakurai designed the game and characters with normal air dodging considered so wouldn't doing this break brawl? This make's juggling X10 better and edge guarding over 9000 times. If this needs to be used for side events I think that people need to balance things out.
They didn't design Melee with wavedashing in mind.

As for your comment about this being Sakurai's game made for us, he didn't make it for us. He made it for the items-on, random level-deaths, mario kart blue shell loving anyone should be able to win consumers who make up a far larger market share.

If you feel guilty about changing their game then don't.

Adapt

Smash Lord
You haven't even tried applying wavedash in Brawl have you?

Samus'z Zair isn't crazy with wavedashing, it's still got enough end animation to not be able to wavedash into something else.

Pit's arrows, wtf...only implementation I can see is a well timed arrow loop and a wavedash into something, not broken, just technical.

ZSS, well I haven't played as her yet but I'm sure she isn't that broken.

MetaKnight isn't ultra broken with a wavedash. =/
You seriously just missed my point.

The fact is: YOU CAN ONLY AIRDODGE ONCE!!

Pit can arrow spam you all day long when you are off the stage and you can't airdodge or you will die. A competent Pit can prolly get 20ish free damage from this.

Samus can do the same, only worse because she can already zair someone off the stage multiple times into a blast zone. without multiple air dodges you can't escape it without falling to your doom.

Speaking of MK.... and ROB for that matter.... they can just follow you off the stage and keep hitting till you are screwed. then they can make it back because of their awesome recoveries. You will have a hell of a time avoiding them because you can't airdodge the attack and get behind them.

ZSS is one of the few of the cast that can escape some of these tactics due to the 12 frames of invulnerability in her flip jump. (and the threat of a very powerful spike :) )
She also gains a lot of combos that are ruined by being able to airdodge before hitstun ends. Sure people can still airdodge them, but they become helpless and run the risk of being dsmash stunned and ending up worse off.

Seriously.... due to the general floatiness of brawl, the better projectile games, and the amazing recoveries of certain characters the limitation of a single airdodge is a very big deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom