• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong: you're only reading this title cause you're bored

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Cranky support icon:

Apparently, Cranky is on the cover of the Tropical Freeze:

I hope this is the case. It would be a good for him to in Smash. There are some whippersnappers in Smash that need a good caning.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Cranky IS the 4th playable, does that mean Mii's are confirmed?

Since the rumor states mii's in Smash and Cranky being the 4th Kong in DKCR2 would be revealed at the same time

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
IDK it was a rumor flying around in the Social thread

Ask Golden or them for the source

The rumor is that Reggie is going to announce Mii's, by having HIS mii showcased in the reveal clip

Which kind of makes sense with the whole Twitter thing saying "Sakurai will consider reggie if the petition reaches X signatures" going around

And that later Cranky would be revealed by Reggie as well

All during VGX, which Reggie stated he has a big surprise for

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
IDK it was a rumor flying around in the Social thread

Ask Golden or them for the source

The rumor is that Reggie is going to announce Mii's, by having HIS mii showcased in the reveal clip

Which kind of makes sense with the whole Twitter thing saying "Sakurai will consider reggie if the petition reaches X signatures" going around

And that later Cranky would be revealed by Reggie as well

All during VGX, which Reggie stated he has a big surprise for
I see how it's possible, but we really need a source. Is it just speculation, or was there a supposed "leak" of the information?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
To be fair, the leaked box art of tropical freeze was released before this "leak" came to be. So still take it with a grain of salt.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
****ing LOL!

I agree with these tweets. Like anyone gave a crap about the manchild VGX outside of Cranky

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Scrooge McDuck learned the ways of a pogo from Cranky. It all makes sense now, full circle!

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Cranky being playable was an interesting announcement, however less powerful and surprising because of the leak of Amazon Italy (thanks Amazon -.-)

I would like the idea of Cranky being playable, but honestly: King K.Rool will be first while Dixie seems to be another possible character for the DK series in Smash. With 4 characters in Smash (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K.Rool) the franchise would have enough representative characters. So I don't see a chance for Cranky being playable in Smash 4. I even doubt he will make it in Smash 5.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does it seem pretty odd that even though Cranky is playable in Tropical Freeze, I still have him as an Assist Trophy for Smash 4? I guess unlike with Rosalina, I don't really care what status Cranky Kong is given.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

LOL language

LOL language

Now I'm obviously being biased by showing the positive results only, but the negative ones are just either:

1) Disappointed that Nintendo didn't reveal anything else at VGX (why should they, it's the VGX)
2) Retro being forced to make a "c-tier" franchise
3) Where's Metroid
4) Where's Zelda

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, while I was really just kidding around by claiming Cranky is a shoo-in when the box art leaked, I think what his playability in Tropical Freeze does is alter the dynamic of the Donkey Kong franchise in a way that no longer makes it "complete" with just four characters. Once K. Rool and Dixie are in, Cranky has now proven himself to be a perfectly viable fifth character. He's essentially a far, far more important Rosalina now, and if he gets the fan support needed to rise to the top of the progressively smaller pack of contenders, he could very well get into Smash as soon as SSB5 at this rate.

Also, I saw this post on DKVine and am copying it over because it's awesome.

"HAH! Your new game is a commercial flop, and I'm the goddamn king of Nintendo tonight! Guess what, Mario? I've waited thirty years to say this... I WIN."

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cranky in SSB5, as long as Dixie and K.Rool get in before him. Now, let's just have K.Rool be the boss of Tropical Freeze and we've got the whole DK gang we need.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Well, while I was really just kidding around by claiming Cranky is a shoo-in when the box art leaked, I think what his playability in Tropical Freeze does is alter the dynamic of the Donkey Kong franchise in a way that no longer makes it "complete" with just four characters. Once K. Rool and Dixie are in, Cranky has now proven himself to be a perfectly viable fifth character. He's essentially a far, far more important Rosalina now, and if he gets the fan support needed to rise to the top of the progressively smaller pack of contenders, he could very well get into Smash as soon as SSB5 at this rate.

"HAH! Your new game is a commercial flop, and I'm the goddamn king of Nintendo tonight! Guess what, Mario? I've waited thirty years to say this... I WIN."
However I can't imagine of a franchise being represented by more than 4 characters at least until now. Therfore I still believe 4 characters per franchise are enough as Sakurai doesn't want a roster of 100 characters later on. Honestly: The most important characters of the Mario series are already in the roster. For me the most significant ones are the characters of Mario Party 1 and the playable characters were Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Donkey Kong and Wario. The main ennemy is also already part of the roster. (Bowser)
The Donkey Kong series also offers many characters, especially with the Kongs from DK64. Still: If we get Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong and King K.Rool, I don't see a need for a 5th character from any series. If Cranky gets in, Sakurai will kick Dixie, maybe, because Cranky could have a more unique moveset in the Smash roster. I don't see Dixie and Cranky in the same Smash game and I am still crossing fingers for King K.Rool. King K.Rool looks totally different from the Kongs and therefore has to be in the roster, while Cranky and Dixie are both monkeys and therefore I prefer 3 monkeys and a crocodile to four monkeys and no crocodile. We will have to wait until Sakurai reveals either Dixie or Cranky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is glorious. So glorious that I regret not being able to hack, so I would hack all accounts on Smashboards to like this post.

If this is the foreshadow of Donkey Kong finally beating out Mario, am kind of upset I missed the VGX yesterday night.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Of course it won't be like Rosalina.

Cranky isn't anybody's waifu, nor can you zoom the camera up from underneath him to examine his undergarments. As such, he won't get a fraction of the fan support blind expectation of inclusion.
Admit it M&SG. This is why you don't support Cranky that much.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cranky is so damn awesome. Am happy it's him that's making room for lesser roles of Diddy and Dixie. I wouldn't accept it from any other character besides K.Rool or Lanky probably. Hoping to see him playable more often from now on! We gotta work on a moveset now however!

Neutral B: Barrel Throw. Throw back to the arcade Donkey Kong. It's his trademark, and no other Kong will be doing this instead of Cranky. A very strong projectile attack. Can only spam a barrel each 30 seconds however.
Side B: Pogo-Cane. Tropical Freeze style. If footstooling with this attack, it turns into a mighty spike attack. Press B to jump when you are going in Pogo-mode.
Up B: Squawks. Cranky's most selled item in DKCR comes up and lifts Cranky up to bring him back to the stage. If Squawks is attacked however, he'll drop Cranky off and can't be summoned again till he leaves the screen.
Down B: Magical Potion. A risky attack that has many different ways of working. Cranky drinks a potion he brewed himself to power himself up in battle. The sort of effect is has is portraited by a colorful aura. Red = temporary more attack power. Blue = temporary weight increase (up to DK's weight) and super armor on his Pogo-Cane. Green = Faster movement (up to Diddy's speed). Yellow = Better jumping. Sometimes it backfires however and Cranky takes 15% damage.

Final Smash: Retro Flashback.
Everyone spawns on a 2D construction site, where Cranky, now as 'Classic DK' will bombard his foes with barrels, springs, and little fire enemies. Cranky himself can move around to, and if made contact with his enemies he'll leash out a mighty punch that has very strong knockback.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cranky is so damn awesome. Am happy it's him that's making room for lesser roles of Diddy and Dixie. I wouldn't accept it from any other character besides K.Rool or Lanky probably. Hoping to see him playable more often from now on! We gotta work on a moveset now however!

Neutral B: Barrel Throw. Throw back to the arcade Donkey Kong. It's his trademark, and no other Kong will be doing this instead of Cranky. A very strong projectile attack. Can only spam a barrel each 30 seconds however.
Side B: Pogo-Cane. Tropical Freeze style. If footstooling with this attack, it turns into a mighty spike attack. Press B to jump when you are going in Pogo-mode.
Up B: Squawks. Cranky's most selled item in DKCR comes up and lifts Cranky up to bring him back to the stage. If Squawks is attacked however, he'll drop Cranky off and can't be summoned again till he leaves the screen.
Down B: Magical Potion. A risky attack that has many different ways of working. Cranky drinks a potion he brewed himself to power himself up in battle. The sort of effect is has is portraited by a colorful aura. Red = temporary more attack power. Blue = temporary weight increase (up to DK's weight) and super armor on his Pogo-Cane. Green = Faster movement (up to Diddy's speed). Yellow = Better jumping. Sometimes it backfires however and Cranky takes 15% damage.

Final Smash: Retro Flashback.
Everyone spawns on a 2D construction site, where Cranky, now as 'Classic DK' will bombard his foes with barrels, springs, and little fire enemies. Cranky himself can move around to, and if made contact with his enemies he'll leash out a mighty punch that has very strong knockback.

i am working on a moveset

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
You're taking things a little too far here..

Is this actually the first Cranky support icon that has been made?

That's rather surprising, to me at least.
yeah, i made it since I couldn't find any others. hard finding a good Cranky Kong pic.

On VGX: VGX was luck they got that Cranky Kong announcement controversy. People will take slightly longer to stop caring about VGX or whatever Spike wants to rebrand it.

Top Bottom