• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong: you're only reading this title cause you're bored

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here's a warped little thought nugget I'd like to deposit in here regarding why Cranky might be a more viable choice than meets the eye.

We know that Tropical Freeze was pulled from E3 2012 at the last minute, meaning it was at least somewhat developed around the same time Sakurai began development on SSB4, and thus, began selecting characters, the very first thing he did with Brawl. Now, given the known and varied involvements of Intelligent Systems, the Pokemon Company, Aonuma, and one of the Kid Icarus developers (who IIRC joked about a new spin-off using Pit's Brawl model) in previous Smash development, we know that a hodge-podge of developers are involved in the creation of content, but whether Sakurai decides on content based on their input or decides on content before seeking assistance is unknown.

With this in mind, should Sakurai seek input from Retro in relation to Donkey Kong, Tropical Freeze and its two new Kongs would surely come up. However, whereas most speculators see Dixie as the more major inclusion over Cranky, rightly or wrongly, Sakurai would not experience any six month hiatus between Dixie's playable reveal and Cranky's playable reveal. He'd find out about both in succession (I'm picturing him in a Skype conversation with the Awkward Retro Guy from VGX), which may boost his perception of Cranky's importance more than we're already speculating.

Granted, Dixie being textbook semi-clone material and the (arguably, depending on whether you lump the importance of Arcade DK into Cranky) more important character still could put Cranky on the backburner, and K. Rool remains K. Rool, possibly pulling further ahead if Dixie and Cranky cannibalize each other as "new Kongs." That being said, the people who said that Cranky is on equal footing as Dixie based solely on Tropical Freeze may definitely be onto something, when Sakurai's possible behind-the-scenes actions are taken to mind.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Can you just imagine if tomorrow during the Direct, we get a new trailer? DK and Bowser are fighting in the jungle, punching each other and knocking each other in front of the treehouse. Suddenly, the door bursts open. Our newcomer appears...singing:

"I'M GONNA BE A STAR!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bumped.

I'm going to be more serious in my support for Cranky now. Cranky > Dixie all the way.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would greatly enjoy the inclusion of Cranky in a post-K. Rool reveal world so that this may be reenacted.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i guess i'll make a supporters list soon

heres another idea for his final smash: he turns into his younger self (from the original arcade) and rains barrels and springs down upon the stage

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah after playing Tropical Freeze I'm taking a liking to this guy, a lot. He's my favorite to use (DK got nothing :( ) and he's the best for speedruns.

Honestly I've been torn on what DK newcomer I really wanted since it's one of my favorite franchises (Country and arcade) but I've been 50/50 on Dixie and K.Rool. Tropical Freeze made my decision easier and now I want Cranky, if not for the simple fact that he's the only that could represent arcade/Game Boy/MvDK DK, and I personally think it's better than another Country related representation. Scratch that, Cranky still would be because he's Cranky, just not on the moveset side. Happy medium!

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Can we just talk about how the inclusion of Cranky Kong would eventually lead to a Scrooge McDuck model swap?

I'm so okay with that.

andimidna

Smash Master
I used to think he was going to be in as the 4th DK character after Dixie, but the direct changed my thoughts on him.
I'm back to hoping for/expecting Dixie and K Rool.

But still, put me down as a supporter :p
(also... change the title to something more... Cranky.)

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
"Cranky Kong for Smash 4! He'll whip those whippersnappers into shape!"

"The original Donkey Kong: Cranky Kong for Smash!"

Something along those lines.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
I support
it is better than playing as a female Diddy Kong
Cranky Kong>Dixie Kong

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ugh, you should have made a thread about one of the Metroid Prime 4 Hunters, not f***ing Cranky Kong. Great, Nintendo is trying to kill off the Wii U by forcing Smashboards users to make threads for characters who aren't from Metroid Prime 4. How ever will they impress the upstanding members of the gaming community at VGX now?

RIP Nintendo.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ugh, you should have made a thread about one of the Metroid Prime 4 Hunters, not f***ing Cranky Kong. Great, Nintendo is trying to kill off the Wii U by forcing Smashboards users to make threads for characters who aren't from Metroid Prime 4. How ever will they impress the upstanding members of the gaming community at VGX now?

RIP Nintendo.
I'm sorry, what?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

RIP Nintendo.
Is this some sort of joke? I don't get it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm sorry, what?
Is this some sort of joke? I don't get it.
In a nutshell, hordes of NeoGAF users went into the VGX Awards last December fully expecting Nintendo to reveal a new Metroid game, or a new Star Fox, or a new Startropics, or a new Murasame Castle...you get the idea. Most were completely blindsided by Nintendo promoting Tropical Freeze with Cranky Kong, and reacted with about as much maturity (and profanity) as you'd expect.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In a nutshell, hordes of NeoGAF users went into the VGX Awards last December fully expecting Nintendo to reveal a new Metroid game, or a new Star Fox, or a new Startropics, or a new Murasame Castle...you get the idea. Most were completely blindsided by Nintendo promoting Tropical Freeze with Cranky Kong, and reacted with about as much maturity (and profanity) as you'd expect.
Gotcha

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
Here are my amazing ideas for the most unique DK character ever:

Up B: extra live Balloon, he sells those things so he'll have a bunch of those.
Down B: Cane Jump from TF.
Forward B: Rocking Chair sprint, from the credits scene from the SNES games.
B: Spitting out dentures that are biting the enemy when hitting. from TF

A moves: bunch of Cane attacks.

Final Smash: Younger Self: puts the cane on the floor, stands upright, construction sites grow from the stage so he stands on the top of the screen. Starts throwing barrels and trampolines around for a few moments until there is a comical spine crack noise and a "GAH" face from Cranky. Then he picks up his cane and is back to his cranky self.

personally I feel he is a much more fun character than Dixie and K.Rool

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here are my amazing ideas for the most unique DK character ever:

Up B: extra live Balloon, he sells those things so he'll have a bunch of those.
Down B: Cane Jump from TF.
Forward B: Rocking Chair sprint, from the credits scene from the SNES games.
B: Spitting out dentures that are biting the enemy when hitting. from TF

A moves: bunch of Cane attacks.

Final Smash: Younger Self: puts the cane on the floor, stands upright, construction sites grow from the stage so he stands on the top of the screen. Starts throwing barrels and trampolines around for a few moments until there is a comical spine crack noise and a "GAH" face from Cranky. Then he picks up his cane and is back to his cranky self.

personally I feel he is a much more fun character than Dixie and K.Rool
i take it i should add you to supporters list

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Reporting from E3! So after each round of Smash Run you earn random stuff. One of the things you can get are trophies.
I'm sure everyone can guess where I'm going with this.
Sorry guys. :(

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Reporting from E3! So after each round of Smash Run you earn random stuff. One of the things you can get are trophies.
I'm sure everyone can guess where I'm going with this.
Sorry guys. :(
oh well didnt think he was likely anyway

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think Cranky Kong is a great idea, although it does seem unlikely. I see nothing wrong with putting an elderly character in a fighting game. What would be ridiculous is adding a character to smash that can barely move within their own game, and after seeing clips from Tropical Freeze it is apparent that Cranky is able to get around just fine. Plus, it's canon that he's the original Donkey Kong, and that merits his inclusion alone... :)

As for his apparent dis-confirmations, I don't see why it would be very difficult to take away his shadow in Jungle Japes if need be, and could someone please provide a link proving that he's a collectable trophy in Smash Run? I know he doesn't have much of a chance, but I would like proof all the same.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Can anyone think of any other elderly characters that warrant an inclusion within Smash? Cranky is honestly the only one that comes to my mind.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can anyone think of any other elderly characters that warrant an inclusion within Smash? Cranky is honestly the only one that comes to my mind.
i believe e. gadd and toadsworth have support threads on the forum somewhere but really itll vary from person to person

personally id be fine with just cranky on a side note id love to see him and the other two i mentioned in mario kart one day

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
will i doubt will get cranky over dixie at this point.Doesn't mean i can't support the character right.I can say just because he has a trophy doesn't mean he can't be playable(mewtwo) so now anything is possible.Besides Cranky can easily be unique and would be a nice retro character(how to you get older than the original dk)

Top Bottom